PDA

View Full Version : St. John's hires Steve Lavin

Kegboy
03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5041205

I know most people won't care about this, and those who do will probably rip him, but I love Lavin. I'll admit, he didn't have the greatest X's and O's reputation at UCLA, but I thought he did an incredible job going from the 3rd assistant to taking over a storied program in such turmoil.

Lavin's greatest strength is his personality. He's the consumate salesman, and he's a great fit for St. John's, who desperately needs someone to sell the once-great program. I'm impressed that the first thing Steve talked about is getting top notch assistants, and I hope St. John's is willing to pay. Recruiting in NY is nasty, and he's gonna need some veterans to help him navigate those waters safely and cleanly.

I know we've heard the whole lip-service about the commentating "sabatical" before, but I think it really helped him. He reminds me of Carlisle, who you could always tell took it very seriously, and I've seen marked improvement in Steve over the years. Not just in how he calls a game, but his understanding of it.

And lastly, it should be noted, it wasn't like he was untouchable in those 7 years. Keady pushed hard for Lavin to succeed him, but Burke nixed it. Of course, in hindsight, that didn't turn out too shabby. I think Steve was just waiting for a great opportunity, and with the resurgence of the Big East, this might be it.