PDA

View Full Version : Need answers from Satellite TV users

Hicks
07-22-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm planning to switch to DishNetwork from Cable before the 04-05 season starts.

What I wanted to know, was what are the minimum requirements to be able to get NBA League Pass, and how much does it cost.

Also, some other questions:

Is there more than one type of dish you get, or is that basically the same for everyone?

Plus, I was planning on getting the "America's Top120" package. If I have that, can I order NBA League Pass, or does it matter at all what package I get?

Same question regrading receivers. If I get two of the basic receiver (no digital recording, no HDTV), is that fine for being able to get NBA League Pass?

I'm trying to see any potential snags before I dive into this.

And it would also be helpful to know how much it cost you to have your system installed, plus how much each receiver cost you (and what year you had this done).

MSA2CF
07-22-2004, 08:00 PM
I think I've had DishNetwork in the past.

That tells you something right there. I don't have it now. :thumbsdown:

Hicks
07-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Anyones who DOES have it care to respond?

RimBender
07-22-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get league pass with any package you order.

And there is only one type dish, and when cloudy weather rolls around your reception goes out, which is a major disadvantage.

I dont pay the bills untill another year, my pops does that for now.

Roaming Gnome
07-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Hicks...NBA League Pass opperates totally seperate from the other garbage and you should be able to order it just having the bare *** minimum. That is what I do, but I am on :directv:!

dipperdunk
07-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Hicks you should be able to get directv in the Indy area. I was going to get it but in Philly Comcast has a blackout policy of the 76ers games on the dish.

So I had to get Comcast digital cable instead and the league pass package was about $150 last season. You can get the standard one room directv with free installation and free hardware for like $40 a month. The link is below for you just enter your zip code and click on the free 1 room system link on that page. I don't have it like I mentioned but I think some other people on here have it so they can let you know whether or not the Pacers games are blacked out on the dish but I don't think they are.
<P>
<a href=http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/NewHardwareHome.do>directv link</a>

hoopsforlife
07-22-2004, 08:22 PM

I have had Dish for 5 years or more. I like it real well. If it storms you will lose the signal sometimes but over all it works fine for me. The picture quality is very good and their programming is much better than cable. (I've had it before and they don't have the selection Dish has.) NBA league pass is less than 200 bucks. 175 or so comes to mind. I do not subscribe to that because there is enough games on for me to get my fix anyway. I think I missed 2 Pacer games all year do to no local TV that night. Usually TNT ESPN WGN and WTTV carry all the games I'm able to see anyway.

The cost of installation is about 150.00 and includes recievers. I have two recievers in my house and my wife can watch what she wants while my games are on. :cool:

I really like Dish Network and it costs me about 65.00 per month. I have the Dish 500 plan and don't suscribe to any pay channels.

They have had one price increase in the time I've had the service. It was like 2 bucks per month.

call 1-800-333-DISH for info.

www.dishnetwork.com

Hope this helps. Hoopsforlife

MSA2CF
07-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey Al Bundy---err, I mean dipper, nice avatar! :p

Hicks
07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I really like Dish Network and it costs me about 65.00 per month. I have the Dish 500 plan and don't suscribe to any pay channels.

What is the Dish 500 plan?

Pacer4fun
07-22-2004, 08:34 PM
I had Dish this past year and saw just about all the games for around $32 a month, that is the basic package for $24.99 and another $4.99 for the fox sports package. That gives you all the home games and the away games are on TNT ESPN and WTTV.
I upgrade during the summer to watch summer games on NBA-tv.
I've compared Direct TV and Dish and I liked Dish better.

dipperdunk
07-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey Al Bundy---err, I mean dipper, nice avatar! :p

:laugh: Al Bundy was the man. :cool:

Hicks
07-22-2004, 09:18 PM

And is there any additional cost to actually pay for the dish itself that sits outside your home?

PacerMan
07-22-2004, 09:34 PM

I have had Dish for 5 years or more. I like it real well. If it storms you will lose the signal sometimes but over all it works fine for me. The picture quality is very good and their programming is much better than cable. (I've had it before and they don't have the selection Dish has.) NBA league pass is less than 200 bucks. 175 or so comes to mind. I do not subscribe to that because there is enough games on for me to get my fix anyway. I think I missed 2 Pacer games all year do to no local TV that night. Usually TNT ESPN WGN and WTTV carry all the games I'm able to see anyway.

The cost of installation is about 150.00 and includes recievers. I have two recievers in my house and my wife can watch what she wants while my games are on. :cool:

They have had one price increase in the time I've had the service. It was like 2 bucks per month.

call 1-800-333-DISH for info.

www.dishnetwork.com

Hope this helps. Hoopsforlife

$65 a month for NO premium channels??? :o

PacerMan
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Does WTTV still carry the Pacers? We used to get that here in Fort Wayne on Comcast, but not for the past 5 years(?) or so.
I think the Pacers were on 3 times last season on TNT or
ESPN.:mad:
I go to a bar to watch them.:p

Old as Dirt
07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Direct TV had all but 2 or 3 games this past season. WTTV, Fox Mid West, TNT. And you have some decent annoucers on these channels.

Old as Dirt
07-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Can you get the stations from Indy, in FW? If so WTTV is on the dish

Hicks
07-22-2004, 10:34 PM

And is there any additional cost to actually pay for the dish itself that sits outside your home?

hoopsforlife
07-22-2004, 10:43 PM

DISH 500 is the world's first 500-channel digital satellite TV system. DISH Network has developed an advanced 20" dish antenna that enables the reception of signals from TWO satellite locations at the same time. This versatility gives you the capability of receiving up to 500 channels of audio and video programming as well as data services.

I have the Americas Top 180 plan. @ 2 recievers. Here are blackout rules from their web page.

Blackout restrictions apply to all NBA games that are offered on NBA LEAGUE PASS. Such blackout restrictions are designed to protect the television rights holders in the competing teams' respective home markets. Blackouts are not based on arena sellouts.

If a local over-the-air network has the rights to broadcast an NBA game in its local area, customers in that area will be unable to receive that game via their satellite service. However, they may be able to see the game via their local channels.

Hoops

Hicks
07-22-2004, 11:08 PM
So I will be getting the Dish 500 plan? That's typically what everyone gets now? Does that cost extra or anything like that?

I really just need to go down to my local place and ask them all this, but if I can get it sooner from you guys, all the better.

I'm trying to find out how much it will completely cost to setup/install a satellite system in my home, with 2 receivers, and to have the top 120 package + local channels.

I'm almost positive the 120 + locals will be either $40 or $46 a month, and I want to say it will be $200 for everything else.

Here's an improtant thing I don't know: Do you have to pay for both the receivers, the dish, and the actual installation seperately, or is that all rolled into one lump sum cost?

PacerCrazy
07-22-2004, 11:34 PM
I just ordered Dish Netweork this week for the same reasons. I decided against the league pass becuase it is suppose to be $179 for the year and for the $29.95 package I get all the Pacers games anyway. I did pay an extra $4.99 a month for the sports package which includes NBA tv and 22 other regional channels like FOX Sports Midwest which a lot of the Pacer Games are on. I figure this way I get a lot of the other games without getting the league pass. It doesn't look like the preseason games are covered by the league pass unless I am wrong. I believe they were covered by NBA TV. So I figure this way I get the best of both worlds without spending $180 for the 5 games I would have watch using the league pass that I couldn't have gotten through the basic package. I think if I ever moved outside of Indiana I would defiantely get the league pass so I got all the games but since we are local the Dish NEtwork covers them through the WB. Fox Sports Midwest and ESPN/TNT. So I guess the league pass would be good Hicks if you were planning on watching like 10 or 20 games the Pacer's are playing in and you don't want to miss them. It seems as though espn and TNT pick up a lot of the good matches though. (that is if you can stand seeing King James every other night LOL) I hope this helps.

PacerCrazy
07-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Oh one more thing... I decided to pay the 5 bucks a month more for TVO... I reccommend you do that! You won't regret it!

PacerCrazy
07-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Installation was free up I had to pay like $45 bucks for it and then get the first month or so credited to me. This equitment was free to but it belongs to the network so If I quit they get it back. Turned out to be like $40 a month with basic package of top 60 or something channels and TVo and the Sports Package. Cheaper then my Insite bill

Hicks
07-22-2004, 11:41 PM
How much was installation, receivers, dish, etc? How much was all that upfront?

As for League Pass, due to these forums I've gradually become more of an NBA junkie on top of just being a die hard pacers fan, and I'm getting LP for the luxury of watching any freakin' game I want every night of the week, and not just having to wait for ESPN/TNT to show me something other than the Pacers. This way I can watch any game I want all week long, and I think I'll love that.

Hicks
07-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Sorry, posted that while you made your 2 extra replies.

Hoop
07-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Are you dead set on DishNet? You should give DirectTV a look first.

Hicks
07-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah I'm set on DishNetwork.

Hicks
07-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Besides, what would make DirectTV so much better?

Hicks
07-23-2004, 12:13 AM
So I guess the truth is I've been really leaning towards DishNet, but if I have a really good reason to go with DirectTV, I'm open to hearing why. Most where I live use DishNet, however, including my sister and brother-in-law, and when I'm over there and have used it I've seen nothing wrong with it. In fact I was there during the week where NBA League Pass was free that week, and it was great.

So combine those factors, with the fact that I've compared the 120 package to what I'm getting on Insight cable right now, and the only channel it doesn't have that I have now is the Oh!Oxygen network, which to put it lightly doesn't bother me much. :D

So I see nothing wrong with DishNet.

Hicks
07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm looking at the 130 channel pack from DirectTV, which would either be the same per month or $5 more than the DishNet one, and frankly it looks considerably more attractive (in terms of new channels that interest me).

Hicks
07-23-2004, 01:02 AM
OK, the more I look at DirectTV, the more I'm leaning towards it instead of DishNet.

I'm going to be in Muncie tomorrow to see a movie (I live in New Castle), and afterwards I plan to go to their Best Buy to see if I can get setup w/ DirectTV through them. If I can, and I like what I hear about prices and such, I'm going with DirectTV.

Can anyone tell me more about why you think DTV is the best choice? What makes you say so? And how much are you paying a month (and do you also get local channels added in), plus how much was your installation (and how many receivers do you have).

This is all very appreciated.

Natston
07-23-2004, 01:45 AM
DirecTV has the NFL network :devil: (as a basic channel I might add :eyebrow: )

Anyway I've had DTV for over three years and I love it. That being said, we might lose our service because they're changing sats or some stuff like that. Hopefully we can get another tech to come out because I don't want to lose it... :cry:

Roaming Gnome
07-23-2004, 01:49 AM
:directv:
Hicks, I pay $49/month. For that I have:

Total Choice w/ local channels (basic package without PBSkids, History Ch. movies, and other offbeat new channels)

2 receivers

I pay my NBA league pass at once before the season so it is not added to my bill and receive NBA-TV thru the whole year!

I honestly end-up getting direct TV because Dish did not have the NFL Sunday Ticket, eventhough I only purchased it one season. Just a Colt fan, I guess.

Hoop
07-23-2004, 02:34 AM
DISH does not offer the NFL package and DirectTV does. If do not plan on getting the NFL package doesn't really matter, just thought I'd let you know.

What ever system you decide on, get one of the deals that has a receiver with TIVO built in. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I pay around a hundred bucks a month for DirectTV service, but I have the highest package with locals and the NBA package. I have 3 regular recievers and 2 TIVO's.

I know lot's of people that have had both and not one of them thought Dish was better, they all prefer DTV.

The only reason I could see going with DISH is that it's still hackable, but that is about to change very soon.

Dukins
07-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Definitely go with Direct TV Hicks its the way to go. I have had it for several years with no problems. I like the NFL Sunday Ticket. I have 5 receivers and two pay channels and my bill is about 90 bucks. Its well worth it though. As everyone as stated the only problem is the bad weather. :cry:

BillS
07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I started with Dish before they had NBA League Pass on anything but DirecTV because Dish swore I could get Fox Sports Midwest and see Pacer games there. Wrong, so I canned them and switched to DirecTV.

Here in The Land Of Huge Frickin Pine Trees That Block The Sun, the lower angle in the sky for Dish (which would be even lower from Indiana, by the way) meant my setup was extremely clumsy and intermittent. Dish's dish :) had to be mounted on the bottom part of a fence and aimed upward through a removed slat to get clear reception - which went away every time someone walked in front of the dish. DirecTV was able to mount the dish on the roof.

I miss having access to Cricket pay-per-view, which was available on Dish but not on DirecTV, but overall I'm happy with the programming and price and service on DirecTV.

Hope that helps you out.

fwpacerfan
07-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Are you dead set on DishNet? You should give DirectTV a look first.

Agreed. I've not had any of the problems that many have mentioned on DirecTV and I've had it for 8 years now. I very rarely lose the signal and when I do it's because it is a MAJOR storm. About 50% of the time when I lose my signal, our neighbors lose their cable signal as well. Actually the last 2 storms we've had they have lost cable and I've not had a single problem.

The only thing you will want to research Hicks is the blackout restrictions for your area. In Fort Wayne we don't have any problems as long as we get League Pass AND the sports package.

Hicks
07-23-2004, 12:21 PM
These responses are good and appreciated guys, but a key thing I'm still not hearing is the cost of setting it all up.

I have a very good idea of my monthly expense, but not yet a good idea of how much it costs to have the receivers and have them + the dish installed. I'm hoping it's $200 or less (I'm planning on two normal receivers).

Hicks
07-23-2004, 12:24 PM
The only thing you will want to research Hicks is the blackout restrictions for your area. In Fort Wayne we don't have any problems as long as we get League Pass AND the sports package.

I don't think I should have any. I mean, on cable right now I have WB4, FSN, TNT, ESPN/2, and never had a Pacers broadcast blacked out, so I'm not expecting to have that just because I'm on satellite. What blackouts should I be worried about? I'm in New Castle if that helps. But to my knowledge I won't have blackouts of Pacer games, and any other NBA game is out of state, so they shouldn't get blacked out, right?

Dukins
07-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Hicks you can find in the sunday paper ads all the time on deals of installation for free for everything.

Hicks
07-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Another question for DirecTV and DishNet users both.

How much does rain, snow, and storms affect signal?

Someone told me even light rain can cause their DirecTV to lose signal.

I'd like to think their's is a special case, because some of you swear by DirecTV, and you live in Indiana, where rain isn't shy.

hoopsforlife
07-25-2004, 03:32 PM

I'd like to think their's is a special case, because some of you swear by DirecTV, and you live in Indiana, where rain isn't shy.

It has to get real dark from clouds or heavy rain before it affects the signal. Heavy snow didn't seem to bother my Dish much. Heavy rain can sometimes. Usually if the weather is that bad you are not worrying about TV too much anyway. :laugh:

Roaming Gnome
07-26-2004, 12:20 AM

OK, it depends on a few things...
Installation- Before I moved to the house that I am in now, I have done the installation myself and the best I could ever get my signal strength to was 88. So, most heavy rains would wipe me out!
Since I have moved and had my system professionally installed, my signal strength is always about 96 and it take A LOT of storm cloud cover/Extream Rain to take me out of the game.

Missed two games this year.
Pacers @ Nuggets (heavy storm)
Pacers V. Pistons (The famous Racers, Pacers & Tornaders weekend)

My advice is to get professional installation, because most of the times it's free and installation takes a lot of patience...which I lack on that application. :devilwink:

Hicks
07-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I'm letting a professional do it for me. It's free w/ purchase of the receiver, so it's all good. :cool:

Bball
07-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm guessing but I bet the quality of the 'professional' installation varies greatly from one 'professional' to the next. It also probably varies depending on how many more customers are waiting to be installed that day and how close it is to 5 PM.

-Bball

Hoop
07-27-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm guessing but I bet the quality of the 'professional' installation varies greatly from one 'professional' to the next. It also probably varies depending on how many more customers are waiting to be installed that day and how close it is to 5 PM.

-Bball

You are correct, install is farmed out locally no matter what system you go with. Luck of the draw will determine if you get a good one.

You can get a stronger signal if you play with the pointing alittle, but it's digital so you either have a picture or you don't. I higher signal will not fade as easily when it rains, but in a huge down pour losing signal is a fact of life regardless.

In time with the rain, wind, etc you can lose alittle signal strength from the dish being moved slightly. I've had to repoint my dish once in about 8+ years. I use a crude method of one guy on the roof moving the dish and another watching the signal and walky talkys to tell him better or worse. :laugh:

ChicagoJ
07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
I used the crude method of strapping a compass onto the handle of a garden rake, and then I got my dish 1 degree closer to the correct reading than the install guy had done.

My signal strength on certain transponders is 100. Now I'm not a techie at all so I don't know how/why there are different readings on each transponder. If somebody can translate what that means to English, I *would* read it.

Anyway, in a downpour, I'll lose signal. And I do have to go out and brush snow off the dish in the winter time.

Unclebuck
07-28-2004, 01:03 PM
I've lived in two different places since I got Directv about 8 years ago, and at the first place snow would always accumulate on the dish, so I had to go out there to brush it off all the time. But in the past 4 years or so at my new place, not once has snow accumulated on the dish.

Hicks because of snow it would be easier if the dish is installed so that you can easily get to it.

Doug in CO
07-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I have had DirecTV for about 5 years - and I can count on one hand the amount of time I have been out... don't forget to get TiVo!