PDA

View Full Version : Darren Collison says he might be next on trading block

Pacersalltheway10
06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/06/new_orleans_hornets_darren_col_5.html

By John Reid, The Times Picayune

Shortly after New Orleans Hornets point guard Darren Collison described how Cole Aldrich's defensive presence in the post would be a big help for the Hornets this upcoming season, it was announced they had traded the 11th pick in Thursday night's draft to the Oklahoma City Thunder, along with guard Morris Peterson, for two first-round picks.
The move further proves to Collison that the Hornets are going to be active in exploring potential trades, and he could be the next player sent elsewhere. General Manager Jeff Bower declined to comment Thursday on any trade rumors.

“I don’t know if I’m going to be a Hornet, ” Collison said before meeting with fans at the Hornets’ draft party in Mandeville. “I like it here, but things don’t work out that way. This is a business, and I’m starting to understand it.”

Collison thought he was traded last week to the Indiana Pacers after receiving a voicemail message from a reporter seeking comment about the rumored trade. Collison said he quickly called his agent, who told him he was still with the Hornets.
“I’m not going to lie, it’s a little distracting, ” Collison said. “After a good year, you expect good things to happen. It is what it is, and we have a lot of different issues on the team that we want to fix. I’m certain management is going to fix that. All I can do is focus on myself and whatever happens, happens.”

Collison, who was the Hornets’ first-round pick in 2009, had a fabulous rookie season, averaging 12.7 points and 5.8 assists in 76 games, starting 37 in place of injured three-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul.

There are several teams, including the Pacers, who think Collison can continue to emerge as an effective starter instead of coming off the bench like he will be expected to do playing behind Paul this upcoming season under first-year coach Monty Williams.
Earlier this week, Bower admitted that he had been listening to offers for Paul, but owner George Shinn said they will continue to build the team around Paul.

Paul told ESPN.com that his first choice is to stay in New Orleans, but if the Hornets are not committed to winning and trying to get better so they can contend with the two-time defending champion Lakers, Celtics and the league’s other top teams, then he would be open to a trade.

“This is his team, and the team should go as he wants it to go,” Collison said. “I think it’s kind of disrespectable for him to be in trade rumors because he’s done so much for the community, and he’s done so much for the team and for me personally. Wherever he goes or whatever he does in his future, the team needs to have his support. You’re talking about guys’ lives with moving and making adjustments, but trades are part of the business.”

Despite thinking he might be traded, Collison worked the crowd Thursday night. He took pictures, signed autographs and told fans he looked forward to the upcoming season.

“Hopefully, we can all say (current teammates) that we’re all on the same team, ” Collison said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to work out that way.”

MLB007
06-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Come be a Pacer Darren. ;)

LoneGranger33
06-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Hopefully he won't come here.

joew8302
06-26-2010, 06:37 PM
For the right price I would love Collison. I would do Collison for George straight up if I could.

graphic-er
06-26-2010, 06:43 PM
For the right price I would love Collison. I would do Collison for George straight up if I could.

AGREED.

Young
06-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Well yeah I would think he is on the trading block if the Hornets are going to keep Chris Paul. They need a lot of help but if you are keep Paul you don't need to keep a point guard with good trade value like Collison around.

Psyren
06-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I tend to disagree here. While I would love Collison as much as anyone here, I still feel a bit like he's a product of his system. I don't know that he is on his way to being an elite point guard. A good starting one, yes. But nothing that's extremely special.

I'd trade Rush who has proven he can't produce, as opposed to George who we need to at least give a chance. Rush already had his, and he wasted it.

Doddage
06-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd trade Rush who has proven he can't produce, as opposed to George who we need to at least give a chance. Rush already had his, and he wasted it.
If that's the case, why would New Orleans want Rush for Collison?

Psyren
06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
A lot of teams still value Rush. Heck, maybe we still do for all I know.

I simply am not a fan of him. I do like his defense though, as do many other teams. The potential is still there, I'm just not keen on waiting an eternity for him to do something. If we trade him and he comes back to destroy us, good for him.

