PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams to retire?

Stryder
07-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Just read on ESPN's site that Ricky Williams has told the Phins that he is retiring.

Drug issues?

No one retires at the top of his game, unless you're Barry Sanders...

obnoxiousmodesty
07-25-2004, 04:47 AM
Fascinating. Talk about out of the clear blue sky...

Miami Herald Sports (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/)

Kstat
07-25-2004, 04:52 AM
Social Anxiety disorder. If there's anyone that cant stand the spotlight, its Ricky Williams.

MSA2CF
07-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Ricky feels happy about his decision, and so do I.

ABADays
07-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Bye, bye Edge.

swoop
07-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Man, I can't believe this. 27 years old.

Ultimate Frisbee
07-25-2004, 01:01 PM
good thing we drafted james

obnoxiousmodesty
07-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Bye, bye Edge.
Yep. Anyone want to bet that Edgerrin won't be pushing for a return to his home state now that the Dolphins are in need of a star running back? Even if the Colts throw a franchise tag on James, nothing is going to keep him from Miami if he wants to go, and we all know he wants to go.

Best trade him now. Grab one of their corners and/or some high draft picks.

MSA2CF
07-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Patrick Surtain and/or Zach Thomas for Edgerrin floats my boat. :thumbsup:

Lord Helmet
07-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Only 27......:o

Suaveness
07-26-2004, 10:07 AM
I would love to get Surtain or Thomas.

Zesty
07-26-2004, 11:35 AM
I think this is a pretty neat story. Sucks to be a Dolphins fan right now, though.

Gyron
07-26-2004, 02:26 PM
I wish I could've retired at 27......

Lord Helmet
07-28-2004, 08:58 PM
I wish I could've retired at 27......

:laugh:

Hoop
07-31-2004, 01:40 AM
Williams says he failed 3rd drug test, faced suspension

From Star news services
July 30, 2004

Even if retired Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams changes his mind and decides to return to football this season, he will be forced to serve a four-game suspension after failing a third drug test for marijuana use.

Williams told The Miami Herald on Thursday that marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he originally indicated and he learned of a third failed test and upcoming suspension days before telling coach Dave Wannstedt he was quitting football.

Williams said, however, that there were "a hundred reasons" for his retirement and that his desire to continue smoking marijuana without inhibition was merely one of them. He said he was not addicted to the drug but didn't believe in government and NFL laws banning it. He said he had already decided to quit football before testing positive a second time for marijuana use last season and incurring a $650,000 fine.

He appealed that fine, flying to New York to argue his case before an arbiter, but received word last week that his appeal had been denied. While the appeal was pending, Williams said he continued smoking marijuana while on tour with rocker Lenny Kravitz in Europe and failed a third test upon his return. He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two seasons but didn't bother before the last such test after returning from Europe.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he said. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football."

Williams said the Dolphins didn't know of his third failed test. NFL confidentiality rules prevent teams from commenting on player drug issues, with a possible penalty of $500,000.
------------------

I like to burn one now and then too, but damn I wouldn't give up millions to. :omg: