PDA

View Full Version : If the NBA held a one-on-one tourney, which 8 players should be invited?

Slick Pinkham
07-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Something I'd like to see more than slam dunks or skills contests or 2-ball at the all-star game would be a one-one-one contest.

Tell me who should get the invitation, a top 8.

me first, with seedings:

1) Garnett (hard to stop down low, and handle to get it there)
2) Tracy McGrady
3) Kobe
4) Ron Artest (how would you like HIM guarding you!)
5) LeBron
6) Iverson (too small to win it though)
7) Pierce
8) Nowitski (probably can't defend enough to win it)

others to consider: Carmelo, Wade, Baron Davis, Steve Francis, Latrell Spreewell...

RimBender
07-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Michael Finley.

SHAQ! HAHAAHAH!!! He would be unstoppable, Can you hack a shaq in this tourney?

SjA3837
07-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Jonathan Bender... He's shown some of his skills. Just not his team ball yet. He and Kevin would been unstopable.... Jon can shoot it and if not, he can just drive it on and dunk on you...

indiana_07_pacers
07-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Joe Johnson or Rashard Lewis

Kegboy
07-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Decent list, though I'd replace Irk with 'Melo. He's got the range of skills you'd need to excel in such a competition. That last game he had against Ron is the stuff that causes nightmares. However, I have a hard time seeing anyone beating KG.

But then, the league would probably fix it to have Bron and Melo in the finals. :devil:

RimBender
07-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I think the tourney would be won by someone who is quick, strength doesn't really matter when you can't get a body on the guy.

So I would have to go with B Diddy AKA. Too Easy AKA. The Bodyguard to win it, he is quick and excels at one on one and using his body against defenders. Plus he can play some crucial defense.

Kobe and Tmac would be at the top of my list also. Garnett's length and athletic ability would really help him in this.

Anthem
07-27-2004, 11:34 PM
It would probably be best to have 3 classes... power player, swingman, and guard. Kidd may be a good defender, but you won't see 1-on-1 with him guarding Shaq. Either he steals the ball 20 feet out or he gets destroyed in the post. No middle ground.

Anthem
07-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Also, I'd love to see no refs. Call your own.

diego
07-28-2004, 12:45 AM
OK. Here is the breakout and results. All games to ten, no refs, and its make it take it.

Centers/Power Forwards:

Shaq vs. B. Miller > Shaq wins after Brad fould him hard and Shaq knocks his head off:laugh:

Yao vs. Elton Brand > Yao wins 10-6 as Brand cant stop the chinese hook

Duncan vs Dirk > Duncan wins 10-9 by blocking a last shot attempt of Dirk and dunking on his dome

JO vs Rasheed > Rasheed gets too high before game and loses by forfeit because he gets the munchies and eats the basketball while having an adverse reaction to the synthetic leather he also grows another bald spot

Big Ben vs KG > Ben wins as he grows out a 12 foot afro not allowing KG too see the rim and causing him too airball his last shot...ben wins 10-9

Ilgauskas vs Stoudamire > Ilgauskas suffers from chronic court toe(very similar to turf toe) and cries as he gets beat 10-4

Round 2

Shaq vs Amare > Shaq dominates the youngster 10-2 and since they had a pre game bet, Amare has to get i love Shaq tattoed on his right butt cheek

Yao vs JO > JO wins 10-6 because Yaos agent calls him midway through game to inform him the chinese government has banned him from playing on olympic team as he has become to american forcing Yao to join clinic for deep depression immediatley following the game

Duncan vs Big Ben > What can I say, Afro wins again it appears unstoppable

Round 3 (round robin between the final 3 to determine winner)

Shaq vs JO > JO wins 10-9 as Shaq gets sidetracked on game point by the local ice cream truck driving by and runs after to eat his favorite ice cream treat

Shaq vs Ben > Ben dominates him because while eating his ice cream, Shaq couldnt get enough and decided to eat the whole damn truck leaving him lethargic for the game

JO vs Ben > JO wins as Ben realizes after all this time that his damn barber shop trophy love commercial really sucked and that it was a cover up for his real true love longing>>>>that he just wants to be a disco queen.

Ok someone else can do SF/SGs.;)

Unclebuck
07-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Kobe would beat McGrady in the finals

Slick Pinkham
07-29-2004, 09:25 AM
After starting the same thread at Clutch City, I'm getting royally roasted for including Ron Artest.

They don't think he belongs.

I don't think he's an overall top 8 player (shot too erratic, anger issues) but I think that 1-on-1 he's one of my top 8. No screens to fight through, stop your man off the dribble, score in the post (since jumpshots would be pretty irrelevant in 1-on-1).

I think he belongs, and I'd replace Dirk with Marion.

Slick Pinkham
07-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Rumor has it that the 2000 Olympic Team, while training, had a one-on-one contest.

The winner, apparently easily, was...

Vince Carter