PDA

View Full Version : Biggest MISSED shots in playoff history?

Hicks
07-24-2004, 06:46 PM
What are the biggest missed shots in playoff history that come to your mind?

For me it always starts with Reggie's missed 3 that would have won Game 4 of the 2000 Finals. Would have tied the series 2-2 instead of falling down 1-3.

Another is Robert Horry's in and out 3 in Game 5 of the 2003 semi-finals Lakers vs Spurs. The Lakers win that game, they probably take the series. A year later, Fisher's shot went in.

I also remember John Stockton missing a 3 that would have won Game 6 of the 1998 Finals. Game 7 would have still been in Utah......

ChicagoJ
07-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately, the one I always think of is:

George McGinnis vs. the Blazers in 1977. Dipper, your thoughts?

Breaks my heart every time I watch it on NBA's Greatest Games.

The thing is, you never know how things will turn out. If Chuck Person hits that three against Boston in 1991, then perhaps we don't trade him in 1992. Imagine the 1993-94/ 1994-95 teams with one more perimeter shooter, willing to play sixth man? And without trading for Pooh Richardson, we might have drafted NVE instead of Scott Haskins.

dipperdunk
07-24-2004, 07:14 PM

Luckily I was only 2.5 years old at the time of that series so I managed to avoid that painful moment. :laugh: My dad had to suffer the misery of that moment though plus Havlicek stealing the ball and about 30 other one point heartbreakers against the Russell era Celts. I had to suffer through all the one point heartbreakers to the Celtic teams of the Larry Bird era. :(

The one miss I think about right away was the Patrick Ewing miss when he missed that short finger roll layup at the end of a series in the early 90's.

Also Vince missed a jumper at the buzzer of game 7 in Philly a couple of seasons ago when the 76ers made the finals.

Will Galen
07-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately, the one I always think of is:

That's the shot I was thinking of. George missed a wide open 15 footer. Philly loses by two.

Sollozzo
07-24-2004, 11:39 PM
The Ewing Finger roll was against the Pacers in 1995.

That was one of the funny seeing Ewing go for a finger roll when he could have taken it in on the Pacers.

Some of the bigger Pacers misses were Mark Jackson missing a shot that would have forced overtime against Orlando in game 5 of the 95 ECF's and Reggie missing a loooong 3 that would have won the game in game 5 against the Hawks in 1996. Reggie was coming off of an injury, and played with so much heart that game.

Unclebuck
07-24-2004, 11:40 PM
I remember that shot by George McGinnis, let's see Jay, in 1977 we were 8 years old.

Kstat
07-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Joe Dumars.

He had a chance to win us a championship, down one point with five seconds left in game 6 back in 1988, and lost control of the ball near the FT line, and wound up throwing up some slop that barely got the rim.

Larry Bird.

Down by one point with one second left in game 4 back in 1987, he TOTALLY lost james worthy on the inbounds play, and got a WIDE OPEN look from the corner, but the ball clanked off the side of the rim at the buzzer. Had the shot gone in, the Celtics would have swept the middle three games, and gone back to LA up 3-2 instead of down 3-2.

Roaming Gnome
07-25-2004, 01:37 AM
What about the shot that ran Kevin Ollie out of town. You know the one where he should have shot 23' but only went about 21.5' against the Nets in that wild game 5 in 2001. I know that it is not one of the biggest in NBA History, but it was part of one of the best NBA games that I ever seen!

Hicks
07-25-2004, 02:00 AM
First of all it was 2002, not 2001 :p :D

Second, I don't remember a jumpshot being a foot too short, but I do remember a layup being a foot too short by him.

BrooklynJosh
07-25-2004, 08:58 AM
the one that replays a lot for me is game 7 against the knicks in 1994 --- Reggie missed (airballed in fact) a jumper that would have put the Pacers up 1 with seconds left - instead he missed it and then they called that ridiculous intentional foul on Reggie that ended all chance for the Pacers to win.

it wasnt a particularly easy shot - he was fading and guys were flying in his face... but that may be the most dissapointed i've ever been by a missed shot.

indygeezer
07-25-2004, 08:59 AM
It was this year, not missed but blocked, lay-up by reggie. It caused us to not tie the game. Momentum was in our favor and PERHAPS we could have won the game (See Kstat, I'm deferring to your opinion). A win in that game would have changed the ENTIRE outlook of the series, emotionally we would have had them over a barrel and who knows what could have happened from there (it might have been us wearing the CHAMPEENSHIP hats today rather than them).:cry:

SycamoreKen
07-25-2004, 09:20 AM
How about the same player missing more than one? Charles Smith verses the Bulls when he kept not finishing over and over again under the basket. Not that he got hacked or anything....:p.

Kstat
07-25-2004, 01:43 PM
How about the same player missing more than one? Charles Smith verses the Bulls when he kept not finishing over and over again under the basket. Not that he got hacked or anything....:p.

He didnt miss.....he was blocked twice and thr third time he was stripped. And I watched the replay from every concievable angle....every block was clean.

Kstat
07-25-2004, 01:45 PM
It was this year, not missed but blocked, lay-up by reggie. It caused us to not tie the game. Momentum was in our favor and PERHAPS we could have won the game (See Kstat, I'm deferring to your opinion). A win in that game would have changed the ENTIRE outlook of the series, emotionally we would have had them over a barrel and who knows what could have happened from there (it might have been us wearing the CHAMPEENSHIP hats today rather than them).:cry:

Reggie's layup would have tied the game, not won it. Also, we suffered so many "crushing" defeats in the playoffs, and yet every time we bounced back. Maybe it would have affected things, but its not a foregone conclusion.

MSA2CF
07-25-2004, 03:00 PM
It caused us to not tie the game.

Reggie's layup would have tied the game, not won it. Also, ...

Umm, that's what geez said. :innocent:

SycamoreKen
07-26-2004, 09:32 AM

He didnt miss.....he was blocked twice and thr third time he was stripped. And I watched the replay from every concievable angle....every block was clean.

If I'm not mistaken an blocked shot still counts as a miss doesn't it? And I was being sarcastic on the last comment, hence the smillie choice.

Kstat
07-26-2004, 03:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken an blocked shot still counts as a miss doesn't it? And I was being sarcastic on the last comment, hence the smillie choice.

It counts in the stat sheet, but not really as a MISSED SHOT, in the spirit of this thread, where people had chances to win a game and blew it. He didnt miss, he went up in traffic and somebody blocked it.

DisplacedKnick
07-26-2004, 03:21 PM

It counts in the stat sheet, but not really as a MISSED SHOT, in the spirit of this thread, where people had chances to win a game and blew it. He didnt miss, he went up in traffic and somebody blocked it.

Of course he went up in traffic like a friggin' pansy ...

Slick Pinkham
07-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I seem to recall about 17 of them by John Starks, in the same freakin' game!

SycamoreKen
07-26-2004, 03:58 PM

Of course he went up in traffic like a friggin' pansy ...

That's what I was referring to.

ChicagoJ
07-26-2004, 04:10 PM
The Ewing Finger roll was against the Pacers in 1995.

That was one of the funny seeing Ewing go for a finger roll when he could have taken it in on the Pacers.

Some of the bigger Pacers misses were Mark Jackson missing a shot that would have forced overtime against Orlando in game 5 of the 95 ECF's and Reggie missing a loooong 3 that would have won the game in game 5 against the Hawks in 1996. Reggie was coming off of an injury, and played with so much heart that game.

The bigger issue in the Altanta game was that
Mark Jackson just plain missed Rik Smits with a post-entry pass on two straight possessions in the last minute.

My seats were at the other end of MSA, I'll swear that Rik was held and just couldn't get to the ball, but Jackson missed him by a mile and there was no whistle. Twice. And got traded a week later for Jalen Rose. :o

Reggie did play like a hero that game, but IIRC, he didn't really have time to get set and he rushed that last shot; that's much more forgiveable than missing an open jumper in rhythym.