PDA

View Full Version : Hoiberg re-signs with the T-Wolves

Unclebuck
07-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Finally a reasonable contract.

Good for Freddie Hoiberg. One thing people don't realize about him: he is a much better defender than most think. The T-Wolves put Fred on Bibby quite often in the playoffs last season. Not saying he is a great defender, but he is quicker and a better athlete than most realize, so that makes him a "good defender" He is an excellent rebounder, he also takes a lot of charges.

www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/9231117.htm?1c

Hoiberg signs two-year deal to remain with Wolves

BY BOB SANSEVERE

Pioneer Press

In the end, Fred Hoiberg decided he liked it here. He liked playing with Kevin Garnett, Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell and the others. He liked how well the Timberwolves did last season. He liked their chances of winning an NBA title this season.

So he said no to two teams offering more money than the Wolves. And on Friday, he announced he was staying with the Wolves.

Hoiberg, 31, signed a two-year contract worth $3.36 million. He will receive the Wolves' $1.6 million salary cap exception this season and make $1.76 million in 2005-06.

"Had I left, it would have been about money,'' Hoiberg said. "Money can't buy happiness. My family is comfortable here.''

He talked about how he didn't want to uproot his wife, Carol, and four children, ages 15 months to 7 years old. His wife has relatives in Minnesota, and both his and Carol's parents live a few hours down Interstate-35 in Ames, Iowa.

"This seems the perfect fit,'' Hoiberg said.

Hoiberg's role with the Wolves isn't expected to change. A 6-foot-5 swingman, he will come off the bench and chip in as a scorer and defensive player. In 79 games last season, he averaged 6.7 points and 3.4 rebounds a game.

"Playing with Kevin and Sam (Cassell) and Spree, I fit in so well here,'' he said. "I didn't know how I would fit elsewhere.''

The Wolves were the only NBA team that actively pursued Hoiberg before last season. A nine-year veteran from Iowa State, he was planning to play in Europe when the Wolves offered him a contract. A sense of loyalty was another reason he decided to stay in Minnesota.

"The Timberwolves gave me a chance,'' he said.

And now he believes the Wolves have a chance to win their first NBA championship.

"We have a legitimate chance, especially with the breakup of the Lakers,'' Hoiberg said. "Hopefully, I'll get a ring and look back at how great a decision this was. If we stay healthy and have the same kind of chemistry as last season, we have a great chance.''

Wolves Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale called Hoiberg "a piece to the puzzle'' and added "he fits in very well.''

McHale said the next piece to re-sign is guard Trenton Hassell, who also has drawn interest from other teams. Last week, the Wolves agreed to a deal with point guard Troy Hudson, though the league hasn't approved it yet.

"Our top priorities were Hudson, Hoiberg and Hassell,'' McHale said. "The three H's. Hopefully Trenton will be the next guy we get done.''

Anthem
07-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Do they still have Wally?

Mourning
07-24-2004, 03:26 PM
I must confess I have always liked Fred AKA "The Mayor" Hoiberg, the guy plays with intensity and up to his potential. Seems like a decent guy to boost.

Please, don't come up with the "must be, because he's a white guy"-extremely lame argument to me, I hate that. Race shouldnt play a role anywhere, sports included (although it unfortunately sometimes does:().

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

Mourning
07-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I think they still have Wally too and I don't see him being shipped very soon, because of his albatross contract though they are trying.

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

Tom White
07-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Good for Fred!
Hoiberg has always seemed to be such a decent guy. He must be easy to please, as well.

He didn't even ask the T-Wolves to play a dozen games in an arena closer to his home.
;)

cramerica
07-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Fred is and always will be a stand-up guy. I'm happy for him.

ABADays
07-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Ditto to all the comments. I'm happy for Fred.

beast23
07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
I would have take Hoiberg here for the contract that the T-Wolves paid him.

The guy does play decent defense and definitely knows how to shoot the ball from the perimeter. If nothing else, he would have been one extra shooter on the roster.