PDA

View Full Version : Jamison to Cavs

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 07:12 PM
The Cavaliers have acquired Antawn Jamison from the Wizards, according to the Washington Post.

The trade has also been confirmed by sources that spoke to Brian Windhorst of the Beacon-Journal and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo!

The Wizards will receive Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Al Thornton, Brian Skinner and a 1st round pick, according to the source.

The Clippers are also involved and will receive Drew Gooden.

Along with Jamison, Cleveland will receive Sebastian Telfair.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64795/20100217/cavs_make_deal_for_jamison/#ixzz0fqFQ2gA9

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64795/20100217/cavs_make_deal_for_jamison/

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I wasn't particularly interested in Cleveland's hot garbage, so I'm fine with this news.

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 07:19 PM
I wasn't particularly interested in Cleveland's hot garbage, so I'm fine with this news.

yeah, we don't want an expiring a young talent and a draft pick for Murphy that is garbage:rolleyes:

Cactus Jax
02-17-2010, 07:19 PM
I think Al Thornton is quietly a nice piece in this deal for the Wiz. Definently better than Hickson imo. Guess the Clips really got their hopes up to try and get Lebron or somebody, otherwise it makes no sense.

Thesterovic
02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm going to put it this way;

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! IM SO MAD!

That felt good.

cdash
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I think Al Thornton is quietly a nice piece in this deal for the Wiz. Definently better than Hickson imo. Guess the Clips really got their hopes up to try and get Lebron or somebody, otherwise it makes no sense.

Eh, Al Thornton kind of sucks...

Hickson is better already imo and LeBron likes him. Cavs came out of this like gangbusters.

d_c
02-17-2010, 07:24 PM

I wonder what other fans are saying about not being able to get Troy Murphy.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
yeah, we don't want an expiring a young talent and a draft pick for Murphy that is garbage:rolleyes:
We weren't getting that for Murphy. The best we could've hoped for is a salary dump and a late 1st round pick. Not exactly an offer worth getting torn up over. I also object to your calling Hickson a "talent" (assuming that's who you meant). He's a terrible basketball player, NBDL-level.

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 07:26 PM

:ohyeah:

Pacersfan46
02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
We won't make a trade now. This set the price for Murphy for the rest of the league. And it should be less than what the Wiz got.

Bird won't accept that.

-- Steve --

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
That "other fans" were calling a 14/10 guy with lights out shooting a "big white stiff" makes their opinion uneducated, and therefor irrelevant.

ksuttonjr76
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Sigh....Plan B?

d_c
02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
That "other fans" were calling a 14/10 guy with lights out shooting a "big white stiff" makes their opinion uneducated, and therefor irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't clamor for trading for that other PF the Pacers have who is already a legend.

vnzla81
We weren't getting that for Murphy. The best we could've hoped for is a salary dump and a late 1st round pick. Not exactly an offer worth getting torn up over. I also object to your calling Hickson a "talent" (assuming that's who you meant). He's a terrible basketball player, NBDL-level.

so what are you expecting to get for Troy Murphy? Lebron? :confused:

Brad8888
No shock here. Jamison actually fits what the Cavs needed. Murphy never really did. The Cavs play defense, Murphy would get in the way of that which they would have been well aware of. Murphy's expiring contract means more than what he brings on the floor this summer, so we shall see. I would not be surprised if Orlando makes a run at him over the summer because they can afford to have Murphy for a year and he also would make a great replacement of what they lost when Turkoglu left.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
so what are you expecting to get for Troy Murphy? Lebron? :confused:
A productive player on a good contract who brings a valuable element warrants a decent return. Ersan Ilysova, Donte Greene, Sergio Rodrgiuez - all reasonable asking prices.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't clamor for trading for that other PF the Pacers have who is already a legend.

Fallacy: Red Herring (http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-herring.html)

Also Known as: Smoke Screen, Wild Goose Chase.

Description of Red Herring

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. Topic A is under discussion.
2. Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
3. Topic A is abandoned.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.

odeez
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
I am impressed with the Cavs bringing in AJ. That's a lot of money, but they made it happen. You have to give Washington some props too for moving the players they needed to. I am sure Z is coming back to the Cavs. Now why can't we do that, oh because nobody wants who we have, just sad!

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
I am sure Z is coming back to the Cavs.
I'd like to see Washington hold on to Z out of spite. Remember, the Cavs and Wizards were rivals for quite a few years. Who wants to do their rival any favors?

