PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else surprised we have not done more?

Doug in CO
07-29-2004, 10:38 AM
I have to tell you - our off season has been a bit uninspirational. And no, I do not think we will trade Ron - the problem with trading Ron is we will never get equal value for him.

I guess we have to hope that Bender can stay injury free for more than 5 games in a row. If he plays 70 games and contributes heavily, we will threaten 60 wins - if not, well it could be a frustrating season.

DisplacedKnick
07-29-2004, 10:44 AM
To be honest, after winning 61 games I'd have been worried if you'd made a ton of changes.

Trading a SF, Al Harrington for Jackson was perfect. While Harrington is a quality player, probably marginally better than Jackson, you're dealing something you have a lot of for something you lack.

I don't see dealing Artest as an option at all. Now if you can somehow get Dampier I'd say you've had almost the perfect offseason.

If you want to look at a team needing changes that hasn't done anything, look at the Knicks.

RimBender
07-29-2004, 10:46 AM
To be honest, after winning 61 games I'd have been worried if you'd made a ton of changes.

Trading a SF, Al Harrington for Jackson was perfect. While Harrington is a quality player, probably marginally better than Jackson, you're dealing something you have a lot of for something you lack.

I don't see dealing Artest as an option at all. Now if you can somehow get Dampier I'd say you've had almost the perfect offseason.

If you want to look at a team needing changes that hasn't done anything, look at the Knicks.

Exactly.

zxc
07-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I don't know what is to be suprised about. Coming off last season I don't see why anyone would have expected any dramatic changes to the team this offseason.

Doug in CO
07-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I expected us to get some quality with the MLE - hell, even Bob Sura would be an upgrade

bulletproof
07-29-2004, 11:00 AM
I expect more will happen in mid to late August.

Suaveness
07-29-2004, 11:01 AM
:rolleyes:

diego
07-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Well i think people need to realize we may not win 60+games again next year, but i think the addition of Jackson will help us come playoff time, which is really what it is all about.

I would like to see us get another big body to compete with the frontcourt of Detroit, but not at the expense of making drastic changes.

able
07-29-2004, 11:08 AM
I must say I agree, we've done enough.

OK I admit, we didn't get back an overseas playing rookie and called him the second coming. we didn't re-sign our PF and called it a major improvement and we did trade away a SF/PF who played starting minutes and got back a SG/SF who will come of the bench... playing starting minutes.

Oh I forgot, Al was important, he scored massive amounts of points, never got nicknamed blackhole, was a great passer and definitely one of the most sharing players on the team and happy in his role. Certainly not a threat to lockerroom atmosphere.

We also drafted a big guy who will be at the same stage our previous one was 12 months ago, so that's the same as last year.
We replaced on PG with another to play 3d fidel, at least this one knows he's the third and has no immediate aspiration to become the first.

</sarcasm>

We've done more then enough and whatever happens to Ron, I am sure it will not happen if the price is not right and yes, I'd consider Peja a "right" price, the man can simply shoot the lights out and whatever we loose on individual defense we gain in offense and then some.
Most seem to forget the importance of spreading the floor for this team. though JO improved greatly this past year in his skills and willingness to past out of the post (something I'm sure will improve even more) our biggest threat lies in havng outside scorers opening up the middle for JO, when the Pacers are on offense the opponent can't have it both ways, either defend the shooter and let JO score, or 2x/3x JO and hacve the shooter score.
Tins showed in the playoffs what he was made of, his games against Miami were fabulous and his penetrating skills on display as well as his shooting. If he shows us 75% of that during the regular season we have one of the most dangerous PG's in the league.

Jackson, behind Reggie, can show us what he's made of, though I doubt we would get a refund if he turns out to be a bust. but is adding on defense (just in case we lose some defense somewhere) FJ is only getting better, certainly on defense, JT shown great improvement and will show more, JO and Jeff do not need further explanation.

Our bench is not depleted, in fact it is so good still that we are discussong 3d stringers because there is nothing else to discuss.
We may not like the Cro contract but he is a decent player of the bench, has a lot of upsides and will undoubtedly improve. Bender is the "big questionmark" but if he just stays healthy and continues on the path he took the last part of the season he will make us forget Al faster then you can say "told you so". FJ, need I say more? AJ and EG have their work cut out and I am sure EG will put pressure on AJ (smart move) to be at his playoff best and more all season, iow we have a real battle for backup PG on our hand.
Polly, I admit, I still have hopes for him, someone with such a sense of humor can not be as bad as he has shown last year, expect more from him this year, Harrison will have to work hard to get by him, healthy situation for both. JJ was good in rookie camp, so after the summer will be even better, watch out for that one to keep SJ honest.

What more do we want?

Would we really have a hard time if Ron is playing? no
But then again, if he gets traded for Marion/Pierce/Peja we are not growing weaker either, so as long as we get that kind of value back IF he is traded then we are still a very serious contender with the only "nasty" thing around the corner being the new divisions, where Det and Indy are not only the two best of the East but will also have to slug it out way to early in the playoffs.

I can only say, I wish it was October already!

indygeezer
07-29-2004, 11:43 AM
I can only say, I wish it was October already!
--------------------------------------------------

Amen, to that!!

I HATE August (more freaking racing for one thing).

As for the team movement, when does camp start? Donnie has said in the past that he likes to have people in place a month ahead of time. That is so they aren't distracted trying to find a place to live and relocate their kids (if needed). He doesn't always follow that , but generally I think he'd like to.

As for Ron, my gut still says he's going to be shipped, but who REALLY knows. It may be a situation where it's seen as desirable, but if the right deal doesn't happen, they won't jump off the bridge.

[The only good thing now is that nothing is happening so I can go practice with my bow (it's almost time for the tree-people to erupt), If I only had a place to practice without worrying about a neighbor walking out their backdoor. sigh...did I mention I hate August??]

>>>------->

Hicks
07-29-2004, 11:59 AM
geezer I think you're right, Donnie has said he likes to finish player movement a month ahead of training camp.

Well, TC starts at the very beginning of October.

So I'm going to be looking for something to happen from the 16th and for about the next 3 weeks. If nothing's happened in those 3 weeks, what you see is what you get.

beast23
07-29-2004, 12:24 PM
There is a lot of pressure on Bender and Pollard to contribute this season.

Let's face it, by trading Al we helped soldify the backcourt at the expense of our frontcourt.

We have Foster, JO and Austin in the frontcourt to cover PF and C. That is the sum total of our dependable frontcourt players at this time.... not a lot of depth.

If Bender is not able to step it up and provide some minutes at PF or Pollard is not able to provide some adequate minutes at C, we may run into some problems.

That is a pretty big risk. So I wouldn't be surprised if Bird and Walsh worked another trade to acquire some beef up front. Or maybe wait to see what they will get from Bender, and if not enough, deal him.

Lord Helmet
07-29-2004, 12:37 PM
I really don't want us to change anymore.If we can get Damp or a decent C without trading Ron I will be happy.All we need is for Bender to contribute decent numbers and a C that can score.I still love the Fiesty one though.

waxman
07-29-2004, 12:51 PM
I'd be extremely happy if this is what we accomplished in the offseason....we addressed a need at the perimeter... drafted a big guy with alot of potential that could help out this season....and didn't break up a 60+ win team.

Will Galen
07-29-2004, 01:08 PM
If I only had a place to practice without worrying about a neighbor walking out their backdoor.

Hmmm, catch 22 huh!