PDA

View Full Version : if Hayward was there at 10..

PacersPride
06-25-2010, 11:55 PM
would Bird have drafted him? i know this is hypothetical but kinda of interested in your guys responses.

i was surprised the Jazz grabbed Hayward at 9. i wonder if Bird would have taken Hayward or went with George.

guess we will never know but that would have been interesting to see in some ways.

Kamiyohk
06-25-2010, 11:57 PM
....i will give E grade about this year draft..

Day-V
06-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Have I mentioned lately just how much I love the Utah Jazz? No?

I *****ing love the Utah Jazz.

PacerGuy
06-26-2010, 12:03 AM
...If my aunt had a "package'....

:rolleyes:

Sorry, just don't see the point. I've read this chapter & turned the page.

tsm612
06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
No idea. Larry obviously thinks very highly of Hayward, but they seem to have really been targeting George. Either way, if Hayward was there, I think it would have been a long 5 minutes for Larry. One thing worth mentioning though, when he was interviewed after the draft and spoke about Hayward, Larry mentioned that he would be a good fit in Utah. If I remember correctly, and I'll have to go back and watch the video again, but I think he used the words better fit in Utah. If you read into that, maybe he didn't think Gordon would fit well here.

pizza guy
06-26-2010, 12:09 AM
No idea. Larry obviously thinks very highly of Hayward, but they seem to have really been targeting George. Either way, if Hayward was there, I think it would have been a long 5 minutes for Larry. One thing worth mentioning though, when he was interviewed after the draft and spoke about Hayward, Larry mentioned that he would be a good fit in Utah. If I remember correctly, and I'll have to go back and watch the video again, but I think he used the words better fit in Utah. If you read into that, maybe he didn't think Gordon would fit well here.

What I remember was Bird talking about Hayward getting to play for a really good coach out there, with Sloan. I'm just going to read between the lines here and say that Bird knows Obie sucks and is planning to fire him soon. :dance:

:tinfoil:

--pizza

tsm612
06-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Also worth noting, Utah HATED their pick.

From Bruno's latest article:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_100625.html

Hayward pick unpopular in Utah

Here's something Gordon Hayward didn't expect to hear on draft night: boos.

But that was the reaction from Utah fans when the former Butler star was announced as the No. 9 pick.

From the Salt Lake Tribune:

Many of the 3,500 fans who attended the Jazz’s draft party at EnergySolutions Arena lustily booed the choice, knowing that several post players — including Cole Aldrich of Kansas, Ed Davis of North Carolina, Paul George of Fresno State and Patrick Patterson of Kentucky — remained available when the Jazz picked, after the top seven selections went about as expected.

The reaction was so aggressive — some fans walked out before an interview with Hayward was broadcast on the video screen — that vice president of basketball operations Kevin O’Connor felt compelled to take the microphone to defend the choice.

“The only thing I hope is that in two years you’re not booing,” he said.

Coach Jerry Sloan said the boos comprised a “natural reaction” for fans who “aren’t familiar with what we’re trying to accomplish. We’re trying to get the best player, and sometimes that’s not who everybody wanted.”

Bird believes Hayward will thrive in Utah.

"We were interested but for the young man I'm happy because he's going to the right place," Bird said. "Everyone likes to play in their hometown and I understand that but he couldn't go to a better place because I know the coaches out there, I know how they're going to treat him and he's going to have the opportunity to play on a good team. So it's going to be a good fit for him."

So Bird didn't actually say Jazz was a better place for him, but rather he couldn't go to a better place.

graphic-er
06-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Well Bird say before the draft that Hayward wasnt' getting his due and though he could go as high as 7 or 8. That certainly means he was good enough for 10. We would have drafted him no doubt in my mind.

Psyren
06-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Mike Wells responded to a fan on his twitter account who asked the following:

slcc40: "do you think the pacers would have taken Hayward had he still been on the board at 10??"

Wells222: "Nope"

I don't know what would've happened, Larry and Morway are the only ones who truly know what may have happened. But I think the Pacers were set on George regardless

Mike Wells Twitter (http://twitter.com/Wells222)

jeffg-body
06-26-2010, 12:16 AM
I was just glad he wasn't there for the picking and am happy with George.

graphic-er
06-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Wells doesn't know anything.

If anything Hayward is a more polished player than George. The Jazz obviously thought so, George was high on their list as well.

tsm612
06-26-2010, 12:20 AM
<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=pacers_300x170&videoId=teams/pacers/2010/06/25/larrybirdpresserv2100625wmv-1357414" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=pacers_300x170&videoId=teams/pacers/2010/06/25/larrybirdpresserv2100625wmv-1357414" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

At around 1:20 Bird starts talking Hayward, and he does say "it couldn't be a better fit for him."

PacersPride
06-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Have I mentioned lately just how much I love the Utah Jazz? No?

I *****ing love the Utah Jazz.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

PacersPride
06-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Well Bird say before the draft that Hayward wasnt' getting his due and though he could go as high as 7 or 8. That certainly means he was good enough for 10. We would have drafted him no doubt in my mind.

unfortunately, i have to agree with you. its not that i dont like hayward or think he will be a solid player, but gordon is a SF. George is a SG/SF. so the need was just not there for Hayward on this pacers squad.

plus, i reallly would not have wanted to hear the ethnic comments regarding the pick. bad to say but very true.

i wish Hayward the best of luck, that kid really inspired alot of basketball dreams with his spectacular play in the tournament.

focused444
06-26-2010, 12:43 AM
I always do thoroughly enjoy a good mystery...

Will Galen
06-26-2010, 02:06 AM
would Bird have drafted him? i know this is hypothetical but kinda of interested in your guys responses.

i was surprised the Jazz grabbed Hayward at 9. i wonder if Bird would have taken Hayward or went with George.

guess we will never know but that would have been interesting to see in some ways.

Your presupposing that both would be available. However, Hayward most likely would have been available at 10 because Utah took George at 9. Utah was interested in George too. Then your question wouldn't have come up.

indyaway
06-26-2010, 03:08 AM
We were @ the ESPN bar near the Staples center for the draft. Cheered when Utah took Hayward so that Bird couldn't pull his BWGA strategy. Everyone at the bar could predict either Utah or Indy would draft Hayward. Nets fans (all of which were thrilled the trade w/ Indy didn't go down) started poking fun saying Bird would reach for Cole Aldrich.

Day-V
06-26-2010, 06:36 AM
We were @ the ESPN bar near the Staples center for the draft. Cheered when Utah took Hayward so that Bird couldn't pull his BWGA strategy. Everyone at the bar could predict either Utah or Indy would draft Hayward. Nets fans (all of which were thrilled the trade w/ Indy didn't go down) started poking fun saying Bird would reach for Cole Aldrich.

The speaker acoustics at Conseco were so bad, when Commissioner Assh*le began to announce our pick, I thought he said "Cole" instead of "Paul".

I was very close to throwing a hissy fit the like of which no one has ever seen.

indygeezer
06-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Well as the lone guy on this board that actually has been going to Butler games for the last several years and has seen these guys play, I'm betting that you're going to be very sorry you have made those comments.

Did I want the Pacers to draft him? Nope, JOB would ruin him. I'm thrilled he went to my 2nd fav NBA team (you who are old enough to know will remember I was a big Jazz fan during the Malone, Stockton, Paxson era...with Malone my favorite alltime player).

Day-V
06-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Well as the lone guy on this board that actually has been going to Butler games for the last several years and has seen these guys play, I'm betting that you're going to be very sorry you have made those comments.

While I only went to the Championship Game, I still watched Butler games all season and cheered like crazy for them. But I tried to keep my homerism aside when looking at how his game translates to the pros (Please note I'm not at all saying that you are being a homer regarding him).

And with that said.....I just don't see it. The positives and negatives about him have been mentioned many times on here, so I won't get into that. I just simply don't see becoming anything more than a guy with Jason Kapono, Kyle Korver-like success.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Oh geez, another enthralling Hayward thread. This is nothing more than an Alford re-run. Some need to quit living in what could have been, and start living in what is reality. Paul George was an excellent choice for the Pacers. Gordon Hayward has gone to a championship contending team with a great coach who can be an outstanding teacher and mentor. Lets be happy for him, and let the kid get on with his life.

I'm glad Hayward wasn't available for Bird to have to consider picking. No matter what Bird's decision would have been he would have been highly criticized for his decision. I'd rather Bird not having to take the time and energy to defend whatever choice he would have made, and devote that time to finding a PG for the Pacers for this coming season. It's a much higher priority than having to defend whether he did or didn't draft Hayward.

indygeezer
06-26-2010, 08:32 AM
While I only went to the Championship Game, I still watched Butler games all season and cheered like crazy for them. But I tried to keep my homerism aside when looking at how his game translates to the pros (Please note I'm not at all saying that you are being a homer regarding him).

And with that said.....I just don't see it. The positives and negatives about him have been mentioned many times on here, so I won't get into that. I just simply don't see becoming anything more than a guy with Jason Kapono, Kyle Korver-like success.

Anything wrong with Korver like success? I never predicted Jordan-like success but he's certainly a much better player than he's being given credit for. Wow, you got to go to the Championship game? I'm jealous, that would have been a lifetime experience.

Major Cold
06-26-2010, 08:56 AM
He wasn't there at 10. Which is the best thing for the state. Bird did not hesitate when asked would he consider taking him at 10.

This is the best thing for the state.

BlueNGold
06-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I thank God the Jazz picked him because it's a best case situation for him. As for the Pacers picking him, I doubt it would have happened.

vnzla81
06-26-2010, 10:08 AM
I actually want to say thanks to the Utah Jazz for taking him of the Pacers hands, I can't express my feelings with words so I would use a dancing banana to do so

:dance:

Day-V
06-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Anything wrong with Korver like success?
For a well-established organization like Utah? No, not at all. But for us? At the 10th pick? It'd have been kind of worthless.

Wow, you got to go to the Championship game? I'm jealous, that would have been a lifetime experience.

Oh man, it was a thing of beauty. I got to meet Peyton Manning, Ryan Diem, and Jim Boeheim all before the game. It was truly a beautiful sight. 70,000-ish people all joining together to show their hatred for the Dukies and the love of their Bulldogs. Duke Hatred is a powerful thing. I saw, with my own 2 eyes, it bring together a St. Louis Cardinals fan and a Chicago Cubs fan.

If only that *****ing shot was about 1 more inch to the left. *** damn, I still can't discuss that game.

graphic-er
06-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Well if he shows promise in this first couple years, you can be sure Bird will make a trade for him or look to sign him once his contract is up.