PDA

View Full Version : What does Bender have to do?

Hicks
07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
What does Bender have to do in your eyes to have a successful season next year. What kind of stats should he have, and what should you see from him.

For me, I want to see Al Harrington numbers. 13+ppg, 6+rpg, 25-30mpg. And in Bender's case 1+bpg.

Past that, I just want to see him continue to be aggressive, be opportunistic, and continue to play smarter.

SoupIsGood
07-28-2004, 07:03 PM
I want to see Bender add a couple pounds and show he can play PF, along with those stats you wrote.

However, what if Bender finally does have this breakout year we have been dreaming of? What if he proves that without a doubt, he should be in the starting line-up. What do we do then? Is O'neal moved permanently to center? Or do we trade Artest? What do you think?

Suaveness
07-28-2004, 07:08 PM
I want to see him actually play an entire season. That might be asking too much of him though...

SjA3837
07-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I think we should then have the Line up as....

Tins/Gill/F.Jones
Artest/Miller/Jackson/F.Jones
Bender/Jackson/J.Jones
JO/Cro/
Foster/JO/Pollard

And whoever else is on the roster

Jackson would be coming off the bench; But he said he's ok with it. And it's not like he wouldn't get minutes backing up both of them.

MarionDeputy
07-28-2004, 07:11 PM
I'd just like to seem him stay healthy and active for the year. I think Harrington numbers aren't that tough of a goal if he stays healthy. It will also be interesting to see if he gets Al minutes though, with SJax and Reggie both playing that should eat up some of Al's old minutes.

Jose Slaughter
07-28-2004, 07:53 PM
The only number I'll look for is games played.

Lord Helmet
07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
13-16 ppg 5rpg 3-4 apg and he has to play an entire season.

Hoop
07-28-2004, 09:14 PM
1. Stay healthy
2. Develop a post game, some PF skills
3. 9-12PTs 4-5REBs 2-3ASTs 1.5-2BLKs

Really, I don't think this is asking to much.

RimBender
07-28-2004, 09:21 PM
13-16 ppg 5rpg 3-4 apg and he has to play an entire season.

If he does that he'll win Most Improved and 6th man of the year.

I just want him to get at least over double digits in scoring, 3 boards, an assist, and a block and I would be thrilled. Coming off the bench is no easy job, you get cold shooting very easily.

If you look around the league its hard to find another Bender (with his help defense blocks). Maybe Tim Thomas or Lamar Odom would be close, but neither play help defense like Bender, but they do have range and athleticism like him.

He's my favorite player :rockon:

Go JBender!

MSA2CF
07-28-2004, 09:26 PM
If Bender can get to the FT line consistently, I'll be very happy. (Take into account what he needs to be doing to make it to the line.)

sweabs
07-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Personally, I would like to see Bender contribute off the bench not only with Harrington-esque type numbers, but also bring that energy that Al brought (most of the time).

I'd also like to see more of Bender at the 4 spot because of his shot blocking ability, and I will be crossing my fingers that he stays healthy.

tseramid
07-28-2004, 11:02 PM
I'd say, bring an offense spark off the bench, become more consistant and keep the turnovers down. That's a pretty decent role for a 6th man. If he can do that and stay healthy, it will be a successful season for him. Maybe not breakout, but successful nonetheless.

Roaming Gnome
07-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Reallisticly...

1. 15 min/game
2. 8pts/game
3. 4reb/game
4. 1ast/game

MOST IMPORTANT...CONSISTANT MINS. NO INJURIES!!!

Ultimate Frisbee
07-28-2004, 11:10 PM
1.) 25 min / game (every game)
2.) Improve defense or develop into an unstoppable offensive force
3.) 13 ppg
4.) 5 rpg
5.) 1 bpg

ChicagoJ
07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
I'd like him to not the league in "injuries per 48 minutes."

RimBender
07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Reallisticly...

1. 15 min/game
2. 8pts/game
3. 4reb/game
4. 1ast/game

Although I have lots of faith in Bender, I think those stats may be exactly right. Jackson is gonna eat up alot of minutes basically taking Al's.

Hicks
07-28-2004, 11:33 PM
15 minutes a game? He got more than that last year I think. No way it goes down...

beast23
07-28-2004, 11:37 PM
For those that will be satisfied with his sustained health for 82 games, I think that is letting him off the hook way too easy.

For me, that is only a very minor part of the equation. I'd dump him in a trade if he is not able to accomplish ALL of the following:

1. Sustained health over an entire season.

2. Man-to-man defensive abilities to meet Carlisle's minimum standards, whatever they may be. And, continue his good habits pertaining to help defense.

3. A willingness to "engage" and mix it up, not just occassionally, but EVERY game out.

4. Enough improvement that Carlisle is able to have him on the floor for 18-20 minutes per game.

5. Statistics 10 ppg 5 rpg. Assist to TO ratio of at least 1.5 to 1.

Enough patience has been shown. It's time to crap or get off the pot. Anything less, and I'd get rid of Bender. And, I think that if Bender is not able to mee whatever standards Bird/Carlisle have set for him, he'll be gone by the trade deadline in February.

RimBender
07-28-2004, 11:39 PM
15 minutes a game? He got more than that last year I think. No way it goes down...

He had 12.9 minutes last year AND still scored 7 a game, which IMO is pretty darn good.

Hicks
07-28-2004, 11:51 PM
OK.

Still, I think he'll get closer to 25mpg than 15mpg.

RimBender
07-28-2004, 11:54 PM
OK.

Still, I think he'll get closer to 25mpg than 15mpg.

I'm hoping he does...but who really knows. I'm sure if he shows something special his minutes will go up and if he shows nothing his minutes will go down.

tora tora
07-28-2004, 11:55 PM
learn to play defense on his FEET.. stop falling for the pump fake

Young
07-29-2004, 12:00 AM
- Stay healthy [70+ games.]
- Imporve Defense. Like Charles Ingalls said.
- Be consistnat.
- Add Pounds. This would allow him to play PF and be injured less, maybe.
- Be aggressive. I think he showed some improvement here last season. Although I don't remember him much because of injuries.

ChicagoJ
07-29-2004, 12:18 AM
He's dropped so low on my radar, that until he proves that he's healthy the other criteria doesn't matter. IMO, we need a backup SF that can play the eight to ten minutes per game that Ron sits. SJax and James Jones might be able to split those minutes.

Kegboy
07-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Force Croshere from the regular rotation. :p

ABADays
07-29-2004, 12:22 AM
What do I want from Bender? I want him to become a man and quit looking like he's ready to pee his pants when he's on the court!

Roaming Gnome
07-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Reallisticly...

1. 15 min/game
2. 8pts/game
3. 4reb/game
4. 1ast/game

Although I have lots of faith in Bender, I think those stats may be exactly right. Jackson is gonna eat up alot of minutes basically taking Al's.

I should have been more specific, but my numbers are more like minimums for me to view Bender as having any degree of sucess come seasons end. So 15 mins seems like I am undercuting him, but they are the least I expect for Bender...If I were to view it as being a "sucessful season" for him. Now, if you are talking the "Breakthrough" that we were expecting the last few years...Well, Hicks numbers kind of spring to mind.

Gotta learn to crawl, before you learn to walk in Bender's case...

waxman
07-29-2004, 01:18 PM
70+ games.... 25+ minutes per game.... 13pts, 5bds, 2 asts, 1.5 blks, 1stl......

If he doesn't get these minutes split between SF, and PF there are problems.

Bball
07-29-2004, 06:18 PM
"What does Bender have to do?"

Show some heart and desire... show some balls. He can't wilt from competition. Game in and game out he should show those things.

-Bball

PacerBlade
07-29-2004, 06:35 PM
I hope Croshere won't eat his minutes!

Bball
07-30-2004, 12:29 AM

I have a better answer than what I said previously.
------------------------------------------

Become a basketball player instead of just a guy who can jump well.

-Bball

Hicks
07-30-2004, 12:34 AM
But Bender does more than jump well. He has 3 point range, he blocks shots, and last year he finally started showing aggression in posting up and going for rebounds. Sounds like a basketball player to me.

Anthem
07-30-2004, 12:50 AM

Cro doesn't need to be moved out of the rotation.... just out of the FORWARD rotation.

Croshere should try banging like a center. I'd rather have him there, with the occasional pop out to the three-point line.

Didn't he used to have a post move? I seem to remember the entire team standing around watching him destroy Horry.

Bball
07-30-2004, 01:17 AM
But Bender does more than jump well. He has 3 point range, he blocks shots, and last year he finally started showing aggression in posting up and going for rebounds. Sounds like a basketball player to me.

Yeah, I know... but he hasn't proven he can put it all together and be a SOLID basketball player (and not a H.O.R.S.E. champion). ...And that is my point. Everyone is pointing to minutes or points or whatever. Those things will come if Bender can put it all together. That is something that he has yet to do.

IOW, what I will be looking for is a confident basketball player with some fire in his eyes. If I see that I won't care so much what his point total is because we know those things can come.

I do think some here need to dial back the expectation meter. Bender probably never will be that superstar some expected. Can he be a solid role player who can come off the bench and get some important points and maybe a block or two and impact the game? I'm skeptical... but we've invested so much in him that I guess we have to play it out. The injury and new coach bought him some time I guess.

I'm skeptical because I don't know that Bender can become physical (and mentally tough) enough to make a difference in an NBA that is now going to be shooting for the Pistons.

-Bball

Hicks
07-30-2004, 02:33 AM
I think he will finally put it together now because this will be the first time he will have a clear, defined role which gives him good minutes. He's had the minutes before, but they were sporadic and he had no clear role. Now his role is to basically fill Al's shoes, and he should get a large, consistent role every night, and I think this new level of consistency is what will finally allow him to start putting his game together.

ABADays
07-30-2004, 09:26 AM
He needs to act like a player, Hicks, instead of someone in a perpetual shoot around or pre-game warm-up.

beast23
07-30-2004, 09:36 AM

Cro doesn't need to be moved out of the rotation.... just out of the FORWARD rotation.

Croshere should try banging like a center. I'd rather have him there, with the occasional pop out to the three-point line.

Didn't he used to have a post move? I seem to remember the entire team standing around watching him destroy Horry.
The problem that this team might have is its lack of quality depth in the frontcourt.

We can talk about what we think Bender can become all we want, but unfortunately as we sit hit here today, the best player we have to back up C is also the best player that we have to back up PF.... and that is Croshere.

If at least one of Bender or Pollard does not step up, then we have big problems and a trade WILL be made.

I'm a Bender basher, but the best thing I see for this team is for Bender to do as you suggest. Become the best man to put on the floor at PF, and leave C to Croshere.

Of course, it might just be me, but I think the best possible solution is to acquire Dampier without having to give up either Artest, Croshere or Foster.

McKeyFan
08-04-2004, 07:03 PM
What do I want from Bender? I want him to become a man and quit looking like he's ready to pee his pants when he's on the court!

Exactly.

We should have traded Bender two years ago.