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 07:42 PM
this explain Morway's interview this evening he sounded like nothing is going to happen.

d_c
02-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Fallacy: Red Herring (http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-herring.html)

LOL. Murphy is who he is. Always has been.

Now, if other teams and their fans should perceive him to be as valuable as you say they should, then why don't the fans of his own team that he's spent 3 years playing for?

Why is it that they can't wait for him to be shipped out of town? I guess that makes people on Pacersdigest irrelevant and their opinions uneducated because Murphy brings 14/10 yet they don't value him enough for it.

Justin Tyme
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Hickson is better already imo and LeBron likes him. Cavs came out of this like gangbusters.

I like both Thornton and Hickson, but Thornton is the better player. Washington, as far as I'm concerned, got the better player.

Kstat
02-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't see why Z would cait a month to come back to be SHaq's backup when a handful of playoff teams would gladly take him tomorrow and start him.

Justin Tyme
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
He's a terrible basketball player, NBDL-level.

That's your opinion and you are more than entitled to it, but I'll take LeBron and Shaq's opinion. They have a "little first hand knowledge" of Hickson's talent campared to you.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
That's your opinion and you are more than entitled to it, but I'll take LeBron and Shaq's opinion. They have a "little first hand knowledge" of Hickson's talent campared to you.

They're also teammates and likely good friends of Hickson. Not exactly the makings of unbiased analysis.

J.J. Hickson blows. I'll stand by that claim until he actually does something worthwhile.

Anthem
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't see why Z would cait a month to come back to be SHaq's backup when a handful of playoff teams would gladly take him tomorrow and start him.
He'll get the same amount of money either way, and this way he gets a ring.

CableKC
02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
They're saying the same thing that the Cavs are saying.....glad that we didn't get Murphy.

imawhat
02-17-2010, 08:09 PM
%^&*

PacerDude
02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
J.J. Hickson blows. I'll stand by that claim until he actually does something worthwhile.Really ?? Have you looked at his stats ?? I wish the Pacers had a 2nd year player that plays like he does. Well, JOB wouldn't play him, but I digress.

Hickson isn't a slouch. In fact, I might say he has as much potential as anyone on the Pacers roster.

Hicks
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Really ?? Have you looked at his stats ?? I wish the Pacers had a 2nd year player that plays like he does. Well, JOB wouldn't play him, but I digress.

Hickson isn't a slouch. In fact, I might say he has as much potential as anyone on the Pacers roster.

Have you seen his hot spot chart? The dude was feasting on layups/dunks and was terrible anywhere else.

idioteque
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
JJ Hickson has an assist to turnover ratio almost as bad as Ike Diogu's. He doesn't entice me as anything more than another bench player that we would be adding to a roster of bench players.

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
They're also teammates and likely good friends of Hickson. Not exactly the makings of unbiased analysis.

J.J. Hickson blows. I'll stand by that claim until he actually does something worthwhile.

And Sergio "No Defense" Rodriguez would be better? :laugh: The dude can't get off the bench in front of the likes of Beno Udrih and Steve Blake..Spare me. Hickson is 21 years old and plays a position of need. We cannot do much better for Murph..The Kings are not going to give us Donte Green for him and the Bucks aren't going to give us Ilysova without taking on Bell's contract.

CableKC
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Really ?? Have you looked at his stats ?? I wish the Pacers had a 2nd year player that plays like he does. Well, JOB wouldn't play him, but I digress.

Remember the Lebron-factor.......just like anyone else that plays with Players that make their stats look better.....I'd have to see how he does without Lebron. I'm not saying that he's a bad player....I'm just saying that it's difficult to judge any player when playing next to Lebron.

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Have you seen his hot spot chart? The dude was feasting on layups/dunks and was terrible anywhere else.

He is far from a finished product though AND he is an asset...what do you think we could reasonably get for Murph?

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
He is far from a finished product though AND he is an asset...what do you think we could reasonably get for Murph?

Lebron:rolleyes:

Kstat
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
He'll get the same amount of money either way, and this way he gets a ring.

Not sure OKC wouldnt offer more and multiple years behind it.

d_c
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Judging from what the Bucks were offering: Some combo of Dan Gadzuric, Charlie Bell and Hakim Warrick.

PR07
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Three Things:

1. Ilgauskas has spent his entire career in a Cavs' uniform. Not many guys make it to the age of 34 and can say that. I think that's reason enough to sign on back with the Cavs.

2. For those dissing on JJ Hickson because he can't shoot, how many 21 year old big men can? Not everyone is Chris Bosh coming out. He has the tools to be a solid offensive player, but right now, he's strictly an athletic hustler inside. Considering, we have no idea when Psycho T is coming back, it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world to play someone at the PF who could potentially have a long-term future with us and become a starter. No, McRoberts isn't that guy.

3. Cleveland got a steal. No giving up Hickson is a win for the Cavs. Their first round pick will likely be one of the last picks.

LoneGranger33
02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
There's no way Big Z can pass a physical.

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
There's no way Big Z can pass a physical.

yes he can, he is been their healthier player in a long time, he was going to break some kind of record for more games played

Lance George
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
In his 54 games this year, Hickson has...

38 games of zero assists
1 game of more than 1 assist (a career high 2, vs. Utah)
2 games of double-figures rebounding
36 games of zero blocked shots

For the year Hickson has 17 assists and 53 turnovers.

I think a strong case could be made that J.J. Hickson is one of the 10 least skilled players in the entire league. He's like one of these freakishly tall African players that are drafted entirely on defensive potential (Saer Sene, Diop, etc.), yet unlike those guys, he's undersized and a non-shot blocker. His entire skilset consists of catching passes from LeBron for wide-open dunks.

We have a guy riding the pine, Josh McRoberts, who has more skill in his beard than Hickson has in his entire body.

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
In his 54 games this year, Hickson has...

38 games of zero assists
1 game of more than 1 assist (a career high 2, vs. Utah)
2 games of double-figures rebounding
36 games of zero blocked shots

For the year Hickson has 17 assists and 53 turnovers.

I think a strong case could be made that J.J. Hickson is one of the 10 least skilled players in the entire league. He's like one of these freakishly tall African players that are drafted entirely on defensive potential (Saer Sene, Diop, etc.), yet unlike those guys, he's undersized and a non-shot blocker. His entire skilset consists of catching passes from LeBron for wide-open dunks.

We have a guy riding the pine, Josh McRoberts, who has more skill in his beard than Hickson has in his entire body.

who cares? he was going to be an asset this summer staying or not staying here.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
JJ Hickson has an assist to turnover ratio almost as bad as Ike Diogu's. He doesn't entice me as anything more than another bench player that we would be adding to a roster of bench players.
For all of Diogu's defensive issues and inability to play anything close to team basketball, he had a great nose for the basket with some legit moves. Hickson doesn't even have that.

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
:laugh: Ok buddy...Let me know the next time McBob scores 24 points in a game...he has 54 points total this entire season.

Sookie
02-17-2010, 08:36 PM
:laugh: Ok buddy...Let me know the next time McBob scores 24 points in a game...he has 54 points total this entire season.

To be fair, McBob has to actually play...

jhondog28
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Dude that is a weak argument. Comparing stats with Hickson and McBob is apples and oranges. Hickson plays and McBob unless he marries JOBs daughter will continue to ride the pine

Pacersfan46
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes one of the 10 least talented players in the league is one of the 5 starters on the best team in the league .....

Sterling logic. LOL

-- Steve --

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Dude that is a weak argument. Comparing stats with Hickson and McBob is apples and oranges. Hickson plays and McBob unless he marries JOBs daughter will continue to ride the pine

There is a reason one plays and one doesn't...that's my point.

And its not like we're overloaded with talent at the 4 either...

Hicks
02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Put McRoberts on CLE's team and give him Hickson's minutes and I'd care to guess he'd have a 20+ point game too with LeBron drawing attention and making passes to him for wide-open dunks/layups.

QuickRelease
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM

http://nefoki.com/nba_trophy_white.jpg

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Put McRoberts on CLE's team and give him Hickson's minutes and I'd care to guess he'd have a 20+ point game too with LeBron drawing attention and making passes to him for wide-open dunks/layups.

Maybe...but I would venture to guess that if Hickson got traded here he would play in more than 18 games. I'm not knocking the guy, I just think its silly to say that McRoberts is infinitely more skilled than Hickson.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Yes one of the 10 least talented players in the league is one of the 5 starters on the best team in the league .....

