PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth will skip minicamp, wants trade

vapacersfan
06-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who skipped the Redskins' voluntary workout program in protest of his new role on the team, will not attend the mandatory minicamp that begins Wednesday and wants to be traded, his agent said Tuesday night.
"The Redskins are trying to establish a new regime with new schemes at Redskins Park, and it is not an organization that Albert would have ever been attracted to just a short year ago - regardless of the money," agent Chad Speck said in a phone interview. "He has made it clear to me that he does not want to play for the Washington Redskins.
"This situation will be a distraction to the Redskins and to Albert and his teammates. I am certain [head coach] Mike [Shanahan] and [General Manager] Bruce [Allen] want to get the most out of their first year and it's probably in everyone's best interests for the Redskins to make a deal and trade Albert."
Redskins Senior Vice President Tony Wylie said "We're preparing for minicamp, so Coach Shanahan will address your question tomorrow."
For weeks, Haynesworth has privately expressed frustration to some teammates about the coaching staff's decision to use him as a nose tackle in Washington's new 3-4 defensive scheme, and told them he would not participate in voluntary activities as defined by the league's collective bargaining agreement.
Team officials maintain they have never discussed trading the two-time all-pro, but the Redskins have had talks with clubs interested in acquiring Haynesworth, according to people familiar with the situation.
Haynesworth missed all but one day of Coach Mike Shanahan's 47-day voluntary program, including six days of minicamps, 13 organized team activities and 28 days designated for lifting, according to a copy of the team's offseason schedule. In March, he attended Shanahan's introductory session to inform him he planned to train on his own.

Shanahan, who shortly after his hiring stressed the importance of his offseason program, acknowledged he was disappointed in Haynesworth's decision, but the NFL's collective bargaining agreement prohibits teams from fining players for skipping voluntary activities. The two-day minicamp is Washington's only mandatory event, and Haynesworth is aware of the potential consequences of his actions, Speck said.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

I am going to keep my mouth shut to keep myself from getting banned :mad:

Sollozzo
06-16-2010, 12:42 AM
He's the epitome of a POS.

Basketball Fan
06-16-2010, 01:31 AM

When he stomped on Andre Gurode's head a few years back that should've been the first clue

thewholefnshow31
06-16-2010, 07:58 AM

He maybe a POS, but he is one damn good DT.

I would have felt bad for him had he gone to a good team and they did a regime change there, but when you sign with a team that has Jim Zorn you know the team is going to lose.

I can understand his frustration with the move to a 3-4. It is crazy how many people are switching to a 3-4 even though they have predominately 4-3 personnel. I am looking at you Chan Gailey!

If he was not such a headcase I would take him in a second. Freeney/Haynesworth/Mathis. :dance:

ChicagoJ
06-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I am looking at you Chan Gailey!

I've found this interesting. Obviously, he and Buffalo's GM were with Cowher, LeBeau, and Capers when they first perfected the 3-4 zone blitz and he had to coach against it every day.

But you'd also think those guys know first-hand that a good 3-4 takes more than a creative scheme. It also takes the right type of DLs (space eaters that must be double-teamed, very effective vs. the run) and LBs that cover the field vertically, not horizontally.

Having said that. If there was a DL that I thought could convert to the 3-4 because of run defense skills, its Hayneworth.

But he's not worth the trouble. He might be a coach's worst nightmare.

vapacersfan
06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
The man made 41 million last year, and he was upset because coaches wanted him to play more. This year he is set to make 32 million, and he is upset because he had a 6:30 AM physical and because the team has refused to trade him.

Guess what, THINGS CHANGE.

Does it suck being on a 4-12 team? Yes. But hell, for 32 million most people would play on a 0-412 team. But no, Haynesworth does not care about the team. He cares about $$$$$$$$.

To quote Redskins.com this morning

Look at the Pro Bowl roster from last year. Three defensive tackles made the AFC team and two of them were pure nose tackles (Vince Woolfork, Casey Hampton). One of the four on the NFC side (Jay Ratliff) was a nose tackle. This is clearly a valued position and one more in vogue with about half of the league now lining up in a 3-4.
and lastly

“Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald. In 1926. True then, true now.

vapacersfan
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I seriously doubt the Colts go after him, but some things I foudn interesting after reading up a bit:

1. He did all this after he found out his physical was moved up and the team told him he has to pass it in order to play. Makes me wonder if he is out of shape.

2. Rumor was he was willing to pay back some money to get traded. Now it sounds like that may not happen

3. He has turned his phone off and will not address any calls or texts from teammates today

4. A person close to him is suggestion he may even retire. There is one rumor in Washington saying that even if he shows up, the team expects him to get hurt on the first or second play and just sit out the season.

5. No GM in the league is willing to touch him.

EDIT: 6. Apparently after the team restructured the deal last summer there is a clause where either he or hte team can void the last 4 years of the deal, but I have only heard this from one source. Apparently Redskins lawyers are looking at this now, but I can not image the players association would let anything like this happen. Worst case, they make him buy out of his contract.

7. The man has a taste for expensive boats and cars. He may have just got what he wanted, and if he walks away now he is going to walk away a wealthy, wealthy man after barely playing last year.

EDIT2: Shanahan says team gave Haynesworth permission to be released, NOT to seek a trade, if he didn't take check (on 4/1/2010).

After Coles refused to be a part of the trade for Santana Moss a few years back, Dan Snyder called him and said "Either do the trade or I will send you a TV". I hope he ups the offer and send Fat Albert a HD TV

idioteque
06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Mark my words, ten years from now we will be hearing about how Haynesworth, the $100 million man, is flat broke just like Antoine Walker. He is obviously blowing all his money on stupid crap and picked up his latest baby momma this summer (18 years, 18 years...). This guy is lazy and has epic fail written all over him.

PaceBalls
06-17-2010, 04:28 AM
41 million? in one year? seriously? That is crazy. For that much money he needs to be the Michael Jordon of football. No, better than the MJ of football. He needs to save the world from its sins. JFC, that's insane money for one team to pay a player.

Stryder
06-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Woah. He made 41 million in salary last year??? Contracts sure have gotten out of control in the NFL...and I though the NBA was bad.

Basketball Fan
06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Woah. He made 41 million in salary last year??? Contracts sure have gotten out of control in the NFL...and I though the NBA was bad.

The NBA is worse because its guaranteed regardless the NFL not so much

ChicagoJ
06-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Signing bonus. Paid upfront but prorated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes.

Wasn't there a QB that had a $30 million signing bonus on top of a seven year, $seventy million deal? He made just about $40 million that season as well.

Stryder
06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Signing bonus. Paid upfront but prorated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes.

Wasn't there a QB that had a $30 million signing bonus on top of a seven year, $seventy million deal? He made just about $40 million that season as well.

At least he was worth it.

This guy is a goof. I think it's hilarious that the Redskins gave him that much money. The guy's averaged 3.5 sacks, 38.6 tackles, 0.125 Gurode face stompings, and 22 buffets per season for his career.

Ok....the last one is pure conjecture.

vapacersfan
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Today is Albert Haynesworth's birthday. Something tells me Redskins fans will not be wishing him a happy birthday

vapacersfan
06-17-2010, 01:44 PM

To clarify his SB was spread out over the life of the contract.

Then they restructured this year, and he was given a huge bonus not as a SB but instead as a roster bonus.

The language is very iffy (I am not lawyer, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) in the CBA, but from what I hear the Redskins are hoping to recoup the 41 million because it is a "roster" bonus.

That said the union told Albert before he pulled this stunt that the money would be his to keep no matter what, so if I am the Redskins I am not holding my breath on winning this case.

Of course, there is always hope you set a precedent.

vapacersfan
06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Two articles for anyone who cares about the SB battle:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5292920

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/sources-nflpa-warned-hayneswor.html#more