PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger 2nd most overated star in the NBA?

90'sNBARocked
02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
http://twitter.com/Wells222

Top five most overrated players, according to SI's player poll - 1. T-Mac 2. Granger 3. Aldridge 4. Iguodala 5. LeBro
about 2 hours ago from web

@ryansmithtp it'll be in the sports illustrated that comes out 2morrow

Wow,

I didnt know Granger was that highly thought of in the league to be considered overated.

I wonder if this is why he kind of got "frozed out" in last years all-star game

McKeyFan
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Overrated in hype, maybe.

I don't think he's overrated when you take into account his salary.

Sollozzo
02-16-2010, 06:56 PM
The fact that Lebron is on the list should tell you that it means absolutely nothing.

odeez
02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
If I was Danny I would use all this for fuel going forward. Some people act like he is getting max money or something. The kid is a baller, and has a pretty good contract vs his offensive production. I know he is supposed to be the man on our team & lead us to glory, most of which he did a good job of last year. This year has been a disaster for the team as a whole, no question. I think folks are just bored! The poll is a total joke! But all this is to be expected when a team loses, it just cracks me up how we always want to blame somebody and point fingers... I know, it's how the world works!

Lord Helmet
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
The fact that Lebron is on the list should tell you that it means absolutely nothing.
Maybe Kobe is number 6.

sportfireman
02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Maybe Kobe is number 6.

I was thinking Wade:laugh:

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Absolutely nothing? Surely, how you're viewed by your peers should mean at least something.

It's funny how everyone agreed when Artest and SJax came in the top 5 in SI's "Who would you least like to have on your team" player poll last year. But now, when Granger is getting unfavorable reviews from his peers, it means nothing.

And I'm not saying Danny is overrated, I love the guy.. but I don't think you can completely discredit what people who play against him every day think of him.

Sookie
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I think Lebron's overrated.

It's not that I don't think he's a fantastic player, and perhaps the best player in the league.

But some like to already say he's the best ever. Truth is the guy depends way too much on his athleticism and hasn't won anything. So if people are considering him the best ever, that's overrating him.

cdash
02-16-2010, 08:40 PM

It's not that I don't think he's a fantastic player, and perhaps the best player in the league.

But some like to already say he's the best ever. Truth is the guy depends way too much on his athleticism and hasn't won anything. So if people are considering him the best ever, that's overrating him.

I have never read a single story or report or anything that says LeBron is already the best ever. People say he has the tools and the talent to possibly be the best ever (which is absolutely true), but no one actually says he already is.

Sookie
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I have never read a single story or report or anything that says LeBron is already the best ever. People say he has the tools and the talent to possibly be the best ever (which is absolutely true), but no one actually says he already is.

I've heard it multiple times. That he is already, or will be.."Jordan never averaged blah blah blah"

plus, I wouldn't be suprised if players in the league are just sick of him being shoved down their throats.

vnzla81
02-16-2010, 09:07 PM
plus, I wouldn't be suprised if players in the league are just sick of him shoving the ball down their throats.

fixed:D

cdash
02-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I've heard it multiple times. That he is already, or will be.."Jordan never averaged blah blah blah"

plus, I wouldn't be suprised if players in the league are just sick of him being shoved down their throats.

Do you have a link or anything?

The second part of your post is probably the reason LeBron's name shows up on this list.

Hoop
02-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I think Team USA has a different opinion of Danny.

Until proven otherwise, I going with his mediocre performance so far this season is due to injury and stranger than usual JOB ball.

Thesterovic
02-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Lebron is closer to Bird/Magic than Jordan. He loves to get his teammates involved.

BornReady
02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
lol rounding out the top ten is kobe wade dirk paul and durant

ksuttonjr76
02-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I think he's a good player, but I never thought of him as being a "great" player. Heck, I wouldn't have put him in the same league as the players mentioned with him minus Aldridge. I think he's better than him.

02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Refering to LeBron as "overated" negates anything this writer says. LeBron is not Michael Jordan, but he is an animal. Furthermore, Tracy McGrady is a "has been" because at one time TMAC was a very dominate player.

Cheers.

Naptown_Seth
02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
TMac is overrated???

Does anyone think of him as strong now? No. So unless he's dead and I didn't hear I don't see how he's overrated.

Sparhawk
02-16-2010, 10:42 PM

Lebron is not overrated. Does Lebron have a Scottie Pippen type player to play along side of? Hell no he doesn't. Pippen was one hell of a player and Lebron doesn't have anyone like that on his team.

I didn't think Danny Granger was that well known to be considered overrated. There are many players more overrated than Danny Granger. Not sure what their criteria was for being overrated, but it's not like Danny has any real protection.

MillerTime
02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
LOL how is Lebron overrated at all?????????????????

BlueNGold
02-16-2010, 11:13 PM
These days, the best teams have 3 or 4 all-stars....where a player like Lebron is left with an ancient Shaq and a cast of very average starters. Mo Williams is the only other player scoring in double figures.

Imagine Lebron with Bynum, Odom, Gasol and Artest....or with Garnett, Rondo and Ray Allen. There would be no way to stop that team.

OrganizedConfusion
02-16-2010, 11:28 PM

Exactly, so many fans think he is the G.O.A.T. this early in his career. I'm not surprised if a lot of players think he is overrated.

As for the stats, you should say that LeBron has never scored 81 points in a game or even 69 (Jordan) for that matter. Then you can win the argument on their terms. :D

Sookie
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
These days, the best teams have 3 or 4 all-stars....where a player like Lebron is left with an ancient Shaq and a cast of very average starters. Mo Williams is the only other player scoring in double figures.

Imagine Lebron with Bynum, Odom, Gasol and Artest....or with Garnett, Rondo and Ray Allen. There would be no way to stop that team.

See, I hate that argument.

Lebron's team is isn't great without him. But they are completely built around him.

Why do you think they want Troy. Not because he's a fantastic player, but because he'll fit well with Roy. He needs players that space the court, can hit the three, so that he can drive to the lane..and teams can either chose to try and stop him, or defend the three pointers.

The Laker's aren't built around Kobe. They are built around Phil Jackson's offensive system. And Kobe happens to be a Superstar filling in his role.

d_c
02-16-2010, 11:57 PM
The Laker's aren't built around Kobe. They are built around Phil Jackson's offensive system. And Kobe happens to be a Superstar filling in his role.

FWIW, Phil Jackson's offensive system is struggling quite mightily in Minnesota.

Hicks
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
FWIW, Phil Jackson's offensive system is struggling quite mightily in Minnesota.

They're running the triangle?

vnzla81
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM

yes they are, reason why they wanted Danny.

d_c
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM

Yep. Kurt Rambis spent 8 years as the top assistant to the most successful coach in NBA history with the Lakers. He brought everything he learned under Phil Jackson to the T-Wolves, including the offensive system.

And he's showing everyone exactly how much a coach's system is worth if you don't have the (talented) players to execute it.

BlueNGold
02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
See, I hate that argument.

Lebron's team is isn't great without him. But they are completely built around him.

Why do you think they want Troy. Not because he's a fantastic player, but because he'll fit well with Roy. He needs players that space the court, can hit the three, so that he can drive to the lane..and teams can either chose to try and stop him, or defend the three pointers.

The Cavs have a great record...and with their talent level I have to agree that the team is built around Lebron. However, I hope you are not suggesting that this lineup:

West
Gibson
Lebron
Hickson/Varejao
Shaq

provides more help to Lebron than this one:

Fisher
Artest
Lebron
Gasol/Odom
Bynum

Sookie
02-17-2010, 12:22 AM
The Cavs have a great record...and with their talent level I have to agree that the team is built around Lebron. However, I hope you are not suggesting that this lineup:

West
Gibson
Lebron
Hickson/Varejao
Shaq

provides more help to Lebron than this one:

Fisher
Artest
Lebron
Gasol/Odom
Bynum

I am suggesting that the first lineup is better suited for Lebron. And allows Lebron to play to his best abilities.

Stick him on the Laker's, in Phil's system. And he wouldn't play as well. They aren't an amazing team. But they are a perfect fit for Lebron.

Lebron needs shooters. He needs teammates who can pull opposing team's players out of the lane.

Kobe on the other hand needs "big guys" down low. And the offensive system he plays in, is good for him. He's got a similar style to MJ..who obviously played well in that system as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he wouldn't be fantastic in Phil's system. I'm just saying his game isn't best suited for it. His game is best suited for the system he's in now, with the teammates he has now.

Trophy
02-17-2010, 12:24 AM
He goes from one of the most underrated players in the league last season to one of the most overrated players in the league this season?

Trader Joe
02-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Can't wait to watch Lebron dominate the NBA the rest of the season once SI publishes this...

spreedom
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM

For one, it's Tex Winter's offense. And for two, any offense would struggle in Minnesota.

90'sNBARocked
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
What I find most striking about this article is that it was a players poll.

Whya re they hating on Granger? Who is talking about him soo highly to be even considered overated?

Post it on the chalkboard and FEED of it everynight!

pacergod2
02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Because last year everybody thought they should have gotten on the All-Star team, but it was Granger who deserved it. This poll had to have been finished before the All-Star game announced its players this year. Jealousy's a *****.

My list of overrated players:

1. Vince Carter
2. Luol Deng
3. Kevin Martin*
4. Gilbert Arenas*
5. Richard Jefferson

Honorable Mention: Tayshaun Prince, Troy Murphy, Amare Stoudemire, Micahel Redd*, Corey Maggette, Tracy McGrady*, and Allen Iverson^.

* These guys have struggled due to injury but were overrated outside of their injuries, which further their overratedness.

^ His fall from grace has been dramatic and doesn't necessarily warrant being on this list.

ksuttonjr76
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Yep. Kurt Rambis spent 8 years as the top assistant to the most successful coach in NBA history with the Lakers. He brought everything he learned under Phil Jackson to the T-Wolves, including the offensive system.

And he's showing everyone exactly how much a coach's system is worth if you don't have the (talented) players to execute it.

Or coach is not teaching it right. The triangle offense is considered to be one of the tougher offensive system to learn from a player perspective, but very successful once learned. I guess you never consider a team talented unless they're filled with future hall-of-famers or all-stars. If the Chicago Bulls of the 90's weren't "loaded" with talent. They just had the right combination of players to make the system work.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/

You're more than welcome to click on each year to view the rosters from those periods.

d_c
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Or coach is not teaching it right. The triangle offense is considered to be one of the tougher offensive system to learn from a player perspective, but very successful once learned. I guess you never consider a team talented unless they're filled with future hall-of-famers or all-stars. If the Chicago Bulls of the 90's weren't "loaded" with talent. They just had the right combination of players to make the system work.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/

You're more than welcome to click on each year to view the rosters from those periods.

The Wolves and Lakers are the only teams in the league running the triangle offense as their predominant offensive strategy.

As we can see, the team with the superior talent (Lakers) seem to the be ones better at executing it. Big surprise that is.

Phil Jackson's teams that won with the Bulls and Lakers only had some of the greatest players to ever lace up sneakers. Not all that talented.

ksuttonjr76
02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
The Wolves and Lakers are the only teams in the league running the triangle offense as their predominant offensive strategy.

As we can see, the team with the superior talent (Lakers) seem to the be ones better at executing it. Big surprise that is.

Phil Jackson's teams that won with the Bulls and Lakers only had some of the greatest players to ever lace up sneakers. Not all that talented.

Outside of Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq who were some other "great" players? Jackson had arguablely some of the top players in the history of the NBA.

d_c
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Outside of Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq who were some other "great" players? Jackson had arguablely some of the top players in the history of the NBA.

Horace Grant was an all-star PF. He was in many ways like Dale Davis with the ability to hit a face up 15 footer. Imagine how that would have changed the Pacers offense if Dale had the ability to do that. Everyone talks about how important a role Dale Davis had with the Pacers and yet hardly everyone mentions that 1st dynasty Bulls had someone who was every bit as good as Dale.

The Bulls also had Toni Kukoc in his prime serving as a 3rd/4th option and eventually became a 6th Man of the year winner. At the time he came over to the Bulls, he was considered the best player in Europe.

Dennis Rodman was arguably the best rebounder/defender of his generation and he was the Bulls 3rd or 4th best player.

Even without those guys, when you have talent like Jordan/Pippen/Kobe/Shaq, you can just litter the rest of the roster with vet role players who are good at one or two particular things and know their roles. How often can a coach claim that he has 2 of the 5 best players in the league on his roster? Jackson can claim that over several years. Who else in modern NBA history can say that. That is just unreal.

And the Bulls had the best teams once the Pistons and Celts eventually got old and faded away. Look who they beat: The Knicks, who had Ewing/Oakley/Starks and not much else. The Suns who had Barkley/KJ/Majerle and a bunch of other role players. The Jazz, who had Stockton/Malone and bunch of role players.

Regardless, Kurt Rambis is the most qualified guy in the league right now to teach the triangle offense as a head coach. He spent 8 years as Jackson's top assistant. Right now, it's failing miserably, but I hardly blame it on Rambis. He just doesn't have talented enough guys who can execute that scheme successfully.

Trophy
02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
At least he's well known now.

Something like this is just based on opinion which all of us have.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
1. Monta Ellis (stat padding turnover machine, the definition of loser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kz7YUdy-Cg))
2. Tayshaun Prince (exposed as a bottom-tier starting SF once the talent around him dwindled, oft-injured and terribly overpaid)
3. Devin Harris (injury prone with terrible shooting percentages, not the kind of point guard you win with)
4. Kirk Hinrich (never better than average, he's been pure garbage for three years now)
5. Al Horford (solid player, but disappointing for his draft position, not even close to a legitimate all-star)

d_c
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
5. Al Horford (solid player, but disappointing for his draft position, not even close to a legitimate all-star)

Al Horford is a big reason the Hawks are as good as they are. He's their only real inside presence playing as an undersized center.

His abilities allow the Hawks to play a quick/undersized lineup without getting totally killed inside and on the boards. He was the consensus #3 pick in the draft and his play has justified it.

Trophy
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Jason Kidd currently is overrated.
Shaq is currently overrated.
Tracy McGrady is currently overrated.
Allen Iverson currently.

d_c
02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Jason Kidd currently is overrated.
Shaq is currently overrated.
Tracy McGrady is currently overrated.
Allen Iverson currently.

Those are all guys who are past their primes because of age/injury. Sure, they're overrated if you're comparing them now to the reps they had during their prime years, but I don't think many people are doing that (except for some fans who vote for all stars).

Trophy
02-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Those are all guys who are past their primes because of age/injury. Sure, they're overrated if you're comparing them now to the reps they had during their prime years, but I don't think many people are doing that (except for some fans who vote for all stars).

I agree. I wouldn't make a huge trade to get any of these guys or get any of them at all.

Lance George
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Al Horford is a big reason the Hawks are as good as they are. He's their only real inside presence playing as an undersized center.

His abilities allow the Hawks to play a quick/undersized lineup without getting totally killed inside and on the boards. He was the consensus #3 pick in the draft and his play has justified it.
In other words, he's in a great situation, a situation a number of far-less heralded players could also thrive in. Carl Landry, taken 28 picks later in the very same draft, would be an All-Star in Horford's position. Let's also not forget Horford is no better than the third best player on a good, but far from great team. Not exactly a glowing achievement.

Trophy
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Another name I would like to mention is Nate Robinson.

d_c
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
In other words, he's in a great situation, a situation a number of far-less heralded players could also thrive in. Carl Landry, taken 28 picks later in the very same draft, would be an All-Star in Horford's position. Let's also not forget Horford is no better than the third best player on a good, but far from great team. Not exactly a glowing achievement.

The Hawks wouldn't be nearly as good with Landry instead of Horford. Horford is a 35 mpg fulltime starting center.

Landry is an energy guy who comes off the bench against other team's backups. Two totally different things. In addition, he's a poor rebounder and not as good a position defender. If he had to play the exact same minutes and role as Horford on the Hawks, they would get totally bludgened inside.

I suppose you could argue Josh Smith in favor of Horford for the all-star game, but calling Horford's impact overrated or of the same impact as Carl Landry is pretty ridiculous.

90'sNBARocked
02-17-2010, 07:12 PM
The Hawks wouldn't be nearly as good with Landry instead of Horford. Horford is a 35 mpg fulltime starting center.

Landry is an energy guy who comes off the bench against other team's backups. Two totally different things. In addition, he's a poor rebounder and not as good a position defender. If he had to play the exact same minutes and role as Horford on the Hawks, they would get totally bludgened inside.

I suppose you could argue Josh Smith in favor of Horford for the all-star game, but calling Horford's impact overrated or of the same impact as Carl Landry is pretty ridiculous.

Amen

Hortford is the real deal, and one I would give my left youknowwhat to obtain

pacers_heath
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
He goes from one of the most underrated players in the league last season to one of the most overrated players in the league this season?

i've noticed that's always the way it seems to go. once a player gets deemed 'underrated' he gets brought up a lot and then people suddenly talk him up to the point that he becomes 'overrated.'

I would agree that Danny Granger is overrated. He was being compared to LeBron and Kobe last year because of his stats. Danny Granger would be the third best player on the Celtics, Lakers, and Cavs - championship caliber teams. He's a first option player on a bottom feeder, second option on a East 5th seed, and third option on a contender. If he played on the Celtics he'd probably average about 16/5/2...definitely a third tier player.

pwee31
02-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Danny Granger has 97 assists this year and 96 turnovers.

I know he's a SF, but ouch from your best player

Thesterovic
02-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Danny Granger has 97 assists this year and 96 turnovers.

I know he's a SF, but ouch from your best player

It's not his fault that he has to handle the ball so much.

graphic-er
02-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I would agree that Danny Granger is overrated. He was being compared to LeBron and Kobe last year because of his stats. Danny Granger would be the third best player on the Celtics, Lakers, and Cavs - championship caliber teams. He's a first option player on a bottom feeder, second option on a East 5th seed, and third option on a contender. If he played on the Celtics he'd probably average about 16/5/2...definitely a third tier player.

Wow unbelievably inaccurate. Yes he was being conmpared to Lebron and Kobe last year because his stats, BUT also because he was incredibly clutch last year.

And in terms of Granger being on the Celtics, he plays the same position as Pierce. Last year Granger was far better than Pierce. Granger is who you would trade an aging Paul Pierce for. Garnett is washed up, I'd put Granger over him currently as well. If Granger wasn't so banged up this year, and set up to fail by playing him on a bad foot. He would still be talked about with Lebron and Kobe and Melo. Amazing how you people gloss over how this guy has averaged +22 PG on a bad foot. Sure he isn't as clutch, took more ill advised shots, and turned the ball over more, this year; but he isn't operating on all cylinders. Dude wasn't even practicing with the team for a long time. So its pretty easily to see why there is chemistry problems this year and why he seems to settle.

Maybe I just sound like an apologist. But Granger will be back next season fully healed, and better than last year.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm shocked he has 97 assists.

I didn't think he'd even thrown 97 passes.

The only reason he was second and not first is that you can't vote for teammates and half the league forgot the Pacers existed.

graphic-er
02-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Lets not overlook how the offense was run last year compared to this year.

Last year Granger touched the ball almost every possession. It was Granger and Jarret Jack and Murphy.

This year we have had a guard heavy mix. Watson, Murphy, Jones/Rush. There are so many possessions where the ball does not see Granger's side of the court. Also they don't run any screens or picks for Granger this year.

pacers_heath
02-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Wow unbelievably inaccurate. Yes he was being conmpared to Lebron and Kobe last year because his stats, BUT also because he was incredibly clutch last year.

And in terms of Granger being on the Celtics, he plays the same position as Pierce. Last year Granger was far better than Pierce. Granger is who you would trade an aging Paul Pierce for. Garnett is washed up, I'd put Granger over him currently as well. If Granger wasn't so banged up this year, and set up to fail by playing him on a bad foot. He would still be talked about with Lebron and Kobe and Melo. Amazing how you people gloss over how this guy has averaged +22 PG on a bad foot. Sure he isn't as clutch, took more ill advised shots, and turned the ball over more, this year; but he isn't operating on all cylinders. Dude wasn't even practicing with the team for a long time. So its pretty easily to see why there is chemistry problems this year and why he seems to settle.

Maybe I just sound like an apologist. But Granger will be back next season fully healed, and better than last year.

