PDA

View Full Version : The most underrated Pacer

Trophy
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Not naming everyone. Just those who don't get much playing time.

Sookie
02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, A.J.'s the best player out of that bunch. And honestly, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree to that. So that would mean he's not underrated in that context.

Head's the second best player. And once again, we all know what to expect of him.

I honestly haven't seen any of the others. My guess is McBob.

But to be honest, we have no idea. None of them have had significant time. Despite showing some promise.

OakMoses
02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Diener's probably the best 3rd string PG in the NBA. I'd even go so far as to say that he's a very serviceable 2nd string guy. When he got extended minutes a couple years ago, he ran the offense far better than anybody we've seen other than Jack. He very rarely turns the ball over and he's the best outside shooter we've had at the position for a long time. He's not a game-changer or anything like that, but if I were a team with a stud PG who need 10-15 minutes of rest per game, I'd have no hesitation with Diener as my backup.

AlexAustin
02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I would say Hansbrough is the most underrated Pacer overall, We get people here and on other Pacer sites calling him a bust and talking about what he can and can't do when the fact of the mater we have no idea what he can't do since he has yet to play at 100% with no restrictions.

The only times he's broke 25m hes got double-doubles and apparently with effects of the ear problem since they were the 2 days before he was shut down, Yes its frustrating he not playing but he's still a long way from being a bust.

Slick Pinkham
02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Underrated? Most NBA fans of other teams have never heard of any of them, so they aren't even rated.

They are bench players on a poor team, and that is likely where they ought to be, so I cast a write-in vote for "none of the above"

If I had to pick one to get more minutes, it would be Price. I understand that McRoberts has athletic skills that by and large no one knows about, so he may be considered.

Young
02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I went with Luther Head.

I have wanted him on the Pacers for several seasons. He isn't a great player but I think he is nice to have come off the bench. I hope the Pacers keep him.

AJ Price is one of the best, or the best, unknown rookie out there. I mean people know about him from his college days but they don't realize what he has shown this year in the NBA. I think he has shown he belongs in the league and is defiantly showing more then what you expect from most players picked 52nd (I think) in the draft.

jhondog28
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I actually think AJ is overrated by most on this board. I think he is a good player but come on our PGs are pretty bad so he is hard to gauge. I actually voted for McBob

cdash
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I vote for "none of the above"

Lance George
02-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Troy Murphy, bar none. He's been our best player this year, and is the biggest reason we're not completely atrocious.

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Rush is the most underrated

Putnam
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
If you exalt a player with the distinction of "Most Underrated" aren't you proving thereby that he isn't?

Thesterovic
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Luther Head. He's been the closest thing to providing penetration all season.

But, out of the whole roster, TJ, at least recently has been very good. And everyone hates him, so he's is "negative" rated. So actually he should be like +1 rated, if that makes any sense.

Unclebuck
02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
In this forum it is either Ford or Murphy. Mainly because no one is that bad

sportfireman
02-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Rush is the most underrated

Rush is the most undervalued.

Sookie
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Luther Head. He's been the closest thing to providing penetration all season.

But, out of the whole roster, TJ, at least recently has been very good. And everyone hates him, so he's is "negative" rated. So actually he should be like +1 rated, if that makes any sense.

He's been a very good scorer. He's not a very good point guard.

Although maybe it's not all his fault he stinks. Maybe if the coach would put him in a position to succeed, like last night..as say..a scorer off the bench..people wouldn't have such a big problem with TJ.

MLB007
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Troy Murphy, without a doubt.

Infinite MAN_force
02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
AJ is the best player, but we all know that. I voted Mcbob because I think he is better than he gets credit for from a lot of people.

diamonddave00
02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Troy Murphy , Im sorry knock him all you want but how many NBA big men average a double/ double and shoot the 3 like a guard?

Trophy
02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Troy Murphy , Im sorry knock him all you want but how many NBA big men average a double/ double and shoot the 3 like a guard?

I would definitly say the same, but I was naming those who don't see much playing time.

count55
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
If you exalt a player with the distinction of "Most Underrated" aren't you proving thereby that he isn't?

In this forum it is either Ford or Murphy. Mainly because no one is that bad

Troy Murphy, without a doubt.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that everyone listed in the poll is obscenely overrated...at least around here.

Trophy
02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that everyone listed in the poll is obscenely overrated...at least around here.

I should've worded the question differently.

Maybe who can be the most affective player on this list give more minutes?

