PDA

View Full Version : Mathis skips OTA's wants new contract

Basketball Fan
05-26-2010, 10:00 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100526/SPORTS03/5260354/1058/SPORTS03/Colts-Mathis-stays-away-from-OTAs

Finding the money to re-sign quarterback Peyton Manning apparently isn't the Indianapolis Colts' only offseason concern.
Zoom

Money matters: Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Mathis, due to make $2.31 million this season, is avoiding voluntary team workouts. - Matt Kryger / The Star
Related Information

more newsInside: Even if the Colts wanted to sign a veteran free agent, they couldn't right now. Find out why. B2

Robert Mathis' desire for an enhanced contract has resulted in the team's two-time Pro Bowl defensive end avoiding the ongoing organized team activities, according to an individual with knowledge of the situation.

The on-field, non-contact practices are voluntary, but Mathis has been a diligent participant in the past.

The Colts have held three of their nine OTA sessions, and a fourth is Thursday.

The team does not comment on contract issues and Mathis could not be reached.

Mathis, 29, has two years remaining on a front-loaded $30 million contract he signed in 2006. He's due a base salary of $2.31 million this season and $2.4million in 2011.

The team's 2003 fifth-round draft pick has been voted to the past two Pro Bowls and ranks second in club history to Dwight Freeney with 63 sacks.

It's uncertain whether the Colts will consider renegotiating Mathis' deal. They are committed to making Manning the highest-paid player in NFL history this summer -- his contract expires at the end of the 2010 season -- and all contract issues regarding veterans might be on hold until Manning's situation is resolved.

thewholefnshow31
05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
The Colts need to play hard ball with Mathis. The guy is a product of Dwight Freeney and every single time he was given the chance to step up for this team he has failed. A few years ago in the playoff game against the Chargers he was shut down. Against the Saints he was shut down. The guy just cannot get consistent pressure without another DE out there taking the focus away from him.

The Colts should not give Mathis a contract extension. Just call his bluff and when Hughes is out there tearing it up Mathis will be expendable.

travmil
05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Robert's agent should point out to him exactly how many times a player did this to Polian and had it work out well for them.

Sollozzo
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Call his bluff

Pointz
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
The guy signed a 5 Year/30 million deal in which he got most of the money up front and wants to renegotiate now that he is towards the end of the deal...We just drafted a DE who is of the same mold and he is supposed to help mentor but he could just learn on the fly. Sounds like Mathis got his money and now just wants more he can hold out if he wants. We got his replacement. Call the bluff.

Sollozzo
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
He's the one that decided to sign a front-loaded contract. He got a lot of money early on and now he has the audacity to be PO'd that he's not making that much annually in these last 2 years? He agreed to a 30 million dollar contract and that's what he'll be paid in the end. What does he think, that you can front-load a contract and then try to get out of the last years where it doesn't pay as much? I have zero sympathy for him, and I bet Polian doesn't either. He'll call the bluff.

Suaveness
05-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Isn't this what Andre Johnson is doing too? Yeah, it pisses me off when you front load a contract and expect to get a new contract when you make less money later on. Just STFU and play out your contract.

Basketball Fan
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Isn't this what Andre Johnson is doing too? Yeah, it pisses me off when you front load a contract and expect to get a new contract when you make less money later on. Just STFU and play out your contract.

He did but later decided to return to camp

SoupIsGood
05-26-2010, 08:49 PM
He agreed to a 30 million dollar contract and that's what he'll be paid in the end. What does he think, that you can front-load a contract and then try to get out of the last years where it doesn't pay as much? I have zero sympathy for him, and I bet Polian doesn't either. He'll call the bluff.

Exactly. I would understand if Mathis had signed a contract he had by far outplayed, but this is bull****. Front-load it, and then hold out once the contract gets smaller? Polian has to call his bluff. If he's willing to sit out the season, then so be it. He's not Pro Bowl-good anyway.

Day-V
05-26-2010, 09:26 PM
He's not Pro Bowl-good anyway.

He's made the Pro Bowl the past 2 season. Granted, a lot of that IS thanks to Freeney, but you can't say someone isn't "Pro Bowl-good" when they've done it the past 2 seasons.

SoupIsGood
05-27-2010, 05:45 AM
He's made the Pro Bowl the past 2 season. Granted, a lot of that IS thanks to Freeney, but you can't say someone isn't "Pro Bowl-good" when they've done it the past 2 seasons.

Fine. He isn't as good as his two consecutive trips to the Pro Bowl would suggest.

Sollozzo
05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
My guess is Mathis knows in 2 years when he's 31 and Hughes has a couple years under his belt that we won't be offering him much of anything so he's trying to hold us hostage now and get what he can before it's too late. I bet Polian won't bite though.

Mr_Smith
05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Next man up....Jerry Hughes!

CooperManning
05-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Whatever, Mathis will be back. Am I the only one excited about adding Jerry Hughes, Bob Sanders, and Pat Angerer to a defense that lost only one game it tried to win?

Natston
05-29-2010, 04:27 AM
I'll pay attention if he starts skipping training camp...

Shade
05-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Agreed with everyone else. Call his bluff.