PDA

View Full Version : So our Point Guard is who and comes from where?

dustinpettit
06-25-2010, 12:01 AM
So, now that the draft is over and we did NOT acquire any type of point guard with a pick or trade, who does LB make a move for, where does he come from, and how?

Day-V
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Stevenson could do it.

I mean, I'd rather get a veteran and I'm sure we'll do that. But hey, why not give the kid a shot.

CooperManning
Even if we had of picked Torrance at #40 or #57, our PG problem would not be solved. Since we're now stocked with wings, I'd guess Rush and expiring could be used for a PG, but I have no idea.

DGPR
He definitely doesn't come from Minnesota. Other than that I don't really know, maybe Monta Ellis??

Kraut N Beer
06-25-2010, 12:05 AM
It looks like it might be another one year rental.

avoidingtheclowns
06-25-2010, 12:05 AM
One of the best shooters in the league. Chris Duhon...

tadscout
06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Last time I checked the off season just started... and we still have plenty of expirings and a young wing in Rush that is more expendable now... still plenty of time to get a trade done.

This draft makes me think the N.O. trade has a much better chance now... (Murph and Rush...)

AlexAustin
06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Memphis

tadscout
06-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Even if we had of picked Torrance at #40 or #57, our PG problem would not be solved. Since we're now stocked with wings, I'd guess Rush and expiring could be used for a PG, but I have no idea.

We can still get Torrence... hes was never selected...

BoomBaby3105
:dance:I think a sign and trade with the Bobcats for Raymond Felton. This trade was close a few times last year. I see it getting done this summer. ANYTHING BUT TJ FORD!!

DGPR
I actually think that the DJ Augustin trade will be re-visited since B Rush is now more expendable.

pacerjones20
i don't get why some people act like this is the only day during the off season that you can make moves...IMO this is only the start of the pacers major off season moves.....just need to have some patience....we will get our pg

eldubious
06-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Pacers will go after Jordan Farmar in free agency.

ChristianDudley
06-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Collison from New Orleans? Maybe Jordan Farmar via free agency?? If not Collison, then I'm not sure where our future star PG is coming from unless it is going to be Felton in a sign and trade involving Ford.

ChristianDudley
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
I say Farmar as I read he is looking to move away from the Lakers now after this 2nd championship for bigger money and I can just see him with us for some reason. I don't want him, though lol. I would MUCH rather have Felton than Augustin, I might add.

Hoop
06-25-2010, 12:10 AM
I heard Tinsley's available.....:brick:

ESutt7
06-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Iverson!

graphic-er
06-25-2010, 12:15 AM
It has to be Collison. Or go get Tony Parker? I mean come on this is ridiculous. Why would Indiana want Duhon? Farmar who couldn't beat out old man Derrick Fisher?

Felton is not the answer, he has hit his ceiling.

avoidingtheclowns
06-25-2010, 12:17 AM
It has to be Collison. Or go get Tony Parker? I mean come on this is ridiculous. Why would Indiana want Duhon? Farmar who couldn't beat out old man Derrick Fisher?

Felton is not the answer, he has hit his ceiling.

Duhon was a joke... I'd hoped calling him one of the best shooters in the league would be a clue.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2010, 12:18 AM
I say Farmar as I read he is looking to move away from the Lakers now after this 2nd championship for bigger money and I can just see him with us for some reason. I don't want him, though lol. I would MUCH rather have Felton than Augustin, I might add.

The Pacers aren't going to pay big dollars to Farmar or any other FA.

Ozwalt72
06-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Well, assuming we sign both our second round picks, we have a full roster. We did pay money to move from 57 to 51, so you'd like to think that that player will make the team.

We could still do any number of deals...and free agency perhaps if we found a team with cap and nothing to spend it on to dump one of our expirings on. I doubt the second, but the first....something will happen.

And even if it doesn't, cap room and a roster full of potential doesn't look bad going into next year's draft. Not bad at all.

MyFavMartin
Bring Watson back.

R3B0W
Iverson!

Yes.

vnzla81
06-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Lance?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2Ucj7DQaAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2Ucj7DQaAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqCqpEDA6wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqCqpEDA6wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Trophy
06-25-2010, 12:23 AM
I think we'll pull off a deal with Charlotte and we get Felton (S&T).

ChristianDudley
06-25-2010, 12:30 AM
The Pacers aren't going to pay big dollars to Farmar or any other FA.

I don't mean THAT big of a deal....because if I am remembering correctly, Farmar is still on his rookie contract (or I guess WAS on his rookie contract).

graphic-er
06-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Lance?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2Ucj7DQaAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2Ucj7DQaAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqCqpEDA6wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqCqpEDA6wc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nothing in those videos says he could play the PG. Infact in his AAU video at the bottom, he ignored an easy pass for a wide open 3pter.

graphic-er
06-25-2010, 12:36 AM

I hope this is our last resort, becaseu Felton is just not a very dynamic player, we won't be going anywhere soon with him at the helm.

pwee31
06-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Felton I think is a possibility. I think Conley is a possibility in Memphis. I actually think Hinrich or Arenas could happen with the Wiz. I could see Ridnour being an option. Andre Miller being an option. Jack or Calderon being available. Collison may still be an option if we take on Okafor.

imawhat
06-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow. Lance appears to be a pretty good ballhandler with decent vision. I wonder if we'd give him a shot at PG.

Sookie
06-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Felton I think is a possibility. I think Conley is a possibility in Memphis. I actually think Hinrich or Arenas could happen with the Wiz. I could see Ridnour being an option. Andre Miller being an option. Jack or Calderon being available. Collison may still be an option if we take on Okafor.

Ew..ew....ew...ew...ew.....ew...

Couldn't we have just taken the OKC deal..:laugh:

Brad8888
06-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Our pg is exactly who we should have expected it to be, TJ. If he gets even slightly better from the arc (30% or so), O'B will play him 30+ minutes because he does everything else O'B wants his pg to do, and it will be tough to find any pgs worth having who won't be very costly, such as the Danny for Devin Harris rumor from earlier.

The issue is if we will overpay for Watson or not. My guess is that we would be willing to pay him about Dahntay money (3 or 3.5 million) for this year as a stopgap measure in case TJ can't get his 3's to drop, and we might even consider having Dunleavy bring the ball up sometimes if he is healthy.

Defense doesn't matter to O'B, so I am not factoring that in.

Really?
06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Maybe we can convince Jay Williams to give it one more go in the NBA, lol Go Duke....

Swish
06-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, assuming we sign both our second round picks, we have a full roster. We did pay money to move from 57 to 51, so you'd like to think that that player will make the team.

Ever hear of this guy:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7553/james2bwhite.jpg

Ozwalt72
06-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Ever hear of this guy:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7553/james2bwhite.jpg

Does this have anything to do with what I said?

Seriously, who cares about James White?

Swish
06-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Apparently you haven't. Bird gave up a bit to get White and then he was cut in training camp. Meaning Magnum is no sure thing just because we traded for him.

Trophy
06-25-2010, 01:39 AM
I hope this is our last resort, becaseu Felton is just not a very dynamic player, we won't be going anywhere soon with him at the helm.

I'm hoping it is too and I'm hoping we can acquire Darren Collison and Emeka Okafor for some expiring contracts.

ksuttonjr76
06-25-2010, 01:44 AM
I don't believe that Raymond Felton is our answer....

will567
06-25-2010, 01:48 AM
We will get a vet FA like we did last year. I see nothing big happening this summer and we see almost the same team here in the fall.

Trophy
06-25-2010, 01:50 AM
We will get a vet FA like we did last year. I see nothing big happening this summer and we see almost the same team here in the fall.

I wouldn't mind signing Steve Blake.

CableKC
06-25-2010, 01:51 AM
I think he's the most realistic answer that we can get without giving up anything of significance.

The reality is that there isn't that many Starting PG options that we have out there that we can acquire in the next couple of seasons that wouldn't gut our roster.

Peck
06-25-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm hoping it is too and I'm hoping we can acquire Darren Collison and Emeka Okafor for some expiring contracts.

You know after I got home from the draft and read Chris Paul's statement about now being open to a trade if the team is not interested in winning I am now setting my sights a little higher than Collison and Okafor.

I know it would be a dang near impossible thing to do but depending on how bad Shin wants to shed salary we are one of the few teams left out there who can give him the cap relief for next year he is looking for along with a couple of young players.

I know this would take our long term goal of shedding salary but IMO this trade would, along with the addition of our current young players immediately turn our franchise around and in fact I think would make us a playoff team if not a deep playoff team right away.

Indiana Trades

Troy Murphy
T.J. Ford
Brandon Rush
1st round pick
2nd round pick

to New Orleans for

Chris Paul
Omeka Okafor

Yes, yes I know there is no way in hell a sane person would take that trade but this is a team that seems hell bent on shedding salary. Also if we had to throw in another player Hans could be added if need be. I even would very hesitantly add Hibbert if they insisted.

They may feel they have a chance to move Paul because of Collison and while there are a lot of teams that can give them better players back very few can probably give them as many expirings as we can.

Yea, I need to just go to bed because this is pure fantasy on my part.

joew8302
06-25-2010, 01:57 AM

Agreed. If Raymond Felton is the answer I am afraid to ask what the question is.

Barring the trade of Danny, George, or Hibbert it is becoming clear we will not find our long term solution at pg. We will have to go the route of a Jarret Jack, Earl Watson, or Anthony Johnson type as a temporary stop-gap solution.

Swish
06-25-2010, 02:12 AM
There's no reason to give away the best players on our team if no good/great PGs are available just for the sake of telling the fan base we did something. If trading Ford now for Felton means we miss out on trading Ford later for someone much better, who is ok with that? Damn microwave generation, wanting their instant gratification. Patience!

quinnthology
06-25-2010, 02:48 AM
I have heckled CP to the point of no return in Indy. He is never coming to play for this team. Last game ended with him vehemently screaming at me, mouthpiece in hand, looking like he was either going to charge the stands or cry, or both. Strangely enough it ended with me being warned by the usher despite saying nothing profane.

That being said, sign Sherron Collins and give the kid a shot? Ditch Reid. Who knows, Collins might end up being a good version of AJ Price. After that trade for Tony and do our best to convince him that this is a team with potential and to re-sign. If Collison's still available I would shop for him in a package, but whatever we do we can't take on too much cap. While I don't think it's possible to pull anyone too good next year, I think a player like Jamal Crawford could wander our way next offseason if we have a promising core of Danny +.

tadscout
06-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Ditch Reid.

We already did... got Magnum Rolle for him.

joew8302
06-25-2010, 02:56 AM
There's no reason to give away the best players on our team if no good/great PGs are available just for the sake of telling the fan base we did something. If trading Ford now for Felton means we miss out on trading Ford later for someone much better, who is ok with that? Damn microwave generation, wanting their instant gratification. Patience!

In all fairness we have been "patiently" trying to find a pg ever since Mark Jackson. I can't blame fans who are screaming for some type of competent pg.

tadscout
06-25-2010, 02:56 AM
Apparently you haven't. Bird gave up a bit to get White and then he was cut in training camp. Meaning Magnum is no sure thing just because we traded for him.

If you listen to the workout video, apparently Bird gave Rolle one of the longest interviews/ was quite interested in him when we had him in.

Hillman's 'Fro'
06-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Kyrie Irving ? Tank, tank, tank !

Oops, sorry...

pizza guy
06-25-2010, 07:51 AM
You know after I got home from the draft and read Chris Paul's statement about now being open to a trade if the team is not interested in winning I am now setting my sights a little higher than Collison and Okafor.

I know it would be a dang near impossible thing to do but depending on how bad Shin wants to shed salary we are one of the few teams left out there who can give him the cap relief for next year he is looking for along with a couple of young players.

I know this would take our long term goal of shedding salary but IMO this trade would, along with the addition of our current young players immediately turn our franchise around and in fact I think would make us a playoff team if not a deep playoff team right away.

Indiana Trades

Troy Murphy
T.J. Ford
Brandon Rush
1st round pick
2nd round pick

to New Orleans for

Chris Paul
Omeka Okafor

Yes, yes I know there is no way in hell a sane person would take that trade but this is a team that seems hell bent on shedding salary. Also if we had to throw in another player Hans could be added if need be. I even would very hesitantly add Hibbert if they insisted.

They may feel they have a chance to move Paul because of Collison and while there are a lot of teams that can give them better players back very few can probably give them as many expirings as we can.

Yea, I need to just go to bed because this is pure fantasy on my part.

Yes, pure fantasy.

But that would be awesome! :happydanc

--pizza

Justin Tyme
06-25-2010, 08:19 AM

We could still do any number of deals...and free agency perhaps if we found a team with cap and nothing to spend it on to dump one of our expirings on. I doubt the second, but the first....something will happen.

And even if it doesn't, cap room and a roster full of potential doesn't look bad going into next year's draft. Not bad at all.

There was a swap of picks and monetary considerations for Rolle. Just keep in mind James White as a 2nd round pick rec'd a 2 year "guaranteed" contract, and then was cut b4 the season started.

Both Price and McBob contracts for this season aren't totally guaranteed.

woowoo
06-25-2010, 08:39 AM
If I were Scheyer, Collins, and Torrence I would be begging the Pacers for a tryout on the summer league team...

Anthem
06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
If I were Scheyer, Collins, and Torrence I would be begging the Pacers for a tryout on the summer league team...
Why? The P's have 15 under contract already. They'd be better off trying to join Miami.

Pacersalltheway10
06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
It said today in the Indy Star that the Pacers had talks with the thunder and New Orleans.

tadscout
06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Why? The P's have 15 under contract already. They'd be better off trying to join Miami.

4 of those 15 aren't guaranteed yet (2 don't really have contracts yet)... and we can still do trades in the summer that increase (having to cut a non guaranteed) or decrease (well lookie there a roster spot for Mr. Summer League dude) our roster...

So just saying... off season has just started, our roster is far from guaranteed from being set...

Ozwalt72
06-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Look, James White was more athlete than a basketball player. I really, really can't bring myself to care about his inability to make a more talented team. But since its so soon after teh draft, it's perfectly acceptable to be a tiny bit optimistic. I don't really expect both our second round picks to make it, but it'd be nice if they proved they were capable.

Anthem
06-25-2010, 09:19 AM
4 of those 15 aren't guaranteed yet (2 don't really have contracts yet)... and we can still do trades in the summer that increase (having to cut a non guaranteed) or decrease (well lookie there a roster spot for Mr. Summer League dude) our roster...

So just saying... off season has just started, our roster is far from guaranteed from being set...
Sure, but Miami's still better odds. And scenery.

I'm just saying if I'm an undrafted free agent, Indy's not the top of my list.

tadscout
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Sure, but Miami's still better odds. And scenery.

I'm just saying if I'm an undrafted free agent, Indy's not the top of my list.

Ok true... :buddies:

Hicks
06-26-2010, 01:12 AM

That's what I'm thinking.

Jose Slaughter
06-26-2010, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't mind signing Steve Blake.

I wanted to mention Blake as well, there are several reasons that he would be at the top of this list.

1. He's a veteran, free agent point guard. Bird has mentioned he is looking to add some vets to the team.

2. Blake played for the Clippers to end last season. He played behind Baron Davis & the Clips also have Mardy Collins & Bobby Brown as cheap backups. They also aquired Bledsoe during the draft. Their need to retain Blake just vanished.

3. Blake is an excellent shooter. 39.3.% for his career on 3's. Not that I want my point launching 3's but it's better than him not having that ability.

So, Blake is unrestricted & most likely will not return to the Clippers, he's a vet that could come in & start for us & has the ability to hit from outside. His assist to turnovers numbers are solid as well. In his 29 games with the Clippers he averages 6.1 assist & 2.17 turnovers. Going to a new team in mid-season.... nice numbers.

Blake should be the guy.

DrFife
06-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Not that I'm strongly advocating this, but ... Mike Conley ($4.9M next season) remains another possibility, especially given the Griz's selection of Vasquez. The doubters about his star quality seem to be growing, but if neither Blake nor Felton nor any other of the young PGs is our long-term solution, why not just focus on a short-term improvement over Ford? And a local boy (to appease the Hayward supporters) at that!

Infinite MAN_force
06-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Honestly, if the best we can do is Felton, I would much rather look into aquiring Jarret Jack back, and he could probably be had fairly cheaply.

graphic-er
06-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I like Blake, as a stop gap, he might be able to get us to the playoffs.

Sparhawk
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I was also going to mention Blake.

I think we also match up very well with the Timberwolves. They have SF and PG galore. Ramon Sessions would be a nice pickup for Rush and Solo. The Wolves really only have Corey Bewer at SG. Sessions is my ideal choice if Darren Collison can't be had.

This is kinda out there, but what about Baron Davis? I know he has 3 years left, but he can still play at a high level. I don't think we match up well with the Clippers so a 3rd team would have to be involved.

Tom White
06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
:dance:I think a sign and trade with the Bobcats for Raymond Felton. This trade was close a few times last year. I see it getting done this summer. ANYTHING BUT TJ FORD!!

If I recall, the trade was to be for Augustin, wasn't it? Out of the two, I'd prefer Felton. Actually, I'd prefer someone other than either of those two.

I wonder what Washington's plans are for Hinnrich?

Sparhawk
06-26-2010, 11:39 AM
If I recall, the trade was to be for Augustin, wasn't it? Out of the two, I'd prefer Felton. Actually, I'd prefer someone other than either of those two.

I wonder what Washington's plans are for Hinnrich?

I agree. Please no Felton or Augustine. Add Ty Lawson to that list too.

Tom White
06-26-2010, 11:39 AM
i don't get why some people act like this is the only day during the off season that you can make moves...IMO this is only the start of the pacers major off season moves.....just need to have some patience....we will get our pg

I don't see anyone saying that it must be done today, or never. It just gives us something to talk about. Speculation can be fun. According to some people, so can counting.

Tom White
06-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I have heckled CP to the point of no return in Indy. He is never coming to play for this team. Last game ended with him vehemently screaming at me, mouthpiece in hand, looking like he was either going to charge the stands or cry, or both. Strangely enough it ended with me being warned by the usher despite saying nothing profane.

You're proud of that? Congrats on possibly being the first person barred from the fieldhouse. If you were yelling at him enough to get that reaction, why would you think it odd for security to tell you to cool it? You don't have to be profane to be a pain. Lord, that sounds like a bumper sticker.

Ditch Reid

You're a bit late with that. He was traded for Rolle

pacers74
06-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Here are the veteran points guards that we might be able that I would want:

1. Hinrich - I wanted him 2 or 3 years ago. I would still take, but I still would want a young PG for the future sometime.
2. Jarret Jack - He was the leader of the team and tried to hold us together. I think we have better pieces now and he could flurish.
3. Blake - Not the best stats, but he can play.
4. Andre Miller - If we have to get a veteran PG, I would okay with him. Again, I wanted him 5 or 6 years ago.

Young point guards:

1. Collison - DUH
2. Hill - Could flurish here, hometown kid.
3. Flynn - It would be nice to seem him play not in the triangle.
4. Bayless - Probably not available, but he can flat out play.
5. Sessions - He got lost somewhere in Minnesota. He can get a fresh start here.
6. Lawson - Denver says they aren't trading him. He still has potential to be great.
7. Maynor - I wouldn't give up too much for him, but he might be able to start.

Justin Tyme
06-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I wanted to mention Blake as well, there are several reasons that he would be at the top of this list.

1. He's a veteran, free agent point guard. Bird has mentioned he is looking to add some vets to the team.

2. Blake played for the Clippers to end last season. He played behind Baron Davis & the Clips also have Mardy Collins & Bobby Brown as cheap backups. They also aquired Bledsoe during the draft. Their need to retain Blake just vanished.

3. Blake is an excellent shooter. 39.3.% for his career on 3's. Not that I want my point launching 3's but it's better than him not having that ability.

So, Blake is unrestricted & most likely will not return to the Clippers, he's a vet that could come in & start for us & has the ability to hit from outside. His assist to turnovers numbers are solid as well. In his 29 games with the Clippers he averages 6.1 assist & 2.17 turnovers. Going to a new team in mid-season.... nice numbers.

Blake should be the guy.

I have always been a Steve Blake fan. The reason I don't push for him is that it is my understanding that the Pacers will not spend money to sign any FA. I don't know if a S&T could be worked out with the Clippers, but I'd sure be on the phone trying. Blake made a hair less than 5 mil last year.

Don't forget Willie Warren drafted at #54 too.