Just because I don't like him doesn't mean everyone else agrees.

Eleazar
06-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Because Rush hasn't proven that he can't produce. All he has proven is that he is inconsistent on the offensive side.

Psyren
06-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Because Rush hasn't proven that he can't produce. All he has proven is that he is inconsistent on the offensive side.
That sounds more like what I was attempting to say.

Young
06-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I also want to add:

I would never in a million years be willing to take Okafor and his contract just to get Collison. Chris Paul? Yes. Darren Collison? No.

I am sure the Hornets would want more then Brandon Rush for him but I wouldn't offer much more. Maybe send them Jeff and take back James Posey.

joew8302
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I tend to disagree here. While I would love Collison as much as anyone here, I still feel a bit like he's a product of his system. I don't know that he is on his way to being an elite point guard. A good starting one, yes. But nothing that's extremely special.

Really though? I mean obviously I would rather trade Rush, but really? You think New Orleans would go for a 3rd year pro 2 guard than has a 1-1 asst/turnover ratio, shoots less than 45% from the field and can't hit 65% of his free throws and will be 25 before next season for an up and coming second year pg that showed lots of promise his rookie year? I really think not.

I am sorry, but Rush won't fetch a whole lot on the open market let alone a guy like Collison. If we want something like Collison we will have to be prepared to pay a price, and the price will certainly be higher than young garbage and/or expiring contracts.

tadscout
06-26-2010, 07:17 PM
A playoff caliber team with the best PG in the league (creates for other and can score) and another scoring option in West has the ability to be much more patient with Rush's offense, and value his defense till then... (even then with a PG like Paul, Rush doesn't need to be more aggressive creating his own shot, just shoot it whenever Paul finds him)

PacerPride33
06-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I think this really is the only way we are going to get a young, all-star type point guard. Definetely do not trade George. He has more potential than Collison. Granger, George and Hibbert are the only ones who are untouchable. I'm sure there could be a deal made somewhere in there. Rush + Murphy and a future first rounder for Collison and Peja/Posey

Los Angeles
06-26-2010, 07:21 PM
KingGeorge24, Did you recently change your user name? If so, what was it prior to this one?

joew8302
06-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I think this really is the only way we are going to get a young, all-star type point guard. Definetely do not trade George. He has more potential than Collison. Granger, George and Hibbert are the only ones who are untouchable. I'm sure there could be a deal made somewhere in there. Rush + Murphy and a future first rounder for Collison and Peja/Posey

George has more potential than Collison? Really? What do you base this on?

Also, if Granger, Hibbert and George are untouchable have you resigned yourself to the fact that there will be no major or even mid major moves before the season starts?

avoidingtheclowns
06-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Collison thought he was traded last week to the Indiana Pacers after receiving a voicemail message from a reporter seeking comment about the rumored trade. Collison said he quickly called his agent, who told him he was still with the Hornets. “I’m not going to lie, it’s a little distracting, ” Collison said. “After a good year, you expect good things to happen."

I enjoyed this part. It's like a more polite way of saying "Indiana? NO! WHY ME?!?"

Smoothdave1
06-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I think there's still some interest in Rush across the league. The guy plays pretty decent D and has an NBA ready body. If he can be more consistent and figure it all out, he could turn into a pretty decent NBA player.

With that said, I would entertain a Rush plus future pick for Collison. I think given that New Orleans seems to be pretty set on keeping Chris Paul, Collison may want and seek more PT. Hornets get a guy in Rush who can play the 2 and they are building a good young core of Paul, Rush, Poindexter, Brackins, etc.

Pacers get the point they covet and go with the lineup:

Collison, George, Granger, Murphy, Hibbert
Ford, Jones, Dunleavy, Hansbrough, Foster
Price, Stephenson, Rolle, McRoberts, Solo

I think that's a team that could grab say a number 6 or 7 seed in the East depending upon how things shake out this summer.

dohman
06-26-2010, 07:27 PM
If I were you guys I wouldnt give up on rush yet. We are going into this thrid season and this is where it really started to click for danny. I have a feeling this is going to be rushs break out year. he has shown signs he can be great. He just needs to put it together

Psyren
06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
KingGeorge24, Did you recently change your user name? If so, what was it prior to this one?
Ha, yea and it was Evan199.

