PDA

View Full Version : Whitely on IS is reporting Aldridge to leave ESPN

cramerica
07-23-2004, 10:53 PM
http://www.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72412

I hope this is about as true as his trade proposals.

SpADeD
07-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Wow, there goes the only decent reporter on ESPN.

MSA2CF
07-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Where else can he go? :confused:

Kegboy
07-23-2004, 11:12 PM
His brother Andre used to be on ESPN, he hosted nba2nite after Stuart Scott bumped up to SC. He left to go to CNNSI. Think he might be on NBATV now (someone who actually has it can correct me if I'm wrong.)

DA might be pulling a Rich Eisen and doing the same thing. Or, he might just be as fed up with The Worldwide Leader as the rest of us.

Hicks
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Maybe TNT will snatch him.

Kstat
07-23-2004, 11:18 PM
TNT needs a guy on the "inside" like DA.

Kegboy
07-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Sadly, looks like it's true:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php#1090635669

David Aldridge leaving ESPN 07/23 -
10:21 PM
Friday 10:18 PM EST

ESPN's headquarters in New York has confirmed to us tonight that David Aldridge will be leaving the network after his contract expires on August 28th. At the moment no reason was stated for his departure.

This news has been circulating around the Internet for the past few hours as it came as quite a surprise to most. Aldridge is generally considered to be the top basketball analyst in America today, or at least the most trusted, with the most trustworthy sources around. His calm and professional style of reporting will surely be missed on the worldwide leaders in Sports next year.

TNT has already been rumored to be interested in his services.

The 39 year-old David Aldridge was hired by ESPN as an NBA reporter in February of 1996, after working for the Washington Post.

With Aldridge leaving ESPN next month, Steven A. Smith now appears to be their top basketball analyst. Smith is very popular amongst the younger viewers and therefore even more popular amongst potential advertisers, but his personality and style of reporting has rubbed many basketball fans the wrong way countless times over the past year.

-Jonathan Givony (RealGM/DraftCity.com)

Rumor has it he was fired. Can't imagine why, unless he got fed up with ESPN's crap and told them off. I'm sure TNT would gladly have him, if he wants the job.

I just find this disgusting. I swear, if I only had NBATV and The NFL network, I'd stop watching ESPN all together. You can always catch PTI on the radio.

Speaking of PTI, on the rare occasion DA co-hosted, he was very impressive. He can expertly speak on a wide variety of sports topics, as opposed to Stephen A, who can't even be expected to expertly speak about basketball. :rolleyes:

And to think, I was SO excited about ESPN getting the NBA. What a waste.

Unclebuck
07-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Sure he was fired. ESPN loves Steve A. Smith. That is the direction they are going in. Aldridge is not edgy enough.

Young
07-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Great now all of the ESPN reporters are morons.

I hope Aldrige somehow ends up on best damn.

Bball
07-23-2004, 11:43 PM
I agree with Uncle Buck... altho technically it appears his contract won't be renewed which is one step above 'fired'.

-Bball

Kstat
07-23-2004, 11:46 PM
best damn is a step down...anyone on best damn that has any talent always winds up at ESPN, its like the minor leagues of sports shows......

TNT is the only place that is suitable for DA.

cramerica
07-23-2004, 11:53 PM
TNT is the only place that is suitable for DA.

Yep. DA is one of the best and TNT would be the only place I could imagine. I hope he doesn't turn Vecsey on us and start writing garbage for NYpost or something worse. Although Vecsey wasn't half the reporter that DA is.

Hicks
07-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Do you think it woudl work if they made DA a regular in the studio with the regular trio of Ernie, Kenny, and Charles? Or should they leave a good thing alone and find a unique role for him?

Unclebuck
07-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Do you think it woudl work if they made DA a regular in the studio with the regular trio of Ernie, Kenny, and Charles? Or should they leave a good thing alone and find a unique role for him?

No, that won't work. He'll be a reporter/information guy.

IMO, his greatest strength is as a reporter. His pieces he did for ESPN were excellent. That is what he should do for TNT

Bball
07-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey Hicks.... have your people contact Aldridge's people... Maybe he's ready to be a PD reporter? ;)

-Bball

Hicks
07-24-2004, 12:08 AM
:D That would be so great.

Anthem
07-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Smith is very popular amongst the younger viewers and therefore even more popular amongst potential advertisers, but his personality and style of reporting has rubbed many basketball fans the wrong way countless times over the past year.

Is this true? The "popular" part, not the "personality" part.

I always thought they had S.Smith to make the viewer feel intelligent.

Unclebuck
07-24-2004, 12:25 AM
I also read a week ago or so that Kevin Frazier was leaving ESPN for one of those "Entertainment Tonight" type shows. Although have not heard anything about it it since.

indygeezer
07-24-2004, 12:32 AM
I can't remember the last time I watched something on ESPN...did they carry PO games? That would be it then.

<revile me if you want, but I was excited yesterday to learn that Bravo channel will be carrying some of the Olympic Archery cometition. I know that really flips your switch but I wanna see it, and I'll get a chance to see a little anyway. BTW...did you know that in World class competition the target is set at 100 yards? Try it sometime. Bravo will be carrying a lot of the minor sports.