SkipperZ
08-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Bill Simmons is an idiot.

SkipperZ
08-04-2004, 01:38 PM
but i agree with some of his points.

ABADays
08-04-2004, 01:56 PM
I haven't heard too many Dream Team references about this team.

ChicagoJ
08-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Why would you say Bill Simmons is an idiot? Page 2 stuff is supposed to be entertainment, not traditional sports journalism.

Fool
08-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Why would you say Bill Simmons is an idiot? Page 2 stuff is supposed to be entertainment, not traditional sports journalism.

He calls himself an idiot in almost every column (including this one). So I think you are missing the reference there.

SkipperZ
08-04-2004, 06:34 PM
shoulda put a :cool:

he specifically says "Remember, I'm a complete idiot. Don't forget this. Not for a second." in this article. And pretty much every single one he writes.

That being said I still don't agree with most of the stuff he writes, but I know its supposed to be for entertainment.

the one thing he is right on the money on is the need for outside shooting. However, I don't agree that wade or bibby is the best option available at point, but that's because I think Rafer Alston is. Actually we should just send the And 1 crew out to Greece and just see what happens. Other countries may lose all respect for us, but ratings will be up and it would at least be entertaining.

Honestly any team that made the playoffs last year this side of Boston would have little trouble bringing home the gold. It says something that the olympic commitee cant put together a team of WHOMEVER they wish in the league (albeit minus the big guns that rejected their offer) that could beat Italy. It shouldnt be taht hard to put together a team that can man up on a team that pales in comparison athletically with what is seen in the NBA. It really is not that difficult.

Roy Munson
08-04-2004, 07:03 PM

Honestly any team that made the playoffs last year this side of Boston would have little trouble bringing home the gold. It says something that the olympic commitee cant put together a team of WHOMEVER they wish in the league (albeit minus the big guns that rejected their offer) that could beat Italy. It shouldnt be taht hard to put together a team that can man up on a team that pales in comparison athletically with what is seen in the NBA. It really is not that difficult.

I agree with your comment, so how about this for a olympic team selection method: Take the 2 teams who finish 9 in their conference. Have them play one game on a neutral court. The winner gets to represent the USA in the Olympics (Or WC's if it is one of those years). Seriously, at least this would give us a TEAM instead of what we have now.

It would be a consolation prize for almost making the playoffs, and our team would have from April till June to rest before they had to start practicing for the Olympics.

ABADays
08-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Paraphrasing Herb Brooks:

We have to change what we do. We can't just keep throwing all-stars out on the floor. We have to change the way we play the game.

ROCislandWarrior
08-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Paraphrasing Herb Brooks:

We have to change what we do. We can't just keep throwing all-stars out on the floor. We have to change the way we play the game.

This came from a man who was at the bottom of the "Mountain" (and I mean Mountain) looking up.

The view is a bit different here. The US isn't even throwing all-stars out there. As the draft waters down every year with more youth and potential...less actual talent...so does Team USA.

Anthem
08-05-2004, 02:33 AM
That would be great... get the "seasoned" vets out there. They wouldn't need to defend, so what's the problem?

I really think they could compete for the GoldBond Medal!

hoopsforlife
08-05-2004, 09:03 AM
I think that it would be fun to see what a team full of old guys might do. Guys about to retire, or just recently retired. For instance, something like: Stockton, Malone, Reggie, David Robinson, & Jordan for a starting line-up. You could surround them with smart, athletic veterans. They probably wouldn't have the athleticism to win the gold, but they wouldn't be embarassing themselves by playing crummy basketball. Depending on who you picked, it is possible that they could even practice together a significant amount in the early summer.

I think this thought mainly stems from how much I miss StocktontoMalone.

That is a good idea. Put Steve Kerr out there to shoot and Rik Smits to Stand under the basket, with some of the other guys you named and they couldn't lose. :laugh:

ChicagoJ
08-05-2004, 12:33 PM

he specifically says "Remember, I'm a complete idiot. Don't forget this. Not for a second." in this article. And pretty much every single one he writes.

That being said I still don't agree with most of the stuff he writes, but I know its supposed to be for entertainment.

the one thing he is right on the money on is the need for outside shooting. However, I don't agree that wade or bibby is the best option available at point, but that's because I think Rafer Alston is. Actually we should just send the And 1 crew out to Greece and just see what happens. Other countries may lose all respect for us, but ratings will be up and it would at least be entertaining.

Sorry, I missed the joke. My bad.

swoop
08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
I agree about steve kerr.:cheers: