PDA

View Full Version : Paul George on the competition at wing

Speed
06-25-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100625/SPORTS04/6250400/Pacers-draft-choice-faces-keen-competition

Pacers draft choice Paul George faces keen competition

by Mike Wells

Indiana Pacers rookie forward Paul <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_0_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-FAMILY: inherit">Georgehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</NOBR> (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100625/SPORTS04/6250400/Pacers-draft-choice-faces-keen-competition#) knows he's playing a position that's the deepest on the roster.

That's fine with him, he's ready for the challenge.

"It's competition," George said during his introductory press conference at Conseco Fieldhouse today. "I knew what to expect coming in. No job is given. You've got to compete for it. I think that will make all of us better. Whatever lineup that we have you'll know that person well-deserved it and he'll be that much better because of the hard work we put in for that position. I'm ready for the challenge."

George, the No. 10 pick in Thursday's draft, joins a wing group that includes Danny Granger, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones, Brandon Rush and Lance Stephenson.

"The plan is to get a lot of good players, as many as you can and it'll become very clear who should be on the court, what combination of players should be on the court," Pacers coach Jim <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_4_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-FAMILY: inherit">O'Brienhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</NOBR> (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100625/SPORTS04/6250400/Pacers-draft-choice-faces-keen-competition#) said. "One of the things that Larry tried to establish here over the last couple of years and I think we're well on the way to establishing it, is to change the culture of players here."
George, who left Fresno State after two years, averaged 16.8 points and 7.2 rebounds last season.

"I feel like I can contribute right away, especially I want to come here early and work and make sure I'm ready for when that time does come," he said. "I really, truly believe that in this system and with these people around me that I can fully maximize my potential."

----------

Maybe Brandon needs to take a page out of this book.

graphic-er
06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I bet he starts over Rush by the end of the season.

OakMoses
06-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm actually really excited by the prospect of a Rush/George/Granger trio.

Anthem
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Agreed. That'll be a nice rotation. Maybe George is good enough to start in a year, maybe not. But having three solid wing players will be great.

I don't understand the "Brandon needs to take a page out of his book" comments (in this thread and others). I don't remember Brandon ever saying he didn't want competition.

Gamble1
06-25-2010, 04:46 PM
I bet he starts over Rush by the end of the season.
I bet Rush isn't a Pacer by the end of the season.

Psyren
06-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Assuming Rush is still on the roster, that isn't a bad combo.

But I'm anticipating seeing rush traded here this offseason, and we see George starting at the 2 next to Granger.

IndyPacer
06-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Same here. I hope they keep Rush.

Back in the day Al Harrington actually had a pretty sweet deal playing starter minutes behind All-Star forwards Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest, but he didn't realize what he had until it was gone. Or perhaps I should say until he was gone.

If Paul George can back up both Rush and Granger at SG and SF in a similar manner (actually, I hope he does it in a more impressive manner and without the whining of Harrington), I think we would be in great shape at the wing positions. Things look really good at SF, SG, and C, although we could use a bit of depth behind Hibbert. We will still need a couple of pieces at PG and PF before we can go very far, but I like the players we have. If Price and Hansbrough both make a recovery, I think they will do a decent job until we get starting caliber players in those positions. Maybe Indiana can flip some of this expirings into a good player for one of those positions. I really don't want to give away our best young players, including Rush, especially if we get a decent coach after this year. I think Rush and Hibbert in particular would benefit from a different style of play.

naptownmenace
06-25-2010, 05:32 PM
I bet he starts over Rush by the end of the preseason.

Fixed! ;)

idioteque
06-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm not as gung ho about trading Rush as some of you are.

I do this he's somewhat of a malcontent, I don't think he likes Indy, I don't think he likes our front office, and most importantly I don't think he likes playing for the Pacers at all right now. But the fact is outside of Granger he is probably the best wing on our roster as we speak.

You only trade Rush at this point if you're pretty certain George will be able to start his first year (which I doubt) and that Dunleavy can be a primary backup wing with Stephenson being good enough to get minimal time in the rotation and relieve Dunleavy when needed. If Dunleavy is still a shell of his former self and Stephenson and George are as raw as some expect, we have no one but Rush to lean on right now.

Psyren
06-25-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm not as gung ho about trading Rush as some of you are.

I do this he's somewhat of a malcontent, I don't think he likes Indy, I don't think he likes our front office, and most importantly I don't think he likes playing for the Pacers at all right now. But the fact is outside of Granger he is probably the best wing on our roster as we speak.

You only trade Rush at this point if you're pretty certain George will be able to start his first year (which I doubt) and that Dunleavy can be a primary backup wing with Stephenson being good enough to get minimal time in the rotation and relieve Dunleavy when needed. If Dunleavy is still a shell of his former self and Stephenson and George are as raw as some expect, we have no one but Rush to lean on right now.
I can't disagree with this, but what about Dahntay?

Trophy
06-25-2010, 10:49 PM
If Brandon is traded, I can see us starting Mike at SG and not immediately throw the starting pressure on Paul right away.

SG Dunleavy/Stephenson
SF Granger/George/DJones

By doing this, it'll allow Paul to learn from Danny as his backup for a few months and then possibly switch places with Mike once he feels he's ready to take over the starting SG spot.

Day-V
06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Brandon Rush on the competition at the wing:

http://grovesmedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/crying_baby2.jpg

Trophy
06-25-2010, 10:58 PM

Dahntay might be a baby screaming and crying.

He has to compete at the wing for another 3 seasons.

In JOB's eyes, there is no competition, he'll bench Dahntay for shooters.

Day-V
06-25-2010, 11:01 PM
In JOB's eyes, there is no competition, he'll bench Dahntay for shooters.

Which is a shame.

Side note, I actually like Dahntay's mid-range game. I think I've said on here before, I hate that I heard him say he's going to work on his 3-point shot this summer. I'd rather him spend the summer honing in on his mid-range jumper and get it down to where it's almost 2003-2004 Rip Hamilton-esque (or something at least close to it).

Strummer
06-25-2010, 11:04 PM
I like that Danny and Paul have been working out together. You know Danny must have given a good report on Paul and liked what he brought to the team. I expect them to compliment each others play...

Anthem
06-26-2010, 07:20 AM

That's a cheap shot.

dohman
06-26-2010, 11:59 AM
This could actually be the best thing for rush. He has not been pushed by anyone to keep his spot it was just kind of his because we had no one else.

tsm612
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
This could actually be the best thing for rush. He has not been pushed by anyone to keep his spot it was just kind of his because we had no one else.

Most players are motivated because they want to win. If he's only motivated enough to just try to keep his job, then good riddance.

pacers74
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Rush seems to be motivated only in March and April. He needs to put a whole year together a some point. I would be glade to let some other team to try and motivate him.

Freddie fan
06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Paul George was second-team All-WAC last season. He averaged 16.8 points and shot 42.4 percent from the field, including 35.3 percent on 3s. He put together those rather modest numbers on a 15-18 squad that didn't play in one of the strongest college conferences.

George may have a great future ahead, but he doesn't sound to me like somebody who'll be ready to be a starter in the NBA next season.

IndyPacer
06-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Paul George was second-team All-WAC last season. He averaged 16.8 points and shot 42.4 percent from the field, including 35.3 percent on 3s. He put together those rather modest numbers on a 15-18 squad that didn't play in one of the strongest college conferences.

George may have a great future ahead, but he doesn't sound to me like somebody who'll be ready to be a starter in the NBA next season.

I agree that he probably isn't ready to be a full time starter right away, but I think you should also consider that some of the people he played with there were reported to be pretty poor teammates. I don't think you should judge him to harshly with those stats. We was very unhappy in his situation and tried to make the best of it, but he said that was one of the main reasons for leaving school when he did.

Magic P
06-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Kobe wasn't NBA ready either.

MLB007
06-26-2010, 02:39 PM

From what I've read, he was the best player by far on a team that PLAYED walk ons. The team was left in pieces after the previous coach left a mess ala Calipari.
Read a couple of things that said he was often doubled and even triple teamed. VERY little help.
Probably not fair to compare his statistics given that scenerio.

flox
06-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
199697 L.A. Lakers 71 6 15.5 .417 .375 .819 1.9 1.3 .7 .3 7.6
199798 L.A. Lakers 79 1 26.0 .428 .341 .794 3.1 2.5 .9 .5 15.4

I don't know... 7.6 pts in 15.5 minutes? I'd say that's pretty close.

Magic P
06-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
1996–97 L.A. Lakers 71 6 15.5 .417 .375 .819 1.9 1.3 .7 .3 7.6
1997–98 L.A. Lakers 79 1 26.0 .428 .341 .794 3.1 2.5 .9 .5 15.4

I don't know... 7.6 pts in 15.5 minutes? I'd say that's pretty close.

Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ws2yhBzJjis&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ws2yhBzJjis&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

flox
06-26-2010, 05:27 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ws2yhBzJjis&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ws2yhBzJjis&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

While that is true, he at least took those shots and was in the playoffs that was, right?

Thats more than you can say about our rookies.

Anthem
06-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Rush seems to be motivated only when not playing next to TJ Ford.
Fixed.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Neither was Granger, and look how that has turned out.

Magic P
06-27-2010, 06:31 AM
While that is true, he at least took those shots and was in the playoffs that was, right?

Thats more than you can say about our rookies.

If our Rookies had Shaq we would be in the playoffs too.

sportfireman
06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Anyone else remember when we were excited about a S. Williams and Granger forward combo?............I see that happening again just with much more sucess this time George and Granger........ It would be small ball but I think this combo could work.

Mourning
06-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Agreed. That'll be a nice rotation. Maybe George is good enough to start in a year, maybe not. But having three solid wing players will be great.

I don't understand the "Brandon needs to take a page out of his book" comments (in this thread and others). I don't remember Brandon ever saying he didn't want competition.

Ditto! And if it were up too me, I would keep all these three guys and rotate them. IMHO Dun Dun and Jones (alas, as I like him) would be the ones getting hit by this. Stephenson has a chance to enter the competition aswell.

OTOH, maybe it's better to let Rush go in a trade, combine it with an expiring and/or some other smaller asset(s) and get something substantial back at PG or PF and let Jones focus more on what he is good at, defending ths SG spot, and together with Stephenson and George form our SG trio, while George could also get some SF minutes.

Sollozzo
06-27-2010, 12:31 PM

That's not true at all.

When The Mamba was a rookie, he was an 18 year old kid playing on a super talented team that featured the likes of Shaq, Eddie Jones, and Nick Van Exel - guys who obviously wanted to have a substantial amount of shots. In his first season, Kobe averaged a respectable 7.6 points in just 15.5 minutes a game. Then he exploded in his second season as a 19 year old, averaging 15.4 points off of the bench in just 26 minutes of play. Finally in his third season he was granted a starting role and got his fair share of shots as the Lakers traded away guys like Eddie Jones and Van Exel, thus granting Kobe a huge share of the offense. His response? He averaged 20 points as a 20 year old....

If that's not NBA ready I don't know what is.....

The difference between Kobe and Lebron in the first couple of years of their careers is that Kobe was on a super talented veteran with well established players who weren't about to let an 18 year old kid take a bunch of shots away from them. He'd only get that chance when those guys were traded away. Lebron, OTOH, was the Messiah on a worthless Cleveland roster and was clearly already the best player on the team the moment he was drafted. He could do whatever he wanted offensively from day 1.

Sollozzo
06-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Numbers are deceiving. Kobe took bad shots and he really wasn't ready for the big stage. Those air balls he shot against Utah in the playoffs proved that.

And how many other 18 year-olds have the stones to take those shots in that situation? In fact, Shaquille O'Neal said years later that Bryant was the "only guy at the time who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

So he failed to come big in that situation as an 18 year old. Big deal. Experiencing failure is a right of passage in the NBA, something every young star has to have a taste of before they can achieve finer things. All Kobe did was build on that experience and came back the next year averaging 15 points off of the bench. The year after that? 20 points as a 20 year old. The guy was as NBA ready as it gets.

You're using the Utah airballs to support your assertion that he wasn't NBA ready when in fact they say just the opposite........

Hicks
06-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Can you imagine how this board would react to our rookie shootings those air balls? You'd expect fires at Conseco if he wasn't traded....

hans023
06-27-2010, 05:56 PM
If Brandon is traded, I can see us starting Mike at SG and not immediately throw the starting pressure on Paul right away.

SG Dunleavy/Stephenson
SF Granger/George/DJones

By doing this, it'll allow Paul to learn from Danny as his backup for a few months and then possibly switch places with Mike once he feels he's ready to take over the starting SG spot.

I agree with you. Plus I see Mike coming back strong this season.

pizza guy
06-28-2010, 12:03 AM

That was awesome to watch.

Think we can talk Stockton into coming out of retirement?

--pizza

Magic P
06-28-2010, 12:35 AM
And how many other 18 year-olds have the stones to take those shots in that situation? In fact, Shaquille O'Neal said years later that Bryant was the "only guy at the time who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

So he failed to come big in that situation as an 18 year old. Big deal. Experiencing failure is a right of passage in the NBA, something every young star has to have a taste of before they can achieve finer things. All Kobe did was build on that experience and came back the next year averaging 15 points off of the bench. The year after that? 20 points as a 20 year old. The guy was as NBA ready as it gets.

You're using the Utah airballs to support your assertion that he wasn't NBA ready when in fact they say just the opposite........

Is this the same Shaq who told Kobe how his *** taste because he couldn't win without him?

The video does prove Kobe wasn't NBA ready, he was far from the black mamba in the clip, he was more like a garden snake. I agree with your experience statement. Kobe had to grow into the player he is now, hopefully George will grow to be a great player as well. But he clearly was not NBA ready in '97.

jeffg-body
06-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Maybe this competition with Rush will light a fire under his keister. If Rush could keep his job at the 2 maybe we could use George as a back-up for both 2 and the 3 having him get his 25-30 minutes a night without the starter pressure.

BornReady
06-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Maybe this competition with Rush will light a fire under his keister. If Rush could keep his job at the 2 maybe we could use George as a back-up for both 2 and the 3 having him get his 25-30 minutes a night without the starter pressure.

if this doesnt, i dont know what will, and rush deserves to get traded

Bball
06-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Can you imagine how this board would react to our rookie shootings those air balls? You'd expect fires at Conseco if he wasn't traded....

I don't know about that... So many variables that fans look for that the airballs alone wouldn't do it (I'm sure somebody would say something but I'm talking overall).

For one thing, some players have an aura of confidence around them and some have a deer in the headlights look. Some look like they are a sponge and soaking up the NBA game... some look like they might have the same basketball IQ as a sponge. Some show improvements and new things seemingly each time they step on the court... Some look worse each time they step on the court... while some seemingly twist/break/injure something each time they step on the court.

A few airballs alone need to be looked at in context and not necessarily be a cause for worry... Especially if you know the player has a head and body for the game, can hit those shots in practice, has hit them in HS and/or college, etc...