PDA

View Full Version : Knicks/Bulls trade

Hicks
08-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeesh. Seems like a steal for NY to me. I view it as Norris for Crawford and Mutumbo for Williams. The first part is the big steal, and Mutumbo isn't that good anymore.

That's gonna be weird seeing Deke in a Bulls uniform.

indygeezer
08-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, here come the Zeke lovers...

Lord Helmet
08-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Yea that is a major steal for the Knicks.

sweabs
08-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Hell of a trade for the Knicks.

MSA2CF
08-03-2004, 11:07 PM
FanTASTIC trade for the Bulls!

As for the Knicks, eh...:shrug:

Ultimate Frisbee
08-03-2004, 11:08 PM
I think it'll be better in the longrun for the Bulls... they lose the Crawford distraction/disaster and Jerome William's contract...

I'm not convinced of Crawford's ability or that he will do any better in New York then in Chicago.

On the other hand, New York could be really good next year if they pull everything together. especially if they get Dampier.

NewType
08-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Starbury, Crawford, Houston, and Penny, not too bad of a backcourt tandem, if you don't play defense:o

Who's going to come off the bench though? Penny has a reserved seat on the bench. But who else? Would Houston's ego allow him to do so?

Lord Helmet
08-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I think the Damp to Knicks deal has already been killed.

SoupIsGood
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I would hate to be a Knicks fan, or Zeke for that matter. Their cap situation is out of control. They're over the cap in bad contracts alone. :o although, their line up isn't looking bad, if they land damp

marbury/crawford/thomas/whoever/dampier

Lord Helmet
08-03-2004, 11:49 PM
If the Knicks get Damp I bet they could atleast make it to the second round.

kerosene
08-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Crawford has not yet approved the deal, not enough money I guess:

General managers Isiah Thomas and John Paxson have agreed in principle to a six-player trade that would send Bulls Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski, league sources said.

There's one small problem: Crawford's camp has rejected the trade - for now.

The streamlined version of the trade talks, which have lasted for five weeks and featured countless combinations, calls for Crawford to sign a seven-year, $55 million deal.

In previously discussed scenarios, Crawford stood to make that amount in six years and possibly $70 million in seven years. The new figures have given Crawford's camp pause, sources said.

Since Crawford is a restricted free agent and the Bulls own his rights, Paxson has never budged from his stance that major financial relief was the only path to a deal.

That Thomas has agreed in principle to send four expiring contacts to the Bulls is consistent with Paxson's philosophy. It also will save the Bulls $15 million in cash and $18 million in salary-cap space over the next four seasons.

Crawford would be a base-year compensation player under the structure of the proposed deal, which is complicating matters. A league source said Thomas rejected a proposal to sign an unwanted free agent and include him in the deal as salary-cap ballast so that Crawford's salary could go higher.

There is still guarded optimism on all sides that a deal will get done. The only concern is that Thomas will be put off by Crawford's camp rejecting a nearly done deal.

If the trade collapses, it's almost certain Crawford will play next season for the Bulls at a qualifying offer of $3.5 million and then become an unrestricted free agent.

The Bulls' pitch to re-sign Crawford for six years at $39 million is no longer an option.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9312536.htm?1c

Kegboy
08-04-2004, 03:43 AM
Wow, I'd tell Crawford to go ***** himself.

As for Chicago, they'd just be better off letting Crawford go for nothing. In every trade scenario, they're essentially just trading one bad contract for another.

I don't understand the lure of trading for ending contracts in a S&T. If you don't acquire them, you save money now, as opposed to next year. I guess they could be moved to other teams, but that's not a sure thing.

Anyway, to sum up, I don't think Paxson's doing any better than Krause. The only good thing he's done is hire Skiles, but a coach isn't worth a damn if you don't give him talent to work with.

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Wow, I'd tell Crawford to go ***** himself.

Yup - after first passing that message along to the NY media. I'm getting sick of reading the Post. Maybe add Aaron Gopodwin to the mix.

Be pretty interesting if we get him and Dampier goes the 1-year MLE route. The MLE's about what he's worth anyway - I'd even sign him for four years at that. Not holding my breath though.