PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Why did you choose your username?

Shade
02-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I've often wondered where some of these usernames come from.

You share your story, and I'll share mine. :flirt:

Hicks
02-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Since late '97/early '98, I was Hicks007. In some places I still am.

Hicks is for Corporal Hicks in the movie Aliens, which at the time was my absolute favorite film.

007 = James Bond. 'Nuff said.

I slapped them together early in my computer-using career, and thought it looked like a very legit "internet name", so I stuck with it.

A couple years ago, more and more people kept just referring to me as "Hicks", so now I typically just stick with that.

MagicRat
02-03-2004, 02:01 PM
http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/Jungleland.html

Hicks
02-03-2004, 02:07 PM
I live in Bloomington.............and I like the Colts..........and it flows better than btownpacer.

That's it.

I'm creative.

:blush:

If you ever feel guilty about having it be "colt" instead of "pacer", you can always do what I did and drop the last half of the name.

I think I always refer to you as btown anyway. :cool:

ABADays
02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Because I could never get beyond A and B in the alphabet.

Actually, it should have read A Bad Day but I can't type.

indygeezer
02-03-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm old and I live in Indy. Didn't like Indycodger or Prunejuicegrandpa.

Whatelseyawannaknow...sonny?

Ragnar
02-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Character from my favorite book Atlas Shrugged (http://www.atlasshrugged.tv/), Ragnar Danneskj÷ld. Most people who use a character from that book choose John Galt or Francisco dAnconia I chose Ragnar.

I was using flpacerfan but I moved back to Fort Wayne and could not really use that anymore. Plus fwpacerfan was already taken and we agreed so much that is sometimes looked like double posts :unimpressed:

obnoxiousmodesty
02-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Because obnoxiousmodesty describes me perfectly.

sixthman
02-03-2004, 02:55 PM
I was pacerfan on another board or two. When I signed up on the IndyStar board the name was taken as were other names fairly close. So searching for a handle, "sixthman" popped into the brain - nobody had it, and the rest is history, as they say. Now I kind of hate it when at Pacers games I'm called out to stand up and cheer by Reb Porter or whoever it is who is doing the PA announcing. :)

Alabama-Redneck
02-03-2004, 03:07 PM
The first part is rather obvious (I live in Alabama). The 2nd part is a joke. It is kind of like calling a fat guy "skinny" or a tall guy "shorty".

I am a reasonable well educated individual (Purdue grad) and was a pretty successful engineer before retirement at age 54.

I try to enjoy life too the fullest and I have succeeded so far.

:dance: :pepper: :cool:

Doug
02-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Years ago, when I was just a lurker, I always respected the folks who posted under their own name - Scott, Ben, and others. So, when I finally got up the courage to actually post - the depth of Pacer knowledge around here can be pretty scary at times - I picked my own name. If nothing else, it keeps my posting style pretty close to my real life personality. I view it as an extension of me, not as an alter-ego.

ABADays
02-03-2004, 03:23 PM
But it says ABADays on my drivers license.

DisplacedKnick
02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
When I started out as Rimfire I used to target shoot and that was what I shot.

I don't any more so I thought this was more appropriate.

Plus maybe it'll get people (Arkman, Jose) to QUIT SAYING I'M A CLOSET PACER FAN!!!!

Hicks
02-03-2004, 03:25 PM
When I started out as Rimfire I used to target shoot and that was what I shot.

I don't any more so I thought this was more appropriate.

Plus maybe it'll get people (Arkman, Jose) to QUIT SAYING I'M A CLOSET PACER FAN!!!!

It's OK, you can tell us. We're all friends here.

BigMac
02-03-2004, 03:42 PM
BigMac-my favorite Pacer of all-time. George McGinnis.

Southside_Pacer
02-03-2004, 03:45 PM
I live on the southside.......and I'm a Pacers fan........and there ya have it. :laugh:

MagicRat
02-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Years ago, when I was just a lurker, I always respected the folks who posted under their own name - Scott, Ben, and others. So, when I finally got up the courage to actually post - the depth of Pacer knowledge around here can be pretty scary at times - I picked my own name. If nothing else, it keeps my posting style pretty close to my real life personality. I view it as an extension of me, not as an alter-ego.

In keeping with this philosophy, I'm thinking the mayor needs to be replaced with a real photo.......

