PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com Revue Writeup: Goodbye Brewer, Hello Wright

Anthem
07-27-2004, 03:30 AM
That's about as clear as it gets. See ya, Jamison.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/summer_wrapup_040726.html

Wright - I think he held steady and he improved each game, Burke said. He really concentrated hard on what we wanted from him and he looked more comfortable each game. He was in good shape and the feeling I got from him is hell come into camp in even better shape and really work. Hell knock down open shots. Last year, a lot of teams doubled off our point guard. I think he can keep teams like that honest. He needs to learn to be more balanced on both ends. He was going in a hurry all the time. But he got the ball to the guys we wanted to get the ball to and he seems to read the defense pretty well.

Brewer - The most disappointing performance was that of veteran point guard Jamison Brewer, who was 8 of 37 from the field (.216), 1 of 12 from the arc (.083), 2 of 10 from the free-throw line and committed 29 turnovers (an average of 9.5 per 48 minutes).

I think he thought he had to come in and take over games, said Burke. He had trouble with tempo and the pace of the game and reading defenses. Hes just got to realize its not about him beating his man. Hes got to organize. Hes got to sense when the other team gets six straight points weve got to come down and get something sensible. His games at a standstill. Hes athletic and hes got length but he struggles with his shot and he does not understand the mentality of that position.

----------

Jones, Harrison and Wright are certain to be in training camp in October. Among the free agents, Recker and Adam Harrington both had impressive moments but indicated they may pursue other options. Its unclear if any of the remaining free agents, including Brewer, played well enough to merit an invitation.

That's a blow. Turned down a million-dollar offer, then don't even get invited to training camp. Have fun in Europe, Jamison.

able
07-27-2004, 04:54 AM
looks like that (Europe) indeed, but don't knock it completely, Italian and Spanish teams pay very well to, no doubt his contract would not be far of (if at all) from a million there.

Italian, Spanish and other countries have leagues that are paying good money to people that would not get that much in the states, they just don't have the higher salaries the NBA has, but Brewer would be a top guard in Europe and demand a very nice paycheck.

if that is all he was after, which I doubt, if he invested his earnings over the previous years not to stupidly then he already made a working class life salary or even more.

Roaming Gnome
07-27-2004, 07:25 AM
:signit: Euro Contract :signit:

Snickers
07-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Brewer may be gone, but I doubt Wright gets a sniff of an NBA contract either.

Grant
07-27-2004, 11:40 AM
It does seem unlikely that the last pick of the second round would make the team, but the Pacers carried 4 PG's last year, and right now all they have is Tinsley and AJ.

They need at least one more PG, and Wright might be the guy by default.

Snickers
07-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Tinsley starts, AJ gets the backup minutes, Gill goes in when the other two are tired/crappy, and in an emergency, Freddie can take over for a few minutes at a time.

The only way that doesn't work is if one of them has a long-term injury. But in that case, we'd be no worse off with a 10-day contract guy that we'd be with Wright.

Bball
07-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Didn't the team say some unfavorable things about Brewer last year... or maybe really talk up other PG's (Cook?) and then in the end Brewer's option was picked up? ...or was Brewer already under contract?

-Bball

PacerBlade
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Goodbye Brewer, Goodbye Wright, Hello Gill

Snickers
07-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Didn't the team say some unfavorable things about Brewer last year... or maybe really talk up other PG's (Cook?) and then in the end Brewer's option was picked up? ...or was Brewer already under contract?

-Bball

I remember him as having a guaranteed contract last summer. But you make a good point, I wouldn't put it past Larry/Donnie to use a crappy summer league performance as a means to save a few k.

Or maybe he's involved in a deal for Dampier!! :o :p

ChicagoJ
07-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Brewer had a guaranteed deal. Early in camp/ preseason, Omar outplayed him. By the end of preseason, they were both pretty bad - Omar had played his way back down to Brewer's level, so the Pacers kept the guy with the guaranteed money.

beast23
07-27-2004, 05:30 PM
And......

Goodbye Wright, hello Gill.

Doug
07-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Maybe it's not about the money for Brewer. Maybe he wasn't turning the money down because he thought he could get more. Maybe he just wants to play, CBA, NDBL, Europe, whereever, for however much instead of sitting.

I'm not sure whether to add a smilie to that or not. I was being sarcastic, but it could be true...

ChicagoJ
07-27-2004, 06:33 PM
I'll sit on the bench for that amount of money and I'll bet I can match Brewer's FG% and three-year assist totals.

:p

JOneal7
07-27-2004, 10:26 PM
pacers should sign me...I already have the fame of NBA stars. Why not stick me on the bench or out in garbage time to sell tickets? :D!
lol

Snickers
07-27-2004, 10:59 PM
If they give me a weekly hair gel salary allotment, I can fill Sigg's role as the team "cool hair" guy.

TheSauceMaster
07-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Can't said I will shed a tear honestly:laugh: