PDA

View Full Version : Will Shaq be in shape next year?

Fool
07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Does anyone even remember a year ago this time when news reports said Shaq hired an ex-marine to get him in shape? The season prior practically the entire world blamed Shaq's fitness for the Lakers losing in the playoffs. There was even that TNT commercial before this past season with the kids dancing in a circle and singing to Shaq "You better come back in shape."

This year all I hear is "He's got something to prove now! He'll be in the best shape of his life!" Am I missing something? Didn't he have something to prove last year? I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. Last year I was actually worried to see Shaq in shape. This year I say that if losing a championship didn't kick him in gear then running from Kobe and the Lakers isn't going to either.

He's actually stating that being in the East will keep him in the league longer. Thats admitting that he doesn't have to work himself so hard to compete while in Miami. So what exactly is going to drive him to lose 4 years worth of Whoppers?

MSA2CF
07-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Round is a shape.

Stryder
07-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Yes. I think he'll come in at 340 - 345 lbs.

Hicks
07-22-2004, 12:53 PM
He'll be 360+ I think.

Arcadian
07-22-2004, 01:01 PM
If being in shape means that he when he was at 3, 4 years ago--no he won't be in shape.

If being in shape means being better than the last 1, 2 years, perhaps.

At his age you can just work one summer and negate the your history of working out. People (Miller, Malone, Willis) whose bodies have held up are those players who worked hard every summer.

canyoufeelit
07-22-2004, 01:11 PM
he'll be in MVP shape.

PacerMan
07-22-2004, 01:24 PM
he'll be in MVP shape.

Yeh, I don't see how anyone could blame him for not caring before. I mean, like he should care for 30 million dollars a year? :rolleyes:

Jose Slaughter
07-22-2004, 02:46 PM
I've been wanting to do a post about this as well.

I also wanted to mention that Shaq has missed 15 games in each of the past 3 seasons

In his 3 championship runs he played 79, 74 & then 67. The final 2 seasons were both 67 games. Just my opinion but I think this is mainly based on conditioning.

If he had something to prove it would have been after losing in the playoffs in the 02-03 season with Malone & Payton coming in the followng season, just to ride his coat tails to a ring.

Shaq will still put up his numbers but the Heat won't be going anywhere.

Lord Helmet
07-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Shaq will be 355+