And I'm not here to stir up the controversy on why would the Hornets want Rush. I simply stated I would rather trade him. I don't believe George is untouchable, I rather listed Rush as my preference, as I'm sure he is for most of you all as well.

Psyren
06-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I think there's still some interest in Rush across the league. The guy plays pretty decent D and has an NBA ready body. If he can be more consistent and figure it all out, he could turn into a pretty decent NBA player.

With that said, I would entertain a Rush plus future pick for Collison. I think given that New Orleans seems to be pretty set on keeping Chris Paul, Collison may want and seek more PT. Hornets get a guy in Rush who can play the 2 and they are building a good young core of Paul, Rush, Poindexter, Brackins, etc.

Pacers get the point they covet and go with the lineup:

Collison, George, Granger, Murphy, Hibbert
Ford, Jones, Dunleavy, Hansbrough, Foster
Price, Stephenson, Rolle, McRoberts, Solo

I think that's a team that could grab say a number 6 or 7 seed in the East depending upon how things shake out this summer.
Agreed. I can't say I agree when people say why would the Hornets want Rush. There is interest throughout the league in him, and teams are looking for a good defender. He still has value, and if he finds his offensive game a bit more, teams will still want him.

joew8302
06-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok, I am bowing out. This seems to be borderline comical. Some of you are severely undervaluing Collison while overvaluing Rush. Look at the raw numbers ages and impacts on the game. Collison is a MUCH more valuable asset than Rush and it really isn't all that close. New Orleans would have to be absolutely insane to even entertain these thoughts let alone pull the trigger on that deal.

xBulletproof
06-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Teams have interest in Rush because they realize his shot is very, very good from the corner 3 (59-114 for 51% from three in the corners). In a functional offense he could emerge as a better scoring, shot blocking and rebounding version of Bruce Bowen.

Psyren
06-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Ok, I am bowing out. This seems to be borderline comical. Some of you are severely undervaluing Collison while overvaluing Rush. Look at the raw numbers ages and impacts on the game. Collison is a MUCH more valuable asset than Rush and it really isn't all that close. New Orleans would have to be absolutely insane to even entertain these thoughts let alone pull the trigger on that deal.
I can't disagree with that statement at all. But I think the only reason they entertain it is if the Pacers take back Okafor's contract, which I have a hard time thinking Larry would do.

If we did take back his contract, and offered them an expirer, it's hard to not at least entertain. I still don't know if I pull the deal if I'm the Hornets FO, but I'd at least listen.

tadscout
06-26-2010, 07:47 PM

You're forget the Okafor for Murphy salary dump part of the deal... changes the dynamic greatly... :-p

Infinite MAN_force
06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Here is food for thought. Would anyone entertain the idea of trading Granger for Collison AND David West?

We would have to feel pretty damn good about Paul George, but that fills two big holes on this roster.

Psyren
06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Here is food for thought. Would anyone entertain the idea of trading Granger for Collison AND David West?

We would have to feel pretty damn good about Paul George, but that fills two big holes on this roster.
Maybe, and that's a slim maybe if we see feel extremely confident in George near the trade deadline. But, although I like George a lot, I feel it's too big of a risk to lose Granger and put your trust in a rookie.

BornReady
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM

no thanks david west is a softie on defense

Infinite MAN_force
06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
no thanks david west is a softie on defense

Well my next question is how well West would fit with Hibbert, and if thats the case I'm thinking not well.

NuffSaid
06-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Well yeah I would think he is on the trading block if the Hornets are going to keep Chris Paul. They need a lot of help but if you are keep Paul you don't need to keep a point guard with good trade value like Collison around.
I'd trade our two lower draft picks - Reid and Rolle (and I really like Rolle) - along w/TJ Ford before giving up George. I think he's that good. So good, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts alongside Granger in his 2nd year here.

