PDA

View Full Version : This is my favorite time of the season

Shade
02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
The couch GM in me loves hearing all of these rumors and brainstorming about how each of them could work/not work if they came to fruition. It's also fun to think about what other kinds of deals could be put together based on perceived market value of players in rumored trades. Plus, you almost always have at least one "blockbuster" trade which changes the landscape of the entire league.

I :love: the trade deadline.

Unclebuck
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I know it is. You always love this time of year. My favorite time of the year is the second round of the playoffs - there is usually at least 1 great series and another good one.

Trade deadline is sort of fun, but usually it is mostly rumors.

DEEman
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Indeed Shade! It keeps me alive as a fan right now. Always nice to sit behind the computer with a warm coffee and notice a new rumor and 2 more new pages to read on this forum.

Kegboy
02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I enjoy it, but it's tempered by the fact that not much usually gets done.

Speed
02-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Since I cheer for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 3 soon to be 4 years. My two favorite times of year are the trade deadline and the draft.

focused444
02-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I love the trade deadline also. Especially in these seasons where it's evident the Pacers aren't going to the playoffs.

Here's hoping to good fortune ahead!:buddies:

Anthem
02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
This is the week that salvages the season, or not.

Pacersfan46
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Actually this year, I think that's the day of the lottery announcement.

-- Steve --

Will Galen
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Ah . . . this season is over . . . for me as to going anywhere.

Now if we trade for someone that will be part of the core going forward, that would be nice. However, the only way this season can be looked on fondly by me is if we make a splash in the draft.

A high draft pick justifies the losing, nothing else will.

Naptown_Seth
02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
My favorite time has become the runup to the lottery. Driven by my desire to know about the prospects coming the Pacers way, I've gotten more and more into the general process, skullduggery by teams, players performing down the stretch of the NCAA season/tourney, and so on.

If I understand Shade correctly he means the overall situation, not just as it pertains to the Pacers. That's how I've become with the draft. I really have come to like some of the prospects and continue to follow them after they go to other teams. Guys like Love, Weaver, Lee, Chalmers, TWill, Mayo, Sam Young, Blair...I enjoy keeping tabs on how they are doing.

That's good for the league, getting people to take interest in the overall talent and player rosters. I think this is a HUGE benefit to the "1 and done" rules, and all the more reason for a "2 and done" IMO.

Turn these kids into household names before they hit the NBA, improve the draft process by developing them in college instead of the end of the bench, and help avoid high pick busts. To me that makes for a better NBA.

Why else would I be excited about a stupid Clips-Miami game next year were it not to see Griffin vs B-Easy, with a sub-plot of Gordon vs Wade to boot?

Is there anything worth seeing in a Nets vs Pacers game other than Hibbert vs Lopez with a dash of Rush vs CDR?

Unclebuck
02-16-2010, 03:16 PM
What no one likes the playoffs better, or the start of the season, or the start of training camp - or the actual games. I'm just weird I guess

Naptown_Seth
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't like the start of the season as much because it feels like it takes a few weeks to really get going. I'm happy to have ball back, but it's not up to speed right away.

I guess the major players and the lack of the Pacers have reduced my playoff interest. I don't like Lebron at all, haven't been a Lakers fan since Kobe arrived, hate the Celtics. Not a fan of Wade.

Training camp is 2nd on my list after the draft run-up. Sadly I think summer ball has been my 3rd favorite season point lately.

Keep in mind Buck that I devote a significant amount of time to viewing prospects. Even at 40 minute games with FFWD used whenever possible, it's still time consuming to see 20 prospects 2-3 times at the very least. We are talking 6-10 hours a week just on that. So naturally that impacts my connection to the NBA.

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen a single episode of Inside the NBA this year.

Suaveness
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I like the playoffs better....if we're playing

vnzla81
02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
I like this week, the draft lottery and the draft. I would love the playoffs but with this team a blow out would not make anybody happy

OakMoses
02-16-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm with Shade.

I was thinking the other day that I'd much rather watch 3 hours of GM's on the phone talking trades than anything else that happens during all-star weekend.

I Love P
02-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Has the date for the Draft Lottery been selected yet? I know it's always during a week day which I have to work so when its posted I'm going to ask off work because were going to have a great shot at a top 3 pick. If we have the 5th pick I hope one of the top 4 falls (Wall, Turner, Johnson, Cousins) or it will be quite interesting.

Kegboy
02-16-2010, 04:17 PM
playoffs

I don't know what that means.

PaceBalls
02-16-2010, 04:31 PM
This is the week my hopes are rekindled and the cynicism subsides for a brief time. This year in particular this is my favorite time of the season.

That said, the day after the trade deadline is usually my least favorite. When all my hopes are dashed and the cynicism comes back 2x fold :p