PDA

View Full Version : The George Conspiracy Theory

Midcoasted
06-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Boys the conspiracy theorist in me is coming out tonight. Maybe I had one too many to drink.

I just feel like the George drafting is a conspiracy. I mean think about it, Granger is his mentor and I gaurantee he ends up his best friend.They workout together. I bet George is a nightmare for Granger to handle at times. I'm sure Granger has given him all the tricks of the trade, and that video where he jumps over that guy and dunks it is just bananas. His idol is Reggie. Granger has taken him under his wing and made him NBA ready.

I mean is it just a coincidence that Geore went to the ****tiest basketball school ever for 1 year and often got double and triple teamed? I mean if the dude went to a big school he would probably have been a top 3 pick, maybe even number one if he stayed his sophmore year. The dude has that much talent. I can just see the talent, and watching the games, I see the other team literally focusing their whole game plan to stopping him. They won't be able to do that in the NBA, when he is next to Granger, and Hibbert.

Really did he just go there one year because Granger basically found the best HS player out there and took him under his wing? Gave him a plan to unite in the NBA and dominate? Did we have that great winning surge at the end because we already knew our guy would be there no matter what?

I don't know, like I said, it's the cospiracy theorist deep inside of me. So excuse my rant at this late hour. All I know is I'm loving every minute of this draft because we literally just drafted our way into the playoffs IMO. Unproven rookie it is, but I just have this intuition. I literally about teared up when I watched his videos. The kid is that good. And O'Brien likes him, so I believe he will play alot this year.

I believed that if Artest could win 1, that our curse may be broken. He won it, and I'm hoping that this intuition I have is true. You people think I'm nuts, but George will be a better player than John Wall and Evan Turner and Cousins, and everyone picked before him, and I believe that. I bet he dominates the summer league...

CableKC
06-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Bartender, I'll have what he's having......

You're going to have to fill me in on the part where Granger found George in HS.

Midcoasted
06-27-2010, 05:53 AM

I'm waiting for all the darksiders to come out and bash my optimism. Then if I'm ever right I can look back and laugh.

Honestly, we as Pacers fans need to start believing again. The power of the human spirit creates things. If everyone stays negative and thinks we are going to suck, and noone goes to games, or watches, then we are going to suck and end up leaving town.

If you want the Pacers to stay in Indiana, now is the time to stand up. Believe in this team. Or be happy with the Indiana Pacers being no more...

Marlin
06-27-2010, 05:54 AM
You're going to have to fill me in on the part where Granger found George in HS.
That's got to have something to do with his batcave, I suppose..

That said, love your optimism, Midcoasted. Hopefully we have some gem on our hands.

pacers74
06-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I wanted the pacers to draft Goerge ever since the combine. There are already articles saying that 5 year after the draft he will be looked at as the best player from this draft.
Now saying that this is a conspiracy and that Granger has been telling what to do (like what college to go) is just crazy. I'm sure if Granger was working out with the kid, then he told Pacers staff about him. That doesn't mean he was guaranteed to go to the Pacers. If this was true he would have gotten drafted before us. I'm not even sure if Heyward was there who we would have taken.
I hope you are right about how good he is. I just think since Granger knew him the Pacers looked harder at thim the most teams, but thats about it.

Midcoasted
06-27-2010, 05:56 AM

It's just a guess. I don't have any solid evidence. I just have the facts that seem to point to a possiblity, hence why it's a theory, or for you techinical types, maybe even a hypothesis. I mean how long have Granger and George been working out together? I mean George has only been in college basketball for a year at most? Did they work out last summer? Why did George go to such a bad school with walk-ons as teamates? I mean trust me the kid could have went to any big school.

woowoo
06-27-2010, 06:35 AM
:confused:

Paul G played 2 seasons at Fresno St....

You are reaching.....

Kaufman
06-27-2010, 07:10 AM
you might be right about Paul George, but at the same time i agree, you had a lot to drink last night. care to share what you were having? how much?

mildlysane
06-27-2010, 07:11 AM
And I thought I came up with some far-out conspiracies....thanks for the chuckle this morning!

hoopsforlife
06-27-2010, 08:42 AM
This could explain why Granger didn't show up to play a lot of the time last year. hmmm

Justin Tyme
06-27-2010, 09:26 AM
This could explain why Granger didn't show up to play a lot of the time last year. hmmm

Speaking of not showing up, has anyone heard why Granger didn't show up at the draft party?

pizza guy
06-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm waiting for all the darksiders to come out and bash my optimism. Then if I'm ever right I can look back and laugh.

Honestly, we as Pacers fans need to start believing again. The power of the human spirit creates things. If everyone stays negative and thinks we are going to suck, and noone goes to games, or watches, then we are going to suck and end up leaving town.

If you want the Pacers to stay in Indiana, now is the time to stand up. Believe in this team. Or be happy with the Indiana Pacers being no more...

^^ This? Yes.

Boys the conspiracy theorist in me is coming out tonight. Maybe I had one too many to drink.

I just feel like the George drafting is a conspiracy. I mean think about it, Granger is his mentor and I gaurantee he ends up his best friend.They workout together. I bet George is a nightmare for Granger to handle at times. I'm sure Granger has given him all the tricks of the trade, and that video where he jumps over that guy and dunks it is just bananas. His idol is Reggie. Granger has taken him under his wing and made him NBA ready.

I mean is it just a coincidence that Geore went to the ****tiest basketball school ever for 1 year and often got double and triple teamed? I mean if the dude went to a big school he would probably have been a top 3 pick, maybe even number one if he stayed his sophmore year. The dude has that much talent. I can just see the talent, and watching the games, I see the other team literally focusing their whole game plan to stopping him. They won't be able to do that in the NBA, when he is next to Granger, and Hibbert.

Really did he just go there one year because Granger basically found the best HS player out there and took him under his wing? Gave him a plan to unite in the NBA and dominate? Did we have that great winning surge at the end because we already knew our guy would be there no matter what?

I don't know, like I said, it's the cospiracy theorist deep inside of me. So excuse my rant at this late hour. All I know is I'm loving every minute of this draft because we literally just drafted our way into the playoffs IMO. Unproven rookie it is, but I just have this intuition. I literally about teared up when I watched his videos. The kid is that good. And O'Brien likes him, so I believe he will play alot this year.

I believed that if Artest could win 1, that our curse may be broken. He won it, and I'm hoping that this intuition I have is true. You people think I'm nuts, but George will be a better player than John Wall and Evan Turner and Cousins, and everyone picked before him, and I believe that. I bet he dominates the summer league...

^^ This? Not so much.

Love the optimism and belief in the Pacers and P.G, but as good as D.G is, I doubt he's got the clout to go find some HS player and control all his decisions and the exact position of the team's draft pick. That one kinda makes you go :hmm: ?

I suppose crazier things have happened, though.

--pizza

tsm612
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM

I bet he tore his plantar fascia on purpose.

Stryder
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Optimism is not the same as lunacy.

Just sayin'.

Trader Joe
06-27-2010, 11:17 AM
I bet it's more likely he went to Fresno State, because you know, that small detail, that, HE WASN'T A TOP 100 RECRUIT COMING OUT OF COLLEGE!!!

Not that many big schools wanted him. I really doubt Granger is a better scout than the 100s of guys who are paid big bucks by big schools to do this for a living.

odeez
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
This is going to be a interesting Summer here at PD, these threads are coming out of the woodwork. I doubt there is a conspiracy, but I sure am happy we got George.

MaHa3000
06-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Very intertaining none-the-less.
This would make a pretty good idea for a Hollywood movie.:D

Really?
06-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I bet it's more likely he went to Fresno State, because you know, that small detail, that, HE WASN'T A TOP 100 RECRUIT COMING OUT OF COLLEGE!!!

Not that many big schools wanted him. I really doubt Granger is a better scout than the 100s of guys who are paid big bucks by big schools to do this for a living.

Like someone else said him going to Fresno State instead of big schools was due to him not playing AAU ball until his last year, we all know that AAU basketball has more pull with getting you in big schools than HS ball...

MaHa3000
06-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Like someone else said him going to Fresno State instead of big schools was due to him not playing AAU ball until his last year, we all know that AAU basketball has more pull with getting you in big schools than HS ball...

True . It also could have been the fact that he was slated to attend Pepperdine (same school his sister attended) but was released from his commitment due to a coaching change. Maybe this didn't give a lot of schools the chance to recruit since they probably had their irons in other fires.

Merz
06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
George was a 6-7 center in HS and a 2-star recruit. His upside has a lot to do with the fact that he appears to be a late bloomer. Plus, he played 2 seasons at Fresno St not one.

Bball
06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I mean is it just a coincidence that Geore went to the ****tiest basketball school ever for 1 year and often got double and triple teamed? I mean if the dude went to a big school he would probably have been a top 3 pick, maybe even number one if he stayed his sophmore year. The dude has that much talent.

