PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Update

Roaming Gnome
07-23-2004, 01:24 AM
While watching the news (WTHR NBC-Indpls) there was a segment about an update on the Stadium Issue. The Capital Improvment board had requested plans for a new stadium and expansion of the convention center from 4 architechtural firms.

The CIB required that the stadium:
1. to be built on the land south of the current RCA Dome.
2. be attached in some form to the convention center.
3. have a capacity of 70,000
4. have a retractable roof.

The estimated price of the project for both converting the current dome to convention space and a new stadium was estimated at $450 million dollars. Depending on financing...groundbreaking could occur as soon as next fall!

This news story was run at 10pm on the early newscast for Fox-59 and once again at 11pm durring the regular news cast. The story has not been updated to their website as of 12:30am Friday!

Lord Helmet
07-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Yea:cool: I hope we can get a new stadium or else it's bye bye ponies:( It makes sense for a retractable roof.Not everyday in Indy during the winter is nasty.

Lord Helmet
07-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Double post

Lord Helmet
07-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Triple post

Lord Helmet
07-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Yea:cool: I hope we can get a new stadium or else it's bye bye ponies:( It makes sense for a retractable roof.Not everyday in Indy during the winter is nasty.

Lord Helmet
07-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Hicks delete these my PC screwed up.My bad.

obnoxiousmodesty
07-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Sweet. I'm all for a retractable roof stadium. I'm still wondering how the Ponies are going to sell out a 70,000 seat stadium when they're currently having issues selling out a 56,000 seat stadium.

MSA2CF
07-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Well, I'm just glad it's not another dome.

I would have preferred an outdoor stadium, but retractable is fine, as long as we do have some outdoor games. I think it'd be cool if it were a curved stadium, sorta shaped like a horseshoe. They need to make it unique somehow. And they need to have a "Colts History" section, sorta like how Conseco has the Pacers memorabilia/history part of the building. There's plenty of ideas I have, but I'm glad that the chance of a new stadium is higher. :apple:

Bball
07-23-2004, 11:22 AM
And they need to have a "Colts History" section, sorta like how Conseco has the Pacers memorabilia/history part of the building. There's plenty of ideas I have, but I'm glad that the chance of a new stadium is higher. :apple:

I've always been of the mind that they never should've retained the name "Colts" because that name was so synonomous with Baltimore and the NFL. I don't know how I'd feel if they had a history part of the building with so many Baltimore type connections. It's not like they left with Baltimore's blessing. I think all this makes it just a smidge harder for the community to really embrace the Colts as 'our own'. I'm not sure there's much history that can be used from the Colts' Indy time. And to only use Indy Colts history would seem to only shine a light on the issue and imply some kind of guilt or misgivings about Baltimore.

IOW... damned if they do.... damned if they don't....

-Bball

Bball
07-23-2004, 11:25 AM
BTW...
Build the damn thing with some future flexibility so that more seating or skyboxes or concession stands...etc... can be added later if desired.

-Bball

MSA2CF
07-23-2004, 01:44 PM
I agree, Bball, that they should have renamed the team. But since they still have the same name, I wish they'd go back to this old logo:

http://www.ravensnest1.com/colts.gif

edit: Without the "Baltimore" part, you see...:laugh:

Roaming Gnome
07-23-2004, 06:11 PM
While watching the news (WTHR NBC-Indpls) there was a segment about an update on the Stadium Issue. The Capital Improvment board had requested plans for a new stadium and expansion of the convention center from 4 architechtural firms.

The CIB required that the stadium:
1. to be built on the land south of the current RCA Dome.
2. be attached in some form to the convention center.
3. have a capacity of 70,000
4. have a retractable roof.

The estimated price of the project for both converting the current dome to convention space and a new stadium was estimated at $450 million dollars. Depending on financing...groundbreaking could occur as soon as next fall!

This news story was run at 10pm on the early newscast for Fox-59 and once again at 11pm durring the regular news cast. The story has not been updated to their website as of 12:30am Friday!

Wow, talk about two different stories. The article that was in the Indy Star was not as enthusiastic as the report on the WTHR newscast. I believe the story in the paper a lot more then what was on the newscast last night. Basically, the Star's article says that this was a fact finding mission for feasibility and the other big difference was that the capacity was to be 62,000 with the ability to adjust to 70,000. which makes more sense!!! The biggest difference in the stories were on the roof. The Star's article claims that the CIB wants a permanent roof, but for the plans to come with a retractable alternative.

Many parts of the WTHR report were over-hyped, seems to me!

Lord Helmet
08-04-2004, 12:26 AM
I agree, Bball, that they should have renamed the team. But since they still have the same name, I wish they'd go back to this old logo:

http://www.ravensnest1.com/colts.gif

edit: Without the "Baltimore" part, you see...:laugh:

That logo is sweet.Is there any news of a Colts throwback night?;)

ChicagoJ
08-04-2004, 11:06 AM
There's no reason for a football team in Indianapolis to ever play indoors if Green Bay, Chicago, Cleveland and Pittsburgh play outside.

:twocents:

Lord Helmet
08-04-2004, 11:27 AM
If we get a new stadium it better be retractable.So in the nice days in early fall it can be open.