PDA

View Full Version : Report: Golden Tate avoids arrest in donut store incident

Basketball Fan
06-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Too weird to be made up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/08/report-golden-tate-avoids-arrest-in-donut-store-incident/

Report: Golden Tate avoids arrest in donut store incident
Posted by Mike Florio on June 8, 2010 2:14 PM ET
Earlier today, we told you to keep your eyes peeled for an unusual story.

And here it is.

The folks at TMZ report that Seahawks receiver Golden Tate was apprehended early Saturday inside a Top Pot donut shop in Bellevue, Washington. The problem? The donut store wasn't open for business at the time.

Per the report, Tate received a "trespass warning," but he wasn't arrested.

As we hear it, Tate entered the store with another person and feasted on donuts. We're told that the folks at Top Pot opted not to press charges, which helped Tate avoid arrest.

Meanwhile, Tate boasted in April that he'd never get in any trouble.

"Being at Notre Dame, you're used to being under the microscope, so I'm used to having all eyes on me," Tate told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. "Anything I do, anywhere I go. My mother and my father taught me what's right and what's wrong, so I don't think I have a problem making any tough decisions."

Apparently, he didn't have to make any "tough decisions" between glazed and cream-filled. He simply ate both.

Basketball Fan
06-09-2010, 09:16 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/08/golden-tate-seattle-seahawks-nfl-911-call-donut-shop/

Golden Tate 911 -- They're 'Drunk, Retarded'
Originally posted Jun 9th 2010 12:10 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
NFL rookie star Golden Tate was "drunk" and "being retarded" when he broke into a donut shop in Washington and stole maple bars at 3 AM ... this according to the woman who called 911.

TMZ obtained the 911 call made on Saturday morning -- in which the Top Pot employee tells the dispatcher Golden and a friend snuck in through an unlocked door, stole keys and a bunch of donuts ... and then ran off.

The woman also claims the Seattle Seahawks star then came back to the scene of the crime, returned the keys, and tried to blame his friend for the heist ... but the employee says she watched Tate "running from behind the counter."

Ultimately, cops arrived to the scene and issued Tate a "trespass warning."

Golden later said he broke into the place because the smell of the maple bars was "irresistible."

travmil
06-09-2010, 09:34 AM
The place is called Top Pot? So, when you've been "partying" and get the munchies, at Top Pot you can take care of both needs at once? There's a joke in there somewhere...

imawhat
06-11-2010, 10:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Tate

On June 8, 2010, Golden Tate received a warning of trespassing at a Top-Pot Doughnuts below Tate's apartment around 3 AM. Tate was not arrested, cited, or criminally charged for trespassing by Bellevue Police.[9] Many major media outlets, including NBC Sports, CNBC, Seattle Times, and the Los Angeles Daily News have reported the incident as a publicity stunt resulting from a newly signed three year exclusive pouring rights sponsorship agreement between Top-Pot Doughnuts, Seattle Seahawks and Qwest Field, as well as an endorsement deal with head coach Pete Carroll, who has previously stated his dislike for coffee.[10]
After the incident, Carroll published the following comment on his Twitter account, "A great maple bar is a great maple bar, right golden?? They don't come along everyday ... a classic TopPot temptation!" Tate also published his apology in the form of an endorsement, "They’re irresistible. It was kind of a foolish mistake that won’t happen again, but if you ever want some maple bars, that's the place to go.”[11][12][13]
Top-Pot co-founder Mark Klebeck, who has referred to himself as a "doughnut sleuth", has officially denied reports that the event was a publicity stunt. However, he has also admitted that he "hopes to meet Golden Tate and sign him to an exclusive endorsement deal after the Seahawks win the Super Bowl".

Stryder
06-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Oh geeze. That's stupid, especially if it is a marketing ploy.

Shade
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh geeze. That's stupid, especially if it is a marketing ploy.

Sadly, that's exactly what it sounds like to me.

Viral marketing at its worst.