PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Camby to Blazers for Outlaw, Blake

bulldog
02-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Two struggling teams looked to each other for help on Monday.

The Los Angeles Clippers agreed to trade Marcus Camby to the Portland Trail Blazers for Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4917644

Camby's an expiring, so the one year rental makes a lot of sense for Portland with JoeP and Oden out. And the Clips get some talent for a guy they were gonna lose anyway. Not a bad deal for either team.

Note: All contracts involved are expiring.

Pig Nash
02-16-2010, 01:33 AM
If I were Portland I would keep Camby around as insurance for Oden.

Lance George
02-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Without bothering to look at the cap situations, this seems like a pretty good move for both teams.

bulldog
02-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Can't imagine Camby'll be around too much longer after this season. And Pryzbilla was serving that role well before he went down too. Man the Blazers have had some crappy luck this year.

But yea, if Camby doesn't retire, and you can get him at a good price, he'd be good back up/mentor for the young (old?) fella.

Pig Nash
02-16-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't think he's done after this year. You could probably keep him on a good team like Portland for about what they're paying one of their other complimentary pieces. Keep him around for 2 more years, he's a good backup plan.

CableKC
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Without bothering to look at the cap situations, this seems like a pretty good move for both teams.
There should be little to none....as bulldog mentioned.....all involved are Expiring Contracts.

I still wonder why the Clips do this.....they get decent quality back....but all they are really doing is helping out a Western Conference opponent.

The next Team to make a move IMHO would be the Nuggets. They are desperate to get some Big Man depth to get 6 more fouls to go up against the Lakers. Listening to David Aldridge this weekend in the All-Star game, they reported that they maybe interested in Tyrus Thomas as well as Ben Wallace. This season appears to be more of an "arms race" when it come to loading themselves up with the deepest rosters.

d_c
02-16-2010, 01:57 AM
I still wonder why the Clips do this

Outlaw is injured and the rest of his deal is covered by insurance.

Pacemaker
02-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Camby not happy about leaving L.A. !!! Portland's GM is a genius and with Blake gone watch-out for Bayless!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Asvf1lCi6DRxEpNLnChVQsa8vLYF?slug=mc-cambytrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Pacemaker
02-16-2010, 03:24 AM
I believe there are still a few teams looking foe a point guard and with Blake's name off the list I suppose that our chances of trading T.J. or Watson have improved ! Hopefully get a a suitor for TJ !:rolleyes:

DgR
02-16-2010, 04:04 AM

He's more than insurance- even now he's the second leading rebounder in the league, only behind Dwight Howard. And that's with Kaman on the same team.He's still a beast.

Major Cold
02-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Great this means more meaningless Bayless threads.

bulldog
02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Well, it looks like ESPN is walking their story back a bit:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4917644

One source close to the situation originally said the sides had agreed on the deal, but multiple sources later clarified that the trade is several steps from completion. A league source said "serious substantive talks" have been held and that the deal is at the "goal line" but has not received approval from either Clippers owner Donald Sterling or Blazers owner Paul Allen.

And to make it even more interesting:

In a text message to ESPNLosAngeles.com, Camby said that he "hadn't heard anything about it" from either his agent or the Clippers. He has said that he would prefer to remain in Los Angeles, but he understands why his name continues to come up in trade talks.

The deal still could unravel, a source said, because of the players involved. There has been a season-long debate in Portland over whether Blake or Andre Miller, who the Blazers signed as a free agent last summer, is a better fit at point guard next to All-Star shooting guard Brandon Roy.

vnzla81
02-16-2010, 01:20 PM
done deal, man I wanted those two guys.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmJyQBw8LNL.q2ZbqRmw.d28vLYF?slug=mc-cambytrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Clippers trading Camby to Blazers

Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby(notes) unknowingly attended his own farewell dinner on Monday night.

The Portland Trail Blazers agreed in principle Tuesday to acquire Camby from the Clippers, league sources said.

The deal only needs approval from the league office to be completed.

The trade proposal, which was first reported by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, sends Camby to Portland in exchange for forward Travis Outlaw(notes), guard Steve Blake(notes) and $3 million.

More From Marc J. SpearsBigger is better for NBA's All-Star Game Feb 15, 2010 Mavs hope trade helps them contend Feb 14, 2010 In town in advance of their Tuesday game against the Trail Blazers, the Clippers were having a team dinner at Portland’s Ringside steakhouse Monday night when Camby received a call on his cell phone from his agent, Rick Kaplan. Kaplan informed Camby that he would likely be traded to Portland.

After taking the call from Kaplan, Camby immediately walked out of the restaurant. A source close to Camby says that while he recognizes the benefits of playing for a better team, he is upset because his family is comfortably settled in Los Angeles. He had hoped to re-sign with the Clippers this summer.

“He likes the Clippers, he likes the organization, he likes L.A.,” the source said. “His wife is happy in L.A. And he’s not one for change. He’s definitely not happy about this.”

Camby also was similarly upset when the Denver Nuggets traded him to the Clippers before the start of last season. The Nuggets made an unsuccessful last-ditch attempt to bring back Camby before the Clippers’ deal with the Blazers was finalized.

Camby isn’t the only one upset.

Said one Clipper: “All the guys are upset because our best defensive player got traded basically for a backup point guard and money.”

Outlaw, 25, played in 11 games this season before breaking his left foot, and the Clippers are unsure when he’ll play again. Blake, 29, is averaging 7.6 points and four assists in 51 games.

The Blazers have been searching for some inside help to deflect the blow of losing centers Greg Oden(notes) and Joel Przybilla(notes). Some in the league also believe Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard wanted to clear the way for Jerryd Bayless(notes) to get more time in the backcourt with Andre Miller(notes).

The Clippers, meanwhile, also have been shopping forward Al Thornton(notes), who was meeting with his agent Monday in Portland.

Camby, 35, is averaging 7.7 points and 12.1 rebounds for the Clippers. He is making $9.1 million this season in the final year of his contract. Just last week, he told Yahoo! Sports he hoped the Clippers wouldn’t trade him.

“It feels good to be a wanted man, but I like it here,” Camby said.

Camby left the restaurant without most of his teammates getting a chance to tell him goodbye. He is not believed to have finished his meal.

CableKC
02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Camby has a legit reason to be unhappy. But sorry Camby, that's the way the business works when you're a Huge Expiring Contract that can actually do something useful.

Pig Nash
02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I think it's because he'd got his family settled in LA and he was similarly upset when he was traded from Denver.

DrFife
02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Didn't even finish his meal??

No wonder he "plays like he's hungry." :D