I disagree completely about him being better than Garnett or Pierce. He might have more trade value because he is younger, but he can't change the game the way either of those players can. I'd have to say most people would probably agree. Granger has Ray Allen beat, but honestly not by much. Turn the clock back a few years and I'd take Allen.

pacers_heath
02-18-2010, 02:39 AM
I disagree completely about him being better than Garnett or Pierce. He might have more trade value because he is younger, but he can't change the game the way either of those players can. I'd have to say most people would probably agree. Granger has Ray Allen beat, but honestly not by much. Turn the clock back a few years and I'd take Allen.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/46066/nbas_top_50_players_all-star_panel_picks_kobe_bryant_no._1_over_lebron_jam es

7. Kevin Garnett
10. Paul Pierce
27. Ray Allen
31. Danny Granger

This list is from December. I don't agree with the list completely, Garnett is definitely too high, but just showing that my claim that he'd be the third option on the Celtics is pretty reasonable. He'd be fourth according to this.

graphic-er
02-18-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/46066/nbas_top_50_players_all-star_panel_picks_kobe_bryant_no._1_over_lebron_jam es

7. Kevin Garnett
10. Paul Pierce
27. Ray Allen
31. Danny Granger

This list is from December. I don't agree with the list completely, Garnett is definitely too high, but just showing that my claim that he'd be the third option on the Celtics is pretty reasonable. He'd be fourth according to this.

Polls don't mean anything. Garnett is not a great player anymore. He only has name recognition anymore. Look at this stats for just his time with Boston, steady drop every season. This year Paul Pierce is averaging less than Granger in pts, rebounds, and only slightly more assists than Granger. The truth lies in the fact that its 3 talented guys one team in Boston vs. one talented guy in Indiana. You put Granger on Boston in place of Pierce and Boston would have the best record in the east easily, and Granger would be their #1 option.

BRushWithDeath
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Polls don't mean anything. Garnett is not a great player anymore. He only has name recognition anymore. Look at this stats for just his time with Boston, steady drop every season. This year Paul Pierce is averaging less than Granger in pts, rebounds, and only slightly more assists than Granger. The truth lies in the fact that its 3 talented guys one team in Boston vs. one talented guy in Indiana. You put Granger on Boston in place of Pierce and Boston would have the best record in the east easily, and Granger would be their #1 option.

Granger is not better than Pierce. Not by a long shot.

pwee31
02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Sadly I personally don't think Granger cares this year. I think that everything has gotten to him. The losing, injuries, teammates, coaches. I think he is pretty much just going through the motions

Not what you want from your leader, but I understand the frustration.

Danny likes to win, which is a good thing. Though it may be bad for the Pacers if they continue to lose. I think Granger has let the franchise player, all-star nod last year get to his head some, which is fine if he uses it for confidence, but bad if he starts feeling superior to his teammates, coaches, and organization all together

pacers_heath
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM

No way. Paul Pierce was putting up better numbers than Granger before Garnett and Ray came. Does Granger have the potential to be better than Pierce? Absolutely...but he has not proven himself to be better than Garnett or Pierce. The fact that you believe this says enough about him being overrated. He's not light years away and I wouldn't be surprised to change my mind after next season, but Pierce is definitely more valuable than Granger right now. Heck, thinking about it again, he might be the 5th option on the Celtics if you consider Rajon Rondo. Rondo made the all-star team this year and Granger didn't, so that seems reasonable enough too. There's definitely I legitimate case that could be made for Garnett, Pierce, Allen, and Rondo all being better than Granger. Personally, I'd put him at third amongst those five, though, but Ray and Rondo aren't far behind.

If you're gonna talk about stats, which are overvalued, consider that Pierce is shooting 47% this season and 45% from 3. Granger is shooting 40% (yikes) and 34% from 3. I know he's struggling, but he only shot 44% last season too. Pierce is averaging 4 points and 1 rebound less than Granger, and about the same number of assists. I find it hard to believe Granger's points and boards would remain as good on the Celtics, with Garnett, Allen, and Rondo all putting up great numbers. His assists would probably go up though.

Bottom line, if you think Granger is better than Pierce, you are sorely mistaken.