PDA

View Full Version : Gill signs contract

Kegboy
07-29-2004, 12:32 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/gill_signs_040728.html

Job Security Welcome
for Well-Traveled Gill

By Conrad Brunner | July 28, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In his relatively brief professional basketball career, Eddie Gill has seen a lot. Hes played in two foreign countries and four domestic minor leagues, not to mention three NBA teams in the past four seasons.
With the Pacers, however, Gill has something entirely new: security.

The 25-year-old point guard signed a contract, reportedly for one year and $720,000, on Wednesday afternoon. For the first time, he will enter a season with an NBA home.

Im thrilled about this and Im excited for the opportunity, said Gill. It has been a long road to get a commitment from a team like this and Im looking forward to it and Im going to make the most of it.

With incumbent starter Jamaal Tinsley and backup Anthony Johnson already under contract for 2004-05, Gill becomes the third veteran point guard on the roster.

Its a perfect situation not only for him but for us because hes the type of player that doesnt make a lot of mistakes, hes very coachable, hes worked his way from the minor leagues to the major leagues and I think hes going to have a great opportunity to step in and show us what he can do, said Pacers President Larry Bird. Ive seen him play a lot of games, a lot of summer league games and it seems like every team hes with, they win.

The 6-0, 190-pound Gill was undrafted out of Weber State where scouts focused primarily on high-scoring teammate Harold Arceneaux in 2000. He played in eight games with the New Jersey Nets late in the 2000-01 season, averaging 4.9 points and 3.0 assists before heading to Italy. He appeared to enjoy a breakthrough with Memphis in 2001-02, averaging 5.0 points and 2.1 assists in 23 games after signing with the Grizzlies in February, but was cut in training camp the following year. After bouncing around several teams and countries in 2002-03, he landed with Portland last season, averaging 2.3 points in 22 games. Included in that stint was an eight-point, 10-minute outing against the Pacers in March.

His NBA career has been primarily notable for the fact he scored the 8 millionth point in league history for New Jersey against Boston on April 15, 2001. He would play just one more game with the Nets.

Ive got a greater appreciation about the NBA and basketball in general, said Gill if his travels and travails. This has been the ultimate goal ever since I came out of college. Ive bounced in and out throughout my career, but it makes me appreciate the game more and it makes me more hungry.

I feel like Im plenty good enough to compete at a high level. I dont necessarily want the spotlight, but the respect I think I deserve and think I can command once given the opportunity.

Aside from his NBA experience, Gill has played professionally in Italy and Greece. In the U.S., he has played with Bismarck (ND) of the CBA, Las Vegas of the IBL, Kansas City of the ABA and Asheville (NC) of the NBDL.

Its been kind of stressful but at the same time its been fun, Gill said. Ive seen different countries and my family has seen different places. Im grateful for every opportunity that Ive had and I look forward to this one.

I feel like this team plays together defensively and offensively, from what Ive seen. I thought they were one of the best defensive teams in the league and I like to pride myself on my defense. I think its a perfect fit, in that sense. I think Ill be able to contribute by playing hard every day, being a good team player and helping guys out.

:applaud:

DEEman
07-29-2004, 11:06 AM
i havent seen him play, its actually the first time i hear/read his name.

Is this a good move?

Lord Helmet
07-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Just another back up PG.

Kegboy
07-29-2004, 05:45 PM
i havent seen him play, its actually the first time i hear/read his name.

Is this a good move?

As I've already said, I was impressed with him when Portland was here in March. From the article, sounds like I wasn't the only one. :cool:

Lord Helmet
07-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Any word on Kenny Anderson?Has he signed with another team yet?

Hicks
07-30-2004, 02:02 PM
No word, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in New Jersey. Although now he may not want to go since it's clear they are no longer about winning.

Unclebuck
07-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I keep racking my brain trying to remember the Pacers - Blazers game when Gill played well, and I don't remember that game, must not have been there in person, but I know I watched it.

ChicagoJ
07-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Was that the game with the cheap flagrant on Ron against Derek Anderson?

I can't really remember the first half of that game either - I wonder if I was at the office late and just started watching at the beginning of the third quarter... I have to do that occasionally. :blush:

Unclebuck
07-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Was that the game with the cheap flagrant on Ron against Derek Anderson?

I can't really remember the first half of that game either - I wonder if I was at the office late and just started watching at the beginning of the third quarter... I have to do that occasionally. :blush:

Yes that was it. That is the only thing I now remember about that game. Pacers must have had a comfortable lead.

Ragnar
07-30-2004, 05:47 PM
I remember it. He managed to blow by AJ. I guess they thought that was amazing considering AJ's incredible foot speed.:hmm:

Anthem
07-30-2004, 09:48 PM
So Gill is our 3rd-string PG, right?

I mean, last year we thought AJ was third and he locked into second. Any chance of that happening again?

Kegboy
07-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Yes, it was the Artest flagrant game. Gill did his damage in the second quarter.

Everything the Pacers said implies they expect Gill to keep improving as a player. However, I don't know if I want him supplanting AJ at #2 after that big contract we just gave him. And before the AJ detractors say anything, I think he'll return to his early season form now that he's had a chance to rest that abdominal that bothered him since late December.

Anthem
07-31-2004, 12:11 AM
He was pretty good before the ab injury.

I was one that didn't think he was very good after it, though.