PDA

View Full Version : Al is selling tickets in Atlanta

Unclebuck
07-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Yes I am being a little sarcastic

32 new season tickets last year, that is amazing. If the Hawks did not give away so many tickets, and inflate the numbers, who knows what they would average.

Arkman, should I call the Hawks staff and have them bug you

http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/epaper/editions/friday/sports_14000bc7669e20030073.html

Ticket hawkers bang the gong slowly

Tim Tucker - Staff
Friday, July 23, 2004

Good news for the Hawks: Already this summer, they have sold more than four times as many new full-season tickets as all of last year. Bad news for the Hawks: Quadrupling last year's number still doesn't amount to much.

Last year, at the nadir of their marketability and credibility, the Hawks sold only 32 full-season tickets to new customers, team officials confirm sheepishly. This year's sale of 145 new full-season tickets, as of
Thursday, looks good only by comparison.

Including renewals, the Hawks say they sold about 1,800 full-season tickets last year. Factor in the various partial-season plans, and the team says it sold slightly more than 3,000 "full-season equivalents," in the vernacular of the business.

By any measure, their sales were the worst in the NBA.
And that is where the team's new ownership and management come in, inheriting what might be the toughest sell in sports: Hawks tickets.
"The numbers were horrible, obviously," new CEO Bernie Mullin said softly.

On the 18th floor of downtown's Centennial Tower, where the Hawks' and Thrashers' offices are located, 15 young, enthusiastic telemarketers are smiling and dialing. They are working from computer-generated lists of fans who attended at least one Philips Arena event in the past couple of years, as well as lists of Atlanta businesses. When a call leads to a Hawks or Thrashers season-ticket sale, the telemarketer rises from his seat and loudly strikes a 22-inch gong to announce the happy news throughout the office.

Many teams treat season-ticket sales as, well, business as usual. The Hawks and Thrashers are treating each sale as cause for celebration.
"It's all a part of building the sales culture," said Mullin, president and CEO of Atlanta Spirit, the Hawks' and Thrashers' new owner. "We understand that our No. 1 job is to put butts in seats."

It is not a job limited to the sales staff. When a sales representative runs into difficulty getting a season-ticket renewal commitment, the customer often gets a phone call from a top team official: CEO Mullin, Hawks vice president Dominique Wilkins, Hawks general manager Billy Knight, Thrashers GM Don Waddell, Thrashers coach Bob Hartley or one of the owners.

"Sadly, there's not that many of them," Mullin said, referring to season-ticket holders. "We can talk to every one of them."

MSA2CF
07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
:laugh:/:(

Dukins
07-23-2004, 09:51 AM
:o:laugh::lolchair:

BillS
07-23-2004, 12:55 PM
From what I've read, Hawks fans are slightly more enthused this year for 3 main reasons:

1) The team actually appears to be active this off-season.

2) Josh Childress

3) Josh Smith

4) It looked for a while like the Braves actually sucked.

Seriously, the change of coach and the players brought in seem to have woken people up a little bit, and I also agree with reason 1 - the last time the I remember that the Hawks participated in summer league was Larry Bird's first season with the Pacers.

Unless they do fantastically well (like winning the championship), I don't expect huge changes in attendance. A smart move by the NBA would have been to somehow get New Orleans and Atlanta in the same division, in order to play off the existing NFL rivalry between the Falcons and the Saints.

RWB
07-23-2004, 01:17 PM
You know this sounds like this could be a fun road trip for the Pacer forum faithful. Bill how many front row seats can you get us and Jose where you at to get this started? ;)

Lord Helmet
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Al is selling tickets in Atlanta:laugh:

bapspacers4life
07-23-2004, 08:12 PM
:laugh:

Roaming Gnome
07-23-2004, 08:28 PM
If a tree falls in the forest, but no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound?

If Al Harrington starts in Atlanta, but no one is there to see it...did he really start?

Kstat
07-23-2004, 08:40 PM
I think maintaining the 130-129 style of play they had late last year will attract a lot of casual fans.

hoopsforlife
07-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Al is selling tickets in Atlanta:laugh:

:laugh: We should not be bashing someone for a career choice. At least its honest work. ;)

I wish Al all the best in Atlanta. I liked the kid while he was here. :(

fooddaman
07-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I will miss Al as well, but he is the one that asked to be traded:rolleyes::confused:

clownskull
07-25-2004, 03:40 AM
man, i have watched a few games (on t.v.) here and there. and will say that the sometimes it looks like they have maybe2-3 thousand at the games. i mean it's about as close to empty as you can get. and that is considering the giveaways and stuff. but, i can't really blame them much. the fact of ticket prices and the direction of the team is bound to drive people away.