BornReady
06-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd trade our two lower draft picks - Reid and Rolle (and I really like Rolle) - along w/TJ Ford before giving up George. I think he's that good. So good, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts alongside Granger in his 2nd year here.

we traded reid and some cash for rolle :)

joew8302
06-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Hahah two second round picks and a bad player for an up and comer, terrific!

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 08:52 PM

You have to be kidding! Collison had a nice rookie year and all of a sudden lets dump the #10 pick. What's next, trading Hibbert for Collison?

Remember Dajuan Wagner, the rookie 1 season wonder PG? Or Mike Sweetney? Neither are in the NBA after starting off with a bang only to fizzle out busts. Give Collison time b4 anointing him the next PG of the future.

If he's that great, the Jazz should trade Hayward for him, so the Jazz can unload Deron Williams and his contract.

joew8302
06-26-2010, 08:57 PM
You have to be kidding! Collison had a nice rookie year and all of a sudden lets dump the #10 pick. What's next, trading Hibbert for Collison?

Remember Dajuan Wagner, the rookie 1 season wonder PG? Or Mike Sweetney? Neither are in the NBA after starting off with a bang only to fizzle out busts. Give Collison time b4 anointing him the next PG of the future.

If he's that great, the Jazz should trade Hayward for him, so the Jazz can unload Deron Williams and his contract.

You are right. After thinking about it my offer was rediculous. A rookie PG with a better than 2:1 Asst/turnover ratio who shot 40% from three, 47% from the field and 85% from the free throw line for a 2nd team all WAC performer is a terrible offer.

I mean heck, to get their hands on George they would have to throw in Paul, West and two future 1sts to even consider it.

joew8302
06-26-2010, 09:02 PM
And please, Wagner shot 37% from the field as a rookie and had a terrible asst/turnover ratio. Mike Sweetney played exactly 494 minutes his rookie year in 42 games. Terrible comparisons to illustrate a faulty point.

Hillman's 'Fro'
06-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, have any of you guys who think so highly of
George ever seen him play for an extended period in a game ?

PacersPride
06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I have proposed these deals on the Hornets websites, and overall gotten some interest. one fan of the hornets wanted Hansbrough, another wanted Hibbert to go with Murphy/Ford combo in exchange for Collison/Okafor/Posey.

why would Collison want to warm the bench when he is capable of playing 35 minutes a game, PT he will nvr see behind Paul.

why would NO's want to sit on Collison's talent when they have a franchise pg in Paul?

who else out there needs a pg as desparately as the pacers, and yet can offer as much as we can? no one comes to mind that i can think of.

Collison is definitely worth the investment, he is young, talented and his contract is manageable for the next few seasons. we can give him a trial run, and if dont work out we sign him as our backup or let him go. during the interim PG and PF continues to be addressed via draft and/or free agency.

What other pg's out there offer Collison's talent, and also a reasonable chance we can swing a deal with that team?

With all that said, NO's and Indiana seem like ideal trade partners on this.

The question then is, which contracts do they want to move, obviously Posey, but I think the Hornets are okay with Okafor's contract. Personally, I would be okay with Okafors contract as well, even tho he is overpaid, I feel like he would play well next to Hibbert and would give us a very formidable front court, in addition to Hans, Solo, McBob, Rolle.

Collison, Okafor, Posey
for
Ford, Murphy, filler/2nd rounder

or

Collison/ Posey
for
Ford/ 2nd rounder

I see no reason why NO's would not want to clear cap space in either of these deals. There is no reason we should have to include Rush, Hansbrough, or Hibbert.

This is a good move for both teams and I expect something will be done after both teams try to maximize return.

Giving up Murphy/Ford/ Rush and having to take back Collison/Okafor/Posey is a bit too much for the pacers to offer considering Poseys terrible deal.

Something will get done b/t these two teams cause I think neither team has better offers they could pursue.

