PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bellisimo
06-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Less than 10 days left for the tipoff to the world's biggest event - WORLD CUP 2010!

Who are your favorites this time around? Any players you'll be in the lookout for? Which team will you support?

Mourning
06-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Why don't you start out? I'll add somewhere today or tomorrow.

Rupert Stilinski
06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Since I nailed the Champions League Final, I will try to continue my run and say that the US will defeat England, in a rematch of each team's opener, and the Revolutionary War, to win the most historic of World Cups.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/31/article-1239656-0774228C000005DC-997_634x670.jpg

Trader Joe
06-02-2010, 08:37 AM
My avatar says it all...We should make it out of group play, and I hope we can maybe surprise some people. I really wish we had Davies up front. I don't like our other options next to Altidore. Donovan needs to have a huge cup.

Though I think the team to beat is Spain and I would love to see a Spain vs. Argentina final where Messi does something amazing and then Maradona has relations doggie style with a prostitute at midfield while waving his arms around and yelling I'm alive or whatever like Jason Statham in the first Crank.

(The sad part is that Maradona could do this, and you would only be a little bit surprised at this point...)

Rupert Stilinski
06-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Seriously though, the favorites have to be Spain and Brazil. I think those two are far and away the best teams in the world right now. Spain will most likely be my favorite team to watch. No country in the world can match them for the number of playmakers they can put on the field. David Villa, Torres (if healthy), Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, David Silva, Sergio Ramos... they are just absolutely stacked with world class players, and there certainly is no lack of flair there either.

I'm not as excited about the prospect of watching this Brazil side. Kaka is a great player obviously but no one else on that team excites me. Defensively they are completely solid with their back four, two holding midfielders, and Julio Cesar at the top of his game. I hope I'm wrong and they don't get out of their group. I'd rather see the likes of Portugal and Ivory Coast advance.

I like the Dutch team, they are another team that should be very fun to watch. But I don't understand what's going on with Van Persie and Kuyt. This seems like Mourning's area of expertise, and I'm really curious to see his thoughts. Methinks, RVP needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut and play. I don't really disagree with him, I think it makes sense to find a way to get both Sneijder and Van der Vaart on the field at the same time, but I don't like the way he publicly took a run at his potential strike partner.

I will probably root for England in every game after the first one. Rooney had as good of a year as any player in the world. Gerrard and Lampard are as good individually as any country could hope for, but they have never really played well together, and I'm still skeptical they will in South Africa. Their back four could be the best in the world if everyone was coming into the tournament at full strength, but that's clearly not the case. Ferdinand was not even close to being world class for United this past season. Terry had a similar down year at Chelsea and couldn't keep his pants on. Which perfectly leads us to the left back position and Ashley Cole, who if he was healthy and in the right mindset, is probably the best left back on the planet. I can't say I blame those guys. If I had the access to the women they do in their country... game on. All in all, I don't think England is as good as they think they are. I'm interested to see what Capello can do with these guys in the knockout stage.

I think those are the four best teams in the tournament, and the winner likely will come from that group. The main stays like Germany, Italy, France, and Argentina should be fun to watch, but I don't know if any of them are good enough to win the whole thing. I will take a strong interest in both Portugal and Ivory Coast in the hope that they will keep Brazil out of the knockout phase.

I'm going to break this into multiple posts since it's so long, and I doubt there are many big soccer fans here anyway.

Trader Joe
06-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Spain's roster is stacked, it really is insane when you start to list it out. Although, I can't wait to see Villa in Barca colors.

I think England will disappoint. That first game between us and them will surely be something else to watch, and I think we could see both teams expend a lot of energy on that. In fact, I think right now either team USA or England is going to fail to advance out of the group and that is going to be the early on big disappointment of the tournament.

Unless Brazil shows up lazy, and does get surprised by a team like the Ivory Coast. Then that would be an even bigger deal.

Rupert Stilinski
06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
But most importantly, as a patriotic member of Sam's Army, I feel obliged to impart my feelings on the American team. I think South Africa offers a perfect opportunity to build on the 2002 campaign (2006... let's just act like that didn't really happen). There are so many injury concerns with this team, the largest of which (figuratively, and in his case, certainly literally, as well) is obviously Oguchi Onyewu. I think once Gooch is healthy and has a few more years of top-flight European football in him he's going to be as good of a central defender as anyone. AC Milan seems like a perfect place for this to happen, if he can find the playing time, which is definitely not ever a guarantee at a club like that.

I think Demerit and Onyewu will make a solid central defense pairing. Bocanegra is better in the middle as well, but will have to play out left due to no other viable options. I'm feeling better about Cherundolo after his showing in the past couple friendlies, but I think he's (or whoever else happens to occupy the other defensive position) definitely the weak link in defense. Luckily, the US is as solid at the goalkeeping position as anyone could hope for. I would take any of the three American keepers before any of the England options. Howard has a case as being one of the world's best, and Guzan and Hahnemann offer great, experienced depth. While Onyewu's injury situation is scary, the back five almost pick themselves, which isn't necessarily a bad problem to have.

There are lots of potential options in the midfield. Michael Bradley is as much a core member of the team as Donovan, Dempsey, Howard, or anyone else. He's good for 90 minutes every game provided he doesn't get any stupid cards, which he is certainly susceptible to. The 2nd center midfield position is one of the other few question marks on this team. I like the defensive option that Maurice Edu brings, but personally I'm also in favor of Ricardo Clark in that position. I think those are the two best options to start games next to Bradley who is more fond of ranging up field. I love that Bradley recalled Demarcus Beasley. The Fort Wayne native, like Cherundolo and Donovan, has played in two World Cups, so his experience will be important. He can even potentially cover at left back if needed, which may be if Cherundolo or Bocanegra struggle. Torres, Feilhaber, and Holder are all good attacking options in the midfield, but I think they are better coming off the bench in situations when we need a goal.

I love the Donovan/Dempsey tandem out wide, and when there are two solid striking options like Altidore and Davies, the attacking four is more than formidable enough to score goals on any country in the tournament. The unfortunate absence of Davies, however, changes everything. I'm curious to see just what Bob Bradley decides to do. You can write Altidore's name in Sharpie on the lineup card, but who is paired up front with him is anybody's guess. Moving either Donovan or Dempsey up is one possibility to make use of the ample options available in the midfield. Personally, I think Dempsey plays better as a 2nd striker anyway, so I think that's the best option. However, if that was Bradley's plan all along, I really doubt he would have kept all three of Buddle, Gomez, and Findley. I don't follow MLS or the Mexican League closely, so I don't know much about those guys. I was intrigued by Gomez in the game against the Czechs, and Findley was even more impressive against Turkey. I have to think he brought them along with the intentions of playing them, so I think we'll see the US start out with a line up of:

..............................Altidore........Gome z/Findley/Buddle

...............Donovan............................ ...........................Dempsey
.................................Clark/Edu.............Bradley

......................Bocanegra, Demerit, Onyewu, Cherundolo

...............................................How ard

Is the lineup good enough to win the whole thing? Maybe. It's definitely good enough to get out of the group, and I think we have a good chance to take some points from England in the opener. Ballack being out for Germany is huge, since they are a likely opponent in the first knockout round. After that it's anyone's guess. I don't think the US will win by any means, but they are good enough to beat anyone on any given day. Unfortunately, they also could lose to anyone. If we don't advance from our group, the World Cup has to be considered a resounding failure. If we get the the quarterfinals, I think it will be a success. Anything beyond that is just gravy, and we're playing with house money.