Sterling logic. LOL

-- Steve --
23 year old Sasha Pavlovic was a starter for Cleveland the year they went to the Finals. Less than three years later and he's riding the pine for league's second worse team, Minnesota.

There's no indicator that any of Cleveland's success should be attributed to Hickson, and quite a bit that says it shouldn't.

QuickRelease
02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
To be fair, McBob has to actually play...

And points wouldn't be far fetched with Lebron drawing attention away from you. It's the old Chicago Bulls complex, where teams would go crazy for the available peripheral Bulls players.
"We gotta have 'player X'", until they realize that 'player X - MJ' = Y (did I go after this kid).

Mr. Sobchak
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM
23 year old Sasha Pavlovic was a starter for Cleveland the year they went to the Finals. Less than three years later and he's riding the pine for league's second worse team, Minnesota.

There's no indicator that any of Cleveland's success should be attributed to Hickson, and quite a bit that says it shouldn't.

But you would be stupid to say that Pavlovic is one of the 10 worst players in the NBA...

You sir are a master of hyperbole.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
But you would be stupid to say that Pavlovic is one of the 10 worst players in the NBA...

You sir are a master of hyperbole.

Have you checked out Sasha Pavlovic (http://espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2172) lately? .335 from the field, .259 from downtown, .429 from the line. He's atrocious on a good day.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Source: Dallas Mavericks would pursue Zydrunas Ilgauskas if he receives buyout from Washington Wizards - ESPN Dallas (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4923051)

owl
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Championship Ring?

Young
02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Jamison will obviously help the Cavs this year but he doesn't give the Cavs a clear edge over the Lakers. It doesn't give them a real promising future either.

The Wizards do alright. They get cap space and a pick but Al Throton doesn't sound too promising. Clipper fans seem to be glad he is going.

Clippers get cap space but for a guy who has shown he can play in the NBA, even though he has been inconsistent, and still on his rookie contract I would think you could get more than cap space for him. The Heat and Hornets, among a few other teams, could give a little more than cap space and take a chance on a guy like Throton. I guess not.

BornReady
02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
wizards are retarded

Thesterovic
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I will laugh my *** off if Lebron leaves and they are stuck with Shaq, Antawn, Mo, and Delonte's contracts. Danny Ferry will look really smart then, won't he?

SMosley21
02-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Are you kidding me? Al Thornton is easily better than JJ Hickson. Up to this point, and in the future Al Thornton > JJ Hickson. And that's with Thornton barely being utilized in LaLa land.

cdash
02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Are you kidding me? Al Thornton is easily better than JJ Hickson. Up to this point, and in the future Al Thornton > JJ Hickson. And that's with Thornton barely being utilized in LaLa land.

The Cavaliers weren't willing to give up JJ Hickson to get Jamison or Stoudemire. The Clippers literally just gave away Al Thornton. He sucks. He was given every opportunity to succeed with the Clippers, but couldn't do it.

rexnom
02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
So Cleveland didn't even give up a young player in this trade? Wow. Rarely do you see three-team trades be so one-sided.

Justin Tyme
02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Thornton. He sucks. He was given every opportunity to succeed with the Clippers, but couldn't do it.

That sucky Thornton stats are

48% FGA... 35% 3pt... 74% FT... 4 RPG... 10.7 PPG

Dadgum he sucks terribly.

littlerichard54
02-17-2010, 10:43 PM

I personally think this is a championship move by Cleveland. I have always really respected Jamison's game. He is one of the most well rounded players in the league. He doesn't necessarily do one thing exceptionally well, but he does many things very well. He doesn't need to be the star on any team.

Putting him on a team like Cleveland makes them really dangerous. Much better pick up than Murphy and much better fit than Amare IMO.

I didn't mean to quote this thread, but i don't feel like copying and pasting.

To add something to the quote, Al Thornton is a black hole that thinks he is better than he is.

SycamoreKen
02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Source: Dallas Mavericks would pursue Zydrunas Ilgauskas if he receives buyout from Washington Wizards - ESPN Dallas (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4923051)

He still has a better chance of winning with Cleveland.

Trophy
02-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Looks to me that Drew Gooden will stay with the Clippers.

There's always Sacramento. We can get it done later.

Please Bird, bring in Kevin Martin.

BlueNGold
02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
This trade just shows how much teams are being pinched. This is another giveaway trade where the rich get richer.

BTW, I think Jamison is a better fit for the Cavs than Amare...easily. Jamison will stretch the floor and provide consistent scoring to help Lebron. It really is huge. The Cavs have Varejao to help Shaq in the paint and when Lebron sits for a blow, Jamison can shift over to SF. It's really beautiful for the Cavs. Jamison probably has a couple more years left of high level play...and they got him at just the right time.

cdash
02-17-2010, 11:18 PM

In how many minutes per game? How many good looks does he get for being no better than the fourth option on the court? How is his defense? When you actually watch the Clippers play, you realize how bad Thornton is.

Dr. Awesome
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks to me that Drew Gooden will stay with the Clippers.

There's always Sacramento. We can get it done later.

Please Bird, bring in Kevin Martin.

Ew.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 11:20 PM
The Cavaliers weren't willing to give up JJ Hickson to get Jamison or Stoudemire. The Clippers literally just gave away Al Thornton. He sucks. He was given every opportunity to succeed with the Clippers, but couldn't do it.

I highly doubt they passed on Amare due to not wanting to give up Hickson. I think it's more likely Steve Kerr realized he would be getting raped and pulled out. I've also read that Miami is in the mix, and if so, could offer a much better package to Phoenix (possibly Beasley).

Also, who's to say Washington even wanted Hickson? Maybe they preferred Thornton which is why the Clippers were involved?

Dr. Awesome
02-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I highly doubt they passed on Amare due to not wanting to give up Hickson. I think it's more likely Steve Kerr realized he would be getting raped and pulled out. I've also read that Miami is in the mix, and if so, could offer a much better package to Phoenix (possibly Beasley).

Also, who's to say Washington even wanted Hickson? Maybe they preferred Thornton which is why the Clippers were involved?

:hmm:

Trophy
02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Ew.

Far from what I meant if that's what you think. :confused:

BRushWithDeath
02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
This shows how much our front office needs to be overhauled.

We ask for Z, Hickson, and multiple draft picks for Murphy. Washington asks for just Z and a pick for Jamison.

Twice the player. Half the price.

BornReady
02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
In how many minutes per game? How many good looks does he get for being no better than the fourth option on the court? How is his defense? When you actually watch the Clippers play, you realize how bad Thornton is.

absolutely correct
its just like saying troy murphy is a rebounding stud
his numbers certainly seem to suggest so

cdash
02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Also, who's to say Washington even wanted Hickson?

Logic. Even if the Wizards shared your bewildering hatred of JJ Hickson's game, even they would realize that he is what you would classify as an asset, whereas Al Thornton is not.

Kemo
02-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I am so tired of these primadonna superstars.. Everything is Lebron this, Kobe that.. Whatever they want.. they get... I mean seriously , when it was said in multiple stories, how Lebron wanted the Cavs to trade for Jamison ,did ANY of you REALLY think that it wouldn't happen?
Same goes for Hickson being his "boy" ..Did any of you REALLY think that the Cavs F.O. would want to anger "his highness" and trade Hickson? LOL puhhhleaze...

Why do you think Boobie Gibson is still there and hasn't been offered in any trades? It isn't cause he is simply fan-freaking-tastic...

Ding ding ding..
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MKF-3Eo4ovinrM:http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3589306/2/istockphoto_3589306-boxing-ring-bell-fire-alarm.jpg

That's right , cause he is Lebron's "lil brother".. as Lebron has been quoted as referring to Gibson as..
As long as Lebron is in Cleveland .. Gibson ain't goin nowhere .. mark my words..

Gotta cater to the King dontcha know...

rexnom
02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't get the bitterness. LeBron is probably my favorite part of the NBA right now. I love watching him more than the Pacers.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Why would Cleveland not do everything it can to cater to LeBron? And not just the Cavaliers. The entire city. He's their entire economy at this point.

mildlysane
02-18-2010, 07:16 AM
My thing is...if Lebron is "The King" and is great as everyone says, why do they have to keep adding allstar/former allstar players? I don't remember the Bulls adding allstars for the playoff run. Don't remember the Celtics adding DR J or Dominique Wilkins. I mean, the Cavs have the best record and best player in the league. Why not just stand pat? I know I know, they have to keep up with the Lakers...whatever. On the playgrounds, I use to like to run with inferior players and try and take out the "better" players. I really never looked around for the best two or three players and formed a team with them to try and destroy "lesser" players. Why not just combine the Lakers and Cavs teams and have a REALLY dominate team. This is kinda ridiculous....sorry, just a bit bitter.

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 08:16 AM

IN 17 minutes of PT. That's a little over 1/3 of the game minutes available.

No one has ever said he'a in the ALLSTAR category, but he's not in the "he sucks" category either. As far as his "D", just how many players in the NBA play good to great "D"? The Pacers have more than their share that don't!

I find it ABSOLUTELY AMAZING how posters homerize Rush with his wonderfulness in 28 MPG

41% FG... 38% 3pt... 60% FT... 4 RPG... and 8 PPG.

Isn't he a 4th player option? His 3pt% is almost what his FG% is. He gets a pass b/c he plays "D". It's nice he can do something when getting 28 minutes a game! Oh wait, Pacer fans are more tolerate of a player developing when they wear the Blue N Gold, but intolerate of other non-Pacer players development. Geez, it makes me wonder, were you one of those that said Nash and Billups sucked and never would amount to anything the 1st 5 years and numerous teams in their career? Both are Allstars and Nash still can't play "D".

count55
02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
My thing is...if Lebron is "The King" and is great as everyone says, why do they have to keep adding allstar/former allstar players? I don't remember the Bulls adding allstars for the playoff run. Don't remember the Celtics adding DR J or Dominique Wilkins. I mean, the Cavs have the best record and best player in the league. Why not just stand pat? I know I know, they have to keep up with the Lakers...whatever. On the playgrounds, I use to like to run with inferior players and try and take out the "better" players. I really never looked around for the best two or three players and formed a team with them to try and destroy "lesser" players. Why not just combine the Lakers and Cavs teams and have a REALLY dominate team. This is kinda ridiculous....sorry, just a bit bitter.

You mean the Bulls who had Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant, or the Bulls who had Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman and Ron Harper?

Are you talking about the Celtics who had Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, or the Celtics who added put Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen next to Paul Pierce to get their title?

The Lakers with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, and Scott, or the Lakers who added Glen Rice to Shaq and Kobe, or the Lakers who added Pau Gasol to Kobe and Odom?

The Spurs with Timmy and the Admiral, or the Spurs with Timmy, Parker, and Manu?

Miami, who added Shaq to Wade?

Houston, who added Drexler to get their second title?

Detroit who brought in Mark Aguirre to go with Isiah and Dumars (and Laimbeer and Mahorn and Rodman)?

Philly, who brought in Moses to pair with Julius (and Andrew Toney, Mo Cheeks, and Bobby Jones)?

But LeBron is required to win a title with a team where you have to argue whether Anderson Varejao or Mo Williams is the second best player to prove anything?

tora tora
02-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Good for them, but they still won't get past Boston...

Justin Tyme
02-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Boston isn't even going to be in the ECF, and Cleveland will.

Look for a Cleveland/LA finals with the Lakers winning it.

naptownmenace
02-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Sterling logic! Lebron makes everyone around him better. Just watch Hickson go on one of his famous 0-5 on 5 foot shots and closer when he's out there in garbage time and King James is chilling on the bench.

Hickson is no better than Solomon Jones on any other team without a player named Lebron, Kobe, or Wade.

quinnthology
02-18-2010, 10:10 PM
I really don't understand the absurd level of unnecessary Hickson bashing? So you don't like him, big deal. The Cavs obviously do and the point is that they won by not having to trade him. They think he's a reason why they are the best team in basketball, and there's no amount of stat posting you can do to prove them wrong. If you seriously want to compare him to Sasha Pavlovic, please... go watch Hickson vs the Heat and see him embarrass the 3rd best player in the game TWICE in one night. He is a superb athlete who definitely DOES have some low post footwork.

His job isn't to get assists, in fact his position on that team makes it exceptionally hard for him to be a distributor in any way, and I think most players who are in his exact situation could easily go 30+ games without a dime. Hickson is a young stud and I'd love him to have him on the Pacers. I said the same thing about Antoine Wright so I could be wrong... but the point of the whole discussion is that it's impossible to disprove the Cavs assessment of Hickson's importance, no matter how much you hate him.

Pacersfan46
02-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Have you checked out Sasha Pavlovic (http://espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2172) lately? .335 from the field, .259 from downtown, .429 from the line. He's atrocious on a good day.

This proves nothing. Pavlovic is not Hickson. Especially when Pavlovic shot 36%/30%/68% in a season while playing with Lebron. I'm not seeing the "post Lebron fall off" that you're suggesting he had, and are saying Hickson would suffer as well.

You make it sound like Pavlovic was good with the Cavaliers or something. To further the point, Pavlovic has shot 46% and 43% from the line in the last 2 seasons. Unless you'd like to argue that Lebron was shooting his free throws for him in the past, that fall off just shows that Pavlovic sucks and it has nothing to do with missing, or being on a team with Lebron.

Terrible argument.

-- Steve --

DGPR
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Boston won't get anywhere in the Playoffs this year. Garnett is breaking down more and more every game and they have to depend heavily on Paul Pierce to make up the difference. Even Bill Simmons is scared.

Kid Minneapolis
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Back to the original post...

This might have already been posted by someone, I dunno... anyway, this might sound crazy, but of all the big men the Cavs were "pursuing" (Amare, Jamison, Murphy), I actually thought Murphy made the most sense for the Cavs. That "stretch 4" --- I can completely see that working in Cleveland to a high degree of success. Amare in the paint with Shaq and Varejao? How does that work? Even if they dumped off one of the other two, still a lateral move. I really don't even see Jamison fitting in well there... guess we'll find out. Jamison makes better sense than Amare, at least...

Seems like Murphy could come in and get kick-outs from LeBron and hit 3s all day, or the trailing 3s from the top of the key. The last thing they need is another big dude in there clogging up the paint or the baseline and preventing LeBron easy paths to dunk on people's heads.

Jamison and Murphy make roughly the same amount, contracts expire same year (I think), Jamison is 4 years older, though.

Jamison scores a few more points, but Cleveland doesn't struggle scoring the ball... I dunno...

dohman
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Why cater to lebron? Even if lebron drops 30-40 the team still has to score another 60.... He needs players around him that can put that ball through the hoop. Don't say the bulls didnt add players to make a playoff run, they had jordan and pippen. Not to mention rodman doing a lot of the dirty work.

Lance George
02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
This proves nothing. Pavlovic is not Hickson. Especially when Pavlovic shot 36%/30%/68% in a season while playing with Lebron. I'm not seeing the "post Lebron fall off" that you're suggesting he had, and are saying Hickson would suffer as well.

You make it sound like Pavlovic was good with the Cavaliers or something. To further the point, Pavlovic has shot 46% and 43% from the line in the last 2 seasons. Unless you'd like to argue that Lebron was shooting his free throws for him in the past, that fall off just shows that Pavlovic sucks and it has nothing to do with missing, or being on a team with Lebron.

Terrible argument.

-- Steve --

The only reality-based argument I've seen for Hickson being any good is that he's starting for the 43-12 Cavs. Once you realize that starting for a great team doesn't automatically make you a worthy player, as the Pavlovic analogy proves, it becomes clear that the Hickson fanboys have absolutely nothing left.

You have no argument.

tora tora
05-14-2010, 03:10 AM
:bump:

Boston isn't even going to be in the ECF, and Cleveland will.

Boston won't get anywhere in the Playoffs this year. Garnett is breaking down more and more every game and they have to depend heavily on Paul Pierce to make up the difference. Even Bill Simmons is scared.
:whistle:

Lance George
05-14-2010, 04:38 AM
I stand corrected regarding J.J. Hickson. He really brought it in the postseason. 3.5 ppg, 0.8 rpg, and one assist and zero blocked shots in 11 total games.

The legend is growing.

Justin Tyme
05-14-2010, 10:04 AM
:bump:

:whistle:

I based that comment on the way Cleveland was playing during the season, the way Boston was playing during the season, and the age of Boston's big 3. I obviously didn't take in consideration the play of Rondo!!!

Justin Tyme
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I stand corrected regarding J.J. Hickson. He really brought it in the postseason. 3.5 ppg, 0.8 rpg, and one assist and zero blocked shots in 11 total games.

The legend is growing.

JJ played well when Shaq and Z weren't available. I wasn't impressed with Brown's coaching or rotations during the Celtics series. He seemed to have forgotten what made the Cavs win 60 plus games. I don't expect him to be back even if James stays.

I still think Hickson can be a good player.

Kstat
05-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Hickson was a hell of a lot better as a starter than Jamison.