PDA

View Full Version : I knew Rick was mad, but I didn't realize HOW mad

Hicks
02-03-2004, 12:35 AM
"Carlisle was so frustrated after the Lakers scored six straight points to pull within 16 with 1:02 left in the half that he called a 20-second timeout and broke a clipboard in three pieces."

:o

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/117244-6450-116.html

Tim
02-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Pacers can't handle big leads. The funny thing is the players know it and expect to screw it up, and they do time and time again.

fwpacerfan
02-03-2004, 08:08 AM
The one thing that Carlisle does is that he will always call a timeout if the other team scores 6 points in a row. I think that helped last night and it's helped preserve many other leads also. Last year Thomas would just let the lead totally evaporate.

I'm trying to figure out why this team blows leads and the only thing I can see is that if the bench players come in with a big lead then they don't run the offense correctly, they go to playing one on one instead of moving the ball. It seems that if those same players (led by Freddie Jones) come in during a tight game they play within the offense.

rabid
02-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Hmmm... not sure if I would blame just the bench players. If I recall, a lot of our bench was on the floor when we got that lead in the first place.

Let's wait for the plu-minus on this one so we can settle it once and for all. :)

Ragnar
02-03-2004, 09:57 AM
A lot of it is the bench. One player in particular. I know I am going to get jumped on because some people thought he was the "heroe" of the Celts game for hitting a couple of shots but AJ can not run the point for this team anymore.

He used to be able to but he has lost it. I think the team has adjusted to having a real pg on the floor and cant run properly with AJ. It is time to see Kenny take those backup minutes.

fwpacerfan
02-03-2004, 11:28 AM
A lot of it is the bench. One player in particular. I know I am going to get jumped on because some people thought he was the "heroe" of the Celts game for hitting a couple of shots but AJ can not run the point for this team anymore.

He used to be able to but he has lost it. I think the team has adjusted to having a real pg on the floor and cant run properly with AJ. It is time to see Kenny take those backup minutes.

I don't want to lay all of the blame at AJ's feet, but he is part of the problem. IMHO, Freddie was the biggest problem last night. He seemed to try to do too much on his own and not play within the offense and he didn't play as solid defensively as he usually does.

I hope last night was a wake up call - if you get a lead you need to keep it. I know that won't happen every night but this team seems to get and give up big leads 2 out of every 3 games.

ABADays
02-03-2004, 02:14 PM

That's weird - because 2 games ago I thought AJ looked like he had lost a little confidence. Probably just me though.

Eindar
02-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I don't know what the big deal is. Obviously the Lakers weren't a world-beater team last night, but neither were we w/o JO. If you have an 18 point lead, and the other team grinds it down to 10, to me it's ok as long as your team responds and put it back up to around 16-18. In fact, it's the mark of a good team that they can respond to those runs after some solid coaching. The late 90's Bulls drove me crazy with that stuff. We'd get their 15 point lead down to about 8, but we'd never get within about 5 the entire game. Would always fluctuate between 8 and 15.

In other news, I think it's funny that Carlisle broke the clipboard. Looks like he's really becoming a Hoosier now. Reason I say this, and let me know if my basketball upbringing is just crazy, but my grade school coach broke one in half when one of our players kept breaking plays. BTW, if it happened the same way mine did, he smacked it with his hand to show disapproval and get everyone fired up, and it snapped. The man who invents the unbreakeable clipboard is a millionaire :pepper:

rabid
02-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Weird... i was gonna put up last night's plus minus stats to help clarify the discussion, but even though pacers.com just put up new figures today, the lakers game is excluded (though apparently that game is included in the overall season plus-minus stats...)
:confused:

indygeezer
02-03-2004, 05:07 PM
The guy is outta control!! Breaking clipboards! Can waterbottles and rosin cans be far behind???

(Darn good thing there were no hockey sticks around!!)

MagicRat
02-03-2004, 05:26 PM
The guy is outta control!! Breaking clipboards! Can waterbottles and rosin cans be far behind???

(Darn good thing there were no hockey sticks around!!)

Somebody'd better hide the HD cameras at the Garden tonight.......

waxman
02-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Give a little credit to the Lakers... can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd quarter run they made...but they stepped up their defense and I remember a string of 4 or 5 possessions where Ron and Al were forced into poor shots by tough defense...when they should have been looking for open teammates. It doesn't take very many scoreless possessions in the NBA for a lead to evaporate.