PDA

View Full Version : I just dont get it

Sollozzo
07-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Why didn't we just sign Jackson?! I asked this question earlier, and then someone said that Jackson was getting 44 million, which is what people thought a couple weeks ago, which made perfect sense. But then it comes out that we just gave him 38 million and that puzzles me. I just cant believe why we would trade Al Harrington for a player we could have just signed with our own MLE.

Rumor has it that the Pacers are one of the teams that wants to trade with Atlanta if they sign Dampier. They should have just held on to Harrington to do this, or tried to work out a deal with GS to get Dampier. I think we could have done it with Pollard and Harrington, but if that didnt work, we could have done Harrington, Croshere, and Foster for Dampier. It basically would have just been Croshere and FOster, because Harrington was gone anyway.

I just think management blew it here.

Hicks
07-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Money
AJ
Money

We weren't going to add $6 to team payrole. Plus this assured Jax came here instead of somewhere else. But mainly, money. I think Jax was pretty interested either way.

SoupIsGood
07-29-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm so glad we got AJ locked up for 4 years, I like how he plays.

bulletproof
07-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Pacers couldn't afford to take on the additional salary. They already have the 5th highest payroll in the league. Plus they saw this as an opportunity to grant Harrington his wish to be traded to a team where he could be a starter. And you don't know what could have been worked out with GS. Had they signed Jackson and held onto Al, there's no guarantee they could have worked out a deal with them. And Donnie isn't going to sign Damp to a long-term contract, if he tries to sign him at all.

Bball
07-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Donnie Walsh has a history of taking care of his own players. You might call it 'overpaying'. Therefore, our flexibility is limited when trying to keep the salary under a certain threshold.

Therefore, trading Harrington was a wash on the books as far as taking on new salary with SJack.

The Pacers have a history of not using their exemptions at all. Just giving AJ what they did was a bit out of character.

-Bball

Misspelled exemption