PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Harrison caught with Guns again

vapacersfan
06-17-2010, 07:51 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/m...traffic-incid/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/marvin-harrison-surrenders-gun-to-police-following-traffic-incid/)

Marvin Harrison Surrenders Gun to Police Following Traffic Incident

A 9mm handgun was confiscated from the SUV of former Indianapolis Colts (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/team/indianapolis-colts) wide receiver Marvin Harrison Wednesday, after he was stopped for driving the wrong way on a one-way street in North Philadelphia.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, Harrison, who has not played in the NFL (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/) since the 2008 season, was stopped by police Wednesday afternoon in North Philadelphia, and produced a permit for a gun that is registered at his home in suburban Philadelphia.

Harrison, a Philadelphia native, did not tell police about the 9mm gun that was in the Cadillac Escalade, though, which he is required to do by law. The gun, according to the Daily News, is registered to another man, who lives in the city.

Harrison, who was not charged with a crime, was allowed to leave. However, according to the Daily News, police asked Harrison to come in for additional questioning, but he refused the request, which he is permitted to do under the law.

The Daily News reported that police confiscated the 9mm and may test it to determine if it can be connected to two previous shootings that could be linked to Harrison.

In April of 2008, a local man was shot in the hand after he and Harrison fought near Harrison's garage. The man maintained that Harrison shot him. Another Philadelphia man claimed that he had been struck by an errant shot he also said was fired by Harrison, who was never charged in either incident, though ballistics tests proved that several shots had been fired that day from a gun Harrison owned. Lynne Abraham, then the city's district attorney, declined to file charges against Harrison at the time, because there were numerous conflicting stories.

Three months later, the second man, Dwight Dixon, was shot two blocks from a Philadelphia bar that Harrison owns. Before his death two months later, Dixon told police he thought Harrison was involved. Earlier this year, Abraham's successor, Seth Williams (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/players/seth-williams/24559), said he considered Harrison to be a "person of interest" in Dixon's murder.

Lord Helmet
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Surprise?

Great player; glad he's off the team.

idioteque
06-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Good job cutting him Polian.

Marvin was great as a player but by many accounts seems to be a terrible human being.

Lord Helmet
06-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Low-key criminal?

Bball
06-17-2010, 11:36 PM
There's a lot of dots to connect but they do seem to line up.

You'd hope Marvin wouldn't be dumb enough to be carrying a gun involved in any crime, much less a murder... and you'd hope even if Marvin was involved in any seedy dealings he'd have the good sense not to get his own hands dirty.

But you never know...

SoupIsGood
06-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I almost expect to see Marvin in jail at some point. . .

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Sigh...can't really defend him anymore.

Sollozzo
06-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Shocking.

Sollozzo
06-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Mike Florio was on WIBC talking about it yesterday.

http://www.1070thefan.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1242473

Stryder
06-18-2010, 07:28 AM
No one said athletes are/were smart...

What is this guy's deal? It's like Little Man's syndrome...

Bball
06-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Police widen case on Harrison

By Mark J. Miller
Former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison(notes) had a 9mm handgun seized from his vehicle for ballistic tests on Wednesday to see if it was the gun from an April 2008 shooting that Harrison was purportedly involved in.

Now ProFootballTalk is reporting that Howard Eskin of 610 WIP sports radio in Philadelphia tells them that the police "actually plan to search more broadly for potential matches, comparing the gun to any and all shootings to which Harrison possibly could be connected."

Eskin tells the site that the police will "pursue aggressively" all possible connections between Harrison and unsolved shootings in the Philadelphia area.

"I'm told police thought they had him before," Eskin said. "Now police will take this one to the wall."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Police-widen-case-on-Harrison?urn=nfl,249458

Sollozzo
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Looks like the walls could be closing in on ole Marv.

What a rapid downfall this guy has had. 3 years ago, he was coming off of 8 straight pro bowls and a Super Bowl victory. He was the consummate pro's pro. Now he's out of the league and has been for a year, was accused of shooting someone two years ago, and now has police investigating him yet again.

Brad8888
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Maybe Marvin always sat on the bench completely by himself away from other players for a reason -- either he was not likeable, or players didn't want to be associated with him for any reason.

Since86
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Unless they can put the gun in Marvin's hand, at the time of the shooting, then there's nothing "new" here.

Even if the gun comes back as the one involved, it's not registered to Marvin. The prosecution would not only have to prove Marvin had that gun in his possession at the time of the shooting, but he was the one shooting it. Seeing how long it's been since it happened, I HIGHLY doubt that's going to be the case.

Bball
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
FWIW....
When the Colts drafted Marvin I watched an interview with him on local TV and he seemed like a personable, unassuming, polite young man. At his last Pro Bowl (after winning the SB) I saw an interview with him and I wondered if he was on drugs or if he had mental problems.

He seriously seemed 'not all there'.

The Lone Granger
06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Harrison has changed over the last 6-7 years. I'm hoping it's not for the worse this much. He used to be one of my favorite pro athletes, and seeing him being investigated thoroughly for murder is just awful to see. I'm really hoping nothing comes out to say that Harrison was the shooter...but I have a feeling he was involved in some way.

Sollozzo
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Police-widen-case-on-Harrison?urn=nfl,249458

I'm confused. I thought the gun in the 08 shooting was that strange Belgan gun they found in his car wash?

Bball
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Unless they can put the gun in Marvin's hand, at the time of the shooting, then there's nothing "new" here.

Even if the gun comes back as the one involved, it's not registered to Marvin. The prosecution would not only have to prove Marvin had that gun in his possession at the time of the shooting, but he was the one shooting it. Seeing how long it's been since it happened, I HIGHLY doubt that's going to be the case.

What we don't know is how much other circumstantial evidence they have against Marvin. This might be the piece they need to tie it all together... the gun in Marvin's possession.

If so, then they'll have whatever new statements he makes compared to old statements that might further implicate him.

And all that might be enough for Marvin to start considering a deal instead of taking the fall all by himself.

But that makes one huge leap of assumption- That the gun in Marvin's possession had anything to do with any crime at all, much less the murder that the police consider him a person of interest in.

And if that gun does come back with a ballistics connection to some crime(s) then I can't imagine that not netting the police a search warrant and going thru Marvin's cars, homes, businesses, etc with a fine toothed comb with a wide berth of items they would be looking for. Of course he has time to be getting rid of that stuff right now... assuming he's not being watched...

But there's always the chance Marvin isn't guilty of anything serious....

Bball
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm confused. I thought the gun in the 08 shooting was that strange Belgan gun they found in his car wash?

The guy that was a victim of the 1st shooting was later murdered and the police don't know what gun killed him. I'm not sure on dates so I don't know which shooting was in April of 08...

Since86
06-18-2010, 01:33 PM
What we don't know is how much other circumstantial evidence they have against Marvin. This might be the piece they need to tie it all together... the gun in Marvin's possession.

Like I said. They would not only have to prove that he had that particular gun, that isn't even his, in his possession at the time of the shooting, but also put the gun in his hand. They haven't had one credible source of evidence to even put a gun in his hand. This isn't going to do that either.

They have to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that he had that gun in his possession at the time of the murder. That's impossible for them to do with this evidence. All the defense would need is for the gun owner to say that he just recently let Marvin borrow it, and Marvin is off the hook.

If the gun comes back as the weapon used, the registered owner, is the one looking at legal problems. I would think.

Bball
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Like I said. They would not only have to prove that he had that particular gun, that isn't even his, in his possession at the time of the shooting, but also put the gun in his hand. They haven't had one credible source of evidence to even put a gun in his hand. This isn't going to do that either.

They have to prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that he had that gun in his possession at the time of the murder. That's impossible for them to do with this evidence. All the defense would need is for the gun owner to say that he just recently let Marvin borrow it, and Marvin is off the hook.

If the gun comes back as the weapon used, the registered owner, is the one looking at legal problems. I would think.

What you're missing in my point is if the gun does come back as 'connected' it opens a can of worms. All bets are off on who says what at that point or what other pieces are connected. You think the owner is going to claim he had possession of the gun when a crime was committed with it... especially if he did not have possession of it? And if he does will he take the big fall if he can offer up Marvin and cut a deal?

Of course credibility will play a factor but with whatever the police already do know and have in the files, plus whatever else comes out, if someone tells the truth it's likely that the pieces falling into place would help bridge any credibility gaps.

It's not a 'shadow of a doubt' standard... It's a 'beyond a reasonable doubt' standard. With all the coincidences with guns and Marvin that are piling up it's likely his benefit of the doubt card is close to being played out.

And if his interviews with police, let alone on the stand, come off like that last interview I saw with him... well... that's not going to help him.

Plus, as I said, we don't know what the police might have in their records just waiting for the right piece of evidence or someone to say something that connects the dots that just hasn't been released to the public.

Even if you can't put the gun in Marvin's hand at the time of the shooting there's still the chance you can show he had knowledge and was involved in the crime (whether he pulled the trigger or not). 'Conspiracy to commit' charges aren't necessarily a cakewalk charge for him if the police can get that kind of evidence.

All they need is someone to talk... Like the person who could go down for a gun owned by them that has been used in a crime that was in someone else's possession when found.

If Marvin and that gun are connected to a crime, it's not going to be a stretch seeing that connection made for a jury (with any kind of real investigation and prosecution). The connection will come out.

Marvin should be able to afford a quality atty but I've not seen much evidence that Marvin is the sharpest tool in the shed with some of the things we've learned over the last couple of years.

When this stuff first came out nobody could believe it... Now people are ready to believe the worst. That doesn't bode well for his 'benefit of the doubt card' chances...

But yeah... Ultimately Marvin will need connected to the crime (in some form)... But I just think the ability to do that is much easier than you are thinking ...IF there is a connection to the crime.

Since86
06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
There's no doubt in my personal mind that he had something to do with both shootings, but I just can't see much changing, even if it comes back as THE gun. (which would be incredibly stupid to keep around if that's the case.)

The fact that this has been dragging out for over a year (?) shows that the police really don't have much. The probability of solving a murder goes drastically down after 48 hours, and this is has been dragging out for a long LOOOOONG time, in comparison to 48hrs.

Trader Joe
06-18-2010, 06:12 PM
The silent but crazy type...

Hoop
06-18-2010, 07:28 PM
If the gun was involved in any crime or shooting, what kind of moron would still have it in their possession? I guess we'll find out.

Stryder
06-18-2010, 08:05 PM
There's no doubt in my personal mind that he had something to do with both shootings, but I just can't see much changing, even if it comes back as THE gun. (which would be incredibly stupid to keep around if that's the case.)

The fact that this has been dragging out for over a year (?) shows that the police really don't have much. The probability of solving a murder goes drastically down after 48 hours, and this is has been dragging out for a long LOOOOONG time, in comparison to 48hrs.

If it is a gun that is linked to a crime, Marvin will have to at least explain why he has possession of it, especially since, I believe, it is registered to another person. Most people don't carry around handguns that belong to someone else.

Bball
06-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Lawyer: Harrison Traffic Stop Routine

A traffic stop has pushed former Indianapolis Colts Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison into the national spotlight once again.

Wednesday evening, Harrison was pulled over for driving the wrong way down a one way street near 27th and Jefferson.

Sources told Fox 29’s Dave Schratwieser that this was a routine car stop.

Harrison produced his license and a permit to carry a weapon.

Reportedly, Harrison did not tell the officer he has a gun in the car. A search turned up a gun, which police are now checking against shell casings from two highly publicized prior shootings allegedly linked to Harrison. Harrison has not been charged with a crime.

Dave spoke to Fortunato Perri, Harrison’s lawyer this afternoon. He said Harrison was not involved in any criminal activity, did not receive a citation and allowed to leave the scene.

Perri said the gun is legally registered to another man and he does not anticipate any charges being filed.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Copy_of_lawyer%3A-harrison-traffic-stop-routine

Stryder
06-19-2010, 07:22 AM
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Copy_of_lawyer%3A-harrison-traffic-stop-routine

The question still remains, why did Harrison have posession of a gun that wasn't his to possess? And, why didn't he tell the police that it was in the car?

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
He was driving the wrong way down a one-way street. What grounds did the police have to search his car? Was Marvin dumb enough to have the gun in plain view?

Stryder
06-19-2010, 12:52 PM
He was driving the wrong way down a one-way street. What grounds did the police have to search his car? Was Marvin dumb enough to have the gun in plain view?

Or they asked and he said yes.

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Or they asked and he said yes.

Guess he doesn't listen to much Jay-Z. Somebody send Marvin 99 problems.

Since86
06-21-2010, 01:55 PM
If it is a gun that is linked to a crime, Marvin will have to at least explain why he has possession of it, especially since, I believe, it is registered to another person. Most people don't carry around handguns that belong to someone else.

That's not how the law works though. It's the prosectutions job to prove he had it in his possession when/if a crime was used with it. It's not their job to disprove it.

That's why I said nothing will change. They need something to put not only A gun in his possession at those times, but THAT gun, in his possession.

Stryder
06-21-2010, 02:38 PM
That's not how the law works though. It's the prosectutions job to prove he had it in his possession when/if a crime was used with it. It's not their job to disprove it.

That's why I said nothing will change. They need something to put not only A gun in his possession at those times, but THAT gun, in his possession.

I am not saying anything about the last shooting and the law. He will have to answer why he had a gun in his car that wasn't registered to him and he didn't have a permit for it. That's all.

Since86
06-21-2010, 02:47 PM
He does have a permit to carry a firearm though. You don't need seperate permits to carry seperate weapons. It covers any firearm in his possession.

He could merely state he was intending to buy it, or since they found it in the glove department, he could say he didn't know it was there and someone must have left it. I don't know if I read it here or not, but I do know I've heard that he told police he did have a permit, but didn't have a gun in the car with him. So the excuse that he didn't put it there, and didn't know it was there, would seemingly work. It might be too simple of an excuse, but again, it's not his job to prove/disprove anything.

Stryder
06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
He does have a permit to carry a firearm though. You don't need seperate permits to carry seperate weapons. It covers any firearm in his possession.

He could merely state he was intending to buy it, or since they found it in the glove department, he could say he didn't know it was there and someone must have left it. I don't know if I read it here or not, but I do know I've heard that he told police he did have a permit, but didn't have a gun in the car with him. So the excuse that he didn't put it there, and didn't know it was there, would seemingly work. It might be too simple of an excuse, but again, it's not his job to prove/disprove anything.

I don't know anything about gun laws. Does a single permit allow you to carry anyone's firearm? That's kinda strange, if you ask me.

Bball
06-22-2010, 04:02 AM
I just want to reiterate that we have no idea that this new gun is going to be connected to any crimes, much less a murder.

But if it is I disagree with Since86 that it means nothing because the police can't put it in Marvin's hand at the time of the shooting.

What will happen is the police will utilize other circumstantial evidence and create a theory of the crime that has the gun in Marvin's hand (we can tell by comments and the handling of this that they believe he is not wholly innocent). While technically you could say it's the prosecution's problem to put it in Marvin's hand and not Marvin's to prove himself innocent. If a murder that already has some tentacles connecting it to Marvin later finds Marvin with the murder weapon in his car, the connection is made. Marvin will have to prove (or convince) authorities or a jury that it's just a coincidence he has that weapon now and had no knowledge of the initial crime.

Good luck with that.

IMHO if that weapon is connected to that crime, this goes to court. And Marvin will have to not only untangle himself from the web saying he pulled the trigger, but also fighting accessory and/or conspiracy charges. And anyone else that gets pulled into this (such as the gun's real owner) will be offered deals if they testify against Marvin.

At this point Marvin's best bet is to hope that gun is clean. If not, then he made the right move not answering any questions. The police WILL create a theory of the crime that has him involved. Anything he says will be fodder to help them fill in any blanks they might have or keep them from going to the wrong road with their theory. The tighter they make the theory of the crime the better the chance they get a conviction.

Since86
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
And the best way to keep them guessing, is by not telling them anything.

People get "caught" because they start making up stories, and then when one part of their story gets proven wrong, it all goes to crap. It always frustrates me watching procedurals when the defense clams up, but it's the smartest thing to do. Marvin doesn't need to answer anything. It's his legal right to STFU, and it's the smartest thing for him to do.

I know it may sound like I'm defending him, I'm really not. If he is guilty of murder, he should be put down. I think that with all cases, and am not willing to discuss it here other than saying a statement of fact about my beliefs and not why I believe it.

But a jury won't find him guilty on circumstantial evidence alone. We are talking about a crime riddled area of the city where people grow up, and stay. Everyone knows everyone. Everyone knows everyone else's problems, and who they have problems with. Dwight Dixon, the murder victim, had many problems in that area with different people. It's not any stretch of the imagination that someone else would kill him. Not one bit. They knew/know he had run ins with more people than Marvin, and **** really hit the fan with him after his infamous run in with Marvin.

Which brings me to that point. The gun in the first shooting was determined to be a VERY unique gun. A gun type that Marvin happened to own. A gun that they found at the property site of the first shooting, and they still couldn't bring any charges against him. They determined that Marvin's gun was THE gun in that shooting, and he hasn't been arrested on anything resulting from it.

You really think they're going to be able to bring charges on him from a gun found NOT registered to him, when they couldn't bring any when they found a gun actually used, registered to him, and found in his possession?

I don't think so. They couldn't bring him up on charges because there were conflicting stories, from eyewitnesses and victims. Dwight Dixon even went back and said he saw Marvin with the gun in his hand, but due to his prior statements they couldn't be used.

No one is going to roll over on Marvin now, so far after the fact. Even if they go to teh registered owner and say it's on him, unless he gives up Harrison, you still have to deal with the defense showing that it's a deal to get their defendant.

There's a reason why statistics show successful homicide prosecution drops significantly after 48hrs. And this is the perfect example of why.

Evidence gets lost, it gets hidden, people get their their stories straight, and too much time in general passes.