Of course, NO's can keep Collison, then we can find a servicable pg elsewhere, so the deal needs to be win-win for both teams, and i think the above proposals meet that requirement.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
You are right. After thinking about it my offer was rediculous. A rookie PG with a better than 2:1 Asst/turnover ratio who shot 40% from three, 47% from the field and 85% from the free throw line for a 2nd team all WAC performer is a terrible offer.

If you want to play the stats game,

Augustin rookie year.

FG 43%... 3pt 44%... FT 89%... A/TO 2:1... 12 PPG

xBulletproof
06-26-2010, 09:40 PM

What? Dajuan Wagner had his colon removed because of health problems. I mean if we're entering that into evidence as to why we shouldn't get players, then we just shouldn't keep any players on the Pacers at all. You could never be 100% sure that won't happen to anyone. Even if you can be 99% sure, because the odds are overwhelming that it won't.

And Mike Sweetney started off with a bang? Whew, 4 points and 4 rebounds a game his rookie year. Set the league on fire.

The Deron Williams comment is just terrible and does nothing to further the point.

-- Steve --

joew8302
06-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Augustin rookie year.

No, I would rather play the game of being realistic, which apparently you don't if you are comparing Collison to Sweetney and Wagner.

I mean good god, how much do you value Paul George? Would you trade him for Russell Westbrook? Derrick Rose? I mean you laughed at Collison for Westbrook, so I would love to get a barometer to see just how high you are on the guy.

Just in case anyone forgot he was the tenth pick. I liked the pick, but please, if someone is dangling a young pg who had a tremendous rookie season for him straight up, how do you pass that up if you are Indiana?

On the other hand this discussion is frivolous. I highly doubt George would be the best thing New Orleans could get for Collison despite what some may think.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I mean you laughed at Collison for Westbrook,

Just in case anyone forgot he was the tenth pick. I liked the pick, but please, if someone is dangling a young pg who had a tremendous rookie season for him straight up, how do you pass that up if you are Indiana?

On the other hand this discussion is frivolous. .

Please show me where I laughed at a Collison for Westbrook trade.

That's the point, Augustin had just as good of rookie season. Then look at his 2nd year, who is to say Collison won't be the same? Why trade on the assumption a good rookie season makes a player? If that's the case, then why not revive the Bobcats trade and get Augustin?

You are wanting to make a trade for player based on a rookie season. I'm not interested in trading a player that was just drafted that I believe will have a better career than Collison. I've said this numerous times since the draft that I feel George was drafted to be the future SG of the Pacers. W/o a doubt Rush sees that the Pacers drafted his replacement.

joew8302
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I meant to say Collison for George.

Unclebuck
06-26-2010, 11:15 PM
I want Collison very badly. he is what we need. As far as "he was the product of his system" So what, he is good, really good

MaHa3000
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I want Collison very badly. he is what we need. As far as "he was the product of his system" So what, he is good, really good

Would you trade Paul George for him?

Unclebuck
06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Would you trade Paul George for him?

Yeah from what I know of Paul. yes i would

Not to suggest I don't want Paul i really do, but we need a point guard more than a small forward

pacergod2
06-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Collison was in a situation where he had the ball in his hands the entire game when Paul was out. We are going crazy over a couple of this kids games. I don't get it. Let's overpay for Collison who has proven VERY little so he can come play in an offense that will kill his value just like it has done to Rush. AWESOME IDEA!

I like Collison but I am not trying to buy high on a project.

I love Rush, but think the coach and the PF we have playing wing are bigger problems for his stats than his ability.

PacersPride
06-27-2010, 12:08 AM
agreed, not ready to give up on rush when we should be able to acquire a point guard using the expiring contracts. we are not going to be able to sign a stud free agent next season so we need to move the expirings.

dealing rush is only going to create one more position to fill. George is not ready until proven otherwise. Dunleavy is out the door, and Jones is not a starting shooting gaurd.

Rush is a very young player, if the kid ever gets some confidence he could really be a good player, defensively he has what it takes and that has not gone unnoticed.

Collison was in a situation where he had the ball in his hands the entire game when Paul was out. We are going crazy over a couple of this kids games. I don't get it. Let's overpay for Collison who has proven VERY little so he can come play in an offense that will kill his value just like it has done to Rush. AWESOME IDEA!

I like Collison but I am not trying to buy high on a project.

I love Rush, but think the coach and the PF we have playing wing are bigger problems for his stats than his ability.

pizza guy
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
agreed, not ready to give up on rush when we should be able to acquire a point guard using the expiring contracts. we are not going to be able to sign a stud free agent next season so we need to move the expirings.

dealing rush is only going to create one more position to fill. George is not ready until proven otherwise. Dunleavy is out the door, and Jones is not a starting shooting gaurd.

Rush is a very young player, if the kid ever gets some confidence he could really be a good player, defensively he has what it takes and that has not gone unnoticed.

I've noticed that your posts and my thoughts have lined up a lot on this subject. I think I'm just gonna quote you and sign my name from now on. ;)

--pizza

PacerPride33
06-27-2010, 02:22 AM
If we acquire Collison, I'm almost certain Rush would be a part of it. It seems as though the Hornets could really actually use someone like Rush. Yes they have a good young player in Thorton, but other than that who do they have? Peja and Posey? They just got rid of Mo Pete. Add Murphy into the mix and the Hornets are benefiting from the trade as much as we are

pacers74
06-27-2010, 06:20 AM
The only players you don't give up for Collison is Granger and Hibbert. If they want George that bad than you have to give him up.

aceace
06-27-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm guessing that NO wants Hibbert + expiring (prob. Murphy) in return for Collison + Okafor. Okafor is a double double guy with defense, I take him in a heartbeat with Collison. Post defense is what we need also. That still only gives us about 30M in contracts next year.

oz_pacer
06-27-2010, 08:57 AM
okafor is injury prone but he is not to bad he's better than murphy imo

MLB007
06-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Versus someone that HAS proven he can produce.
Makes absolutely no sense that they would consider that trade.

MLB007
06-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Agreed. I can't say I agree when people say why would the Hornets want Rush. There is interest throughout the league in him, and teams are looking for a good defender. He still has value, and if he finds his offensive game a bit more, teams will still want him.

Still has value - yes
Value = to a PG that showed real stuff as a rookie?
Hell no.

oz_pacer
06-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Still has value - yes
Value = to a PG that showed real stuff as a rookie?
Hell no.

I agree with you MLB007 i think we have to attach an expiring and take back a bad contract to get collison,
I read in another thread the other day that we could somehow get george hill(whom i like better than collison) for just rush? i would do these deals in a second but it's just not going to happen,
spurs/hornets would be mad

Justin Tyme
06-27-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm guessing that NO wants Hibbert + expiring (prob. Murphy) in return for Collison + Okafor. Okafor is a double double guy with defense, I take him in a heartbeat with Collison. Post defense is what we need also. That still only gives us about 30M in contracts next year.

BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF HIBBERT!

MLB007
06-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Augustin rookie year.

You left out (conveniently) APG which in comparable minutes (roughly 1/2 game) 3.5 for Augustin and 5.7 for Collison. Over a "game", that's 7 for DJ and 11.5 for Collison.
QUITE a difference.
Twice as many steals for Collison too.

MLB007
06-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I agree with you MLB007 i think we have to attach an expiring and take back a bad contract to get collison,
I read in another thread the other day that we could somehow get george hill(whom i like better than collison) for just rush? i would do these deals in a second but it's just not going to happen,
spurs/hornets would be mad

What is the point of trading Hill for Rush? You still need a point guard. A lateral move for a 2 when we just drafted 2 more swingmen makes little sense.

MLB007
06-27-2010, 04:29 PM
The only players you don't give up for Collison is Granger and Hibbert. If they want George that bad than you have to give him up.

Absolutely. I like George from what tiny bit we've seen, but we don't know that he'll make it. Nor where he will play.
Versus trading him for a player that has proven he can play AND is a position of huge need.