MLB007
02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I should've worded the question differently.

Maybe who can be the most affective player on this list give more minutes?

That's different, AJ.

Thesterovic
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
In that case, than it's AJ and it's not even relatively close at all.

Sookie
02-18-2010, 08:17 PM
In that case, than it's AJ and it's not even relatively close at all.

Yea, AJ. And as said, there's not another player on that list that's even close.

Hicks
02-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Well, to be fair, he only scores in double-figures BECAUSE of said 3 and not because he plays like a big man at all.

imawhat
02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I think the initial post was pretty clear. We know how our coach rates the players by the amount of playing time they receive.

Only one player on that list gets consistent minutes, and not ironically, is the most overrated player on that list. Two of those players have done nothing but prove they deserve a spot in the rotation, even if it's only 10-15 minutes a game. Those players are A.J. Price and Josh McRoberts. They are easily the most underrated players on the team.....not on this board, but where it really counts.

If I had to pick one, it's McRoberts. He's never been given a chance to play himself out of a rotation AND has shown very little that says he shouldn't be in it. He has considerable talent but he's missing the most visible asset to most fans and our coach: a jump shot. Still, we've complained about our pick and roll defense and lack of athleticism down low (one of our biggest weaknesses) and he shores both up instantly.

It's too bad our coach only sees good defense when a player happens to be knocking down shots. For that reason McRoberts will never get a chance. This is what makes the A.J. Price situation more puzzling, and also puts him in a close second for most underrated. He was shooting better than the other guards and found his way out when a guy that was 1-30 from 3 pt range (imo, the reason he left the rotation in the coach's mind) hit 4 of his next 6 threes.

In any case, two of these guys can add something to the team right now. Another one can run an offense efficiently but can't defend, another one provides energy but has no strength/presence, and another one jacks up shots on offense and gets preyed upon on defense.

Sookie
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I think the initial post was pretty clear. We know how our coach rates the players by the amount of playing time they receive.

Only one player on that list gets consistent minutes, and not ironically, is the most overrated player on that list. Two of those players have done nothing but prove they deserve a spot in the rotation, even if it's only 10-15 minutes a game. Those players are A.J. Price and Josh McRoberts. They are easily the most underrated players on the team.....not on this board, but where it really counts.

If I had to pick one, it's McRoberts. He's never been given a chance to play himself out of a rotation AND has shown very little that says he shouldn't be in it. He has considerable talent but he's missing the most visible asset to most fans and our coach: a jump shot. Still, we've complained about our pick and roll defense and lack of athleticism down low (one of our biggest weaknesses) and he shores both up instantly.

It's too bad our coach only sees good defense when a player happens to be knocking down shots. For that reason McRoberts will never get a chance. This is what makes the A.J. Price situation more puzzling, and also puts him in a close second for most underrated. He was shooting better than the other guards and found his way out when a guy that was 1-30 from 3 pt range (imo, the reason he left the rotation in the coach's mind) hit 4 of his next 6 threes.

In any case, two of these guys can add something to the team right now. Another one can run an offense efficiently but can't defend, another one provides energy but has no strength/presence, and another one jacks up shots on offense and gets preyed upon on defense.

And that's the saddest thing about the Price situation.

Ford's back in the rotation, not because he ran the offense well, not because he limited his turnovers, not because he scored efficiently, not because he shared the ball well (notice he didn't even do all of these things)

But because he knocked down threes.

And you know what the worst thing about it is. I think Ford knew it. Ford knew if he made his threes, he's be back in. Price naively thought that if he ran the offense well, shared the ball, limited his turnovers ect..that he was doing what he was supposed to do. Silly silly rookie.

minxsie
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I voted Diener... I miss seeing him play. I've also been infatuated with him for a long time so.... I guess I'm a little biased.

It's a toss up between him and McRoberts for me. :-p <-- kinda creepy smiley

Squirrelz
02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Earl Watson.

I think if he could run a more structured offensive scheme with a bit more confidence in it, I think he could be very good. He's capable of 8+ assists a night.

I voted Diener in the poll. I miss the guy. :/

BigRik
02-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Before I vote, is that underrated by the casual fan, this forum, or the coach?

Sookie
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Before I vote, is that underrated by the casual fan, this forum, or the coach?

I think it's from the perspective of the coach..as in.."who should be getting mroe time but isn't"

McKeyFan
02-19-2010, 10:38 PM
The most underrated Pacer is Earl Watson.

Hands down.

We will miss him badly if he does not return.