PDA

View Full Version : What You're Getting In Magnum Rolle....

rhyno
06-26-2010, 01:53 AM
I just wanted to say hello since I just registered for this forum. I was reading around to see what people were thinking about the magnum rolle pick because he's a very good friend of mine from college and I see alot of people don't know alot about magnum because he played at LA Tech and that's nowhere near indy so I wanted to shed some insight on the man and his game bc alot of people were just up in the air on him.

First off,Mag is one of the nicest dudes in the world, most of these NBA players are cocky and just a pain to be around, he's just a big kid and always has a smile on his face I guess its because he's from the bahamas and foreign people always seem friendlier. As for his game, you guys are getting the steal of the draft bar none. Magnum is a guy who was a 5 star recruit coming from high school, he played at Laurinburg which was the top prep team in the nation, the entire team played in college, even some of the JV players. He was in the top 20 in his recruiting class, he's a gazelle running the court for someone of his size.

So you're wondering why such a stud stayed in college 4 years and is now getting to the NBA? Well most 5 star recruits get to college and start right away and that was the plan for Magnum to get to LSU and start alongside Glen Davis at the 4, but he ran into a guy who camee out of nowhere and was barely recruited, a man named Tyrus Thomas, the 4th overall pick a few years back. Tyrus put together one of the greatest seasons I've seen back in 2005-2006 and that's why LSU went to the final four that year. Magnum was relegated to backing up Tyrus and Glen, not to mention mcdonalds all american Tasmin Mitchell, Darnell Lazare,Kentrell Gransberry(eventual 1st team big east player at USF), and Chris Johnson. To say that LSU team was stacked with bigs was an understatement.

Magnum was a stud as a freshman, don't look at the numbers, look at the big games in the NCAA tourney, he matched up defensively on Shelden Williams(when he was Duke's go to guy) and LaMarcus Aldridge in the sweet sixteen and elite 8. He did a great job on them...Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas,Garrett Temple...3 NBA Players along with Darrell Mitchell(leading scorer but 5'11 sg now playing overseas) along with taz Mitchell, a mcdonalds all american.....the team was loaded,he wasn't asked to do much offensively so Magnum never got to show his total game at LSU.

To think Magnum just left LSU because he's a quitter is nuts bc Brandon Bass,Tyrus Thomas, Kentrell Gransberry all ended up being big time pf's in college and all bailed on john brady the minute they could, he was one of the least liked coaches in the game and hence why he's at arkansas state college after taking a big SEC school to the final 4. John Brady had more talent at his hand in Magnum's 2 years there than he could handle and eventually Magnum had to do what was best for him and his future and leave because he had to showcase what he could do.

You guys are getting a hardworker, who isn't cocky at all, I saw one post who said he looked cocky, he's seriously a good guy and all his teammates loved him. Looking at the bigs you guys have, Foster can rebound like crazy but is very limited offensively, so is Hibbert. Troy Murphy will probably be gone soon because his contract is nearly up and I'm sure he'll get used to bring in some more pieces, but if Magnum can work and put on a little weight he's at 230 right now, he's got a fluid jumper and can blow by most bigs off the dribble. I'm telling you, look up game tape of elite 8 game vs lamarcus aldridge in 2006, he was 19 then too. The NBA draft is a total joke where people end up going bc how a guy like scottie reynolds who has good size at 6-2 doesnt get picked is beyond me. Magnum destroyed ekpe udoh and larry sanders at their workout together but ekpe and larry still both went top 15. Either way, just wanted to let you guys know what you're getting, and if Jim O'brien isn't one of those coaches that buries rookies ahem larry brown, then you're going to see a tremendous big man whose game was built for the NBA.

Kamiyohk
06-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Hey, I really like him, Just hope that he has a brillianty future with Pacers

Isaac
06-26-2010, 02:09 AM
if Jim O'brien isn't one of those coaches that buries rookies ahem larry brown, then you're going to see a tremendous big man whose game was built for the NBA.

He is.

It would be great if Magnum turns out to be a steal, but if he makes the team he doesn't have much chance of sniffing the court, at least not initially.

Dr. Awesome
06-26-2010, 02:12 AM
I appreciate the post and information. You seem to be a good poster and it would be nice to see you stick around. That being said, Rolle isn't going to make the team. We have Hibbert, Foster, and Solo at Center and Murphy, Hansbrough, and McRoberts at PF. He's got a long road ahead of him, but I wish him the best of luck.

tsm612
06-26-2010, 02:14 AM
I appreciate the post and information. You seem to be a good poster and it would be nice to see you stick around. That being said, Rolle isn't going to make the team. We have Hibbert, Foster, and Solo at Center and Murphy, Hansbrough, and McRoberts at PF. He's got a long road ahead of him, but I wish him the best of luck.

With Foster, Murphy, and probably Solomon Jones on their way out. Larry also personally interviewed Rolle when he was here working out and gave him advice, showing a lot of interest in him. I'm certain he's going to make the team.

rhyno
06-26-2010, 02:27 AM
Mcroberts was on that duke team that LSU beat in the sweet 16, watch what magnum did to him that game. Mcroberts finished 4-10 w/ 9 pts including 2 shots blocked by Magnum and 4 blocked by tyrus....to say josh mcroberts is incredibly unathletic would be an understatement, he's a nice player for sure but I'm just saying to think Magnum isn't making the roster from now is ridiculous because he just outplayed 2 first rounders in workouts....he put up 22 pts and 17 rebs on luke babbitt this year, he has a 27 pt 15 reb gm vs NM state who was a very good team, and a 23 pt 17 reb game at hawaii...you dont see guys like Roy Hibbert,josh mcroberts or Jeff Foster putting up games like that even in college. All I'm saying is he can play, and being a teammate of his in college, I just know if given the chance, the guy will impress you, I guarantee he makes the 15 man.

tadscout
06-26-2010, 02:34 AM

I see no way how you can say that... :rolleyes:

The off season has just started and we only have 11 guaranteed contracts.

Yes there is a chance he may not make the team (mattering what happens in trade, i.e, if we get back more than we send out)... but there's a very good chance he does the way the roster stands now...

Trophy
06-26-2010, 02:39 AM
I can see him battling time with Josh behind Roy at center (believing Solo is traded).

He seems like a good guy to have on the team both as a player and as a person.

indyaway
06-26-2010, 03:01 AM
if Jim O'brien isn't one of those coaches that buries rookies ahem larry brown, then you're going to see a tremendous big man whose game was built for the NBA.

He's worse than that. He plays contracts more than talent. So, big dollar players like Murph take the floor even when other players prove themselves on the floor. Obie almost seems annoyed with players like McRoberts have a big game and put pressure on him to give Josh minutes.

OakMoses
06-26-2010, 07:04 AM

It's a numbers game. Right now he's probably 7th out of 7. 6 of the bigs will wind up on the roster. If one gets traded, he'll probably make the team. If we really like him, he'll be here. It'll be very easy to move Foster or Solo if we really want to.

pacers74
06-26-2010, 07:22 AM
He got drafted, so he has a chance to make the team, but he doesn't have a guaranteed spot. We cut James White after trading up to get him. He looks good in the videos, but most youtube videos make players look good. He will have to work hard and have some luck with trades to make it here. I truly hope he does. Good luck to him.

Anthem
06-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm excited about Rolle. He may be 7th of 7 right now, but I'm expecting Troy/Solo to be gone by the time the season starts. Foster probably retires after this year, and who knows if Hans will ever be the same.

So I like Rolle's chances of making the team.

cinotimz
06-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Would have to say the odds are in his favor of making the team considering the financially strapped Pacers gave up cash in the trade to get him. Would think that a bit unlikely if they didnt feel there was a really good chance they keep him on the squad.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Thank you so much for such an informative post on Magnum. This sheds some light on why Bird wanted him. It definately opens my eyes and mind about Bird's choice as I'm not known to be a big fan of Bird's draft picks. I don't want to over drink the kool-aide about Magnum, but it would be great if he could become a nice future player for the Pacers.

Welcome to the board and please continue to post.

Since the Pacers are looking for a PG and you mentioned Scottie Reynolds, what can you tell us about him? Looking forward to reading your info on Reynolds.

Major Cold
06-26-2010, 08:41 AM
No one on this team is guaranteed, and that is good for people like Lance and Rolle.

Play it out boys.

odeez
06-26-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't know much about Magnum, but I certainly think he has a chance at making the team. A lot is going to happen between now and next season (at least I hope), and you never know who is going to be moved in a deal for our new PG. Thanks for the post and good luck to Magnum!

Anthem
06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Since the trade was essentially a pick-for-pick swap, he'll be able to play in summer league. Right?

DrFife
06-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm excited about Rolle. He may be 7th of 7 right now, but I'm expecting Troy/Solo to be gone by the time the season starts. Foster probably retires after this year, and who knows if Hans will ever be the same.

So I like Rolle's chances of making the team.

Yep, totally agree ... at least until Stanko arrives.... :rolleyes:

Anthem
06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I'll agree that Rolle is a nice guy. And he certainly has a lot of versatility. But his body type is such that he'll never be a big dude. He is very easily pushed out of position on both ends of the floor, and I don't ever see that changing. Therefore, he relies a lot on his absurd length and athleticism to get rebounds and block shots. I'm just not so sure that works for him in the NBA, when he faces up against guys with both crazy length AND strength.
So... a high-post PF that rebounds and blocks shots? That would be perfect for us.

Is it fair to say that your description would work for a young Marcus Camby?

Smoothdave1
06-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I think he has a good chance of making the roster to add some depth. If and when Solo, Foster and/or Murphy are dealt, plus the uncertainty of Hansbrough, we could have a front-court rotation of say Roy and Murphy starting with Hansbrough, Rolle and McRoberts rounding out the group.

I wouldn't be surprised if we let him play a little in Ft. Wayne this year, especially if Hansbrough is back and minutes may be limited. He can get some pt while being just a few hours up I-69.

billbradley
06-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Magnum Drafted in NBA
By Andrew Coakley
http://freeport.nassauguardian.net/sports/359898352218658.php

It all seems like a dream now.

Darrell Sears remembers the day when a 16-year-old Magnum Rolle, returned home from a camp in Arkansas and looked him in the face and said "coach, I'm going to play in the NBA."

Of course, knowing that Magnum Rolle had just learned how to get the ball into the rim a year before, coach Sears told Magnum to "take his time, and try to at least get the fundamentals down pat first."

Magnum must have seen into the future. For coach Sears, while his ambition as a basketball coach was to help train a player to make it to the high level of the game, at that point in time, he never ever dreamed it would be Magnum Rolle.

But on Thursday, June 24, coach Sears, along with coaches Victor and Munroe, and Magnum's family sat in front of the television as Rolle was selected by the Indiana Pacers in the second round draft of the NBA.

"His mom and sister just sat there and cried," said Sears, in an interview with The Freeport News.

"I'm so excited about it all. My phone has been ringing off the hook all night and all day. I don't think it has sunk in yet, the reality of what this all means."

Rolle has become the second Bahamian to be drafted in the NBA and the first Grand Bahamian to travel that road.

With so many top-notch players in Grand Bahama and in The Bahamas, probably no one saw Magnum Rolle coming. In fact, Magnum never saw this period in his life as being something that could be a reality.

It all goes back to that day when coach Sears, who was on an outside basketball court coaching a few boys, when he saw Magnum walking across the court, cutting through a track road.

Coach Sears noticed Magnum's height and stopped him to ask him if he knew how to play basketball. Magnum, who was 14 at the time, told him no.

Coach Sears convinced Rolle to give it a try. He placed Magnum by the free throw line and asked him to take a shot.

The ball went right over the backboard, into the bushes.

"All I could do was hold my head and ask myself, what I got myself into," remembers Sears.

Rolle was not interested in playing basketball and it was only a "bribe" of getting free fried chicken if he showed up for practice, that drew Rolle out to coach Sears' basketball practices.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Coach Sears, along with coaches Victor and Munroe, proceeded to teach Magnum Rolle the fundamentals of the game of basketball.

"To see him go up there, shake NBA Commissioner David Stern's hand and wear that hat that said 'Indiana Pacers' on it was overwhelming," said coach Sears.

"Magnum has come a long, long way and him being selected in the NBA Draft is a testament to other young Bahamians that nothing is impossible, once you're willing to be disciplined, put in the work and never give up."

Sears said that he had a good feeling about Indiana after Rolle had worked out with them a few weeks ago. He said that he got a positive vibe from Larry Bird and the managers of the team about Magnum.

"Larry Bird made it clear that he liked Magnum and liked what he could bring to his team, it was just a matter of making it official," said coach Sears.

Over the course of the past few weeks Magnum worked out with a number of teams in hopes of catching their eye. He got to work out with the Pacers, the Wizards, Miami Heat, Portland and the Suns.

Teams were tight-lipped about which way they would go, opting to leave the selection process as a surprise.

Asked if he spoke to Magnum since the draft, coach Sears said that Magnum was elated and excited about the possibilities.

The Draft process may be completed, but that's not the end of the road.

Things are just about to get started for Magnum, as he prepares to go into a summer league workout with the team.

It is there, Rolle will have to prove how determined he is to get on that court once the new season starts. Magnum is presently in Indiana and is going through a Physical, which he must pass.

Once that is finished Magnum will travel to Orlando on Wednesday for the summer league camp.

"I want to thank Mr. Outten of Outten Constru-ction who was like an angel for Magnum and his family for years," said coach Sears.

"Magnum made sure to send thanks to Mr. Outten for how he has helped his family.

"I also want to thank my wife, who has been there with me all the way, encouraging me to continue to coach and teach basketball. I also want to thank former St. Georges' Principal, Mrs. Cooper, Mr. Romer and present Principal Mr. Rolle and Director of Physical Education at St. Georges, Kenton Rolle."

Sears noted that all of these people played a vital role in making this dream a reality. Sears said that he could not have accomplished what he has, not just with Magnum, but in helping other kids get college scholarships, without the help of so many people.

He said Magnum is aware of all the people who have been behind the scenes praying for him, supporting him, sponsoring him and encouraging him along the way, and he sends his love and thanks to Grand Bahama and the entire Bahamas.

Sears pointed out the fact that there were over 320 players apply for the NBA Draft and only 60 were picked.

"And our Bahamian boy was among them, that's a big deal," added Sears.

"The good thing about this is that Magnum has gotten the whole package - he got his college degree and now he gets Drafted into the NBA. That's a real good thing."

IndyPacer
06-26-2010, 01:45 PM

I don't think Indiana would go to the trouble of making a trade for Rolle if they didn't think he had a chance of making this team. They could have just drafted a European player who had long term potential with their last draft pick instead of trading up to grab Rolle. I also agree with other posters who indicated that some of the PFs on the roster may not be there by the trade deadline, especially Murphy.

BornReady
06-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I feel like Magnum Rolle is an automatic fan favorite :D

maragin
06-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Rolle was not interested in playing basketball and it was only a "bribe" of getting free fried chicken if he showed up for practice

They should have used the same technique on Iverson.

MLB007
06-26-2010, 02:05 PM

DB - why would you choose to rain on this guys parade?
You ever had a buddy get drafted???
Besides which,you are wrong.
We'll keep him ahead of Solo for sure.

flox
06-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not worried about this guy's skills, I'm worried that he didn't dominate with his skills. Still, you can't be beggers about a person who seems to be a great energy role player. He's skinny but has the frame and the basic skills for sure..