In case you can't tell, I'm freaking pumped for June 12th. I went with my best friend yesterday and we got a brand new 63" Samsung 3D TV with the glasses, and a state of the art Bose surround sound to go with it. I helped him set it all up in his basement and we watched Monsters vs. Aliens (the only 3D Blu-Ray movie currently available) to test it out. It was ridiculous. I can't even describe the awe I felt. The whole reason for his purchase was in anticipation of the World Cup being broadcast in 3D. It's going to be insane. I can't freaking wait.

USA ALL THE WAY!!

Rupert Stilinski
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
My avatar says it all...We should make it out of group play, and I hope we can maybe surprise some people. I really wish we had Davies up front. I don't like our other options next to Altidore. Donovan needs to have a huge cup.

Though I think the team to beat is Spain and I would love to see a Spain vs. Argentina final where Messi does something amazing and then Maradona has relations doggie style with a prostitute at midfield while waving his arms around and yelling I'm alive or whatever like Jason Statham in the first Crank.

(The sad part is that Maradona could do this, and you would only be a little bit surprised at this point...)

Love your avatar, Stylez might have to steal it from June 12th-July 11th.

Argentina is a mess. I have no idea what they were thinking when they hired Maradona. Maybe we should take a page from their playbook and see if we can convince Doc Gooden to coach our team in the next World Baseball Classic.

Trader Joe
06-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Argentina is a mess, but Messi is a transcendent enough talent, that if he catches fire in the bracket play, watch out. He's good enough to carry them through two or three games IMO.

Dempsey as the second striker is interesting. Buddle probably plays closest to Davies of the three available strikers, he has pretty good speed IMO, but he's not even close to being as polished. I'm sick that we lost Davies. Altidore, Donovan, Dempsey, and Davies has shown just how potent it can be against Spain and Brazil. Oh well, time to move on with what we have.

bellisimo
06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
at least you guys made it to the World Cup...we (Turkey) were too high on our horse and just thought it was our right to be there and fizzled out in the qualifiers...

Rupert Stilinski
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
at least you guys made it to the World Cup...we (Turkey) were too high on our horse and just thought it was our right to be there and fizzled out in the qualifiers...

Ahhh....the glory of CONCACAF.

Mexico is the only other team worth a darn, and we own them.

bellisimo
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Ahhh....the glory of CONCACAF.

Mexico is the only other team worth a darn, and we own them.

haha...true...
we did have a friendly over the weekend...you guys won 2-1.

Suaveness
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM

I actually like Gomez, especially if he comes off the bench. He seems lately to have a knack for doing some damage. I thought the addition of Findley was a little weird, but he showed against Turkey how valuable it is to have someone stretch the field. It really opened things up for us, so he may have a role to play. I might start him and bring in Gomez later on.

I think the key for us is defense. It really hasn't looked good, so that has to be better. Spector and Bornstein have been awful, so I'd expect Cherundolo and Bocanegra to start and hopefully play through against England at least.

I think for us to have a successful cup, we need to get out of group stage. After that it's all wonderful. We'd likely have to face Germany in the rd of 16, so that would be tough.

As for who I think would win, I'd say Spain/Brazil/England. Honestly, they look the best to me. Spain SHOULD win, but who knows with them. They lost to us last year, so...

bellisimo
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/t-shirt-awesome.jpg?w=500&h=786

Trader Joe
06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I actually like Gomez, especially if he comes off the bench. He seems lately to have a knack for doing some damage. I thought the addition of Findley was a little weird, but he showed against Turkey how valuable it is to have someone stretch the field. It really opened things up for us, so he may have a role to play. I might start him and bring in Gomez later on.

I think the key for us is defense. It really hasn't looked good, so that has to be better. Spector and Bornstein have been awful, so I'd expect Cherundolo and Bocanegra to start and hopefully play through against England at least.

I think for us to have a successful cup, we need to get out of group stage. After that it's all wonderful. We'd likely have to face Germany in the rd of 16, so that would be tough.

As for who I think would win, I'd say Spain/Brazil/England. Honestly, they look the best to me. Spain SHOULD win, but who knows with them. They lost to us last year, so...

Gomez is the wild card. I don't like Findley.
Altidore is big and strong enough to play a sole striker role with Dempsey and Donovan acting as attacking mids and I think this will be a lineup we see especially if we jump out to early leads at any point.

Defense IMO will get together once Gooch is better adjusted to game speed which will hopefully occur during practice this next week and not during the first half of the England game.

Mourning
06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the World Cup Soccer in South Africa.

My favorites to win it all are: Spain, Brasil, Germany and Argentina.
The group of countries that could go far or knock some of the above named off are IMHO: Italy, Portugal, South Africa (home court advantage always plays a role), France, England and The Netherlands.

With regards to my own country:
the biggest dangers we face are as always an average defence, being in the tough part of the draw (Italy, Spain, Brasil.... :wtf:) and some players starting to talk too much in the press. Van Persie has a bit of rep with regards to this last thing and the last named danger is the biggest IMHO.

I think especially offensively there are few countries which have the wealth of offensive oriented midfielders and attackers that we pretty much always bring to bear. Tactically The Netherlands has been a very sound team with a lot of good passing and usually an attractive type of soccer to watch.

With regards to this coming World Cup... I don't see us winning it or even getting to the final, I do think we are capable of beating ANYONE under the right circumstances. This time I think we should be able to win our group. And we better do, because in the second round we face the number 2 of the group Italy is in, unless we end up number 2 in our group. In that scenario Italy is our likely opponent, not something you want (even though we thoroughly killed them in the first EC match).

IF we survive that round NORMALLY (but, when does that ever happen) we should face Brasil... ugh... personally, I think that's when we go out. OTOH anything could happen. Two years ago we beat both WC-finalists Italy and France and then Romania to advance to the knockout stages where we faced pretty much a horror opponent... Guus Hiddink and Russia.

Now if someone knows how Dutch soccer works it's Hiddink. The best Dutch coach around IMHO though van Marwijk seems to pretty damn good too (currently a record 18-game streak without a loss).

Anyway, I hope we can win it, but I don't think and expect it too happen. I would LOVE for us to finally beat Brasil sometime again in a WC. That alone, together with going pretty far and beating one or more of my top-4 WC candidates or the group below that would make me a very, very happy Dutchman :D.

Rupert Stilinski
06-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I will take a strong interest in both Portugal and Ivory Coast in the hope that they will keep Brazil out of the knockout phase.

So much for Ivory Coast's hopes to be the breakout African nation in the continent's big coming out party.

Drogba's broken arm ends any chances they had to cause any trouble for the heavyweights in their group.

Trader Joe
06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
RIo Ferdinand out for England in the World Cup now.

Suaveness
06-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Boy teams are taking some hits. Hopefully we don't have anything like that. We've suffered enough, especially with Davies out, and now Jozy hurt again.

pacers74
06-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't follow soccer to closely, but the US has now won thier last 2 games since finalizing their world cup roster. We beat Australia 3-1 today in another friendly game. The world cup is always exciting to watch.

Frostwolf
06-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm looking forward to the World Cup Soccer in South Africa.

My favorites to win it all are: Spain, Brasil, Germany and Argentina.
The group of countries that could go far or knock some of the above named off are IMHO: Italy, Portugal, South Africa (home court advantage always plays a role), France, England and The Netherlands.

With regards to my own country:
the biggest dangers we face are as always an average defence, being in the tough part of the draw (Italy, Spain, Brasil.... :wtf:) and some players starting to talk too much in the press. Van Persie has a bit of rep with regards to this last thing and the last named danger is the biggest IMHO.

I think especially offensively there are few countries which have the wealth of offensive oriented midfielders and attackers that we pretty much always bring to bear. Tactically The Netherlands has been a very sound team with a lot of good passing and usually an attractive type of soccer to watch.

With regards to this coming World Cup... I don't see us winning it or even getting to the final, I do think we are capable of beating ANYONE under the right circumstances. This time I think we should be able to win our group. And we better do, because in the second round we face the number 2 of the group Italy is in, unless we end up number 2 in our group. In that scenario Italy is our likely opponent, not something you want (even though we thoroughly killed them in the first EC match).

IF we survive that round NORMALLY (but, when does that ever happen) we should face Brasil... ugh... personally, I think that's when we go out. OTOH anything could happen. Two years ago we beat both WC-finalists Italy and France and then Romania to advance to the knockout stages where we faced pretty much a horror opponent... Guus Hiddink and Russia.

Now if someone knows how Dutch soccer works it's Hiddink. The best Dutch coach around IMHO though van Marwijk seems to pretty damn good too (currently a record 18-game streak without a loss).

Anyway, I hope we can win it, but I don't think and expect it too happen. I would LOVE for us to finally beat Brasil sometime again in a WC. That alone, together with going pretty far and beating one or more of my top-4 WC candidates or the group below that would make me a very, very happy Dutchman :D.

I'm Korean, but as they won't be doing anything notable in their group (Argentina, Nigeria, Greece) I'm rooting for the Dutch, god knows this is going to be their year finally. I think RvP will do something magical (but I'm biased as an Arsenal fan) but I've got questions about the defense... but I think Brazil is a pretty favourable matchup for the Netherlands this time around - their squad is the weakest I've seen in some time and quite a few of the players (Kaka etc) haven't been in top form. I hear Robben got injured, how long will he be out for?

Spain can go to hell. As much as I love Cesc I can't support a team that is full of those douchebags from Barcelona (except David Villa who only joined just recently, though I give him half a season before he starts talking about how Cesc should be at Barcelona blah blah blah). Same goes for England.

Maradona will find some way to mess the whole thing up for Messi.

I think either the Germans or the Dutch will win the whole thing. Just a hunch.

Rupert Stilinski
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm scared to death about Gooch. He hasn't played 90 minutes since his injury in October. If he starts against England he's going to be a serious question mark.

The Hustler
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Well I might suddenly become the most unpopular person in the thread, as i'm English through and through!

Personally, i think the favourites have got to be Spain, then Brazil, followed by Netherlands, Portugal and England as the most likely to disrupt that final.

Both England and USA are incredibly lucky with the group we have drawn. I personally don't think USA are likely to make it past last 16 as I think we will win on Saturday, USA then would come second in the group )assuming no upsets) and i think would lose against Germany in the last 16.

Having said that, I think the USA team is vastly improved over the last few years, just not to a level that can compete with the top 8 or 9 teams in the world.

As for my England boys, I think we have all the potential make a legit challenge for the trophy, but we often have all the promise in the world and fail, so i don't want to put my foot in it. We've got talent, but so have other teams!

I personally put Rooney right up there with Ronaldo and Messi as one of the top few players in the world, and i dont think he will disappoint. I think with Gerrand and Lampard in central midfield we are always likely to create chances, and even with a relatively weaker second striker (whether it is Crouch, Defoe or Heskey) I still think we will score goals.

Our defence worries me more. Losing Rio was a disappointment. Ledley King is one of the most gifted players, but fitness and injury problems, as well as simply not playing as much football as we would have liked him too over the last few year (particularly as he has hardly played along side Terry) is a concern i think. Cole is, although followed by controvasy off the pitch, one of the best left backs in the world on the pitch, but recent injury is not ideal, and Glenn Johnson, while a threat going forward, doesn't fill me with confidence at the back, as he showed by conceding a clumsy penalty in out final friendly today. All in all, our back four, i believe will be what decides how well we do this world cup. If it gells and plays tigtly together, we could punnish our critics, but if we leak goals then we may well struggle!

One big loss, i believe, for the game agains the USA is Gareth Barry, who, for the last few years has provided very valuable cover infront of the defence, allowing freedom for Gerrard and/or Lampard. His injury i believe is a real loss for England, i really hope he regains fitness for the later rounds if we get there!

More importantly, i am thoroughly looking forward to the world cup, the game against the USA should be fun the watch, and hopefully, the Final will be as well with the 3 lions bringing football home!

Trader Joe
06-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word, over there,
For the Yanks are comin', the Yanks are comin',
and we won't be runnin' anymore!

I am getting so hyped for this!

Suaveness
06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm scared to death about Gooch. He hasn't played 90 minutes since his injury in October. If he starts against England he's going to be a serious question mark.

Our entire defense is a question mark. They haven't played that great at all. It looked a little better against the Aussies, but it isn't where it needs to be for us to beat England.

I really liked Buddle in the last friendly. I thought Findley was able to stretch the team, but his finishing was turrrible. Assuming Altidore is healthy, I think it best to start him with Buddle, and then bring in Gomez as a sub. If we can't stretch the field, then maybe Findley as well. Torres needs to play heavy minutes IMO, too, because I think he and Bradley go well together. Hopefully a lineup like that will let Donovan and Dempsey do what they need to do.

thewholefnshow31
06-08-2010, 03:57 PM

I cannot imagine they will have Gooch play significant minutes against the English. I could see them using him as a sub or maybe start him, but sub him at half time. I just do not see how you can play the guy significant minutes when he has not played a full game since he was injured in October.

I think he would be more of a liability back there.

I think Landon's play is the key for the US making it out of our group. If he plays like he did at the last World Cup you can kiss our chance goodbye. If he plays to the form he has been then we should make it out with England.

bellisimo
06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
so as we're inching closer to the begining of World Cup..let me ask fellow enthusiasts...what do you like about the World Cup?

I'm a big fan of the sexy fans that the game of football brings out in these tournaments :D

http://funnycrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Sexy-World-Cup-Fans-26.jpg

The Hustler
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I love the passion that ensures from fans. Some in England go to unbelievable lengths to show their support. That kind of things bring people in communities together in a way that doesn't happen all that often. For example, the british government agreeing to fly the flag of St. George above the houses of parliment for the duration of the world cup that England are in.

Certainly in Enlgand, Football brings out a passion and euphoria that is seldom seen in other aspects of life, and in a way that is quite incredible considering it is simply a sport.

It becomes acceptable to get carried away, and unite over something, that is the grand scheme of things, is actually relatively unimportant!

http://img.skysports.com/10/06/800x600/england_2463638.jpg

http://img.skysports.com/10/06/800x600/User-Pictures_2463326.jpg

http://img.skysports.com/10/06/800x600/Finley-Sherriff-User-Pictures_2463527.jpg

I agree the girls arn't bad either

http://footieblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/page3.jpg

Suaveness
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I like watching the US progress as a soccer nation and attempt to get better through each world cup. I hope that one day we'll get to a point where we are one of the world's best and can win a World cup. I think that's definitely possible if we continue to progress.

Trader Joe
06-10-2010, 06:48 PM
It's only a matter of time IMO Suave...

Those two english girls are ****ing on fire! Wow...

And finally, ESPN just said USA coaching staff and Gooch think he is good to go, and he will start and apparently likely play 90 minutes against England.

Trader Joe
06-10-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.worldcupbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/USA.jpg

EPIC.

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 07:55 AM
who do you guys think will be the surprise team of the tournament?
I'm rooting for Ivory Coast as the underdog

Rupert Stilinski
06-11-2010, 08:37 AM

I think Uruguay and Serbia are being underrated. Wouldn't surprise me to see them both in the quarterfinals.

Trader Joe
06-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Even after they lost Drogba?

I think they're toast.

Although, I do think it will be one of the African nations that surprises.

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
well yea - Drogba is out - hence I think they are more of an underdog now...more than ever...

PS - for everyone who would be stuck at work...try this site to catch the matches:
http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/fifaworldcup/

This is a valid link in Europe - I dunno about US...worth a try though...

Rupert Stilinski
06-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Even after they lost Drogba?

I think they're toast.

Although, I do think it will be one of the African nations that surprises.

Hate to get all Lee Corso on an IU guy, but "NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8722701.stm

Didier Drogba could play in Ivory Coast's World Cup opener despite breaking his arm against Japan on 4 June, says coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.
Chelsea striker Drogba, 32, needed surgery after sustaining the injury and his arm was in a sling on arrival in Johannesburg on Thursday.

"If it had been today or tomorrow, he wouldn't play," said Eriksson ahead of the 15 June clash against Portugal.

"But there are still some days - he might play against them."

Ivory Coast take on Portugal in Group G in the coastal city of Port Elizabeth.

Their tough pool also includes five-time winners Brazil and North Korea.

"It is a difficult group, but we will be well prepared and we will do everything to play well against the other teams," added the former England coach.

Drogba suffered the injury in Sion, Switzerland, in a collision with Japan defender Marcus Tulio Tanaka - three minutes after the Chelsea forward had opened the scoring with a 13th-minute deflected free-kick.

The Elephants, for whom Drogba has scored 44 goals in 69 appearances, went on to clinch victory with Manchester City defender Kolo Toure netting their second goal.

Afterwards, Eriksson refused to blame Tanaka for the incident.

"It was unlucky," the 62-year-old Ivory Coast boss said at the time. "It wasn't bad or stupid. He didn't want to hurt anyone. Football is a game of contact."

Drogba is the current African Player of the Year and scored 37 goals in all competitions for Chelsea last season as the west Londoners won the Premier League and FA Cup Double.

Suaveness
06-11-2010, 09:16 AM
You can watch all the games on ESPN3 too.

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 09:19 AM
You can watch all the games on ESPN3 too.

i've checked espn3 - for me i only see cricket, college football and hockey on their schedule...plus you'd have to pay for it no?

Suaveness
06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
i've checked espn3 - for me i only see cricket, college football and hockey on their schedule...plus you'd have to pay for it no?

I don't think you have to pay for it...they have it for us here in the states.

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 09:24 AM
hmm maybe i see the international page for them then...who knows...
anyhow the build up to the match has started - woo-hoo!

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 09:46 AM
man the openin' speech gave me goosebumps...I'm pumped for this - its exciting cause there are really no clear cut favorites this year. atleast not in my book...

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 10:11 AM
alright - I hate the airhorns - always have - always will...sounds like bees buzzing in my ear...i hope this wont be the case in all the matches

Trader Joe
06-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm at work watching South Africa/Mexico right now on espn3.com. Don't tell my boss...(He's watching it too...)

Suaveness
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Woa Mexico got robbed

edit: nm, it really was offside

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm at work watching South Africa/Mexico right now on espn3.com. Don't tell my boss...(He's watching it too...)

haha...same hear...watching it on the Euro website i posted earlier - boss has already left home so im guessing he's watching it at his house...i'm actually gonna stay at work an additional half an hour today just so i can finish watching the second half of this match. :D

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Woa Mexico got robbed

its interesting how after so many years of following football...this was the first time i ran into this style of offside...atleast one that i can remember...

Chewy
06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Woa Mexico got robbed

Nah, atleast two players need to be infront of the receiver at the time of the pass.

edit: little too slow there

Pig Nash
06-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh. Didn't know the rule exactly then. South Africa still lucky to be in it.

Mourning
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Holy crap! That South African left back better wake up... quite a few things he's doing that I'm sure are not part of his role/jobdescription, while leaving the left back area... almost unguarded on several occasions, leading to potentially very dangerous situations.

Nice to see the host country starting to creat a little bit in the final 10 minutes of the first half. Maybe they were a little more nervous then normal, not uncommon for the first match the host country in a World Cup tournament.

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 11:09 AM
BOOM! South Africa opens the gates and gets things off - up by a goal

BRushWithDeath
06-11-2010, 11:10 AM
That was a freaking missile.

Pig Nash
06-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Amazing goal from south africa!

Suaveness
06-11-2010, 11:26 AM
SA has had 2 more really good chances since the goal to put it away. Both teams have had chances.

Pig Nash
06-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Bad defending leads to the equalizer for Mexico.

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 11:32 AM
and Mexico gets even!

Mourning
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
And Mexico equalizes from... the South African left back area. Basically a pass from Mexico's left front over the center to Mexico's right front, where one of their players can receive the ball, unguarded, and shoot it past the South African keeper.

Where was that South African left back... AGAIN? :hmm:

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
well I think SA is lucky to have come out with a draw - they almost pulled out a W but I dont think they played well enough to deserve that...alright time to go home now :D

Pig Nash
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Mexico had a nice first half with nothing to show for it and RSA had a few close chances with no goals after the first in the second. A draw was a fair result.

Trader Joe
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Missed both of the goals...got called into a meeting :(

Oh and just a reminder to the English :)

We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Suaveness
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/England-and-U-S-ambassadors-make-wager-trade-w?urn=sow%2C246886

Funny.

The Hustler
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/England-and-U-S-ambassadors-make-wager-trade-w?urn=sow%2C246886

Funny.

This exhange is quite superb! Thank you for the link.

In response to Trader Joe, all i can say is freedom is clearly your right, as it is ours, although it was quite a long time previous to you that we were able to declare it so! :-P

As for the references to the match in 1950, I believe we have won the last four exchanges, but still, i'm sure there will be many dreaming of another 'miracle on grass' moment!

Regardless should be great fun to watch!

Chewy
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Wish Morocco would have won hosting the world cup, i dont know if i can take these horns for a whole month.

Stryder
06-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Missed both of the goals...got called into a meeting :(

Oh and just a reminder to the English :)

We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/St2FCxtlV7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/St2FCxtlV7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Wish Morocco would have won hosting the world cup, i dont know if i can take these horns for a whole month.

seriously these horns are raping my ears - im actually watching the matches with the volume almost on mute...its irritating and taking the fun out of the world cup so far...

bellisimo
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/404796-world-cup-2010-for-everyones-sake-ban-the-vuvuzela

JB24
06-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Breakaway! - HOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKK
Goal!- HHOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKK
Red Card!- HHHOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKK

They're awful. You can't hear the fans, the chants, nothing except for that incessant drone. Only a day into the WC and the last three have already blown this one out the water in terms of atmosphere.

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 06:30 AM
what are your picks for todays matches?
I think Greece and Argentina will win while US and England will draw.

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 07:30 AM
and like that South Korea takes the lead!

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-12-2010, 08:24 AM
very disappointing first half showing from my Greeks. no Karagounis in the second half... doesn't look good.

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Yep, 2-0. That's it.

Frostwolf
06-12-2010, 10:28 AM
shocked at how lifeless the greeks were. very surprised, didn't expect it would be so comfortable for us.

match with nigeria is key, now. a draw would have us in a very very strong position to advance.

argentina 1, nigeria 0 right now. argies controlling tempo. game's slowed down a bit.

Stryder
06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Ok. What's with the constant drone of the horns? Annoying to the nth degree.

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/FIFA-BAN-THE-ANNOYING-VUVUZELA-HORN-FROM-THE-SOUTH-AFRICA-WORLD-CUP-/124891457531066?ref=mf

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Nigerian goalie trying his best to keep them in the game so far...

vnzla81
06-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Messi is the man he is just amazing, good game by the goal keeper.

By the way I am rooting for Brazil, my second team is Argentina and my third team is the US;)

billbradley
06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
almost game time.

remember the revolutionary war? we weren't supposed to win that either.

second squad is ivory coast.

Pig Nash
06-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm gonna be rooting for England the rest of the tourney, my dad was born there and I've been rooting for England soccer since I was little, but today at 2:30, all that is out the window.

GO USA!!!

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
this match has been hyped up a lot. i hope it wont fail to deliver.
for some reason i think it'll end as a draw...we'll see how it goes though...

Suaveness
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I hope we don't get killed. USA!!

Trader Joe
06-12-2010, 02:23 PM
THE YANKS ARE COMING. GO USA

Suaveness
06-12-2010, 02:31 PM

pacers74
06-12-2010, 02:37 PM
1-0 England. I hope we can come back.

kester99
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Huh Ho! That just dribbled through.

Mourning
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
:woohoo: 1-1!!! Go USA!!!

Huge blunder by the England keeper though. Pretty lucky goal, but I don't mind :D.

LoneGranger33
06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I want the USA to win, but I feel really bad for that guy Green now.

Trader Joe
06-12-2010, 03:08 PM
England knew goalie was their weakness but wow.

We'll take it though.

WoodyHayes78
06-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Goooooooooaaaaaaaaal

Suaveness
06-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I feel bad for the English keeper, but who cares. USA!

After the US conceded the early goal, I think we started to play a lot better. We held possession pretty well for us, I think.

Trader Joe
06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Clark and Bradley were terrible IMO. Donovan, Dempsey, Altidore, Cherundulo all made some outstanding plays. Tim was Tim.

ilive4sports
06-12-2010, 03:42 PM
We are getting some real good looks. I think we can get another goal this half. But with the way our defense is playing we may need more than one...

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 04:16 PM
this match has been hyped up a lot. i hope it wont fail to deliver.
for some reason i think it'll end as a draw...we'll see how it goes though...

called it :D

Trader Joe
06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Clark needs to be benched. He didn't do a single good thing.

Jozy's run was incredible, shades of what is to come from him. He'll be a world class striker before it is all said and done.

Gooch had a great second half.

Howard might be the best keeper in the world. Very high hopes for this team right now.

bellisimo
06-12-2010, 04:25 PM
the match was stale - can't say either team is a front runner if they keep this style of play the rest of the tourney...

from all the teams played so far...Argentina is the one to beat...

Suaveness
06-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Bradley and Clark were both bad. I think Torres really should have come in.

Chewy
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
the match was stale - can't say either team is a front runner if they keep this style of play the rest of the tourney...

Lots of times the fast starter teams fizzle out and the ones who struggle a little at the start reach their optimal form as the month goes on, Italy didnt look like world beaters at the start too.

Trader Joe
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Bradley and Clark were both bad. I think Torres really should have come in.

I wanted Torres in for Clark. Bradley I thought was much better in the second half.

Trader Joe
06-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Well high hopes for the US would be a quarterfinals appearance.

I think both teams were afraid to lose.

Frostwolf
06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
well, england were pretty ****e as well. that midfield is not going to get them anywhere. the wide players aren't creating anything and the centre is unbalanced. capello needs to get some balls and drop one of gerrard and lampard for carrick.

bellisimo
06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Slovenia and Algeria got nothing going on at all...they should be no threat to England nor US if they play like they've been so far...

bellisimo
06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
and just as I wrote that Slovenia taken the lead!

Pig Nash
06-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Well the USA definitely needs to beat Slovenia on the 18th, now.

bellisimo
06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
yup - Slovenia will definitely be playing for a draw there...

Trader Joe
06-13-2010, 11:38 AM
We'll be OK, I think. If we want to make the leap to being an elite team we have to get used to people playing for draws against us, and not allowing them to get easy goals.

bellisimo
06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
and Serbia gave it away...what a horrid mistake like that...

all these mistakes though are making me wonder whether or not these matches were already set up...specially after reading about it before the world cup...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,575586,00.html

http://gamblingresults.com/20100525-uefas-probe-into-match-fixing-scandal-reaches-hungary-and-switzerland/

Kstat
06-13-2010, 12:09 PM
That tie was 60 years in the making. What an upset!

Would have been awesome to hear the Al Michaels call.

Do you believe in kissing your sister? Yes!

bellisimo
06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
the Germans looking strong so far...hope the Aussies try to make a comeback in the second half...

Pig Nash
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Unless australia is really that bad germany is the class of the field so far.

The Hustler
06-13-2010, 05:44 PM
The Germans played well tonight! I certainly do not want England to finish second in our group and have to play them in the round of 16.

Rupert Stilinski
06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Unless australia is really that bad germany is the class of the field so far.

Australia really is that bad.

Rupert Stilinski
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
That tie was 60 years in the making. What an upset!

Would have been awesome to hear the Al Michaels call.

Do you believe in kissing your sister? Yes!

As a sports fan, how did you not like that game?

Sure, it ended in a tie, but it was extremely exciting, beginning to end.

Kstat
06-14-2010, 02:27 AM
It's only exciting if someone wins. Otherwise it's the sports version of TV filler episodes.

And you realize without two absolutely bonehead mistakes by both sides, the game would have ended in a 0-0 tie.

Mourning
06-14-2010, 04:21 AM
It's only exciting if someone wins.

Seriously now, that's nonsense IMHO.

Today is THE day my team starts it's run :woohoo:.

