PDA

View Full Version : is S&T realistic option for Felton

PacersPride
06-28-2010, 02:32 AM
i think Felton is a free agent so im not sure why Charlotte would do a S&T for Ford but is that a realistic option? has anyone heard anything on it.

Collison is the pg i would like to see the pacers acquire but they may want more than just expirings and i dont see a reason to include draft picks or break up our core, in return for junk contracts in Posey or Okafor.

cant think of any other pg options so was wondering if anyone has info on a S&T for Felton.

or would Charlotte even consider it.

joew8302
06-28-2010, 02:51 AM
I live in the Carolina's and there is a big debate in Charlotte on Felton. I would say the fans are about 50/50 on whether to keep him or let him walk. Last year he rejected a 5 yr 30 million dollar deal (something in that neighborhood), and signed on for one more year at 5 million.

Overall Felton had a good season, but got absolutely torched by Jameer Nelson in the playoffs. I see Felton as no better than an average starting pg in the NBA, which compared to what we have is a significant upgrade.

I am sure Charlotte would be open to a s/t for the right price with Felton, and I know I would like to have Felton on the team under the right circumstances. Price is the big thing. I would like Felton at around 5 million per year or less, but again, Felton rejected that last summer in the hopes of a big money, long term deal.

So in essence I would like Felton, but not for the amount of money he is seeking or he believes he is worth. I guess Felton could happen, but I don't see it being very likely.

PacersPride
06-28-2010, 02:58 AM
the guy is probably worth 6.5 @ 4 years. question is would he accept a backup role. if indy could work a s&t for Ford. let felton start for two seasons and we address pg via the draft of free agency next offseason. i just dont see a reason why charlotte would want to add salary, they would likley just let him walk instead of taking TJ in return.

thanks for the info!

I live in the Carolina's and there is a big debate in Charlotte on Felton. I would say the fans are about 50/50 on whether to keep him or let him walk. Last year he rejected a 5 yr 30 million dollar deal (something in that neighborhood), and signed on for one more year at 5 million.

Overall Felton had a good season, but got absolutely torched by Jameer Nelson in the playoffs. I see Felton as no better than an average starting pg in the NBA, which compared to what we have is a significant upgrade.

I am sure Charlotte would be open to a s/t for the right price with Felton, and I know I would like to have Felton on the team under the right circumstances. Price is the big thing. I would like Felton at around 5 million per year or less, but again, Felton rejected that last summer in the hopes of a big money, long term deal.

So in essence I would like Felton, but not for the amount of money he is seeking or he believes he is worth. I guess Felton could happen, but I don't see it being very likely.

joew8302
06-28-2010, 03:02 AM
the guy is probably worth 6.5 @ 4 years. question is would he accept a backup role. if indy could work a s&t for Ford. let felton start for two seasons and we address pg via the draft of free agency next offseason. i just dont see a reason why charlotte would want to add salary, they would likley just let him walk instead of taking TJ in return.

thanks for the info!

6.5 Million over 4 years is quite a bit to pay a guy you don't expect to start (at least for Indiana). I mean we didn't match Jack at 5 mil per year over 4 yrs, so I doubt the front office would give Felton 6.5 million per year. If that was the asking price I say no thanks to Felton. As you said, he is another guy who would be looked at as a short term answer, not a long term one.

I MIGHT go 2 yrs at 12 million, but that is about my limit for Felton.

PacersPride
06-28-2010, 03:09 AM
6.5 Million over 4 years is quite a bit to pay a guy you don't expect to start (at least for Indiana). I mean we didn't match Jack at 5 mil per year over 4 yrs, so I doubt the front office would give Felton 6.5 million per year. If that was the asking price I say no thanks to Felton. As you said, he is another guy who would be looked at as a short term answer, not a long term one.

I MIGHT go 2 yrs at 12 million, but that is about my limit for Felton.

not resigning Jack was a bad move. 4 yrs 5 million, thats about the going rate for backup pg's i would tend to believe. i hope im wrong but i dont see us acquiring our pg to run this team for the next 10 years through the expirings. its gonna happen through the draft. in essense we need someone who is a fringe starter at the right price. i would be fine w/ felton cause he does not force us to trade rush or core in additon to draft picks. and he is an upgrade over ford.

resigning jack would have made alot of sense right now.

BornReady
06-28-2010, 03:11 AM
I feel like it is realistic, particularly because the Bobcats said that he would revisit prior trades. I feel like Felton is at his ceiling and people know this. I also feel like a Ford for Felton trade straight up is fair.

Will Galen
06-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Last I read their offer to Thomas put Charlotte close to the tax. So I don't see them doing a sign and trade because they would have to take back salary from us, and that would put them over the tax. Jordan says they aren't going over the tax line.

So I don't think anything else matters, Charlotte isn't going to do a sign and trade. I am curious about what they are going to do for pg's though. Kind of in the same boat we are.

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2010, 03:22 AM
So I don't think anything else matters, Charlotte isn't going to do a sign and trade. I am curious about what they are going to do for pg's though. Kind of in the same boat we are.

At least they have DJ Augustin. So they're in a much better boat than we are.

And I don't even like Augustin.

pwee31
06-28-2010, 03:34 AM
I think it's an option. For one, Larry Brown likes change. Though Felton has done a solid job under Brown, he simply enjoys change, that's why his teams are always involved in trades, as well as why he has coached so many teams.

I think the thing Felton has going for him is he's a UNC guy. Problem for the Bobcats is they really don't like either PG on their roster. Augustin hasn't panned out and Felton isn't a guy they want to commit to long term. That's where Ford comes in. T.J is a veteran PG which is what Brown prefers, and he's also only got one year on his contract and would basically be a solid rental until something better came along.

I will say to remember that the Pacers have shown interest in Felton for awhile. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3897431

And the reason the Bobcats thought about it then is the same situation they'll be facing this off-season. Also let's not forget the Bobcats tried to do a Felton for Ford trade before
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeWatchPG-090127

I think it comes down to what Felton asking contract wise. If it's too much for the Bobcats then a trade for Ford makes sense as another one year rental, if the Pacers are willing to pay Felton a little more then I could see the move taking place where the Pacers get Felton for 3-4 years and Bobcats have another rental year with a veteran PG in Ford.

This also allows the Pacers to make other moves with Rush, Murphy, Foster etc.. if they don't have to package one of those guys to move Ford

woowoo
06-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Last I read their offer to Thomas put Charlotte close to the tax. So I don't see them doing a sign and trade because they would have to take back salary from us, and that would put them over the tax. Jordan says they aren't going over the tax line.

Except they are trying to address the issue, Indiana seems like "oh well"..

The Bobcats brought in Clemente, Collins, and Torrence to their summer league.. This is something I think the Pacers should have also done.

The Bobcats apparently are planning for Felton's "potential" departure.

Will Galen
06-28-2010, 04:33 AM
Here's what I was taking about.
--------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5320195

With the Bobcats close to the luxury tax, a salary figure owner Michael Jordan has said they won't go over, a relatively cheap rookie contract may be an attractive option.

Higgins said the Bobcats will offer restricted free agent forward Tyrus Thomas a one-year, $6.2 million qualifying offer. That puts Charlotte close to the luxury tax figure even without factoring in unrestricted free agent Raymond Felton, who may not be re-signed.
--------------------------

Even if Thomas goes elsewhere I don't see them doing a sign and trade with us, Felton for Ford.

If Thomas puts them close to the tax at $6.2m. What would Ford's $8.5m salary do to them?

Sham's not working right now so I can't check. But from what I'm reading I don't see a sign and trade for Felton as feasible. We don't want to add salary either.

Will Galen
06-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Except they are trying to address the issue, Indiana seems like "oh well"..

The Bobcats brought in Clemente, Collins, and Torrence to their summer league.. This is something I think the Pacers should have also done.

The Bobcats apparently are planning for Felton's "potential" departure.

Kind if premature if you ask me. We don't know yet who's going to be on Indiana's Summer league team. (Other than our three draftee's.)

PacerGuy
06-28-2010, 08:31 AM
The Bob's drafted Vasquez & brought in Collins & Torrance as undrafted FA's. Looks like they might try & resign T.homas (who will likely be cheaper) & roll the dice a bit @ PG.

owl
06-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I suspect the Pacers will bring in a D-leaguer or an undrafted free agent for at least one
guard spot.

DocHolliday
06-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I'd rather keep Ford than overpay for someone whose ideal ceiling (in terms of the Pacers' plans) is "solid backup". He'll become more valuable as a trading asset as the trade deadline gets closer.

Justin Tyme
06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
not resigning Jack was a bad move. 4 yrs 5 million, thats about the going rate for backup pg's i would tend to believe. i hope im wrong but i dont see us acquiring our pg to run this team for the next 10 years through the expirings. its gonna happen through the draft. in essense we need someone who is a fringe starter at the right price. i would be fine w/ felton cause he does not force us to trade rush or core in additon to draft picks. and he is an upgrade over ford.

resigning jack would have made alot of sense right now.

How could the Pacers have re-signed Jack when it would have put them in LT Land, and Simon said he was going to go in LT Land?

If you wanted Jack re-signed, then you should be in the Bird blundered camp when he gave the 6 Mil Dollar Man, Foster, a 2 year extension at the beginning of the season. There was NO money left to re-sign Jack or match Toronto's offer sheet to Jack.

Hoop
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Not a fan of signing or trading for Felton unless all other possibilities fall through. I guess he'd be better than we have now, with AJ's injury.

pwee31
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
The Bob's drafted Vasquez & brought in Collins & Torrance as undrafted FA's. Looks like they might try & resign T.homas (who will likely be cheaper) & roll the dice a bit @ PG.

The Griz drafted Vasquez

OakMoses
06-28-2010, 03:28 PM
How could the Pacers have re-signed Jack when it would have put them in LT Land, and Simon said he was going to go in LT Land?

If you wanted Jack re-signed, then you should be in the Bird blundered camp when he gave the 6 Mil Dollar Man, Foster, a 2 year extension at the beginning of the season. There was NO money left to re-sign Jack or match Toronto's offer sheet to Jack.

No. The Pacers could have re-signed Jack had they not signed D. Jones, Earl, and Solomon.

Trophy
06-28-2010, 03:41 PM
If the Bobcats take Ford for 8.5M and S&T Felton, we're gonna be overpaying for Felton's value.

NappyRootz
06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
As other have mentioned Charlotte has problems fitting everyone they want under the tax which they will not exceed.

Apparently they have decided internally that they like Thomas more than Felton and if they can only keep one it will be Thomas.

That leaves them with only Auguistin at PG however which wont work. If they can manage to move Diaw to clear room they can resign Felton at that point or trade for Ford.

They may try and move Diaw to the Wiz for Hinrich.

From the Pacers perspective, signing Felton as a FA is probably a long shot since others need PGs as well and are probably more attractive spots.

A trade of Murphy or whichever expiring Washington wants for Hinrich probably has a better chance of happenning.

Justin Tyme
06-28-2010, 07:20 PM
No. The Pacers could have re-signed Jack had they not signed D. Jones, Earl, and Solomon.

They could have signed Jack too if they hadn't given Foster an extension.

vnzla81
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
To me Felton would have the same effect as TJ Ford, no defense, no good offense and always making the fans hope that he can improve next year, no thanks.

xBulletproof
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
To me Felton would have the same effect as TJ Ford, no defense, no good offense and always making the fans hope that he can improve next year, no thanks.

I beg to differ. TJ played some very good defense for most of last season. I don't know what you were watching.

It was his offense that drove me crazy.