If he gets the drive and bulks we will have made out pretty well.

rhyno
06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
I know alot of you feel that he's uber skinny and can't put on weight, but as a former teammate of his who has battled some great bigs of the SEC like Joakim Noah and Al Horford, Magnum at 230 is about 15 lbs lighter than a guy like Al Horford whose considered a bull in the post. As a big myself, I can honestly tell you, 10-20 lbs does not matter, the only time it matters is when you have a monster like shaq or glen davis at LSU when he was 350 lbs. In the NBA defense is truly secondary to offense, even a "GREAT" defender like shane battier or bruce bowen gets torched by kobe for 40 when Kobe wants, so you need a guy who can just hold his own and keep you in the positive on the offensive end....something jeff foster,josh mcroberts,solomon jones cannot do. Thats why I think he makes this roster, aside from the fact that he's 24 and there's no need to blow cash buying up his rights if you're just sending him to the d-league....he isn't a 19 year old prospect you take a flyer on.

While I played at LSU, I went at it at practice daily with Glen Davis,Tyrus Thomas,Anthony Randolph and Magnum and I have to say aside from Anthony who is a total package type player, I would take Magnum over Glen and Tyrus. Glen is too small and if you watched him in the finals every offensive board he got was getting blocked by pau and odom, you need to be able to go up with an offensive board and finish and thats what Magnum can do. Tyrus has no offensive game to speak of and is just a clumsy ball player, he's gotten a 5 year free pass because of his athleticism. Magnum though is a smart guy, with his head on his shoulder, a nice jumper and all of the athleticism that Tyrus Thomas Thomas.

IndyPacer
06-26-2010, 03:58 PM
rhyno:

I am pretty confident that Magnum will get a fair shot with the Pacers. I can't guarantee that O'Brien will give him much playing time, but hopefully we'll have a better coach after this year. I'm pretty happy with the selection.

BornReady
06-26-2010, 04:01 PM
oh wow you actually got to play alongside Magnum and all those guys? That's awesome :) Thanks a lot for your input! Much appreciated.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I know alot of you feel that he's uber skinny and can't put on weight, but as a former teammate of his who has battled some great bigs of the SEC like Joakim Noah and Al Horford, Magnum at 230 is about 15 lbs lighter than a guy like Al Horford whose considered a bull in the post. As a big myself, I can honestly tell you, 10-20 lbs does not matter, the only time it matters is when you have a monster like shaq or glen davis at LSU when he was 350 lbs. In the NBA defense is truly secondary to offense, even a "GREAT" defender like shane battier or bruce bowen gets torched by kobe for 40 when Kobe wants, so you need a guy who can just hold his own and keep you in the positive on the offensive end....something jeff foster,josh mcroberts,solomon jones cannot do. Thats why I think he makes this roster, aside from the fact that he's 24 and there's no need to blow cash buying up his rights if you're just sending him to the d-league....he isn't a 19 year old prospect you take a flyer on.

While I played at LSU, I went at it at practice daily with Glen Davis,Tyrus Thomas,Anthony Randolph and Magnum and I have to say aside from Anthony who is a total package type player, I would take Magnum over Glen and Tyrus. Glen is too small and if you watched him in the finals every offensive board he got was getting blocked by pau and odom, you need to be able to go up with an offensive board and finish and thats what Magnum can do. Tyrus has no offensive game to speak of and is just a clumsy ball player, he's gotten a 5 year free pass because of his athleticism. Magnum though is a smart guy, with his head on his shoulder, a nice jumper and all of the athleticism that Tyrus Thomas Thomas.

What can you tell us about Scottie Reynolds? You piqued my interest when you mentioned him.

rhyno
06-26-2010, 04:57 PM
ya,we were teammates for a long time, since I was a teammate of his in high school at Laurinburg and let me tell you, he was our go to guy late in games on a team that had the following players

Shawne Williams(memphis,former 1st rd pick of the Pacers)
Quantez Robertson(Started at PG for Auburn for 4 years)
Antonio Anderson(Started SG at Memphis)
Robert Dozier( started PF at Memphis)
Mike Smith(PF at Ole Miss)
Kareem Cooper( C at Memphis)
Roburt Sallie ( SG at San Fran)

Scottie is so underrated its a joke, that guy is a machine. He's from Va, and played all 4 years at nova, after his junior year woulda been a lottery pick, but everyone says he didn't show enough leadership his final year and he fell out the draft altogether? That is a joke, this is a guy whose 6'2 has speed,power, and 4 years of big east play under his belt. He is a starting pg in the NBA if someone like derek fisher or mario chalmers can start. The NBA is a joke sometimes on who does and doesn't get drafted. Guys like Daniel Orton put up 3 pts and 3 rbs and get drafted on POTENTIAL when you have great collegiate players getting no love. Scottie reynolds is a stud, look at his numbers. almost 40% from 3, high fg% and nearly 20 pts a gm with potential to drop 40 on any night. He led nova deep many a time and there's no reason he can't be in the nba, scouts are nuts if they find flaws in a guy like scottie, but hey 4 months ago gordon hayward was probably a second rounder at best, I mean the mans 3 pt % is terrible but a nice tourney run and he's in top 10, scottie just went the other way with a meltdown at the end of year, but I promise you he will be a fine pg one day

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-26-2010, 05:09 PM
You played on the same high school team as Shawne Williams? I'd love to hear some stories if you have any that you want to share.

2minutes twowa
06-26-2010, 05:13 PM
I watched his workout with the Wizards on youtube and was very impressed. Gets up and down the floor fast and has range out to the college 3 point line. It's a good possibility that at least 2 of our bigs are shipped out in a trade, so this guy has as good a chance as anyone to make this team.

Hoop
06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
I love rooting for the underdog, so I'd love to see a guy like Rolle become a successful NBA player, especially if it helps my team.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 05:33 PM
ya,we were teammates for a long time, since I was a teammate of his in high school at Laurinburg and let me tell you, he was our go to guy late in games on a team that had the following players

Shawne Williams(memphis,former 1st rd pick of the Pacers)
Quantez Robertson(Started at PG for Auburn for 4 years)
Antonio Anderson(Started SG at Memphis)
Robert Dozier( started PF at Memphis)
Mike Smith(PF at Ole Miss)
Kareem Cooper( C at Memphis)
Roburt Sallie ( SG at San Fran)

Scottie is so underrated its a joke, that guy is a machine. He's from Va, and played all 4 years at nova, after his junior year woulda been a lottery pick, but everyone says he didn't show enough leadership his final year and he fell out the draft altogether? That is a joke, this is a guy whose 6'2 has speed,power, and 4 years of big east play under his belt. He is a starting pg in the NBA if someone like derek fisher or mario chalmers can start. The NBA is a joke sometimes on who does and doesn't get drafted. Guys like Daniel Orton put up 3 pts and 3 rbs and get drafted on POTENTIAL when you have great collegiate players getting no love. Scottie reynolds is a stud, look at his numbers. almost 40% from 3, high fg% and nearly 20 pts a gm with potential to drop 40 on any night. He led nova deep many a time and there's no reason he can't be in the nba, scouts are nuts if they find flaws in a guy like scottie, but hey 4 months ago gordon hayward was probably a second rounder at best, I mean the mans 3 pt % is terrible but a nice tourney run and he's in top 10, scottie just went the other way with a meltdown at the end of year, but I promise you he will be a fine pg one day

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on Reynolds game as I don't believe many on this board are familiar with it? I know I'm not.

rhyno
06-26-2010, 05:51 PM
What's there left to say about scottie reynolds? Look at his stats

FG - 45%
FT - 84%
3PT - 39%

Eric Bledsoe is 6'1 about the same size, a little quicker, here's his stats last year

FG - 46%
FT - 67%
3PT - 38%

Bledsoe was a kentucky darling went in the top 20, reynolds came off a first round NCAA suspension and didn't get picked, what more can I tell you. He has it all he can penetrate with great speed, super mid range game, can hit the 3 at a 40% clip.Anyone who says he isn't athletic enough to play the point in the NBA clearly hasn't seen Steve Nash,Derek Fisher, or Andre Miller running shows deep in the playofss. Yes it would be ideal if evey pg was 6'5 and as quick as rondo but in reality a 6'1 floor general who can go into one of the toughest buildings in college ball in louisville and drop nearly 40, that's someone who has an NBA game. I'm sorry, like I said defense in the NBA is not really as important as having someone who can hold his own on both ends and reynolds can more than hold his own offensively and thats enough. I mean nate robinson can't defend anyone and he's in the league. Steve Nash could never guard anybody and he's a hall of famer, so as a pg, if you can just guide the team, be a threat so your bigs can't get doubled, hit clutch ft, and hit the open 3.....defensively,filtering your man into the paint for your bigs to deal with is good enough as far as Im concerned

Kemo
06-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Since the trade was essentially a pick-for-pick swap, he'll be able to play in summer league. Right?

Honestly , I see him making the team..

I mean WHY would the Pacer's F.O. just throw away "cash considerations" along with a pick swap , for just a chance to see him more up close in summer league???

It doesn't make sense... especially with the financial constraints they have.. to just throw away money ...

Brad8888
06-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I bet that he will be a great rolle player. :rimshot:

Young
06-26-2010, 07:26 PM

I mean WHY would the Pacer's F.O. just throw away "cash considerations" along with a pick swap , for just a chance to see him more up close in summer league???

It doesn't make sense... especially with the financial constraints they have.. to just throw away money ...

They did throw away an extra second round pick or two and maybe cash to move up to get James White.

Hoop
06-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Magnum P.F.

Hoop
06-26-2010, 10:13 PM
They did throw away an extra second round pick or two and maybe cash to move up to get James White.
and a guaranteed million dollar contract.

IndyPacer
06-26-2010, 10:27 PM

James White turned out to be a jackass that the Spurs didn't want either. He had plenty of talent.

I've never read anything about Rolle acting that way. Quite the opposite, actually.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=IndyPacer;1020374]

James White turned out to be a jackass that the Spurs didn't want either. /QUOTE]

AND the whole time he was there with the Spurs the Pacers were paying him! Grrr.

Chuck Chillout
06-26-2010, 10:44 PM

Man, what a softball.:) You realize we are paying Jim O'Brien again this year to "grow our young guys," so...

maragin
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
AND the whole time he was there with the Spurs the Pacers were paying him! Grrr.

Hey, at least he got a ring.

BRushWithDeath
06-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Mcroberts was on that duke team that LSU beat in the sweet 16, watch what magnum did to him that game. Mcroberts finished 4-10 w/ 9 pts including 2 shots blocked by Magnum and 4 blocked by tyrus....to say josh mcroberts is incredibly unathletic would be an understatement, he's a nice player for sure but I'm just saying to think Magnum isn't making the roster from now is ridiculous because he just outplayed 2 first rounders in workouts....he put up 22 pts and 17 rebs on luke babbitt this year, he has a 27 pt 15 reb gm vs NM state who was a very good team, and a 23 pt 17 reb game at hawaii...you dont see guys like Roy Hibbert,josh mcroberts or Jeff Foster putting up games like that even in college. All I'm saying is he can play, and being a teammate of his in college, I just know if given the chance, the guy will impress you, I guarantee he makes the 15 man.

You may know Magnum Rolle but you apparently must not know much of anything about the Pacers.

Or proper punctuation.

xBulletproof
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I know what we're getting. A guy who's name sounds like it's a new brand of condom that rolls itself on for you.

That alone is priceless.

Anthem
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
You may know Magnum Rolle but you apparently must not know much of anything about the Pacers.
Be nice to the new guy, Brush. He's not here because he's a long-time Pacer fan (although he's about to become one). He's here because he knows somebody on the team.

I wouldn't expect somebody new to know a ton about the Pacers... give him time.

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Sorry but this OP is a bit ridiculous.

First off,Mag is one of the nicest dudes in the world, most of these NBA players are cocky and just a pain to be around

Wow. Painting with a broad brush I see. Everybody's bad but my boy's good is what you're trying to tell us. You'd be better off if you had simply said Mag is a very nice dude and ended it like that. And if he is nice he'll fit in with the Pacers who seem to be very nice guys themselves even though they are NBA players.

So you're wondering why such a stud stayed in college 4 years and is now getting to the NBA? Well most 5 star recruits get to college and start right away and that was the plan for Magnum to get to LSU and start alongside Glen Davis at the 4, but he ran into a guy who camee out of nowhere and was barely recruited, a man named Tyrus Thomas, the 4th overall pick a few years back. Tyrus put together one of the greatest seasons I've seen back in 2005-2006 and that's why LSU went to the final four that year. Magnum was relegated to backing up Tyrus and Glen, not to mention mcdonalds all american Tasmin Mitchell, Darnell Lazare,Kentrell Gransberry(eventual 1st team big east player at USF), and Chris Johnson. To say that LSU team was stacked with bigs was an understatement.

Gransberry played his last season in college in 2008. Was he still at LSU at the time Mag was there? Because according to your scenario Mag would have transferred and sat out one season (2007) only to play one final year of college basketball.

Magnum was a stud as a freshman, don't look at the numbers, look at the big games in the NCAA tourney, he matched up defensively on Shelden Williams(when he was Duke's go to guy) and LaMarcus Aldridge in the sweet sixteen and elite 8. He did a great job on them.

Unless I pull out tapes/dvds of the games (I know I have a couple of them) it will be hard to judge what he did since, as you say, we can't go by numbers. And are you not giving enough credit to the other bigs on LSU in helping keep the opponents in check?

..Glen Davis, Tyrus Thomas,Garrett Temple...3 NBA Players along with Darrell Mitchell(leading scorer but 5'11 sg now playing overseas) along with taz Mitchell, a mcdonalds all american.....the team was loaded,he wasn't asked to do much offensively so Magnum never got to show his total game at LSU.

Maybe but that's what every player (as well as the family and friends of players) say whenever they leave a school: I wasn't able to show what I can do/I wasn't allowed to show my whole game. The vast majority of the time that's not the case, even when a player clashes with a coach. Jeremiah Rivers made a similar complaint when he left Gtown and went to Indiana. And after a year of sitting out during which he could have worked on his game, Jeremiah showed no improvement during his first season with the Hoosiers. Going back to LSU I agree Brady was horrible. But does that mean he was responsible for Mag not living up to expectations at LSU? I don't know if that's fair.

You guys are getting a hardworker, who isn't cocky at all, I saw one post who said he looked cocky, he's seriously a good guy and all his teammates loved him. Looking at the bigs you guys have, Foster can rebound like crazy but is very limited offensively, so is Hibbert.

You know nothing about Hibbert (who by the way owned this "stud" Gransberry when they matched up). Roy is not limited on offense. His skill on that side of the ball is actually more advanced than other bigs considering he can score with either hand, put the ball on the floor, pass from any part of the floor and has a legit faceup jumper. Hibbert's limitations comes more on the defensive side and rebounding. He is not very athletic either.

The NBA draft is a total joke where people end up going bc how a guy like scottie reynolds who has good size at 6-2 doesnt get picked is beyond me.

Stop. Scottie is a homeboy, he's from my neck of the woods. After getting out of his commitment to Oklahoma (once that idiot coach stepped away to take the Indiana job), Scottie was ready to commit to Georgetown. But Coach Thompson had already gotten a commitment from another guard named Chris Wright and had no room for Scottie. So lets just say I have been taking an interest in Scottie for five years. And you know what? I have always pointed out he was never a legit pro. First of all he is not 6'2, maybe not even 6 feet. Second of all he his ballhandling skills are terrible for someone who is trying to be an NBA point guard. He is also relatively slow on both offense and defense. He scored mostly on wild drives to the basket (which often resulted in fouls in his favor that he would not get in the pros) or open looks beyond the perimeter. Stay with him and put a hand in his face and he is an average shooter at best. Must point out as well he is a bad decision maker and his first three years at Villanova were characterized by all the ill advised shots he took and all the silly turnovers when he attempted to do things he wasn't capable of. He can't create for others. And, oh he had no leaping abilities. But other than that I guess he is a swell prospect. Look when the dude left to test the waters after his junior season everyone knew he would be back because no NBA team was going to draft him. Scottie wasn't some stupid kid, he was smart enough to realize the safe thing was to return to college to get his degree and improve his game in any way. So he returned (and had like two or three press conferences announcing his return). He had a very good senior season (although the second half of the season was much worse than his performance during the first half of the year). But outside of improving to an extent his decision making, Scottie has not shown much improvement in any area over the course of four years in college. Four years. His chances of being drafted by the NBA was probably best when he was a frosh putting up ridiculous numbers on a somewhat bad team (and jacking up a lot of shots in the process). NBA scouts go silly over freshmen because of their so-called ďupsideĒ and Iím sure one or more stupid NBA GMs would have drafted Scottie early in the second round. But the same scouts will pick apart a playerís game the longer they stay in school and for Scottie that was especially bad because his flaws were so evident. Nice kid, good guy. I hope he succeeds in life. But if he makes an NBA team this fall Iíd be surprised. If he ends up being any good Iíll eat my words. But as things stand right now I donít see that happening. So your claiming that the NBA draft is a joke because he wasnít drafted is a bit laughable. There were more legit examples you could have relied on.

As for Mag heíll have his chance to prove the doubters wrong. But there are things that worry me. A five star big man who goes to college and gets buried is not what youíd call a good sign. And then he transfers and goes to a lesser conference (and lesser competition) and STILL canít crack the first round of the NBA draft? That might not tell me that he is unworthy of being a pro but it does suggest to me he was one of many countless guys who were overrated coming out of high school.

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Scottie is so underrated its a joke, that guy is a machine. He's from Va, and played all 4 years at nova, after his junior year woulda been a lottery pick, but everyone says he didn't show enough leadership his final year and he fell out the draft altogether?

LOL! I know I already discussed this in my last post but I have to now come back and add you lose all credibility when you claim Scottie would have been a lottery pick last season. If he would have been a first round guy last season (regardless of lottery) he would have never returned to Villanova for his senior year. Everyone knows this. Well, I thought everyone knew this until I read your post. In fact if he could have gotten a promise of guarantee money as a second rounder (ala DaJuan Blair) Scottie would have probably stayed in the 2009 NBA Draft. It was well documented that he was told by scouts that he would not be drafted.

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Geez. Hibbert put up big numbers against the likes of Greg Oden, Thabeet and Aaron Grey as well as either outplaying or holding his own against Brandon Wright, Hansbrough, McRoberts, DaJuan Blair, Joakim Noah and Al Horford while in college. He did have his own double-doubles in college too you know even while playing in a slowed down system. Maybe if you paid attention to someone other than Mag you'd know that. Good Lord if Roy could have feasted on Hawaii or NM State for a few seasons instead of opponents in the Big East....

Putnam
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
KennerLeaguer knows this stuff.

Every player ought to have a poster advocating wisely and well-informedly for him, as Kennerleaguer does for Hibbert.

Trader Joe
06-28-2010, 09:48 AM

Dude, saying Josh McRoberts is not athletic shows you have no idea what you're talking about and makes me seriously question your ability to evaluate talent.

Plus in your original post you say Hibbert is limited offensively? Uh, no. His offensive skill is pretty freakin' incredible and he can score in a variety of ways.

I appreciate your input, but forgive me if after these two comments I question you ability to both be impartial and evaluate talent.

Trader Joe
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM

James White says, "HIDY HO!!!!!!"

Gamble1
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I am not sure why we have to bash a guys opinions even if they are obiviously wrong (Hibbert + Josh). I mean welcome to the board Ryno!!! We just like to bash other peoples opinions because its different from our own.....

I personally like hearing from the teammates of other players that we drafted. IT atleast brings more insight than some cheesy youtube videos.

Putnam
06-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I am not sure why we have to bash a guys opinions even if they are obiviously wrong (Hibbert + Josh). I mean welcome to the board Ryno!!! We just like to bash other peoples opinions because its different from our own

If a statement is obiviously wrong, then "bashing it" may occur for that reason, rather than "just because it's different from our own."

Rhyno is a new guy, and I like him. He represents the next step in a very cool trend here at PD. Every year when a new college player joins the Pacers we pick up a good new poster: Loborick, KennerLeaguer, etc. I don't know what Rolle's chances of making the team are, but I hope rhyno stays.

Perhaps rhyno's the sort of guy who can learn from us as well as teach us something new. And perhaps he's willing to say, "I didn't know that about Hibbert or McRoberts -- thanks for setting me straight."

Let's at least give him a chance to respond with graciousness and moderation before we give him the Kindergarten Participation Award and declare him off-limits.

Trader Joe
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Is anyone else having a problem where new posts disappear from the thread if the topic is live when loading the topic from the forum index? This keeps happening to me in this thread when I try to read Putty's new post.

Gamble1
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
If a statement is obiviously wrong, then "bashing it" may occur for that reason, rather than "just because it's different from our own."

Rhyno is a new guy, and I like him. He represents the next step in a very cool trend here at PD. Every year when a new college player joins the Pacers we pick up a good new poster: Loborick, KennerLeaguer, etc. I don't know what Rolle's chances of making the team are, but I hope rhyno stays.

Perhaps rhyno's the sort of guy who can learn from us as well as teach us something new. And perhaps he's willing to say, "I didn't know that about Hibbert or McRoberts -- thanks for setting me straight."

Let's at least give him a chance to respond with graciousness and moderation before we give him the Kindergarten Participation Award and declare him off-limits.
How about we show some graciousness when correcting him. Sort of be the bigger man. I know that might be too much to ask of some but it is one of the things that keep me coming back here and not some other board.

Did I say he should be off limits? I love how things get twisted.

BornReady
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
some draft workout vids I found on Magnum last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBk0X2wDVLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8TYJEJb9oA&feature=related

Anthem
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
some draft workout vids I found on Magnum last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBk0X2wDVLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8TYJEJb9oA&feature=related
Nice work!

I've got to say, I didn't know the guy existed before the draft, but he does have a pretty good mid-range stroke. He could be a good fit in the high post w/ Hibs down low.

rhyno
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
To the guy wondering if magnum played with Gransberry, here is what happened. At the start of the 2005-2006 season, we had Glen Davis and Magnum slated as the 4/5 to start the season with a bench of incoming juco transfer Kentrell Gransberry,a nobody from baton rouge named tyrus thomas who was a 2 star recruit, darnell lazare, and myself another 6-11 forward.

So when camp opened and Tyrus came out of nowhere, dunking everything and blocking shots left and right it completely changed everything. Everyone on that team knew what we had in tyrus and glen. The season previews had us finishing 4th or 5th in the SEC but a few weeks into the season we were like 17-1 and in the top 15.

Kentrell had lost out his rotation spot to magnum and left without even putting up a fight and that's fine he went down to USF and averaged 15-10 for a couple seasons in the big east, yet couldn't even play with tyrus,glen,and mag. Magnum not putting up numbers is a ridiculous statement on your part because playing with Glen Davis,Tyrus Thomas, and Garrett Temple who are all in the NBA would hurt anyone's numbers. Throw in Tasmin Mitchell who was a freshman and a McDonald's all american at the 3 taking his shots along with the teams best player a 5-11 sg named darrell mitchell and you would know that Magnum was basically option number 6, and that's why we went to the final four. He was never asked to score on that team, his job was to come in and be LONG and give glen and Tyrus there 15 minutes off every night.

Also about scottie being from your neck of the woods...you're from VA? Then you would know who I was, because I'm from VA and played plenty of AAU with scottie and know him first hand. We had a big matchup with the atlanta celtics and Dwight Howard and Josh Smith one year where our starting center was bombali osby from maryland who couldnt' defend anyone and you know who dropped 47 pts and led us to a victory? That terrible player scottie reynolds, all Im saying is the man is a gamer, you have some guys who disappear when the lights come on, and he does not. Thank you, and again you can be an armchair quarterback all you want, but I've been up close with all these guys my whole life and can tell you who can play. All of us who played with Tyrus knew he was an athlete, but we all knew there was no way in hell he'd ever be more than a shawn marion or kenyon martin back when he was on the nets.....the difference, those guys had steve nash and jason kidd, tyrus with the right pg would've been that.

pacerDU
06-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey rhyno - appreciate your input! It's always cool to have someone with "inside" knowledge.

I don't know anything about Magnum, so I'm not even going to try to comment on his game, but I'm definitely encouraged by your evaluation. If he's a good guy and hard-worker, I'll be rooting for him.

Like another poster mentioned, would you say his game is/could be somewhat like Marcus Camby?

rhyno
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
no not at all, I'd say his game is more like lamarcus aldridge. He's incredibly long and athletic. Camby is just a defensive presence, magnum has a great mid range game while still being incredibly athletic. I'm telling you if he gets in the right system he's as athletic a big man as there is and that's alot coming from me because I got to watch probably the most athletic big man I've ever seen in Tyrus. Tyrus and Magnum would have these little competitions and both of them could throw down some vicious dunks from the foul line and beyond.

For those wondering, I found this he was ranked #23 in his HS class....Hansbrough and brandon rush were #15 and 16....obviously the list is off bc alot of guys never lived up to their potential like greg paulus,josh mcroberts and tasmin mitchell in the top 10, but overall you get a feel of what type of players were rated so highly. Mag was rated higher than 1st rounder shawne williams and they were on the same high school team with me, so just like i told you, he was our go to guy

http://louisianatech.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&yr=2005&cfg=bb

here's the high school team he played on...he was the best player out of all those d-1 guys

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Every guy in that top 10 list you posted is in the NBA right now except for former NBA Slam Dunk Champion Gerald Green who left to play in Russia a year ago. Bunch of underachievers that group. Mag was robbed.

1. Josh McRoberts (3 year NBA vet)
2. Gerald Green (4 year NBA vet)
3. Monta Ellis (5 year NBA vet)
4. Martell Webster (5 year NBA vet)
5. Louis Williams (5 year NBA vet)
6. Andray Blatche (5 year NBA vet)
7. Tyler Hansbrough (1 year NBA)
8. Julian Wright (3 year NBA vet)
9. Andrew Bynum (5 year NBA vet)
10. C.J. Miles (5 year NBA vet)
13. Amir Johnson (5 year NBA vet)
15. Brandon Rush (2 year NBA)
16. Jon Brockman (1 year NBA)
19. Mario Chalmers (2 year NBA)

Not to mention the numerous players rated below him who are far more accomplished. (Danny Green, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Terrence Williams, Wilson Chandler, Sam Young, Darren Collison, etc.)

maragin
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Rhyno, good to have you here and posting. Appreciate the info.

Are you still in touch with Magnum? If so, do you think he'd be willing to do a Q&A session for an hour or two here on PD? I know there are lots of Pacers fans here that would love to find out more about him.

rhyno
06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
I am, we workout together everyday, but I know he just went up to indiana this morning, so i dont think Im going to be seeing him again anytime soon at least until summer league is over.

BornReady
06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
no not at all, I'd say his game is more like lamarcus aldridge. He's incredibly long and athletic. Camby is just a defensive presence, magnum has a great mid range game while still being incredibly athletic. I'm telling you if he gets in the right system he's as athletic a big man as there is and that's alot coming from me because I got to watch probably the most athletic big man I've ever seen in Tyrus. Tyrus and Magnum would have these little competitions and both of them could throw down some vicious dunks from the foul line and beyond.

For those wondering, I found this he was ranked #23 in his HS class....Hansbrough and brandon rush were #15 and 16....obviously the list is off bc alot of guys never lived up to their potential like greg paulus,josh mcroberts and tasmin mitchell in the top 10, but overall you get a feel of what type of players were rated so highly. Mag was rated higher than 1st rounder shawne williams and they were on the same high school team with me, so just like i told you, he was our go to guy

here's the high school team he played on...he was the best player out of all those d-1 guys

well look at that: richard hendrix is on the list. guess who we have on our summer league roster? :D

docpaul
06-28-2010, 10:25 PM

That must make you Chris Johnson, eh?

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27829&SPID=2166&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=185991&Q_SEASON=2005

Do you know any places we could get access to previous games you both played together online?

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
I am not sure why we have to bash a guys opinions even if they are obiviously wrong (Hibbert + Josh). I mean welcome to the board Ryno!!! We just like to bash other peoples opinions because its different from our own.....

I can live with the misinformation regarding Josh and even Roy. But the Scottie Reynolds stuff? That's a bit much. He wrote that Scottie would have been a lottery pick if he left after his junior season and he couldn't be more wrong about that. Ever.

BornReady
06-28-2010, 10:52 PM
meh w/e. we all have our biases. just like how everyone on this board overrates mcroberts, this guy likes reynolds a lot, probably because they play together a lot and are friends. we all overrate the people we like.

IndyPacer
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Are you still in touch with Magnum? If so, do you think he'd be willing to do a Q&A session for an hour or two here on PD? I know there are lots of Pacers fans here that would love to find out more about him.

Yeah, I'd definitely like that.

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 11:15 PM
To the guy wondering if magnum played with Gransberry, here is what happened. At the start of the 2005-2006 season, we had Glen Davis and Magnum slated as the 4/5 to start the season with a bench of incoming juco transfer Kentrell Gransberry,a nobody from baton rouge named tyrus thomas who was a 2 star recruit, darnell lazare, and myself another 6-11 forward.

So when camp opened and Tyrus came out of nowhere, dunking everything and blocking shots left and right it completely changed everything. Everyone on that team knew what we had in tyrus and glen. The season previews had us finishing 4th or 5th in the SEC but a few weeks into the season we were like 17-1 and in the top 15.

Kentrell had lost out his rotation spot to magnum and left without even putting up a fight and that's fine he went down to USF and averaged 15-10 for a couple seasons in the big east,

Sir, I'm just asking for a bit of clarity. The LSU team with Tyrus Thomas in the lineup went to the Final Four in 2006 right? Well if so if Gransberry transferred after that season was over then he would have had to have sat out in the 2007 season (more specifically the '06-'07 season) and started his play at USF in the 2008 season ('07-'08). But as far as I know he graduated in 2008 so that would mean he only played one year of hoops at USF, not a couple. Now perhaps he got a waiver in order to be home near a sick family member and therefore did not have to sit out a year. Or maybe during the '05-'06 season he saw the writing on the wall early on and transferred after the first semester (which meant he would have been long gone by the time the LSU Tigers went to the Final Four in March) in order to be eligible by January of 2007 for whatever team he went to. If its not one of those two reasons then something must be off with your math. Its not a big deal and frankly I could just look it up myself. I was just wondering about Gransberry's timeline.

Also about scottie being from your neck of the woods...you're from VA? Then you would know who I was, because I'm from VA and played plenty of AAU with scottie and know him first hand. We had a big matchup with the atlanta celtics and Dwight Howard and Josh Smith one year where our starting center was bombali osby from maryland who couldnt' defend anyone and you know who dropped 47 pts and led us to a victory? That terrible player scottie reynolds, all Im saying is the man is a gamer, you have some guys who disappear when the lights come on, and he does not. Thank you, and again you can be an armchair quarterback all you want, but I've been up close with all these guys my whole life and can tell you who can play. All of us who played with Tyrus knew he was an athlete, but we all knew there was no way in hell he'd ever be more than a shawn marion or kenyon martin back when he was on the nets.....the difference, those guys had steve nash and jason kidd, tyrus with the right pg would've been that.

Sorry, friend. I still don't know who you are. But now that I know you played alongside Scottie I can better understand your view of him. Now with that being said yes I know all about Scottie's exploits and the HUGE numbers he put up in high school and on the AAU circuit. As someone who lives in the DC area and as someone who went to DeMatha and as someone who keeps up with the local recruits how could I not know about Mr. Reynolds? I even seen him put up impressive performances in the legendary Kenner League summer games. I was hoping for awhile that he would suit up for Georgetown. I was a fan of what the guy could do. However I was also aware very early on that Scottie was not a big time pro prospect based upon all the reasons I gave in a previous post. I've been watching basketball and schooled on basketbal too long to not see his flaws and realize that his game doesn't necessarily translate to the pro level. By his soph season at Villanova I had him pegged as a college star only, not a guy to make a long living (if any) in the NBA. There was not one thing he did very well. If he was a true elite shooter then he would at least provide a valuable commodity for NBA teams but he's not even that. He had a great college career but that doesn't mean he is destined for the pros. And there is no shame in that. He would not be the first cat to light up high school and AAU but wasn't good enough for the pros. He isn't the first player to put big numbers in college who ended up not impressing NBA scouts. It happens. He can still prove doubters like me wrong and I wish him luck. But that's how I see it. And claiming he was some lottery pick-to-be after his junior season? Who told you that? Scottie himself? Whoever told you that was either lying or misinformed.

rhyno
06-29-2010, 02:50 AM
1. Like I said earlier, Gransberry didn't even bother trying to battle tyrus,magnum, and glen for pt, right after the first exhibition game he transferred, he did not play one game for LSU in 2005-2006 or ever for that matter. There were only 80 minutes a night to split between the 4/5 and with Glen and Tyrus taking up 60 of those, the other 20 were going to go to kentrell,magnum,darnell lazare, and myself.

2. Scottie Reynolds is an elite player/shooter no matter what this guy is trying to fight with me over. Yes I am biased because I know him and have played against him, but not everyone can go into Rick Pitino's house where Louisville is one of the toughest teams in the nation to play and drop 37 pts. Look to think he can't play is absurd, look at his stats last year, I did a comparison of them along with Eric Bledsoe, the 18th pick's stats.....scottie had better numbers, in probably the toughest conference in college ball.You can't teach his leadership, and it doesn't show up in stats, he does what it takes to win. NBA teams backed off of him because of his off the court issues, trust me anybody that leads a team like he lead NOVA to a great record every year is a PG to watch.

NBA teams sometimes can't see what's right before them, like I personally have to say of all the PG I watched suring my time at LSU and in the SEC, Alabama guard Ronald Steele was the best PG I ever watched up close, the NBA obviously felt otherwise, but to this day, I feel ronald steele should be starting somewhere in the NBA, best pure PG I have ever seen in a game and I've seen a ton of guys who play in the NBA right now.

So yea if I was a GM, scottie reynolds and ronald steele would be NBA players, but that's why my opinion is mine, and when this guy over here gets out and plays against a few people, like I've battled McRoberts, you can then form your own opinion, but sorry I am very unimpressed with Josh McRoberts' game. I do believe Magnum is a better player, sorry, it's my opinion, but I've played with both, guess pacer fans will hopefully get a chance to see whose better. My final collegiate game was against UNC and Tyler Hansbrough and I have to say of all the bigs I battled that year, Tyler did not impress me much either athletically,he busts his butt and has a motor that won't stop, but that didn't stop me from blocking him 4 or 5 times. The NBA is about athleticism and Tyler honestly does not have it, sorry but I had a much harder time dealing with someone like patrick patterson,korvotney barber(probably best big i played against),Darian Townes or Wayne Chism

imawhat
06-29-2010, 04:05 AM
My final collegiate game was against UNC and Tyler Hansbrough and I have to say of all the bigs I battled that year, Tyler did not impress me much either athletically,he busts his butt and has a motor that won't stop, but that didn't stop me from blocking him 4 or 5 times. The NBA is about athleticism and Tyler honestly does not have it, sorry but I had a much harder time dealing with someone like patrick patterson,korvotney barber(probably best big i played against),Darian Townes or Wayne Chism

You do realize that every player you just named had worse measurements, including vertical leap, than Tyler, right?

Obviously he didn't leave you with an impression, so maybe you can explain further how shorter guys with lower vertical jumps gave you a harder time (also, you had 2 blocks against Tyler).

I'm interested to see what Magnum can bring to the Pacers. I haven't seen a lot of him, but his size/build/shot remind me a lot of Solomon Jones, but better athletically. Their college stats are pretty similar.

Putnam
06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Why so serious, everybody?

Rhyno says Scottie Reynolds is a good college player, based on his own obseervations and on Reynold's stats:

Scottie Reynolds is an elite player/shooter no matter what this guy is trying to fight with me over. . . Look to think he can't play is absurd, look at his stats last year,

And Kennerleager says almost exactly the same thing:

I know all about Scottie's exploits and the HUGE numbers he put up in high school and on the AAU circuit. . . . However I was also aware very early on that Scottie was not a big time pro prospect . . . By his soph season at Villanova I had him pegged as a college star only, not a guy to make a long living (if any) in the NBA.

You guys are actually agreeing with each other about what is knowable.

As to what is unknown, Reynolds wasn't even drafted. He's going to play for Phoenix's (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100629_Sports_in_Brief__Reynolds_lands_a_shot_at _Suns.html) summer league team. We'll see what he does there.

Trader Joe
06-29-2010, 09:53 AM
1. Like I said earlier, Gransberry didn't even bother trying to battle tyrus,magnum, and glen for pt, right after the first exhibition game he transferred, he did not play one game for LSU in 2005-2006 or ever for that matter. There were only 80 minutes a night to split between the 4/5 and with Glen and Tyrus taking up 60 of those, the other 20 were going to go to kentrell,magnum,darnell lazare, and myself.

2. Scottie Reynolds is an elite player/shooter no matter what this guy is trying to fight with me over. Yes I am biased because I know him and have played against him, but not everyone can go into Rick Pitino's house where Louisville is one of the toughest teams in the nation to play and drop 37 pts. Look to think he can't play is absurd, look at his stats last year, I did a comparison of them along with Eric Bledsoe, the 18th pick's stats.....scottie had better numbers, in probably the toughest conference in college ball.You can't teach his leadership, and it doesn't show up in stats, he does what it takes to win. NBA teams backed off of him because of his off the court issues, trust me anybody that leads a team like he lead NOVA to a great record every year is a PG to watch.

NBA teams sometimes can't see what's right before them, like I personally have to say of all the PG I watched suring my time at LSU and in the SEC, Alabama guard Ronald Steele was the best PG I ever watched up close, the NBA obviously felt otherwise, but to this day, I feel ronald steele should be starting somewhere in the NBA, best pure PG I have ever seen in a game and I've seen a ton of guys who play in the NBA right now.

So yea if I was a GM, scottie reynolds and ronald steele would be NBA players, but that's why my opinion is mine, and when this guy over here gets out and plays against a few people, like I've battled McRoberts, you can then form your own opinion, but sorry I am very unimpressed with Josh McRoberts' game. I do believe Magnum is a better player, sorry, it's my opinion, but I've played with both, guess pacer fans will hopefully get a chance to see whose better. My final collegiate game was against UNC and Tyler Hansbrough and I have to say of all the bigs I battled that year, Tyler did not impress me much either athletically,he busts his butt and has a motor that won't stop, but that didn't stop me from blocking him 4 or 5 times. The NBA is about athleticism and Tyler honestly does not have it, sorry but I had a much harder time dealing with someone like patrick patterson,korvotney barber(probably best big i played against),Darian Townes or Wayne Chism

You playing against them does not make you an expert in evaluating talent, sorry.

The mighty "Big East", the best conference in college basketball, in your opinion, which Scottie Reynolds dominated, was roundly considered the biggest flop of this year's NCAA tourney. The Big East put 8 teams in the tourney, the most of any conference, due to them being vastly overrated during the regular season. Of those 8 teams, FOUR of them whizzed out in the first round, of those four, THREE of them were beaten by teams that were seeded lower (GTown, Notre Dame, and Marquette). One team from those 8 made it past the Sweet 16 (WVU. Which to be fair did make it to the final 4, where they then got eviscerated by Duke).

Scottie Reynolds in the final game of his college career, the gamer, the guy that should be drafted on his ability to show up to big games alone, went an extremely unimpressive 2/11 from the field with only 8 points against a tenth seeded St. Mary's team. The game before that in the first round, Nova barely escaped being upset by the 15th seeded Robert Morris Colonials (the powerhouse that they are) in overtime by three points. In that game, your boy Scottie, went 2/15 from the field, 1/8 from the 3pt line, and only scored 20 points off of the wild drives that the refs were bailing him out on again and again and again. Calls that he never would have received in the NBA.

Gamble1
06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
The NBA is about athleticism and Tyler honestly does not have it, sorry but I had a much harder time dealing with someone like patrick patterson,korvotney barber(probably best big i played against),Darian Townes or Wayne Chism
ITs not all about athleticism.

We have all seen tons of guys come into the league with incredible athleticism and are quicky ushered out because they can't understand the game.

Guys who rely purely on their athleticism are only able to go so far just like guys who are more cerebral and less athletic are.

Remember you are talking to a bunch of posters who watched Rik Smits and now Roy HIbbert play. I am not even going to go there with Reggie Miller either.

Point is we would love to have the most athletic guys on this team if it meant more wins. Then again we would love to have a unathletic Steve Nash or Pau Gasol if it also meant more wins.

graphic-er
06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Magnum will make this team if he plays well. Solo will be waived if they have to make room.

esabyrn333
06-29-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLRBajfq6xE

This is a pretty cool video of Magnum training.....The guy looks good on the video and I could see him developing into a solid NBA guy.

odeez
06-29-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLRBajfq6xE

This is a pretty cool video of Magnum training.....The guy looks good on the video and I could see him developing into a solid NBA guy.

Hey thanks again for this video. Magnum is putting in the work and I can't wait to see him in Summer league next week!

MagicRat
07-01-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/dakich/podcast.aspx

Short interview with Magnum on the Dakich show today. Not much interesting, other than he's named after Magnum, P.I.........

BornReady
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
http://twitter.com/Wells222/status/17595185011

2nd round pick Magnum Rolle has been the most impressive player so far in the rookie/free agent camp, according to coach Jim O'Brien

odeez
07-02-2010, 03:56 PM

2nd round pick Magnum Rolle has been the most impressive player so far in the rookie/free agent camp, according to coach Jim O'Brien

I saw this as well, it's nice to hear he is making an impact. I think Magnum could turn out to be a great second round pick.

Brad8888
07-02-2010, 03:58 PM

That matches what the highlight videos we have seen would have suggested with respect to NBA readiness, IMO.

But, it might just mean that George isn't hitting his 3's and that Stephenson can't play the point guard position instantly without having ever played the position before from what we can tell.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Good to hear Rolle is doing well. Though I would rather hear this about our #10 pick, even #40 for that matter.

Still good to hear nonetheless

Pacers2012
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
With Rolles speed, quickness and explosivness along with his shot should move to PF. He plays good weak side defense blocking shots and i think would develop better as a pf. He reminds me a lil of amre stoudemire a young amre. He still needs work but his game is made for the nba. I hope to see him in the rotation this year and avg 10ppg 6rpg n 1bpg

NuffSaid
07-02-2010, 08:16 PM
With Foster, Murphy, and probably Solomon Jones on their way out. Larry also personally interviewed Rolle when he was here working out and gave him advice, showing a lot of interest in him. I'm certain he's going to make the team.
I hope Magnum "PI" does make the team. I'd really like for all 3 of our new draftees to sign w/the Pacers because I think all three are skilled enough to play. Maybe only George will get to play some this year, but I still think Stephenson and Rolle can help this team if not right away then certainly in the near future.

The Pacers so need players who can create for themselves and are athletic like McRoberts. I've watched a few videos on George and Rolle and although it's just college ball, both seem to hold their own very well. Both have a nice shooting touch and both seem to have very high basketball IQs. They see plays unfold before they happen and instinctively respond by placing themselves in the right position to score the ball.

As for Rolle (and Stephenson), I really hope the Pacers can keep them. They'll wish they had otherwise especially Rolle.

CableKC
07-02-2010, 08:37 PM
rhyno, thanks for whatever insight into Magnum. I get that you may have a unique and maybe favored impression of him, so you'll forgive many of us if we take what you're saying with a grain of salt. I hope that the majority of what you have posted is somewhat true and that we do have a steal on our hands.

If anything....based off of what we have seen in practice and what we've heard...I hope that he does make the roster.

KennerLeaguer
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
The mighty "Big East", the best conference in college basketball, in your opinion, which Scottie Reynolds dominated, was roundly considered the biggest flop of this year's NCAA tourney. The Big East put 8 teams in the tourney, the most of any conference, due to them being vastly overrated during the regular season. Of those 8 teams, FOUR of them whizzed out in the first round, of those four, THREE of them were beaten by teams that were seeded lower (GTown, Notre Dame, and Marquette). One team from those 8 made it past the Sweet 16 (WVU. Which to be fair did make it to the final 4, where they then got eviscerated by Duke).

I disagree with a lot of this. A conference can afford to have one awful showing in the NCAA tournament without having to be viewed as overrated. I mean its not like the situation with the Big Ten which not too long ago had a few straight bad years in which it was putting a bunch of teams in the tourney only to see one or two survive past the first weekend. And frankly its not always fair to judge a conference by how its teams do in a one-and-done tourney anyway. Truth is the Big East conference had a very disappointing tournament showing this past season but during the regular season it and I believe the Big 12 had the best record against teams from the other major conferences. That's nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately it also had teams like Villanova which peaked early and it had teams like Georgetown that could beat anyone but also lose to anyone. The Hoyas handedly defeated Washington as well as the two teams that played in the championship game (Duke and Butler) during the regular season. But during that same regular season it lost to Old Dominion at home as well as to Rutgers. The Hoyas were Jeckyl and Hyde and one never knew which team was going to show up. However despite the bad showing by the Big East at least some pride was restored when West Virginia made it to the Final Four.

timid
07-03-2010, 08:43 PM
damn some of u are some haters...pacers been pissin me off for years but i can still stay positive..if i didnt know any better id think rolle and scottie were worse than these bums i whoop on at the park...but i dont really care bout none of that..from my own see and eye test reynolds has game...couple of my homeboys love his game..i know of rolle but havent really seen his game like that

Putnam
07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Where's Barbara Billingsley when you need her?