PDA

View Full Version : Lakers interested in Watson?

OakMoses
02-15-2010, 04:19 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeWatch-100215

From Chad Ford

LOS ANGELES LAKERS

Assets: Derek Fisher's expiring contract; Adam Morrison's expiring contract

L.A. has been hesitant in years past to make a trade-deadline deal. Lakers coach Phil Jackson's offense isn't easy to pick up on the fly and the team has preferred to make moves in the summer. Yes, the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol two years ago, but that deal was a no-brainer.

The Lakers' point guard play of late has raised concerns. Derek Fisher has lost another step, especially defensively. Jordan Farmar has been solid, but the Lakers believe they may need more than "solid" to get past teams like the Nuggets and Mavs.

If the Lakers want to get a point guard, they face two big issues:

First, there aren't a lot of great point guards available right now. The Bulls' Kirk Hinrich has been the name most associated with the Lakers, and the team has explored smaller deals, such as one for the Pacers' Earl Watson.

Second, a deal could be very costly. The Lakers already have the highest payroll in the league and would prefer to avoid adding more long-term commitments.

Here's one potential solution: The word out of the All-Star Game late Sunday had the Lakers recruiting the Portland Trail Blazers as a third team in trade talks with the Bulls. According to one source familiar with the discussions, the Lakers would get Hinrich, the Bulls would get Adam Morrison, Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw and Juwan Howard, and the Blazers would land Tyrus Thomas and Sasha Vujacic. Such a deal would lessen the amount of money the Lakers would be adding to their payroll next season.

Tom White
02-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Sounds like they were interested at one time, then moved on.

vnzla81
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
I say trade him for a draft pick and young player if you can, he is a free agent a no part of the future anyway.

Sookie
02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought more teams would be interested in Watson than any Pacers player.

Cheap solid point guard, with a contract ending this year.

Lakers and Cav both could use point guards.

Lance George
02-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Watson & McRoberts for Farmar & Josh Powell works.

vnzla81
02-15-2010, 04:30 PM

maybe LB and JOB don't want to trade him because 'HE GIVE US A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN"

Brad8888
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM

I agree. It seems to me like Watson is the most tradeable player, low risk, low commitment player and an easy to add sweetener for any more major trade of either Murphy or Dunleavy that would help us shed salary more quickly.

Sookie
02-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree. It seems to me like Watson is the most tradeable player, low risk, low commitment player and an easy to add sweetener for any more major trade of either Murphy or Dunleavy that would help us shed salary more quickly.

Truthfully, I think if we end up with a deal with the Cavs, I think it'll be Murphy and Watson for JJ and Z.

Justin Tyme
02-15-2010, 04:39 PM
This proposed deal has Chicago sending out 2 players and taking back 4. That puts them over 15. Who is going to get cut?

I'd take Blake b4 Watson.

tikitomoka
02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
how awesome would it be to bring morrison's trash-stache here and let it sit next to McBob's McBeard on the bench? im down for it

dustinpettit
02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
how awesome would it be to bring morrison's trash-stache here and let it sit next to McBob's McBeard on the bench? im down for it

YAAAAAAAAAA

DaveP63
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
maybe LB and JOB don't want to trade him because 'HE GIVE US A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN"

Cough, cough...Spread the floor...Cough, cough...

Smoothdave1
02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, Earl's wife is an actress, so I'm sure he would probably welcome a trade to LA.

farfrmordnary446
02-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Well, Earl's wife is an actress, so I'm sure he would probably welcome a trade to LA.

Most of his family lives out there too so that would be a bonus but i couldnt really see him fitting with the lakers system.