So the grand scheme for getting into the NBA was to go a school where he'd be triple teamed and unable to really show the NBA what he had so that his draft value would plummet enough he could be drafted by the Pacers? ...Whereas if he'd went to a bigger school he would've had more help on the court, and thus players the other team would also have to cover, plus been at a more visible university, and would've been dominating the other teams with his NBA talent and working his way up to a top 3 pick where the Pacers couldn't choose him.

So he loves the Pacers so much he'd gamble on hiding his talents so he could drop to them in the draft.

:brilliant:

BRushWithDeath
06-27-2010, 01:45 PM
You people think I'm nuts, but George will be a better player than John Wall and Evan Turner and Cousins, and everyone picked before him, and I believe that.

There was some in your post that was right at least.

Trader Joe
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
George was a 6-7 center in HS and a 2-star recruit. His upside has a lot to do with the fact that he appears to be a late bloomer. Plus, he played 2 seasons at Fresno St not one.

The more I read about this guy, the less I like him. I liked him a lot more, when I had just watched him play a couple times, and read a few quick scouting reports. He just screams bust to me, I'm sorry. I don't think I'm excited about him at all anymore.

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Optimism is what you think people are bashing if they question your theory? So we are throwing in a martyr complex to spice up the conspiracy angle. Definitely making the case for sanity so far.

I wanted the pacers to draft Goerge ever since the combine. There are already articles saying that 5 year after the draft he will be looked at as the best player from this draft.
There is already AN (singular) article quoting ONE Eastern Conf scout (ie, Pacers scout) saying George will be the best player in the NBA in 5 years. The article magically came out right before the draft.

So let me add my own conspiracy theory, the Pacers are still rolling with their hype machine in the face of low returns.

Do I even need to get into the issues with a "friend" telling his buddy to sandbag his entire career just so he could come to a losing team and maybe get it into the playoffs? Or the issue of letting your star semi-AS caliber player run the roster choices?

Hey Danny, maybe you should have also sucked it up so that the Pacers wouldn't have to pay you so much and so they could get a higher draft pick. Then George wouldn't have to sandbag it because the Pacers would have a top 4 pick instead of 10th.

Now George and you can stink together, keeps George from getting more money a 2nd time when his rookie deal runs out but gets the team more high picks and saves cap room. Then, once this magical fab 8 is assembled you flick the switch and destroy the NBA for 5 years (wait, will Danny still have that much career left by that point?)

What?!? Too much optimism for you?

I'm not trying to be a darksider here, and posters I trust do like what they see with the very raw George, but nationally the Pacers aren't seeing a lot of positive support for the drafting effort this year.

I wasn't even a huge Henry fan just because I thought he needed another year of NCAA ball to prove out and improve his game, but I do get where his impact was limited due to the situation he was in. Bill Simmons makes the choice between Henry, a key young prospect and the best talent on a #1 team last year, and George, a raw prospect on a rather poor squad in a much weaker conference that didn't even make the first team all-WAC, look like a pretty silly gamble.

Oh, and the fact that the one position the Pacers are set at is SF, given that their star plays the SF, their big money guy that is untradable plays the SF (Dun), and their long term bench guy is pretty comfortable there (DJones).

Didn't Larry just pull a David Kahn or do you all think the plan is to swing Flynn to SG when Rubio joins the TWolves this year?

Naptown_Seth
06-27-2010, 03:01 PM
If you want the Pacers to stay in Indiana, now is the time to stand up. Believe in this team. Or be happy with the Indiana Pacers being no more...I am standing up for the TEAM. I'm mad at the morons that are running it into the ground.

If they made better choices we wouldn't have to root for 34 wins and cross our fingers that the team isn't moved.

The Sonics fans liked the SONICS, they didn't like the ownership and his ideals about tax money owed to him. Let's stop combining issues.

This is just as bad as "why did you boo Hansbrough" questions. I didn't. I boo'd selecting him with that pick. He's a nice enough kid and I hope he turns it around, just like I hope the George pick works out.

But I'm not going to sit back and actively support someone wrecking the hometown team. Just like I didn't support Isiah, which looks like a pretty smart outlook given how things went the very next year.

What if TPTB are all moved out and magically the team's direction swings quickly upward? Seems like if that's the case then the people who aren't really supporting the Pacers will be the ones that continued to support the people that were ruining them.

We don't know if this is going to go that way or not, but my opinions and concerns are 100% driven by my support for the team, not against it.

MyFavMartin
06-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Tequila, is it?

Brad8888
06-27-2010, 06:04 PM
There is already AN (singular) article quoting ONE Eastern Conf scout (ie, Pacers scout) saying George will be the best player to come from this draft in the NBA in 5 years. The article magically came out right before the draft.

Fixed

Nobody would be foolish enough to claim that George will be better that LBJ within 5 years.

tadscout
06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Fixed

Nobody would be foolish enough to claim that George will be better that LBJ within 5 years.

That, and Seth... show me proof, show me evidence where it was absolutely the Pacers scout saying that? Toronto was PO'd we picked, ever thought it could've been them?

Sorry but just sounds like pure speculation to try to prove your point...

billbradley
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
each team has a representative, usually their star player, that searches for their future running mate as early as grade school and molds them into a champion. kobe has been mentoring bynum for the better part of a decade.

Stryder
06-27-2010, 08:31 PM
each team has a representative, usually their star player, that searches for their future running mate as early as grade school and molds them into a champion. kobe has been mentoring bynum for the better part of a decade.

Huh?

You think superstar players in their 20s and 30s are searching grade schools and high schools for the next superstar comrade?

I don't think so. You so crazy.

Trader Joe
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM

:50cent:

billbradley
06-27-2010, 09:44 PM
i thought it was pretty obvious i was making fun of the original post.

tsm612
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
His idol is Reggie.

Why do people keep saying this? In the Sager interview, Sager mentioned to him that Reggie went to Indiana from LA and played his whole career there. In response, George said that he could see Reggie as a role model in the situation he's in. That doesn't mean he grew up idolizing Reggie. Reggie wasn't even his favorite player. Kobe was.

There's plenty of things to like about George. People don't need to invent reasons to like him. If this hype continues its level of absurdity, by next season, Paul George is going to be hunting Bin Laden with Chuck Norris.

Here's the Sager interview.

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=nba&videoId=channels/draft/2010/06/24/20100624_sager_george.nba" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=nba&videoId=channels/draft/2010/06/24/20100624_sager_george.nba" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

Hoop
06-27-2010, 11:01 PM
There's plenty of things to like about George. People don't need to invent reasons to like him. If this hype continues its level of absurdity, by next season, Paul George is going to be hunting Bin Laden with Chuck Norris.
King George does not go hunting, King George goes killing, the word hunting implies that failure is a possibility.

CableKC
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
The only part of this conspiracy that I can see Granger playing a part in is whatever influence ( however limited that maybe ) that he had in giving insight into the type of Person, Player and ( possible ) Teammate that George could be given whatever relationship they had built over time. I can see the FO thinking that whatever friendship that they had on the court during the Offseason and Training that could be cultivated into some good Team chemistry going forward. You can't say that with Hayward, Udoh or anyone else in the draft.

TheRifleman51
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM

IDK why but i really enjoyed this it was really good

McKeyFan
06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
The only part of this conspiracy that I can see Granger playing a part in is whatever influence ( however limited that maybe ) that he had in giving insight into the type of Person, Player and ( possible ) Teammate that George could be given whatever relationship they had built over time. I can see the FO thinking that whatever friendship that they had on the court during the Offseason and Training that could be cultivated into some good Team chemistry going forward. You can't say that with Hayward, Udoh or anyone else in the draft.

I don't know that a jump start in building chemistry played a factor. But you have to figure it helped if Danny was a able to give a strong recommendation on the kid's character and skills.

CableKC
06-29-2010, 01:45 AM
I don't know that a jump start in building chemistry played a factor. But you have to figure it helped if Danny was a able to give a strong recommendation on the kid's character and skills.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to poorly convey. At the very least George had the benefit of someone in the Organization that could speak to his charecter and the type of person/player he is.

Putnam
06-29-2010, 08:30 AM
I don't believe in this talk of a conspiracy, but I'm eager to see whether this new player on the Pacers roster is going to be "the cute one" or "the shy one."

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LLYqG3wmkAXrjM:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jgTnP3hsSv4/Sr02R4iXuXI/AAAAAAAAADk/_itiMLML98Q/S570/paul_mccartney_large.jpghttp://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr325/bleu_green/george-harrison.jpg

Unclebuck
06-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Midcoasted - Honestly, I have no clue what you are saying in your original post.

Trader Joe
06-29-2010, 11:45 AM
UB, bringing down the brutal honesty hammer, ya gotta love it.