PDA

View Full Version : is rik smits #45 gonna be retired?

rel
07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
they should retire it cuz hes probably the best center we have ever had (i think). i havent heard any plans of this happenning.

retired #'s

30 George McGinnis
34 Mel Daniels
35 Roger Brown
soon to be 31 Reggie Miller

blanket
07-30-2004, 08:58 PM
It might be retired from Marist College, but not from the Pacers. ;)

Anthem
07-30-2004, 09:47 PM
They won't retire Rik before Reggie, if at all.

Lord Helmet
07-30-2004, 11:40 PM
I don't think so.ucla31 where did you get that avatar?

Unclebuck
07-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Reggie yes, Rik no.

You have to be a great plkayer to have your jersey retired, I would say you have to be a Hall of Famer or at least close and Rik is not even close to the HOF

Hoop
07-31-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't think Rik's number will ever be retired by the Pacers, personally I would not be opposed to it though. He is close to the top of several franchise categories. If we had won the Championship in 2000 I believe he would have had a good shot at it.

Jose Slaughter
07-31-2004, 02:45 AM
Several years ago I read an interview with Walsh about retired numbers.

There was some feeling that some of the older guys from the ABA days should up there as well as Big Mac, Mel & Roger.

He did mention Reggie but that it would have to wait until a certain period after his playing days are done.

He also mentioned Smits. Something like, if there were to be any other number up there after Miller's, he thought it should be Rik's.

After Reggie should be O'Neal but after that....?

Hicks
07-31-2004, 02:49 AM
For now, assuming JO is a Pacer the rest of his career, Reggie and he will go up there eventually. Past that, I doubt any current NBA players that were/are Pacers will be, but I've gotten the impression there are a couple other ABA Pacers that deserve to be, but their names escape me.

Jose Slaughter
07-31-2004, 04:13 AM
.... but I've gotten the impression there are a couple other ABA Pacers that deserve to be, but their names escape me.

In order

Netolicky, Lewis & Keller

Bball
07-31-2004, 04:24 AM
I've always felt if DW had anything to do with it Smits' number would be in the rafters.

BTW... I think BMiller was better. :devil:

-Bball

ABADays
07-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Netolicky and Lewis for sure - probably Keller. Smits no.

Doug
07-31-2004, 09:25 AM
Rik, no. If he had been able to play at his highest level for more than a year or so, and if we had one at least one NBA championship, then maybe. But things didn't work out that way.

Reggie, of course. I could even handle a statue of him at the fieldhouse.

If JO stays here and has the career he is capable of, then I'd see him up there too.

If Artest doesn't get himself traded, and continues to improve as he has the potential to do might even have a shot at the type of career necessary to get your number up there.

MagicRat
07-31-2004, 11:34 AM
If they would retire Rik's number, I would make it #24..

Chuck is #45..........

Jose Slaughter
07-31-2004, 07:14 PM
If they would retire Rik's number, I would make it #24..

Chuck is #45..........

Neto was 24! :(

ChicagoJ
07-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Then Smits is out! I've never felt good about him taking Chuck's number while it was still warm. :mad:

Besides, with Mel and JO, Rik is battling Stipo and James Edwards for the #3 all time Pacers center, anyway. (And some of us are still very partial to Len Elmore even though he wasn't usually a starter).

:shrug:

Billy Knight should be in consideration, along with the ABA guys mentioned above. :twocents: