PDA

View Full Version : Pacers draft strategy: Perception vs Reality

Ransom
06-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Hello, time for a rare post. This may be a sensitive topic, but my point isn't to be controversial, just share a thought based on anecdotal experience.

Does it seem to anyone else that despite everyone assuming the Pacers have a tendency to draft and pursue slow, white, fundamentally sound "Larry Bird" clone players, they in fact are much more likely to draft athletic prospects with lots of potential? Going back to when Larry was coach and not GM, you can see for every Josh McRoberts, Troy Murphy or Tyler Hansbrough there's 2-3 Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington, J. Bender, James White or Paul George. Bird in particular actually seems more in love with unproven athletes with huge upsides than most.

I"m not saying that's good or bad, but I'd like to see more discussion about this tendency and strategy in building a team, vs what I commonly see fans talk about. Everyone seemed to assume Gordon Hayward would be selected by the Pacers, when I actually feel that, Hansbrough's draft last year not withstanding, we've actually drafted more Paul George types. It's hard to get a good analysis or intelligent conversation about the Pacers rebuilding efforts if what everyone thinks the Pacers are doing and what they actually are doing are two different things.

docpaul
06-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't see any pattern to be honest outside of Bird looking for his best player available

Magic P
06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
We don't have the whitest team in the league for nothing. I think the stereotype has some merit.

graphic-er
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I thikn the problem is Larry Bird over promises and under delivers

"Were gonne bring in one of the best shooters in the league" = Travis Deiner

Then we heard all up and down from the Pacers that point guard is priority #1 and the draft was the best chance to get one, and we come back wiht zilch.

indygeezer
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I thikn the problem is Larry Bird over promises and under delivers

"Were gonne bring in one of the best shooters in the league" = Travis Deiner

Then we heard all up and down from the Pacers that point guard is priority #1 and the draft was the best chance to get one, and we come back wiht zilch.

That is because LB exposes his playing cards before the game begins. I'd love to be on the opposite side of the table from him during real estate negotiations.

Brad8888
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Where do you find those "In Before the Lock" thingies?

Oh, here's one...

:inbeforethelock2:

Brad8888
06-25-2010, 04:44 PM
That is because LB exposes his playing cards before the game begins. I'd love to be on the opposite side of the table from him during real estate negotiations.

Why? Shouldn't the seller always say that nothing is included, the buyers are being insulting with their offer, and that the buyer must pay all closing costs and the next year's taxes?