PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Interested In All-Star Game

I Love P
02-15-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.ibj.com/local-officials-interested-in-hosting-nba-allstar-game/PARAMS/article/16407

I also found a link on fox59.com. The story was reported Feb. 12.

Saturday night could be held at Conseco and have the game Sunday night at Lucas Oil. There is no reason we can host a Super Bowl but not an All-Star Game.

All-Star Game 2012 would be awesome to have. Month of February would be banking downtown.

BRushWithDeath
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd have to be sure to schedule a vacation for that week.

IUfan4life
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Indianapolis along with every other NBA city, and then some

Peck
02-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Walsh is obviously gone from the org.

He swore that the team would never host another all-star game for as long as he was here and he was good to his word.

The NBA actually wanted to hold the 2001 all-star game here but we delcined.

vnzla81
02-15-2010, 04:44 PM

He swore that the team would never host another all-star game for as long as he was here and he was good to his word.

why if they do it in Lucas and not in the fieldhouse could that make a difference to the pacers? nobody from the pacers is going to be invited anyway.

Infinite MAN_force
02-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Why?

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Why?

Because so few season ticket holder would get tickets. Plus the team didn't get any financial benefit from having the game here.

Smoothdave1
02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Given the success of the All-Star game in a football stadium, I could definitely see the NBA All-Star Game returning to Indy. I think the NBA will certainly look at cities with domed or covered stadiums to increase appeal.

The All-Star game is in LA next season and I believe Toronto the year after that. But you have to believe that cities like Indy, Houston, Atlanta, San Antonio, Minneapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, Phoenix again, etc. will be considered for future games given that they have Domed or Enclosed Stadiums that could host a larger crowd.

I think Cuban's big concern was that local fans would be squeezed out if the game were held at the AA Center versus Cowboys Stadium. Season ticket holders for the Mavs had a chance to go, as did the casual fan, and it seemed like everyone was happy.

Don't also forget that the All-Star game back in 1985 was held at the RCA Dome. Given the Final 4, Super Bowl, etc. I could see the All-Star Game coming back to Indy once the Convention Center expansion is complete.

Naptown_Seth
02-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Because so few season ticket holder would get tickets. Plus the team didn't get any financial benefit from having the game here.
Yeah, they've spoken out about this many times verifying that it was generally considered a financial loss for the local team and that they had no interest.

Then again I guess with Lucas and seeing what Dallas just did it might have swayed their view. Plus I suspect the general depressed NBA economy around here is motivating them to look into a spark and this would certainly be that.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Did anyone on here go to the ASG when it was held at the Hoosier Dome?

bambam
02-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Did anyone on here go to the ASG when it was held at the Hoosier Dome?

sure did. i think i was 8...lol, wow so many years ago

MillerTime
02-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Toronto has it in 2012 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Star_Game#All-Star_Game_results :D

tikitomoka
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
it would be awesome for it to come here... ASG the same year or a year after the super bowl? i'll take it

the jaddler
02-16-2010, 08:55 PM
i see that back in 1953 it was held in ft wayne....

02-16-2010, 10:30 PM

That's a shame, I think struggling teams should be able to host. I personally think it would regenerate excitment in those areas - especially Indy.

Cheers.

Bball
02-17-2010, 03:19 AM
I always wondered how the event couldn't be profitable in some form for the city and team.

Jose Slaughter
02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
The city does well but the host team has to do all the work & assume all the cost involved. I think Walsh mentioned that the 85 game cost the team about 1 million dollars. I bet it would be closer to 5 mil now.

Unclebuck
02-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Personally I would rather see the Pacers play the T-Wolves on a snowy and cold January night then go to an allstar game.