PDA

View Full Version : If the Pacers Relocate

Swish
06-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Would you still be fans?

This poll isn't to debate whether they will or not, just wondered if you all would still be Pacers fans if they did leave. Also, if the answer is no, would you find another NBA team to follow, or leave the NBA altogether?

PaceBalls
06-27-2010, 02:41 PM
jeez, what a downer thread man!

It would be a huge blow to the city and all us die hard fans.

That said I would always love the Pacers, until a new team came to Indy. It would **** me off that I would have to get NBA league pass to watch the games.

But more than that it would seem like a betrayal of all the fans who have held on to season tickets for 30 plus years. It would be hard to get over that.

PacerPenguins
06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
i would not be a fan. I mean there would be no point. I would probably become a Bulls or Cavs fan.

Bridge
06-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Not only would I not be a fan, but the NBA would dead to me.

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Depends on how connected I was to the current players, but giving the state of the current roster and the potential for high turnover, I'm guessing that wouldn't last long.

Before the Colts came to Indy I was a big Patriots nut actually. From about 77 to 87. But as the Colts started to become familiar to me and the Pats I loved started to move on that feeling changed. The uniform change and Irving Fryar getting sliced by his wife really helped run me off for good. By the time Coates/Bledsoe settled in I loathed that team more than the Cowboys.

I have no allegiance to the Baltimore Colts guys to this day, and I guess this would be the reverse with the Pacers. I'd love the past but within a few years I'd come to not care about the moved version, and possibly even hate them.

Psyren
06-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Not likely. To be a die hard fan, and for them to just up and leave like that would really be a big blow.

I probably wouldn't even watch the NBA anymore at that point.

tadscout
06-27-2010, 03:18 PM
:thisisnotfun:

Justin Tyme
06-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Would you still be fans?

This poll isn't to debate whether they will or not, just wondered if you all would still be Pacers fans if they did leave. Also, if the answer is no, would you find another NBA team to follow, or leave the NBA altogether?

You'll get a better idea on how posters feel if you check the archives for this exact type thread that was done earlier in the year. It's probably under a thread title something like "if the Pacers move".

pwee31
06-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I guess it depends on how they leave. If it's a Mayflower situation then I won't be a fan.

If it's a situation where the City was stubborn, then I'd still root for the guys, of course not as diehard, but casually, simply b/c I've grown attached to the players and would like to see them do well.

Hopefully that's not the case, b/c I'd hate to be in a Sonics situation where the team relocates right when the franchise is starting to turn it around

MLB007
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I would probably watch other teams for awhile and then choose the one that plays and coaches like I like to see the game played.

Ozwalt72
06-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd probably be more pissed off at teh city than the team. I don't know though. I was a big fan of Oklahoma City getting a team (a lot of family there) and I might have to migrate that way...

BornReady
06-27-2010, 03:54 PM
ive been an indy fan this whole time without having been to indy in my entire life :) i could live with that lol

SMosley21
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
I would not. The only reason I can tolerate the mediocre product that we have is because it's OURS. If they were to up and leave and take that product to another city, why would anyone want to root for a losing team that they don't even have at least a territorial allegiance to?

BornReady
06-27-2010, 04:25 PM
lol iunno. i just like them for some reason. i always have.
im from rochester ny, so its not like its bustling with pro sports, let alone..sports.
i tried liking the cavs when i went to school in cleveland but that just made me hate them even more and like the pacers more :D

Bball
06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I guess it depends on how they leave. If it's a Mayflower situation then I won't be a fan.

If it's a situation where the City was stubborn, then I'd still root for the guys, of course not as diehard, but casually, simply b/c I've grown attached to the players and would like to see them do well.

Hopefully that's not the case, b/c I'd hate to be in a Sonics situation where the team relocates right when the franchise is starting to turn it around

The city built them a new sports palace, to their specs, and let them use it all year for 1.00 per year while also letting them have all profits off it year round. And all they have to pay are the operating costs to run their business.

If the Pacers move, it won't be because the city was stubborn. It will be because pro sports has an unsustainable business model that requires government support to survive.

Bball
06-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I would not. The only reason I can tolerate the mediocre product that we have is because it's OURS. If they were to up and leave and take that product to another city, why would anyone want to root for a losing team that they don't even have at least a territorial allegiance to?

I was just thinking about this the other day... If the Pacers were some far off team none of us had any territorial allegiance to... not only would we not follow them I don't think, but how many of us would be making fun of the team, management, and coaching?

Right now it's hard to make fun of any NBA team because people in glass houses....

Of course if we didn't have our own other NBA team to root for (and the Pacers were elsewhere), would the current iteration of the Pacers even warrant a blip on the radar to care enough about to even make fun of?

indygeezer
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I prolly wouldn't watch more than 2 games a year and those would be Utah Jazz games.

Basically, I find the NBA to be lousy basketball.

Noodle
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
The bi-annual question that never ends.

PacersPride
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
I prolly wouldn't watch more than 2 games a year and those would be Utah Jazz games.

Basically, I find the NBA to be lousy basketball.

would lose all interest and become a much bigger college basketball fan. much like baseball, i just dont have the interest b/c there is no team here in Indy.

Brad8888
06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I probably would follow the Thunder, the Bulls, and the Magic more closely, or whatever team ends up being good while not having Lebron or Kobe playing for them. I also would probably somewhat follow whatever team Carlisle is coaching because I know I would be seeing solid fundamental basketball.

aceace
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Everything, energy, love, money spent, games I go to would all translate to Indiana University. Who knows I might even start a weblog about the greed of pro sports holding cities hostage.

Magic P
06-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I've been a Magic fan since i don't know when. I remember being confused as heck when there were so many lead changes in the final seconds of the playoff game where Smits hit the game winning shot. The Gold half of my heart was cheering and the Blue side was sad.

WoodyHayes78
06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
I would probably become a Bulls fan. But I wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of devotion that I have to the Pacers.

BornReady
06-27-2010, 07:37 PM
wow
well i sure hope the pacers stay in indy then :D

Los Angeles
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Sick of answering this question.

Swish
06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Sick of answering this question.

Who twisted your arm?

06-27-2010, 11:09 PM
They're not going anywhere folks. There isn't another market and the loss would be to great. Now, if the current trend continues for the next 5 - 10 years I will worry. The relocation rumors were mearly a ploy by PS&E to leverage a new deal with the city of Indianapolis.

pizza guy
06-27-2010, 11:16 PM
I'd follow them until either another team moved to Indy or they completely seperated themselves from the Indiana heritage. I'd probably be a Spurs fan, but it'd be difficult to follow them as closely as the Pacers, or since I'm already a Colts fan, I might just drop the NBA altogether.

--pizza

PS- This better never happen. I will cry.

DGPR
06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
I would probably be very upset and most likely wouldn't have an interest in basketball again until/if we got another team.

Freddie fan
06-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I would no longer be a fan of the Pacers if they move. It's hard to imagine finally giving up on a team I've followed for more than 35 years, but on the bright side Jim O'Brien would be leaving town.

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
No. I would be done with the NBA. It would be all college ball for me.

Unclebuck
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes - why not - still the same team I grew up with, still the same team I went through good and bad times with.

I can get league pass to watch all the games, sure there might be a disconnect not beuing able to go to games. But would still be a fan. But for how long? I don't know

Grover
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd do what I could as a fan to push the league into making the franchise change their name upon the move (like Browns fan did to Modell).

I'd probably still support the guys I was familiar with, but that would drop as they retired/got traded. Eventually, I'd care nothing for them more than any other team and I'd continue to look forward to a new "Indiana Pacers" team coming to town that I could support in the illogical way I have since the 60's.

Day-V
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Knowing our luck, they'd pull a mid-90's Cleveland Browns and get good and win a championship in their new city.

31andonly
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I doubt it. I'd probably still follow the boxscore and privily hope for the Pacers to win (as long as Hans, McRoberts, Granger and Hibbert are there), but I wouldn't be the die-hard Pacers fan anymore. I wouldn't spend the nights watching crappy online-streams, listening to crappy radio-streams and constantly clicking on the refresh-button on ESPN play-by-play.
"Indiana" (even though I've never been there) is what I connect with the Pacers, "Pacers" is what I connect with Indiana. I understand the system in the NBA, but I think the wohle thing about teams belonging to a single person is crap. We don't have it here in Europe to this extent, where the owner can sell the team and relocate it. The Pacers belong to the state and the people of Indiana. Amen.

Trophy
06-28-2010, 03:33 PM
As much as I hate posting in these kinds of threads, I'm gonna stick my 2 cents in.

Relocating is gonna solve nothing!

If anything moving the team is gonna cause even more problems. The CIB is gonna waste their money if we move. They're gonna pay either way so why not get their money's worth and keep the Pacers who have history here in that new arena.

Just look at the Grizzlies. They're probably doing worse in Memphis.

A team like the Thunder actually had a plan for a while and knew that OKC is a good fan base.

I'm sure a deal has been put into place, but I'm sure the CIB and Pacers are checking it over with the 2 days left.

It's been said before that a 3 year deal with the CIB has been reached which is very good. We just need to win during that time period which will entice more people to attend games.

We're looking good since it appears we've drafted well.

I wouldn't believe half of what these sources are saying. The writers are just doing their job by telling some white lies to get readers interested.

Going back to the main idea of this thread, I'm not even gonna comment because I don't want to believe something that probably isn't true.

So folks, we're not moving don't worry! Think positive and hope for a good season!