Natston
02-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I started out as badinfluence at starnews and PD versions 1 and 2 because I am a big fan of Eminem (and his song Bad Influence). At the start of PD version III, I wanted a screen name more personal to me and I remembered the title of a reality show about Chuck Woolery that was on the Game Show network. Thus "naturallystoned" was born. Some people think that I am a stoner when they look at me (it's not a good thing). I'm almost always laid back except during Pacer and Colt games. My contacts will make my eyes look "stoned".

Most days this is what I look like happy or sad... :unimpressed:

Shaggy
02-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Kill Bill Walton comes from two things I did not care for in 2003. I just put them together.

Hopefully Kill Bill Part 2 is better than Part 1 and also I hope that Bill Walton takes a flying leap.

OK. I don't hate the guy ...

Kill Bill (Walton)

ChicagoJ
02-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Mine's farily self-explanatory. My seats are in Section 222. It evolved from Jay@Aisle20, and for a short time I think it was Jay@Aisle20.com.

Its been a long time ago, but I think at that time, the Indiana's Game forum at IS "required" the username to be an e-mail address. At first, I was naive enough to use my real account. It got flooded with R-rated responses questioning my credibility, which was a rampant problem of the forum at that time. Anyway, I figured out that I could "trick" the system as long as I used the "@" symbol and the Aisle20 moniker was an effort to try to promote my own credibility since I was actually going to/ watching the games (unlike some of my accusers.)

The fact that I stopped posting over there almost immediately after I constructed a name I liked is a different boring story.

dipperdunk
02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Wilt, as you can tell creativity isn't one of my strong points. :)

Doug
02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
In keeping with this philosophy, I'm thinking the mayor needs to be replaced with a real photo.......Fred will do for now, even though I don't think that picture looks much like me. Fred's better looking than that picture. :-) Besides, I'm in the pictures from the last forum gathering.

Doug
02-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Humm.. That pictures slighly better. I'll keep looking.

Stryder
02-03-2004, 04:33 PM
A different take on the Tolkien's spelling of Strider/Aragorn.

able
02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Hmm tempted though I might be, this is not an unrated story.

abel is my real name and at age 15 living happily in the Netherlands I met two "Daytona" girls, sisters mind you, who, late at night, I brought back to the Rotterdam "Hilton" (by train) when invited up, (parents in Amsterdam) the "ladies" (16 & 17) spoke out loud wondering whether abel would be able.

next morning on my way home a small not gave me the name for my company and what was later to be my internet name for many a year.

On the IS board I added (un) because the knowledge held by many was/is awesome and because I was humbled in that view whilst adding the fact that I was "unable" to attend the games.

(or even see them for that matter)

<shrug> strange how things stick with you over time :)

ABADays
02-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Mm-hm - yeah right!

Suaveness
02-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Because I'm Suave, baby :cool:

MSA2CF
02-03-2004, 11:13 PM
The Pacers moved from Market Square Arena 2 Conseco Fieldhouse... :dance:

wickedstick
02-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Mine comes from a golf course out around myrtle beach. My grandfather and my Dad went out there for a week or so and played at this course. John Daly has some ties to it. Anyways in the picture there was the sign for the golf course, I liked the design. So that is where I got mine.

MagicRat
02-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Humm.. That pictures slighly better. I'll keep looking.Here's the best one I could find......

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/Doug2.jpg

Natston
02-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Humm.. That pictures slighly better. I'll keep looking.Here's the best one I could find......

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/Doug2.jpg :laugh:

BayouPacer
02-04-2004, 12:58 AM
I am a misplaced Pacer fan living in Louisiana. How cliche.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 01:04 AM
I used to go by Pacersforall, but that was too much like so many others.

So I changed it to Unclebuck. I wish I had some interesting story as to why I picked that, but I don't.

I was just thinking and for some reason Unclebuck came to mind, I liked the movie, and the name is distinctive, so I rather like the name now.

Doug I think you look more like Eric Piatkowski

MagicRat
02-04-2004, 01:31 AM
Doug I think you look more like Eric Piatkowski

I don't know. I'm not really seeing it...... :whoknows:

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/doug3.jpg

Arcadian
02-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Another creative name...I live in Arcadia.

Doug
02-04-2004, 12:12 PM
LOL!!!!!

For what it's worth, my wife doesn't think I look much like either.

I think there's more of a family resemblence with Piatkowski - Fred's nose is a little off. There was a picture last year (can't find it now) Piatkowski looked very much like my cousin.

http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/piatkowski_gallery031212.jpg http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/piatkowski_gallery031121.jpg

Doug
02-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Since I apparently killed this thread, I thought I'd bump it. :-)

SycamoreKen
02-07-2004, 07:02 PM
No, I'll do the thread killing around here.

Mine is simple as well. I graduated from Indiana State and my name is Ken. It makes a very unique name and if you see it somewhere else it is probably me.

I have also gone under the aliases of PacerFanInSA and SycamoreInSA.

SycamoreKen
02-07-2004, 07:04 PM
http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/Jungleland.html

My second favorite Springsteen song after Born to Run. :guitar: :rockon:

Jose Slaughter
02-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Jose played with the Pacers during the dark years of the early 80's.

Slaughter was with the Pacers just one season (82-83) but it happen to be during the time that I went to as many games as I could.

The Pacer's finished with their worst record in franchise history that year at 20-62 & to say the least the team had very little talent, Slaughter was no exception.

What made Slaughter stand out was his defense. He played all out every minute he was out there. He had Heywood Workman's heart with out Woody's talent.

I've always had a weakness for the "fish outta water" type underdog. There's a pretty good size list of former Pacer's that fit into that catagory & Slaughter represents them.

Jose Slaughter
02-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Jungleland is also my 2nd favorite Springsteen song, after Thunder Road.

Anthem
02-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Ehh, hard to explain. The name comes from Cal Miller's "Singer" trilogy... a certain character named Madman has a personal transformation and is renamed Anthem.

It's actually pretty vain, which is why I don't often publicize. The story is a retelling of the New Testament, and Madman/Anthem = Saul/Paul.

More of an ideal than what I'm really like, I guess.

SoupIsGood
09-04-2004, 02:27 PM
I find this thread intresting, so instead of creating my own, I've bump it up like a 100 years.

Anyone else with intresting names?

Bball
09-04-2004, 02:36 PM
My username at the Star Forum was my initials. Then the forum updated software and I used the opportunity to change my username.
There's no story whatsoever about it tho... It was the first thing that struck me.

Since that time I've noticed someone else posting with what was my old username. I assume it is their initials too. Dunno...

-Bball

Ultimate Frisbee
09-04-2004, 02:43 PM
I have this strange obsession with the Pacers... hence...:laugh::laugh:

Vicious Tyrant
09-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Anthem, "the Singer" trilogy, eh? That's pretty obscure. Well chosen. What's the Tony Shaloub connection?

I picked mine b/c my grandma sent me one of those "christian" poster when I was a kid that was supposed to give the "biblical" meaning of your name. Maybe you've seen these things.

The poster had a cheesy sunset or something and said "Wally" meant great ruler or army leader or something like that. Since I have more than a passing familiarity with the Bible, I think I can say with some authority that there weren't many Wallys mentioned in the Bible, and the ones that were mentioned weren't great rulers.

Anyway, I thought a variation on that would be funny, at least to me.:laugh:

Pig Nash
09-04-2004, 03:14 PM
My last name is Hogg. The Nash is a name i got at school. No one ever calls me it anymore but i use it as my monocre.

DrBadd01
09-04-2004, 03:30 PM
From the Austin Powers series. However, I wanted a name that wasn't a direct rip off of Dr. Evil, so I choose the next best thing: Dr. Badd.

RimBender
09-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I saw the name in a old SLAM issue. It had a picture of JBender when he was in the dunk contest, and JBender is one of my favorite players, and someone already took MSA2CF :p

MSA2CF
09-04-2004, 05:36 PM
I saw the name in a old SLAM issue. It had a picture of JBender when he was in the dunk contest, and JBender is one of my favorite players, and someone already took MSA2CF :p

So you wanted this one? :surprised:

naptown
09-04-2004, 06:04 PM
I chose naptown because Samuel L. Jackson already took mine in Pulp Fiction...Bad Mutha Fu..er.

Jermaniac
09-04-2004, 06:28 PM
I dont know, I just thought Jermaniac sounded good

rel
09-04-2004, 06:34 PM
if u know about reggie...u would know where i got it from

RimBender
09-04-2004, 06:46 PM

No, it was a joke.... :cool:

MSA2CF
09-04-2004, 07:32 PM
and someone already took MSA2CF :p

No, it was a joke.... :cool:

Oh, okay. :flex:

NumberSeven
09-05-2004, 11:07 AM
When I changed my name on the IndyForum two years ago from Panther2, my son was seven years old, was #7 on his baseball team and #7 on his football team.

Lord Helmet
09-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Uhh..I'm a Pacers fan and I just put 2425 for no apparent reason.I may change the numbers though.

JOneal7
09-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Mine came from the writing on JO's Wristband. Which was my first real piece of pacer memorabilia I obtained. Plus he's my fav player so it goes without saying :)

indiana_07_pacers
09-06-2004, 10:10 PM
i like the indiana pacers and jo's number is 7

how creative :p

ImReppinBtown
09-07-2004, 12:31 AM
I live in Bloomington and I'm reppin it. Pretty easy right?

:hoosiers::pacers::colts:

Granville
09-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Former Pacers center Granville Waiters...a man who was probably bald in junior high.

Gyron
09-07-2004, 02:15 PM
double post..
Double post

Gyron
09-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, An old D & D name from high school.....yeah I was a nerd....And I used it most recently playing a online game called Everquest. The actual name of the character I played was Gyro Spynmite. kinda of a word play on dizzy stupidity I guess:)

Just kinda stuck with me when I needed a posting name on any internet board.....

J-Wont
09-07-2004, 02:26 PM
I was thinking trying to think up a username, my names starts with a J, so the first thing that came to mind was J-Will, however my last name doesnt start with Will and J-Will is pretty unimaginative so I just changed it to J-Wont.

Coach
09-07-2004, 03:31 PM
because that is what I do for a living.

sweabs
09-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Who do you coach?

Vicious Tyrant
09-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I was thinking trying to think up a username, my names starts with a J, so the first thing that came to mind was J-Will, however my last name doesnt start with Will and J-Will is pretty unimaginative so I just changed it to J-Wont.

Ha ha, I always assumed it was a reference to "Pig Will" and "Pig Won't" from the Richard Scarry books I used to read when I was a kid. They were kind of like "Goofus and Gallant" from Highlights.

Ah, childhood....

Coach
09-07-2004, 04:30 PM
A varsity high school team in the state of Indiana. (shall remain a mystery) :-)

MSA2CF
09-07-2004, 08:37 PM
A varsity high school team in the state of Indiana. (shall remain a mystery) :-)

How'd the team fare last season?

MSA2CF
09-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I've read some of those books you speak of, Vicious. :rockon2:

SoupIsGood
09-07-2004, 09:15 PM
While Soup IS very good, that's not the reason I chose my name.

I chose my name because that's what I wanted my name to be. It's just what popped in my head.

I had some soup the other day too. Clam chowder, very tasty, very satisfying.

cramerica
09-07-2004, 09:51 PM
last name + ica

RWB
09-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Red White Blue.....Many folks thought I picked this because of 9/11. While I have no objection to that thought I used RWB many years before we were attacked. Along the lines as some of the older guys who were fans of the Pacers back in the ABA days mine comes from the color of the ball.

Coach
09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately it was not a good one. Finished below .500 with a very young team.

skyfire
09-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Borrowed from the Transformers, Skyfire was defects from the Decepticons to become an Autobot. Hence he is one of the few flying Autobots.

http://unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/skyfire4.jpg

http://spores.net/Lex/skyfire.jpg

I started using the nickname after I went through a nostalgia phase a decided to rewatch transformers eps, reliving childhood whatever. For a while I was playing counterstrike on the net under [Autobot]Skyfire, this lead to general net use of the name and used it when i join PD.

ShadowKat
09-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Okay, time for a longwinded one.

I'm a SquareSoft devotee, and particularly a huge fan of <i>Chrono Trigger</i>, if any of you have heard of it outside my sig. :>

In <i>CT</i>, people and magic are classified under one of four elemental baises: <font color=yellow>Thunder</font>, <font color=red>Fire</font>, <font color=cyan>Water</font>, and <font color=blue>Shadow</font>. Going along with that, I pegged out <font color=blue><B>Shadow</b></font> as the one I most resonated with at the time.

As for the second part, I've always felt very feline. But in the last couple years I've concluded that it's not <I>full</i> feline; and besides, calling myself <B>ShadowCat</b> would have people thinking I'm Kitty Pryde. :P Thus the respelling <B>Kat</b>

An' there ya have it.

Liquid Slap
09-13-2004, 03:47 PM
My name is just what is says. It's a slap. But since it's wet, it hurts even more. So there you have it. Liquid Slap.

SjA3837
09-13-2004, 04:17 PM
sja= my initials 3837 = last part of my phone number =P

Snickers
09-13-2004, 07:58 PM
I invented the candy bar. :flirt:

MSA2CF
09-13-2004, 08:31 PM
I invented the candy bar. :flirt:

:lol2: