PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Martin to Rockets

Willbo
02-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Another one bites the dust....

STEIN_LINE_HQ

Trade-deadline alert just filed to ESPN.com: Rockets have agreement in principal with Sacramento to acquire Kevin Martin

Willbo
02-18-2010, 01:20 AM
more...

STEIN_LINE_HQ

Although full trade details not yet known, one league source told ESPN.com that T-Mac will end up with Kings or Knicks by time deadline hits

STEIN_LINE_HQ
Deal could expand before Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline into a three-way trade scenario that lands Tracy McGrady in New York with Knicks

Lance George
02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Damn, this came out of nowhere. Earlier rumors were that Jordan Hill would be a part of the T-Mac deal, so if it becomes a three-way I suspect he'll end up in Sacramento.

Kemo
02-18-2010, 01:24 AM
As I have said before... I believe whoever ended up getting T-Mac , would be very lucky.

I think he not only has alot to prove , but that he still has alot in the tank , so to speak..
Alot of people, including the Rockets are gonna be kicking themselves in the proverbial a$$ for writing him off as an "injury laden has-been"..

The Kings or Knicks are gonna instantly be playoff bound with T-Mac back.. That is my prediction ..

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2010, 01:28 AM
As I have said before... I believe whoever ended up getting T-Mac , would be very lucky.

I think he not only has alot to prove , but that he still has alot in the tank , so to speak..
Alot of people, including the Rockets are gonna be kicking themselves in the proverbial a$$ for writing him off as an "injury laden has-been"..

The Kings or Knicks are gonna instantly be playoff bound with T-Mac back.. That is my prediction ..

:50cent:

Peck
02-18-2010, 01:28 AM

Um, you do realize that the Kings are 18-36 and are 13 games behind the 8th place Blazers in the very tough West?

How exactly is T-Mac making them playoff bound?

New York is only 7.5 out from 8th behind the Bobcats. Possible but really really unlikely.

Trophy
02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I really wish it said Kevin Martin to Pacers.

Looks like we're doing nothing again.

d_c
02-18-2010, 01:32 AM
I really wish it said Kevin Martin to Pacers.

Looks like we're doing nothing again.

2011 my friend.

pwee31
02-18-2010, 01:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al_an.q6NRAisK3Lf_Bxy2I5nYcB?slug=ys-kingstrade021710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Sacramento Kings are in advanced talks with the Houston Rockets on a trade that will swap Kevin Martin for Tracy McGrady, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Along with Martin, the Kings will send Sergio Rodridguez, Hilton Armstrong and Kenny Thomas to the Rockets. Joey Dorsey and Carl Landry will go to the Kings

Wow pretty big trade. The Kings also get Carl Landry.

The Rockets get Martin and still have a fair share of expiring contracts

CableKC
02-18-2010, 01:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al_an.q6NRAisK3Lf_Bxy2I5nYcB?slug=ys-kingstrade021710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Wow pretty big trade. The Kings also get Carl Landry.

The Rockets get Martin and still have a fair share of expiring contracts

I'm guessing it would be KMart+KennyThomas for TMac+whoever ( Landry? as you suggest ). The TMac has a huge contract.

CableKC
02-18-2010, 01:56 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-kingstrade021710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

The Sacramento Kings are in advanced talks with the Houston Rockets on a trade that will swap Kevin Martin(notes) for Tracy McGrady(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Along with Martin, the Kings will send Sergio Rodridguez, Hilton Armstrong(notes) and Kenny Thomas(notes) to the Rockets. Joey Dorsey(notes) and Carl Landry(notes) will go to the Kings.

Lance George
02-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Landry is putting up 16 ppg in just 27 minutes for the Rockets. If he plays bigger minutes in Sacramento, and he probably will, he'll likely be a 20 point scorer. Throw in T-Mac and his huge expiring contract and I think both teams made out pretty well.

I wish we could pry Rodriguez away from Houston, but I'm sure Daryl Morey knows what a good young player he is and wouldn't give him up cheap.

Kemo
02-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Um, you do realize that the Kings are 18-36 and are 13 games behind the 8th place Blazers in the very tough West?

How exactly is T-Mac making them playoff bound?

New York is only 7.5 out from 8th behind the Bobcats. Possible but really really unlikely.

well OBVIOUSLY not this late in the season... *rolls eyes* lol

I did say instantly, but I guess I should have clarified a little better.... my bad..

bulldog
02-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Not that I expect anyone to believe me, but I saw this coming from a mile away. Made too much sense.

Before his injuries, Martin was one of the most efficent scorers in the NBA. He hit threes, knocked down a high field goal percentage, and got to the line. He has to look great in Daryl Morey's computer models and such.

What's more, the Rockets were really well positioned to make a move. Lots of small-to-medium sized contracts, solid young(ish) talent, pieces they could move around. That's a quality organization. Ultimately, you often win a title through blind luck (drafting MJ or LeBron, for example), but the cream of the GM crop does the little things, signing guys to reasonable contracts, finding role players who can contribute, making the most out of late first round and second round draft picks. A few years down the line it puts you into position to make a deal like this.

Daryl Morey is a genius.

Lance George
02-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/wojyahooNBA)

If T-Mac gets buy out with Kings, he privately hopes to sign with Lakers or Cavaliers for the playoffs, source close to him tells Y!
21 minutes ago from web

No evidence Lakers would have interest, but Danny Ferry kept an eye on T-Mac this season. That said, unclear if either team would want him.
20 minutes ago from web

Before T-Mac can find himself on a contender, he has to prove he can play --- and he probably won't have the chance.
6 minutes ago from web

imawhat
02-18-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm puzzled by Houston's fascination with overpaid, injury-prone, one-dimensional players. I guess McGrady wasn't enough? Morey knows what he's doing though. ::shrugs::

Bball
02-18-2010, 03:47 AM
2011 my friend.

If the Pacers don't do something soon they be making plans to move in 2011...

mildlysane
02-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Now, where did Irsay park those Mayflower trucks....:mad:

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 07:10 AM

The Kings also get Carl Landry.

Any hope I had of a Kings/Pacers trade just went down the tubes with them getting Landry. They don't need another PF now. What is interesting now is with them getting Landry they have Greene playing PF, for those that feel he's not much try looking at his 1st 2 games after the ASB, and Jason Thompson who has been replaced by Greene. This makes me feel the Kings will trade Thompson this offseason. I really wanted Greene and Sergio R. has Pacers.:(:cry:

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 07:14 AM

Who is to say that isn't the plan?

I saw in the news this week Simon just offered BILLIONS for a competitor.

cinotimz
02-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Actually, this is potentially good news for Pacers fans. Sacramento is one of the teams the P's are battling for lottery position. This trade would seemingly make the Kings a bit better team and clearly vault the P's ahead of the Kings in the John Wall Sweepstakes.

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Actually, this is potentially good news for Pacers fans. Sacramento is one of the teams the P's are battling for lottery position. This trade would seemingly make the Kings a bit better team and clearly vault the P's ahead of the Kings in the John Wall Sweepstakes.

I had thought the samething. After seeing the trade, I looked at who had worse records than the Pacers that might be able to finish with a better record than the Pacers. If the Kings can start winning along with Golden State, I could see the Pacers getting 4th place in the draft.:dance::dance:

Plus stiil having Murphy and Jimmy will help as well.

Shade
02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
And, once again, an expiring contract nets an All-Star caliber player.

I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'... :-p

avoidingtheclowns
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Shade's right. Remember the All-Star caliber player we netted with Rasho's large expiring contract?

Chewy
02-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Kevin Martin is not expiring.

pacergod2
02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Shade's right. Remember the All-Star caliber player we netted with Rasho's large expiring contract?

Oh yeah. That All-Star. Also, what player in this deal is an All-Star? I don't see one. Maybe Landry?

One horribly inefficient scorer who scores in bunches. One efficient scorer who takes a beating with his wirey frame, thus getting himself hurt constantly, and plays no defense. Both have bigger names because they have been seen in the top 10 scoring list before. That's all they do though. Neither one of them plays a lick of defense. McGrady could be a better defender, he just doesn't care to be. Martin on the other hand I don't believe is capable of good defense. Neither of these guys in this deal are All-Star caliber.

count55
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

An expiring contract...and Carl Landry - 16 ppg scorer on a short, cheap contract.

graphic-er
02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Should have struck while the iron was hot. Bird is an idiot. Kevin Martin is a good player who was attainable.

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Kevin Martin is a good player who was attainable.

Obtainable yes, for Pacers no.

SycamoreKen
02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I saw Martin play in person this season against the Spurs before he got hurt. I really wasn't impressed. Evans looked really good and there is no way they could stay together filling the same spot. Martin could be a Ray Allen/Reggie/hamilton-light type player, but he is going to have to be in a system that gets him shots like those players do or did. It will be interesting to see how he fits in with Houston.

count55
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
I saw Martin play in person this season against the Spurs before he got hurt. I really wasn't impressed. Evans looked really good and there is no way they could stay together filling the same spot. Martin could be a Ray Allen/Reggie/hamilton-light type player, but he is going to have to be in a system that gets him shots like those players do or did. It will be interesting to see how he fits in with Houston.

It might take some pressure off of Ariza, who is having to take way too many shots.

Plus, Martin played for Adelman before, and Houston looooooooooves the long ball (shot more than the Pacers this year).

SycamoreKen
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, he should help Ariza and the bigs they have by giving them a little more room to opereate. When i saw him he tended to dominate the ball too much instead of being an option to pass to. If he can work with Brooks to spread the floor than they should have a better flow. I will say he does a pretty good job of drawong fouls and getting to the free throw line. The refs seem to give him the benifit of the doubt when he does drive to the basket.

IUfan4life
02-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I can't wrap my head around why Houston would trade landry.

also with tyreke evans already do the Kings even take john wall?

PaceBalls
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Tyreke is so overrated... he is a total ball hog. Kings chose the wrong guy to trade.

Wu-Gambino
02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Any rookie who comes in and averages 20-5-5 at the age of 20 (and who is a lock to win ROY) is not overrated.

PaceBalls
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
It's easy to get those numbers when you are a total ball hog and play all game...

If we let TJ Ford dominate the ball like Tyreke does and play the same amount of minutes he would have better numbers. Of course, his teammates would hate him and Danny would get like 5 shots a game. Danny is Kevin Martin in this scenario.

Pacersfan46
02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
It's easy to get those numbers when you are a total ball hog and play all game...

*EDIT*

Kevin Martin - 15.4 shots per game. 39% FG, 2.5 assists per, 35 minutes per game
Tyreke Evans - 15.9 shots per game. 46% FG, 5 assists per, 37 minutes per game

Just sayin ....

-- Steve --

PaceBalls
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM

*EDIT*

Kevin Martin - 15.4 shots per game. 39% FG, 35 minutes per game
Tyreke Evans - 15.9 shots per game. 46% FG, 37 minutes per game

Just sayin ....

-- Steve --

I'd like to see the numbers when they play together.

Pacersfan46
02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I'd like to see the numbers when they play together.

What does that have to do with anything, really? All of Martins numbers pretty much include Evans playing. What trend do you think you'd see that would indicate anything relevant?

*EDIT* Since Martin came back on Jan 15, Tyreke is averaging 14.5 shots per game. Below his season average. He's also averaging 6 assists per game. That's above his season average. It shows he has shot less and passed more since Martin came back. In this same time Kevin Martin is averaging 13.5 shots per game. 1 shot difference. A guy shooting 6% better from the field is taking 1 more shot per game. What a ball hog, indeed.

I have no idea what you're seeing, or think you're seeing. Tyreke Evans has a very good chance to reach a Dwayne Wade quality of NBA player. God forbid the guy learns how to shoot the 3 point shot at a good rate along his career. It would be a disaster trying to guard him.

-- Steve --

Speed
02-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I meant to mention this yesterday, but Kevin Martin reminds alot of Reggie Miller. With Houston, they have the defensive players to protect him and limit his weaknesses, with Battier and if Yao comes back. I think Kevin Martin will blow up next year.

PaceBalls
02-19-2010, 04:22 PM
What does that have to do with anything, really? All of Martins numbers pretty much include Evans playing. What trend do you think you'd see that would indicate anything relevant?

*EDIT* Since Martin came back on Jan 15, Tyreke is averaging 14.5 shots per game. Below his season average. He's also averaging 6 assists per game. That's above his season average. It shows he has shot less and passed more since Martin came back. In this same time Kevin Martin is averaging 13.5 shots per game. 1 shot difference. A guy shooting 6% better from the field is taking 1 more shot per game. What a ball hog, indeed.

I have no idea what you're seeing, or think you're seeing. Tyreke Evans has a very good chance to reach a Dwayne Wade quality of NBA player. God forbid the guy learns how to shoot the 3 point shot at a good rate along his career. It would be a disaster trying to guard him.

-- Steve --

Thanks for pulling the stats. Kevin did seem to get his shots then even with Tyreke out there. But there is more to it than just shots per game as well.
He is still a ballhog. So is Dwayne Wade, So is/was Allen Iverson, so is TJ when he can play the way he wants to. Ballhogs can be effective in the NBA, I just happen to not like them. I'd rather there be some sort of offense instead of the "Tyreke does his thing" gameplan.

PaceBalls
02-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I meant to mention this yesterday, but Kevin Martin reminds alot of Reggie Miller. With Houston, they have the defensive players to protect him and limit his weaknesses, with Battier and if Yao comes back. I think Kevin Martin will blow up next year.

Kevin is the assassin type player like Reg. I think Houston is the perfect fit for him too. I wish we could have gotten him and wish we had a team where he would have been a good fit. Alas neither of those things were going to happen. It would've been sweet to see him running off screens for dagger shots instead of Mike Dunleavy..

Pacersfan46
02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for pulling the stats. Kevin did seem to get his shots then even with Tyreke out there. But there is more to it than just shots per game as well.
He is still a ballhog. So is Dwayne Wade, So is/was Allen Iverson, so is TJ when he can play the way he wants to. Ballhogs can be effective in the NBA, I just happen to not like them. I'd rather there be some sort of offense instead of the "Tyreke does his thing" gameplan.

Guys like him have the ball in their hands because they can make things happen, for themselves and teammates. I only wish we had someone like that on our team. Tyreke is a walking mismatch. You'd be insane to not give him the ball more often than not.

Granger would play a more efficient and all around game if we had a guy like that on our roster. Granger can't get his own shot, he would be great with a guy like Tyreke who could draw attention and help Granger get his shot.

-- Steve --

Kemo
02-21-2010, 01:36 AM

As I said before whoever got TMAC would be walking away with a franchise piece..

That team being... as we now know , are the New York Knicks..

Last night's game vs the Thunder, even though the Thunder won 121 - 118 ..

Tracy McGrady's Boxscore

In 32 minutes played..

26 points

10-17 .... Fgm-a
1-3 .... 3pm-a
5-7 .... Ftm-a
4 .... Rebounds
5 .... Assists
1 .... Steals

Pretty damn impressive for being an "injury-laden has-been" ... *rolls eyes*

Mark my words... TMAC WILL make the Knicks relevant again...

I still wish we could have pulled off a deal and got him as our SG ....

Besides what TMAC is owed salary-wise .. It seems Walsh got him for a steal...IMO

<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=&videoId=games/knicks/2010/02/20/0020900817_okc_nyk_recap.nba" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=&videoId=games/knicks/2010/02/20/0020900817_okc_nyk_recap.nba" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

cdash
02-21-2010, 01:42 AM
As I said before whoever got TMAC would be walking away with a franchise piece..

That team being... as we now know , are the New York Knicks..

Last night's game vs the Thunder, even though the Thunder won 121 - 118 ..

Tracy McGrady's Boxscore

In 32 minutes played..

26 points

10-17 .... Fgm-a
1-3 .... 3pm-a
5-7 .... Ftm-a
4 .... Rebounds
5 .... Assists
1 .... Steals

Pretty damn impressive for being an "injury-laden has-been" ... *rolls eyes*

It was one game, he plays in a stat-friendly system in New York, he was too tired to play in overtime, and he's absolutely still an injury concern.

MyFavMartin
02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
So I went to look for a Carl Landry Houston Rockets jersey and they're all sold out. (Being at Purdue at the same time and being a fan of the Rockets red jersey, I was bummed.)

Needless to say, I'm getting Tracy's red swingman #3 jersey for $30, instead. If McGrady ever asks, I'll tell him I wanted Carl's instead. ;)

MyFavMartin
02-21-2010, 11:18 PM
You think that the Knicks might end up with TMac, LeBron, and Shaq?