PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Q&A from Mark Montieth, DW or Bird calling the shots

Unclebuck
07-31-2004, 12:13 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/025639-4458-116.html

What is Larry Bird's role this offseason? It seems like Donnie Walsh is calling the shots on personnel decisions. (Howard from Columbus, Ohio)

Answer: I can understand why you would have the impression Walsh is still in charge, because I quote him more often than Bird. That's merely because Walsh is more accessible than Bird, particularly when Bird was in Salt Lake City for summer league play.

Bird has final say on all decisions, but he and Walsh work in tandem. Both of them make and receive phone calls, but there are areas in which Walsh has more experience and expertise. Bird, however, is the spokesman for the team at the press conferences.

Walsh's accessibility to me shouldn't be taken for granted by fans. Many team presidents and general managers don't speak so freely with the beat writers. Walsh shows great respect for the fans by remaining available so that I can keep people better informed. That's something many players and other league personnel forget. It's not about their relationship with the media, it's about the fans who pay the bills and have great interest in their team.

Hoop
07-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Call me stubborn, but I still believe Donnie has the final say on everything.

Hicks
07-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Walsh has final say, I'm fairly positive. But they work in tandem to it really doesn't matter who has final say, it's not like they get in fights.

Hoop
07-31-2004, 12:45 AM
Walsh has final say, I'm fairly positive. But they work in tandem to it really doesn't matter who has final say, it's not like they get in fights.

I'd say your probably right, I don't see egos getting in the way of decisions with this management, it's been a first class operation in the Simon/Walsh era.

Will Galen
07-31-2004, 01:35 AM
I read the article earlier and chose not to post it because we have been over this several times.

Everyone knows what I think anyway. ;)