PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Vs. Italy

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 02:28 PM
The score:

Italy 20

USA 13

28 seconds left in the first quarter. I just turned it to ESPN.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Italy up 23-14 at the break.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Italy up 28 to 20 with 5:54 left in the 2nd qtr. US has 8 turnovers and look sloppy after the long flight to Europe.

Kstat
08-03-2004, 02:39 PM
it wouldnt hurt is we got a call every 10 minutes.....we keep getting bumped at the rim, and nobody's calling it.

Also the traveling calls are ridiculous....the euros are getting 3, sometimes even four steps at the rim, and we're getting called for anything possible.

Kstat
08-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Carmello is the only guy out there not afriad to shoot the three......he marion and wade have been the only guys that showed up today.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 02:47 PM
I agree there. That last foul call when the guy split the double team and fell down was a joke. Marion needed to catch Iverson's pass earlier and put it down though.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Italy up 41 to 35 at the half. The defense has been more Dallas-like than Detroit. Iverson trying to dunk at the end of the half and putting it in after the horn pretty much sums it up.

Kstat
08-03-2004, 03:00 PM
well, the euro clock doesnt use tenths of a second, so it gets confusing.

USA sliced a 15-point lead down to 6 at the half, we're starting to look interested.

Most of our problems are unfamiliarity. A LOT of dropped passes, that wont last long.

BTW, anyone who complains about NBA refs need to look at the overseas refs, who arent biased as much as they are just really dumb. The NBA's refs look like world-beaters now....

ANd damn, that Italian guard dropped 17 on us in the second QUARTER. someone get a hand in that guy's face......

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 03:06 PM
I do hope we have another jump shooter beside Melo or we may never see anything other than a zone. Not missing 7 free throws would help also.

I think the Italians will run out of juice in the seocnd half, like Puerto rico did. I sure hope the guys learn from this game and don't play this way against the big guys. The game against Germany tomorrow should be interesting.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 03:10 PM
The call on the jump ball just clarified your point.:banghead:

Kstat
08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Now we're getting called for traveling when we take ONE step......:rolleyes:

Kstat
08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Im starting to miss DIck Bavetta.........:laugh:

MagicRat
08-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Im starting to miss DIck Bavetta.........:laugh:

This might help....

:dancingbavetta:

Fool
08-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Is Itally even allowed to take 2 points?

Hoop
08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Getting our butts kicked right now, down 8 at the start of the 4th. :o

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Do we have anyone on this team that can initiate offense when Duncan isn't in the game? Iverson looks mediocre as a point guard. I hope they have more motion/penitrate and dish stuff than they have shown thus far.

Kstat
08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
its the "pure" international game, where defense rebounding and quickness mean nothing, and all you have to do is shoot the three.

zxc
08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Is Itally even allowed to take 2 points?

Doesn't seem like it. How many threes have they hit? Eesh. Be nice if USA had someone on their team who could shoot outside though. Kind of like watching the pacers here.

Oh, and that paul pierce commercial every single commercial break is becoming rather annoying.

Well this one is looking over.. least it is only exhibition I guess. Better to be humbled now then when it counts =\

Kstat
08-03-2004, 03:38 PM
eh, I give up, after the 10th traveling call on the US to 0 for the italians, who might as well pay bus fare every time they put the ball on the court.THis is stupid.

We probably deserved to lose, but we also wouldn't have if this game was being called fairly.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Down by 13 with Italy going to the line. Another phantom travel called, but it is kind of neat seeing the NBA guys getting called for stuff they never would in an NBA game. Maybe they will listen to their coaches a little more before Germany tomorrow.

Kstat
08-03-2004, 03:44 PM
It'd feel better if we were getting by a team playing technically sound basketball, but quite honestly, Italy should have been called for 15-20 traveling calls in this game and they have NONE. Thats my issue.

Larry Brown should be cringing right now. He's getting beat by a team that does nothign EXCEPT shoot three-pointers.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I agree. I turned it off when Lebron's dunk and 1 turned into a travel call. We still need some jump shooters to come through.

Unclebuck
08-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I am always amazed at how many complain about the NBA officials. They are not perfect, but they are the best basketball officials on the planet. If you don't believe me watch 10 minutes of international basketball or the college game

Lord Helmet
08-03-2004, 05:09 PM
That game made me sick.The refs were horrible and U.S.A.'s performance was horrible also.Who was that guy hiting all those 3's for Italy?

SycamoreKen
08-03-2004, 05:17 PM
I will be disappointed if we don't blow Germany out tomorrow.

Kegboy
08-03-2004, 05:22 PM
My feelings on this were summed up when Italy went back up by double digits in the 4th. I said, "Larry now hopes they lose instead of coming back."

Why? Cause these guys needed a wake-up call. What, Jefferson's the only guy who was in Indy two-years ago. He's the only one who knows what losing these games is like. Now the players can realize how difficult the Olympics will really be, and buckle down. In fact, I'd say the Indy team would have been better served losing one of their exhibitions, too, instead of waiting for things to unravel after the opening rounds of the WC.

clownskull
08-03-2004, 05:57 PM
well, i will say this. team usa was going to lose the game and it was not because of the refs. italy smoked them pure and simple. italy got back into doublea digit lead because they were playing better ball. how many awful passes or missed foul shots on their part? -not many for them. team usa looked like dogs#@t!!!.
if they play this flat again- they WILL get beat again.
italy never got rattled and ran their offense very well with some top notch ball movement. team usa had no movement to speak of. they looked like a bunch of guys who are not familiar with each other. they are going to have to look much better by wed. to have a chance.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Maybe the NBA just sucks...

canyoufeelit
08-03-2004, 06:06 PM
the only player I'm not blaming for today's loss is Tim Duncan. Everybody else gets a :mad: face from me, especially Allen "I"verson

Mr. Pink
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
I think I'm going to blame this loss on Bill Walton.

ROCislandWarrior
08-03-2004, 06:13 PM
I am going to blame this loss on the fact that what the USA puts out there is not a "team"...just a bunch of good players trying to look like a team. Only time can change that.

JOneal7
08-03-2004, 07:11 PM
yeah okafor blows,lol. WOW! USA took a loss...now what? Tmac,Carter,Kobe,Jermaine where arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeee youuuuuuuuu?

Hicks
08-03-2004, 07:21 PM
I think we'd be OK if beginning next summer, we assemble a team committed to playing every summer up to and including the 2008 Olympics, and schedule an appropriate # of practices each summer so that by the 2008 games, they have some semblence of chemistry.

If someone gets hurt, you sub him with another NBA player, but besides that make it so if they commit, they commit for 4 years so the team and staff stay together and develop chemistry and a team identity.

indygeezer
08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Remembering Chris Webber's comment earlier in the week:
"It's time to stop playing soft and (like) suburban kids. That's what we play like. We play like we're from the suburbs and the best basketball is played in the city. Everybody knows that."

Thinking back to the World Games and now this debacle, perhaps they should try more of the suburban gamehe detests so much. His favored city game sure doesn't seem to be working.

canyoufeelit
08-04-2004, 12:57 AM
:laugh:

SoupIsGood
08-04-2004, 01:41 AM
the three point line is only like 20 feet out, you would think they could make more of them.

I still don't see how USA basketball goes into this will no true outside shooter at all. You need at least one. Someone call up Stevie Kerr.

ROCislandWarrior
08-04-2004, 01:41 AM
"It's time to stop playing soft and (like) suburban kids. That's what we play like. We play like we're from the suburbs and the best basketball is played in the city. Everybody knows that."

Thinking back to the World Games and now this debacle, perhaps they should try more of the suburban gamehe detests so much. His favored city game sure doesn't seem to be working.

Better yet, we should try more of a rural game.:p

Not the City

Not even the Suburbs

The country, the country farmland is where its at

indygeezer
08-04-2004, 07:29 AM

Not the City

Not even the Suburbs

I can live with that.

Fool
08-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Who puts these teams together? I know the coach has something to do with it but who else? If you look at who he chose in Philly Larry Brown is a better coach then a GM, so I hope his opinion isn't the one with the most weight.

MagicRat
08-04-2004, 09:32 AM

Not the City

Not even the Suburbs

"I don't know if it'll make any change, but I figure it's time for me to start playing ball....."
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/jimmy.jpg

FireTheCoach
08-04-2004, 10:12 AM
The "city ball" that CWebbs talking about is exactly why Team USA has been losing in world competition these last few years.

CWebb and those types believe their own hype WAAAYY too much... imhop.

Lord Helmet
08-04-2004, 11:49 AM
What time is the game today?

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Game time is 2 pm eastern.

And you've GOT to read The Sports Guy's Olympic Team article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040804

indygeezer
08-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Game time is 2 pm eastern.

And you've GOT to read The Sports Guy's Olympic Team article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040804

Great article...Is it possible to fire the selection committee???

Bball
08-04-2004, 01:06 PM

The defeat to Italy is the biggest upset in the history of basketball!

:p

-Bball

indygeezer
08-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Where's the priiiiide? Where's the drive, the heart? Where's the Cheeze-Whiz? Where's Luke???

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2004, 01:32 PM

The defeat to Italy is the biggest upset in the history of basketball!

:p

-Bball

Bunk. That would be when JT and I beat Willis Jordan and Luther somebody at the Albany City 2-on-2 semifinals a year or two (or 20) ago.

Let's not talk about the finals, shall we ...