PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Morey is a genius - NYK, SAC, HOU 3 Team Trade

Mr. Sobchak
02-18-2010, 02:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4924836&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

The Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kings and New York Knicks have agreed to terms that will expand the Houston-Sacramento deal into a three-way trade that lands Tracy McGrady with the Knicks, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Knicks will acquire McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez from Sacramento, sources said.

The Rockets get Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill and Jared Jeffries from New York and will have the right to swap first-round picks with New York in 2011 as well as take on New York's 2012 first-round pick.

Sacramento obtains Houston's Carl Landry and Joey Dorsey and New York's Larry Hughes.

Mr. Sobchak
02-18-2010, 02:46 PM
And I can't spell....can someone change the title?

wintermute
02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
very nice haul for the rockets.

what is sacto going to do with all their young pf's? i count 5 - landry, dorsey, thompson, greene, brockman. noc could probably play some pf too.

idioteque
The Rockets did in half a season what the Pacers have been trying to do for like 4 years.

tora tora
It will be nice to see McGrady play again.

Since86
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
And I can't spell....can someone change the title?

You have that ability BTW.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2010, 02:53 PM
According to ESPN's trade machine, this doesn't work.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2010, 02:53 PM
very nice haul for the rockets.

what is sacto going to do with all their young pf's? i count 5 - landry, dorsey, thompson, greene, brockman. noc could probably play some pf too.

Dorsey is worthless. He'll never wear a Kings jersey.

90'sNBARocked
02-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah

Bird will say today

"We talked to plenty of teams today, got close on several potential deals but ultimatley ferlt we didnt get enough trade value in returna dn werent willing to sacrafice cap space"

Or something to that effect

Do you realize to the rest of the NBA we have become a joke!!

idioteque
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
It is not completely fair to say this because I don't know what was on the table, but I'm starting to think that Bird is incredibly gun shy and not willing at all to take on risks. I'll probably start a thread about this later.

Mr. Sobchak
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
You have that ability BTW.

Couldn't figure it out. How do I do that?

Since86
02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Couldn't figure it out. How do I do that?

If you go to the advanced edit page, the title box should be at the top.

EDIT: I'm trying to remember it off the top of my head, or I would give ya more detail.

odeez
02-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Wow, all these trades going down, and we can't do a thing. " Be patient they say... 2011 they say..." Yeah, I know, but this is still so frustrating to watch, we better get a top 5 pick in the Draft, that's all I have to say.

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 03:03 PM
noc could probably play some pf too.

He did in Chicago.

Mr. Sobchak
02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
If you go to the advanced edit page, the title box should be at the top.

EDIT: I'm trying to remember it off the top of my head, or I would give ya more detail.

Thanks..:buddies:

rexnom
02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
This is incredible. Houston got younger, got picks and some serious talent. Mother of christ.

Pacersfan46
02-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow, the Knicks look like fools if they come up short in free agency and end up still being terrible. Swapping picks in 2011, AND giving up their 2012 pick.

I could see that ending up horribly.

-- Steve --

Speed
02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Houston feels like San Antonio right before they got Duncan.

LG33
02-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Good thing Houston traded away McGrady. It would really suck to have an overpaid oft-injured SG on your team.

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Walsh got his PG in Sergio :mad:. He also got rid of Jeffries and picked up a 23 mil expiring.

Pacersfan46
The Rockets did in half a season what the Pacers have been trying to do for like 4 years.

That might have something to do with the Pacers waiting for contracts to expire, and the Rockets currently holding the biggest expiring contract in the league.

Teams don't want "almost expiring contracts". They want expiring ones.

-- Steve --

d_c
This is incredible. Houston got younger, got picks and some serious talent. Mother of christ.

Hey, the Knicks might've gotten Lebron.

Really.

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Good thing Houston traded away McGrady. It would really suck to have an overpaid oft-injured SG on your team.

Did you forget to post in GREEN?

Speed
02-18-2010, 03:13 PM
That might have something to do with the Pacers waiting for contracts to expire, and the Rockets currently holding the biggest expiring contract in the league.

-- Steve --

Doesn't JO expire this year, maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder why Miami didn't use that, like this? Is his expiring their lotto ticket to the Lebron sweepstakes, maybe?

tadscout
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Do some of you realize that this deal was done with the leverage of a huge expiring contract behind it? Do you notice that we don't have anything like that right now (BUT will have even more expiring $ deals to work with next year to do these kind of things) in terms of expiring deals?

How the hell do you expect us to make these kind of deals if we don't have the pieces to do them? You can't just say I want to make a trade and expect other teams to bow to your wishes/demands... it takes two to tango in trades. Both teams needs, need to be met or there's no point (thus some these 'hey whattuda think about this kinda deal' normally make no sense b/c you're only thinking from your team's point of view).

You have to be patient and use your assets to get what you can get the most for them as Morey has proven with holding onto Mcgrady.

I rather us take the smart, patient, precise, and thought out with a plan approach to rebuilding, rather than the panic lets get this turned around ASAP!!! - but then actually not gotten as far as we could've if we had played our cards smarter approach (and then everyone would be complaining about that for years).

d_c
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Doesn't JO expire this year, maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder why Miami didn't use that, like this? Is his expiring their lotto ticket to the Lebron sweepstakes, maybe?

JO's contract expires this year.

They offered it to Phx for Amare, but Phx would've had to throw in additional players to make the numbers match. And Phx wanted Beasley, who the Heat simply wouldn't give up.

Heat are probably just going to let his deal expire and use the cap space to try to score a big FA next to Wade.

purdue101
02-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow - Morey just put through a hell of a deal.

Brooks/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Yao with Hill & Battier off the bench is competitive. Not to mention the 2011 pick swap and 2012 first. If NYK doesn't land a star this offseason, those picks are going to be gold. Lets not forgot this move gets Houston under the LT this year.

If 23 million in expiring contracts can land you that then I'm glad Bird is not making a move until next TDL.

ZepZach
02-18-2010, 04:00 PM
QUICK, TRADE MURPHY FOR LANDRY!

CableKC
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
The Kings traded KMart for Landry and Expiring Contracts.

I really wonder if they should get a bigger piece of the pie when it comes to this trade. Geez...with all the stuff the Rockets are getting from the Knicks....you'd figure that Petrie could somehow swing the future 1st...or maybe the right to swap picks...or get Jordan Hill ( who would be swung to some other Team for another asset ).

SoupIsGood
02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Not as crazy about this trade for the Rockets as you guys seem to be. Rockets give up a nice young solid player in Landry for the stringy oft-injured Kmart, a PF in Hill who will probably never be as good as Landry, and one/two picks from NYK that won't be very good once the Knicks cash in with free agents. Martin will continue to play 50 game a year, Hill and the picks will probably amount to 'meh,' while Landry will continue his solid play for the next 5-6 years. A lot of movement, but not a terrible amount of improvement.

Plus, wasn't Landry a fan favorite?

Thesterovic
02-18-2010, 05:15 PM
This deal is amazing. Cap space is fools gold, which will probably give Houston a top 15 pick at worst, unless if Lebron goes there. Kevin is a beast, Shane goes to the bench, Ariza doesn't have to shoot as much, Scola gets a bigger role, and Yao gets a player that can shoot out of double teams. Plus Hill, who Adelman might actually play.

Hill sure made Donnie look smart.

Young
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Hard to say who wins in this deal.

This will be pretty bad for New York if they can't use this cap space and/or if the Rockets get a stud with one of the Knick's picks.

The Rockets ehh did ok depending on those pick(s). Kevin Martin is good when he plays but the Kings didn't give him up for nothing. He is owed a lot of money something like $35 million over 3 years. Jordan Hill doesn't excite me but he is a rookie so he sould get better. Jared Jefferies is a very underratted player IMO I think he can really help the Rockets win some games.

I would think the Kings could have gotten a little more for Kevin Martin but Hughe's contract is expiring and Carl Landry is a nice player to bring in.

Not a bad deal for any of the teams involed but not a homerun for any of them either.

SycamoreKen
02-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Even if LeBron goes to New York how good are they going to be? Cleveland of 4 years ago? 1st or 2nd round and out? If they do sign him to big bucks will the new CBA cut them off at the knees the next year and prevent them from signing anyone else like happened to some teams a few years ago? I could care less where James ends up, but I'm almost hopeing the New York plans fails just to see how they deal with it.

If Houston could somehow get moved to the East they would really be in great shape!

idioteque
02-18-2010, 08:37 PM

-- Steve --

You're right, but we put ourselves in the financial hole we're in largely because of the GS trade. I know that it was a necessary trade at the time with the team's PR in ruins, but a few years later, are we really getting any more support from the citizens of the great state of Indiana?

Also absorbing Ford's terrible contract for JO was a mistake.

cdash
02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Plus, wasn't Landry a fan favorite?

Not really. The fan favorites down here are Battier and Scola.

Naptown_Seth
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow, the Knicks look like fools if they come up short in free agency and end up still being terrible. Swapping picks in 2011, AND giving up their 2012 pick.

I could see that ending up horribly.

-- Steve --
Yeah, that's got disaster written all over it. I know they want to go cheap, but at some point there's a limit to how much you need to spend because not everyone is actually going to be interested in joining the Knicks for the max.

Then again, if some curveball comes up and out of nowhere NYK pull in Wade and Lebron and Bosh, it'll be the greatest FA turnaround for a team ever. It'll make the LA Shaq steal looking boring.

I'm with Bill Simmons and a few others, I think the Knicks could get shut out totally and end up like the Bulls circa 99-00.

d_c
02-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah, that's got disaster written all over it. I know they want to go cheap, but at some point there's a limit to how much you need to spend because not everyone is actually going to be interested in joining the Knicks for the max.

Then again, if some curveball comes up and out of nowhere NYK pull in Wade and Lebron and Bosh, it'll be the greatest FA turnaround for a team ever. It'll make the LA Shaq steal looking boring.

I'm with Bill Simmons and a few others, I think the Knicks could get shut out totally and end up like the Bulls circa 99-00.

They're putting all their eggs into one basket, but if it's even for a 30-40% chance at a guy who is going wind up as one of the all time great players along with another MAX player, it's probably worth a shot.

MLB007
02-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Dorsey is worthless. He'll never wear a Kings jersey.

And Landry isn't really a 4. He posts up well but he's a tweener forward with a dencent outside shot. Don't know if he can guard 3's.

d_c
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
And Landry isn't really a 4. He posts up well but he's a tweener forward with a dencent outside shot. Don't know if he can guard 3's.

Landry is a small faceup 4 who is best suited coming off the bench (which he has all season). He's very good offensively in a lot of matchups.

The really good thing about him is how effective he is in the 4th quarter. He comes up big.

But playing him as a 35 mpg fulltime starter may not be the best use out of him. He'd probably be a lot less effective than he is right now (especially in the 4th quarter).

Mr. Sobchak
02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
If NY were to get say Lebron and Bosh it wouldn't really matter who they had around them IMO...

CableKC
02-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Seriously.....I really hope that happens. Morway would be laughing all the way to the bank.