It's a no brainer.

owl
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM

With Rush you have 2 years of tape to look at and pretty good 3point percentage along
with great defense and potential. With Collison you have a very small sample size albeit
a good one to judge him on. I don't believe a deal with Rush and Collison as the center
pieces is an outrageous proposition.

oz_pacer
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
What is the point of trading Hill for Rush? You still need a point guard. A lateral move for a 2 when we just drafted 2 more swingmen makes little sense.

I think hill will become a really good point if given the chance he has good size at 6-2 he's a good defender his decision making and assists will only improve,
he shoots well can strectch the floor 3pt% 0.399 he also stepped up in the playoffs all of his avererages went up i just wonder why he couldn't become the pg of the future?

PacersPride
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
guys, ive been reading on ESPN/realgm hornets sites. im pretty sure they know indiana has the assets to acquire DC. cap room does intrigue them but they may want a future first, which if the pacers suck again next year is not something i want to do.

Murphy, Ford, Solo = 21 million cap room

for

DC, Okafor, Posey = 19 million

we take two contracts back that are reasonable and get the pg we need. and still have Dun/ Foster's 16 million cap room next year to resign hibbert so we can stay under the LT.

pg: Collison, Price, Jones
sg: Rush, Dunleavy, George
sf: Granger, Posey
pf: Okafor, Hansbrough, McBob
c: Hibbert, Foster, Rolle

NO's isnt going to get a better deal, giving them 21 million, plus peja/songalia's 18 million exprirings totalling 39 million in cap space for 2011.

seems like a win-win for both teams. im okay with okafor cause i think he will complement hibbert well.

graphic-er
06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
There is absolutely no reason why we need to give them 2 expirings, and take back Posey, we would be ruining our Cap space for next year to sign any decent FA's.

I'd say Muprhy + Filler( Rush, Solo, or McBob) for DC and Okafor.

MLB007
06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I think hill will become a really good point if given the chance he has good size at 6-2 he's a good defender his decision making and assists will only improve,
he shoots well can strectch the floor 3pt% 0.399 he also stepped up in the playoffs all of his avererages went up i just wonder why he couldn't become the pg of the future?

Playoff Averages SAS 10 8 34.4 0.451 0.379 0.838 0.5 2.6 3.1 0.7 1.0 0.2 0.8 2.1 13.4

Less than 1 assist a game in 34.4 minutes does not suggest a point guard in the making............................................ ........

pacers74
06-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't understand why some people don't want to get rid of our expiring contracts and want to hold on to them for until next year. What are we going to get next year? The free agent class sucks for us. Melo is going to resign. Even if he doesn't we have zero chance of signing him. Parker is coming here either.
So if we can pick up someone who looks to have all the potential to be an all star (collison) and have to take on a contract for a few years, it is what has to be done. If the contract is Okafor than we have to jump at it. He is a servicable starter who can put up descent to above descent numbers. Posey only has one additional year at about 7 mil, so I would take on him also.

d_c
06-27-2010, 10:41 PM
okafor is injury prone but he is not to bad he's better than murphy imo

I'll take him over Murphy but he costs more and, as has been pointed out by count55, his defensive ability is highly overrated on this board.

This board's opinion of Emeka Okafor's defense is what most people ASSUMED his defense would be as a draft prospect when coming into the league about 6 years ago, not what it's actually turned out to be. He'll get some blocks and double doubles (Murphy gets plenty of those too), but his ability to actually impact the game just isn't that great.

pacers74
06-27-2010, 10:50 PM
I'll take him over Murphy but he costs more and, as has been pointed out by count55, his defensive ability is highly overrated on this board.

This board's opinion of Emeka Okafor's defense is what most people ASSUMED his defense would be as a draft prospect when coming into the league about 6 years ago, not what it's actually turned out to be. He'll get some blocks and double doubles (Murphy gets plenty of those too), but his ability to actually impact the game just isn't that great.

Okafor has attempted one 3 pointer in his whole career. I'll take that in a PF, but I don't know if JOB will.

QuickRelease
06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
A game changing PG won't just fall out of the sky. Taking Okafor on isn't too bad if Collison maintains his production.