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 05:32 AM
I think the stakes were a bit too high in the US vs. England match cause of the hype surrounding it that made everyone play to not lose instead of playing to win. That made the game a bit stale compared to last night's Aussie stomping by "zee" Germans...

Looking forward to the matches today...not going to be easy following it at work though...

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 06:22 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs310.snc3/29106_105003282881696_100001160739519_40673_687991 2_n.jpg

Mourning
06-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Holland!!! Holland!!!

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 08:00 AM
ROBBEN ROBBEN! :D

Mourning
06-14-2010, 08:08 AM
ROBBEN ROBBEN! :D

:-p

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 08:19 AM
the Dutch are lucky not to be a man down by now...some silly tackles going on by De Jong

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
what a way to start the second half...own goal by Denmark #_#

Trader Joe
06-14-2010, 08:27 AM
It's only exciting if someone wins.

That's just stupid to say.

Now, I'm not going to argue that this was the most exciting game of all time, but the final twenty minutes or so we're incredibly action packed and tense. Both teams had chances to win the game in those final twenty minutes and I was absolutely on the edge of my seat.

It might have slightly failed to live up to the hype placed on it, but to paint with such a broad brush and say that a sporting event is only exciting if one of the teams wins is not even close to being a true statement.

Mourning
06-14-2010, 08:34 AM
the Dutch are lucky not to be a man down by now...some silly tackles going on by De Jong

True, true. He should definitely hold back QUITE a bit. The Danes aren't quite angelic themselves either though.

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 09:12 AM
and the Dutch finish with the W...can't say anyone would be surprised with the victory...thats for sure...

Mourning
06-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Well... I've seen us play way better before, but 2-0? I'll take it :D.

Lucky with the own goal. Could have made a few more with a little more luck OTOH aswell. So, I guess 2-0 is pretty much fair.

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 09:17 AM
yea that own goal definitely opened things up a bit for the Dutch...
next match - Japan vs. Cameroon...
I'm rootin' for Cameroon in this one...they usually have a nice style of play...

Mourning
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm rooting for Japan. I don't think they have EVER won a game on a WC not played in Japan/South Korea.

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 09:49 AM
by the way - I forgot to mention before...the jerseys of USA looks like they are running for a beauty pageant or a bunch of toy soldiers..can't say i liked it...

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Cameroon doesn't look good at all...
Japan being just a little bit better with the finish gets them a 1-0 lead...

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
this is probably the worst world cup ever...the quality of play has been lackluster at best...

Trader Joe
06-14-2010, 11:20 AM
this is probably the worst world cup ever...the quality of play has been lackluster at best...

We're four days in.........

Give it a little time.

Once these teams start getting into their second and third games they will start to gel and the quality of play will greatly improve.

Suaveness
06-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Plus they need time to figure out the Jabulani...

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I just don't understand why they need to reinvent the ball for every single tourney...its killing the game - the players always have to go through adjustment to the new ball...makes no sense really...

Chewy
06-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I just don't understand why they need to reinvent the ball for every single tourney...its killing the game - the players always have to go through adjustment to the new ball...makes no sense really...

Adidas has to make money.

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Adidas has to make money.

they can still make money...just change the outer look of it...they don't have to change the whole feel of the ball...

Mourning
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
100% aggreed!!!

they can still make money...just change the outer look of it...they don't have to change the whole feel of the ball...

Trader Joe
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh BTW, I don't care if the vuvuzela is part of South Africa's culture, it's the most annoying thing I have ever heard in my life and probably the least inspired symbol of cultural significance I have ever seen.

bellisimo
06-14-2010, 02:00 PM
im starting to become numb to it.... #_#

Trader Joe
06-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Congratulations on the most well known piece of your culture being a three foot long piece of plastic that the rest of the world hates with a passion...

I mean honestly, if I was in charge for South Africa I'd be kind of embarrassed by the vuvuzela.

Chewy
06-14-2010, 02:41 PM

I said it half jokingly, but seriously not many would buy the same ball just painted different, it would still be the same ball, not the "most accurate" ball ever according to adidas.

Anyway i hope it's not the balls fault and just nervous first games, Germany looked fine passing and dribbling it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs638.snc3/32035_399661663788_661683788_4265980_4667925_n.jpg

Chewy
06-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Just played with the equalizer on my tv, setting the 1Khz and 3Khz frequencies to minimum helped a little. Adjusting treble might help also

The Hustler
06-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Dutch dangerous as ever even without Robben. Will be interesting later on in the tornement to see if their defence struggles at all. Can't say Denmark posed any problems today.

Cameroon and Italy were both disappointing today. Neither were nearly potent as was expected. Germany is really the only team that has completely shined, followed by Netherlands.

I too am hoping that play picks up. I think people are too quick to blame the ball, i know for a fact a ridiculous ammount of research and technical analysis went into that ball, not saying it's perfect, but it's certainly not just a marketing gimic.

I personally think that the altitude is probably playing a large part as well!

Mourning
06-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Altitude is a factor too, yes. I heard a lot of Danish and Dutch players complain about that after their game. Lucky for us we will be playing on lowland atleast the two next games :D.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Lets go Brazil and Ivory Coast! :D

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Really looking forward to the Ivory Coast v Portugal match today.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 07:10 AM
not really expecting much from NZ vs. Slovakia...we'll see what happens though...

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 07:32 AM
New Zealand might be one of the biggest underdogs of the tourney but they came out with a purpose...lets see if the ball will favor them today for their tempo...

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 09:14 AM
New Zealand deserved that draw considering that the goal by Slovakia was offside...nicely done NZ...

The Hustler
06-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Pleased for New Zealand. They worked hard and looked organised considering they are such massive underdogs even to get a point in this World Cup. I'm happy for them.

On a different not, this world cup hasn't exactly been thrilling so far! The quality of play by a lot of teams and the overal lack of spark by a lot of teams, not least my beloved England, has been a disappointment so far, for me at least. Hopefully Brazil, Portugal and Spain will bring things to life a little bit!

So far 10 games and exactly 20 goals. One possitive is, I can't see that ratio staying so low for a long time.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
i think the vuvuzelas, the ball and the altitude providing a lot of reasons for the lack of quality on the pitch - add to the fact that most teams are playing to not lose instead of playing to win...this is what you get...

but yes - its been a disappointment so far as no single player has really caught my eye...this is the chance for everyone to shine and show what they can do on the world stage...yet people have been rather quiet....

Suaveness
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I have to agree, the quality has been poor. But this is the first set of games, so hopefully they pick up with game 2s. This Portugal/Ivory Coast game is another boring one so far.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I have to agree, the quality has been poor. But this is the first set of games, so hopefully they pick up with game 2s. This Portugal/Ivory Coast game is another boring one so far.

I thought its been a bit more active than the previous matches...although its been a battle in the midfield moreso than action in front of the goal...

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Drogba getting the love from the crowd - they managed to be louder than the vuvuzelas...wow. :D

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
if Keita was in the match from the start Ivory Coast would have won this match without a problem...the dude can create chances...

The Hustler
06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
It might be ironic to say this after a 0 - 0 draw, but at least that game showed some quality.

I also agree with Bellisimo that the way people are playing, so far at least, has been to avoid losses. I think it should deffinitely improve when people are having to win to stay in the competition!

Chewy
06-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Ronaldo, it's really a shame that such a world class player is also a world class flopper and whiner, i can't like a player like that no matter the talent.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Looking forward to a pounding given by Brazil...hoping there will be lots of goal ala Germany Vs Australia

Mourning
06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Well... I expect that tonight will be the second time North Korea starts a war. I expect them to fully entrenched. I don't know about Brazil, maybe they will pound the PRC, but there's a decent chance they will go like 1-0 or 2-0 without it being joyfull to watch. We'll see. It's only the first round of groupplay. Most are trying to play it as safe as they can. I just hope the likes of Italy will regret that later on.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Ah man what a BORING first half.
seriously its like nobody came to play in this world cup....all the players are just sleepwalking....are the vuvuzelas putting them to sleep or what?

Brazil looks like a second division squad - come on...they gotta step up their intensity...its as if nobody wants to win this year...*sigh*

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 04:15 PM
that first goal *which was not really expected to be honest* broke open the game...it was an interesting last 10 minutes with Korea scoring that goal...
gotta give props to Korea for not being a pushover...

Trader Joe
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Belli, I think you just gotta have some patience, we're still in the first game cycle.

bellisimo
06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Belli, I think you just gotta have some patience, we're still in the first game cycle.

in the last world cup - after the first round of the group stage...there were 39 goals scored...so far with only 2 matches left for the completion of the first round in the group stage...there have been only 23 goals...thats 16 goals less in 14 matches...the average is down by more than a goal a game...

this is not me about having a patience - this is about seeing matches in the world cup that bores hardcore fans like me...if im having a hard time watching a game, how is a casual fan supposed to feel and like it?

The Hustler
06-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree with belli.

Its also not just about the goals, the standard as a whole seens to be down, in my opinion. I'm sure it will improve. I just hope it does soon, i've waited a long time for this world cup!

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 04:46 AM
lets see how Spain does today...don't think their group should give them much trouble to be honest...

Rupert Stilinski
06-16-2010, 07:14 AM
I expect a good game out of Chile/Honduras.

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Chile came out guns blazing

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
I like this match so far...they came to play and are going around making plays, runs and being active on the pitch...finally a world cup worthy match...lets see if they can keep it up for 90 mins.

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I was rooting for a draw towards the end but Chile definitely deserved the victory. Why can't other teams plays this agressively?

The Hustler
06-16-2010, 09:20 AM
At least a more exciting game, Chile worth the win, and should deffinitely have scored more.

Ivory Coast used too play more like that, part of why I liked them, until they got 'Sven'ed.

Sanchez looked like a handy player going forward.

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
lets see what Spain has in store for us today...will Villa finally be one of the few forwards that will actually manage to score a goal in this WC?

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
what a clusterf**k of a goal that way by the Swiss...

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
well...the pressure is definitely on for Spain now...
once again the big dog forwards coming up empty...
Spain will definitely not want to see the stat that shows whoever lost their first match in WC never won the cup...

bellisimo
06-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Uruguay = Vuvuzela silencers!

Trader Joe
06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, they might be my second favorite team now just because of that...

(No I still love the Dutchies!)

Suaveness
06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Uruguay = Vuvuzela silencers!

Boy, it was pretty remarkable how quickly those things stopped buzzing when that 3rd goal was scored.

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 05:12 AM
should be a good day of matches today.
South Korea isn't really a pushover but I expect Argentina to pull out the victory...
I think Nigeria can and most likely beat this Greek team. They look lost out there...
Think Mexico will overcome France and win...

Mourning
06-17-2010, 07:01 AM
I agree mostly with Belli.

Argentina will beat South Korea and until the first goal falls the Koreans will make it pretty tough for Maradonna's guys.

Nigeria should beat Greece, but they better be well aware of their own defense and keep the number of screwups to a minimum. IF they manage that they should pull out the win by penetrating the massed Greek defense atleast once, otherwise it will be a draw.

I think France will beat Mexico. Experience, overall more quality and a sense of poise to get out of the group phase should be enough for France now. After the Groupfase it totally depends on who they will meet.

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 07:50 AM
such an unlucky own goal there...the dude didn't even move

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 08:42 AM
if Argentina is not careful they are going to lose points from this match...S.Korea is building confidence as time goes on...

Frostwolf
06-17-2010, 08:59 AM
...and just like that, it's 4-1.

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 09:00 AM
yup...game over....

second round of matches definitely started with goals...8 goals in the first 2 matches...

Trader Joe
06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
yup...game over....

second round of matches definitely started with goals...8 goals in the first 2 matches...

See, just gotta have a little patience.

Pig Nash
06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Stupid red card for Nigeria, Greece may still have a chance.

Suaveness
06-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Greece is going to win. Having 10 players is killing Nigeria

Pig Nash
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
And Greece tie it up right before half. They'll have 45 to win it.

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Greece taking full advantage of Nigeria's blunder...

Suaveness
06-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Can someone explain to me how many subs you can make throughout the game? First half/halftime/second half?

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 11:00 AM
3 in total - doesn't matter when you do it during the game.

Chewy
06-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Can someone explain to me how many subs you can make throughout the game? First half/halftime/second half?

3 subs in a game

Pig Nash
06-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Greece finally breaks through in the second half. Bad luck for the Nigerian goalie. He's been really good in the first two matches.

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Kaita pulled an Artest and disappointed his whole country....

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
this world cup is definitely a cup of firsts....

Trader Joe
06-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Nigeria=epic fail

Suaveness
06-17-2010, 12:17 PM
3 in total - doesn't matter when you do it during the game.

I thought it was 3. I was confused by the pre-cup friendlies where we had more than 3 subs into the game.

And yeah, Nigeria totally blew this. Or rather, the guy who got the red card. What a waste, they should have won.

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
in friendlies it can be either unlimited or a limit of 5...depending on the type of a friendly it was agreed upon.

Suaveness
06-17-2010, 02:57 PM
That makes sense. One more question...if a player gets injured and has to be replaced, it counts as a sub, right? So, if you've used all 3 of your subs and a player gets hurt, then you're stuck with 10 men?

Fra vs Mex is pretty entertaining IMO. 0-0 still, but at least each team is getting down the field.

ilive4sports
06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
And it looks like France is done.

Trader Joe
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I like watching ze Frenchies lose.

Suaveness
06-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Bye bye. Nobody likes France (except when visiting as a tourist...I love crepes).

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 04:55 PM
That makes sense. One more question...if a player gets injured and has to be replaced, it counts as a sub, right? So, if you've used all 3 of your subs and a player gets hurt, then you're stuck with 10 men?

thats right...you would be left with 10 men.
and for a team to be able to continue they need to have atleast 7 players on the pitch...

so for example you made 3 subs...then all of a sudden you get 3 red cards and a player gets injured...you're stuck with 7 players...should another player get injured and can't play any longer or if someone gets a red card...it is a 3-0 forfeit.

Suaveness
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
thats right...you would be left with 10 men.
and for a team to be able to continue they need to have atleast 7 players on the pitch...

so for example you made 3 subs...then all of a sudden you get 3 red cards and a player gets injured...you're stuck with 7 players...should another player get injured and can't play any longer or if someone gets a red card...it is a 3-0 forfeit.

Has that ever actually happened?

bellisimo
06-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Has that ever actually happened?

happens all the time to me in Fifa video games :D

but for something in real life...check this out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jan/06/spain-referee-jose-manuel-barro-escandon-recreativo-linense-saladillo-de-algecirasr-d

Mourning
06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Ha ha, I've had better days predicting outcomes! France pretty much eliminated. Nigeria losing to Greece because one of Nigeria's players let himself be provoked into kicking some annoying Greek jerkplayer. Argentina winning in nice fashion over South Korea like they are hardly there.

It definitely was ones of the more interesting days IMHO :).

rexnom
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Greece still alive! Woo!

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 04:02 AM
it certainly was a good day of football yesterday!

Question of the day: Which player has caught your eye the most in this tournament so far? I thought the Nigerian goalie was top notch until that blunder with that second goal that cost them the match...

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Forlan certainly had a good game

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 07:42 AM
this ref is definitely yellow card happy....

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Wow, Klose thrown out. The ref is yellow happy, but Klose has to be smarter than that. You know the ref is being card happy, why would you do that?

bellisimo
and Germany is now 10 men...lets see how the Serbs take advantage of this...
this Spanish ref is trying to damage "zee" Germans...you never know...

EDIT: and just as I said it - Serbia takes the lead 1-0!

The Hustler
wow

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Serbia scores!

DaveP63
France looked like absolute crap. Completely disjointed play and uninterested in playing hard. Mexico, on the other hand, looked very competative.

Suaveness
and Germany is now 10 men...lets see how the Serbs take advantage of this...
this Spanish ref is trying to damage "zee" Germans...you never know...

EDIT: and just as I said it - Serbia takes the lead 1-0!

Well the ref is calling eeeverything as a yellow card

DaveP63
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
The Germans are screwed, me thinks. We'll see...

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Well...Germany losing is good for the US for sure...Serbia needs to keep this up

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
if the ref keeps this up we might have that disqualification we were talking about before Suave... :D

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:05 AM
its also good to see that Australia had as much to do with Germany's first game than Germany just being dominating...

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
this ref must have been cuddled when he was a little kid...a milk drinker is what he is...any contact and its a foul/yellow/red card...crazy

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 08:09 AM
this ref must have been cuddled when he was a little kid...a milk drinker is what he is...any contact and its a foul/yellow/red card...crazy

This is why it's good to be a wolf.

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Germany though, even with 1 man down, still managed to get a few really good shots on goal there at the end. Germany is more than capable of still tying this up. They aren't Nigeria, who went down like a sweet muffin.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
yep even with a man down Germany will not be a pushover...however I think Serbia can and most likely will punish Germany if they become a bit too reckless and offensive minded....

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
this match would make a good drinking game...whenever there is a card you take a shot

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Boy, Germany is GOOD. They're still playing better than Serbia, even with 1 man down. They're really taking to Serbia.

Penalty to Germany!!!

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Blocked!!!! Wow!!

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:37 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA - Serbia needs to realize this is football not handball!

And Germany MISSES the Penalty! OH MY! What a match!

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I tell you, Germany is going far. They are just beautiful to watch.

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Serbia almost goes up 2 nil. Good game.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Serbia gets close yet again...should be an interesting last 20 mins

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 08:54 AM
this Serbian goalie doesn't look confident at all - still amazing how he managed to save a penalty!

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:12 AM
and its over folks...Germany loses...wow...this world cup is definitely something...

good luck to you guys in the upcoming match...the way things are going right now - I would not be surprised if you guys end up drawing against Slovenia...

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Germany must win against Ghana next match. I'm going to assume Ghana and Slovenia will both beat Australia. Lucky for Germany, they beat the crap out of Australia.

And yes, go USA!! A loss is unacceptable. A 2nd tie is not acceptable either, IMO. We need to win to show we are a worthy world cup opponent.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I think Australia will bounce back against Ghana...I don't think they are as bad as they looked against Germany. They definitely need to get rid of that stupid offside trap that they were trying to implement in defense and they should be a bit better....they need Kewell in the game for some fire power...

Trader Joe
06-18-2010, 09:26 AM
and its over folks...Germany loses...wow...this world cup is definitely something...

good luck to you guys in the upcoming match...the way things are going right now - I would not be surprised if you guys end up drawing against Slovenia...

God, I hope not. I will be so depressed the rest of this day if we don't win. Goodbye advancing if we don't.

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
God, I hope not. I will be so depressed the rest of this day if we don't win. Goodbye advancing if we don't.

We can draw and still be fine, assuming we win our next match and England wins both of theirs, which is a plausible scenario. However, I'd rather not go into our last match without a win. We're supposed to show that we've improved, and that means beating teams we're supposed to beat.

Trader Joe
06-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't want to take that chance...

Is the ESPN3 feed up yet? I'm not getting anything.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:36 AM
dunno i'm watching the euro feed of bbc

Trader Joe
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5299507/ce/us/work-suffers-parties-thrive-world-cup?cc=5901&ver=us

Everyone should read that article, it's really cool, talks about people around the world being united by the Cup and things like work taking a backseat.

Trader Joe
06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Dempsey has to be careful jeez.

Mourning
People who can't find a livefeed... try this one with links for people from all over the world:

http://footballfeed.net/2010/06/netherlands-denmark-live-stream/

It says Netherlands-Denmark, but it will switch to whichever game is being played ;).

Pig Nash
Just be glad the Germany/Serbia referee isn't calling this match.

bellisimo
almost a fight in the first minute...wow

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM

haha...true

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
First set piece. Can USA capitalize?

bellisimo
I still can't get used to US's jerseys...that beauty competition style is killing me...

Mourning

OR that HORROR of a Russian Ref. we had in the last 16 match in the 2006 WC against Portugal... My god. That was the. Worst. Referee. Everrrrrr :arrgh:.

Mourning
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
I still can't get used to US's jerseys...that beauty competition style is killing me...

:spitout: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Still hope they advance though.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
OR that HORROR of a Russian Ref. we had in the last 16 match in the 2006 WC against Portugal... My god. That was the. Worst. Referee. Everrrrrr :arrgh:.

if anyone needs a reminder...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NeOoJ2SQTTo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NeOoJ2SQTTo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Nope.

And I think the jerseys would be better if the stripe started not on top of the shoulder, but at the arm like the ones they're emulating:

http://thefastertimes.com/westerneurope/files/2010/02/www-droppingtimber-com-2009-11-usa-world-cup-jerseys.jpg

Mourning
06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Ewwww.... please, no :suicide3:

if anyone needs a reminder...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NeOoJ2SQTTo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NeOoJ2SQTTo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Nope.

And I think the jerseys would be better if the stripe started under the arm like the ones they're emulating:

yup - thats more proper...this one just looks bad.

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM
And the sad thing is that Nike got it right once with the Don't Tread on Me jerseys:

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123037/2156589/2167378/2168475/08_ThrowbackJersey.jpg

So many teams where blue. I think this would really stand out and be a classic world cup jersey (by US standards at least).

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Damnit. Gotta come from behind now...