PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford speculates how CLE could trade Shaq for Murphy/Dunleavy (just talk)

SMosley21
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13214/is-cleveland-big-enough-for-amare-and-shaq

Chad Ford
ESPN

...Even if the Cavs get Stoudmire, they might attempt do a secondary trade to obtain Jamison or Murphy to fill the need for a 4 who could stretch the floor with his shooting.

Given that the Cavs have concerns about well Stoudemire and Shaquille O’Neal would fit together, the team would consider moving Shaq if it acquired Amare. For instance, the Cavs could swap O’Neal and their first-round pick to Washington for Jamison and Mike Miller. They could send the same package to Indiana in a deal for Murphy and Mike Dunleavy...

Much longer article, but I just highlighted what pertains to us. If we could shed the salaries of both Murphy and Dunleavy, get Shaq to fill some seats the rest of the season and their 1st (regardless of it's worth or lack of worth), I say we take that deal over the Murphy for Z + Hickson.

Sookie
02-15-2010, 01:10 PM
JOB would hate life if he had to play Shaq.

pianoman
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't think bird would do that unless we got a pf in return. We NEED a pf in return because we are terribly low in that dept.

Pacersfan46
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I doubt Shaq would waste time in a Pacers uniform. We'd probably buy him out immediately, and he'd go back to LA, or wait 30 days to go to Cleveland.

-- Steve --

d_c
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't think bird would do that unless we got a pf in return. We NEED a pf in return because we are terribly low in that dept.

LOL. The Pacers would do that deal in a second, and they wouldn't care if they didn't have anyone to play PF this season, or even next season for that matter. Way too much in salary savings to pass up.

vnzla81
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
he is giving an example, he is not saying that this was proposed or anything like that

pianoman
02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I could just picture O'Brien benching Shaq in favor of Roy AND Solo becase "it gives us the best possible chance of winning"

d_c
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
I could just picture O'Brien benching Shaq in favor of Roy AND Solo becase "it gives us the best possible chance of winning"

I could see them benching Shaq and then waiving him while the Simons count the money they just saved.

Sollozzo
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Even if it were to somehow happen, there is no way Shaq would ever report to us. He'd assume sit out the rest of the season and wait to become a FA this summer. He would be absolutely horrified at the thought of playing here.

ksuttonjr76
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Shaq enjoys mentoring younger players. Maybe he'll be a good guy, and give some tips to Hibbert.

ksuttonjr76
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Even if it were to somehow happen, there is no way Shaq would ever report to us. He'd assume sit out the rest of the season and wait to become a FA this summer. He would be absolutely horrified at the thought of playing here.

Shaq has never given me the impression that he's that type of player...minus the Dwight Howard incident.

BRushWithDeath
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
If the Pacers had the opportunity to rid themselves of both Murphy and Dunleavy they'd be absolutely insane to not jump all of over it. Though I could not see why anyone would take Dunleavy.

ksuttonjr76
02-15-2010, 01:26 PM

It could work...Roy backups Shaq or Shaq backups Roy. Ultimately, the Pacers would probably buy him out immediately.

vnzla81
02-15-2010, 01:36 PM
If the Pacers had the opportunity to rid themselves of both Murphy and Dunleavy they'd be absolutely insane to not jump all of over it. Though I could not see why anyone would take Dunleavy.

cleveland would not touch Dunleavy with a 317.30 miles long pole.....(Distance from Conseco to Quiken loan arenas:))

graphic-er
02-15-2010, 01:49 PM
I'd love to have Shaq for thirty games and let him mentor Roy.

Anthem
02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
No way Shaq would report to us... he wants another championship ring.

Mr_Smith
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
No shaq...no no no no no!!! No superstar will ever play for the pacers.

Sollozzo
02-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I'd love to have Shaq for thirty games and let him mentor Roy.

You think that Shaquille O'Neal, a 4 time champion and probably the most dominant, confidant big man of all time, gives a $@%# about Roy Hibbert? Shaq has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much pride, ego, and dignity to waste his time tutoring a kid on a team going nowhere except the lottery. He would laugh in your face if you asked him to mentor someone on our team. The only way Shaq is playing is if it's in significant role on a championship-caliber team. If he were somehow to be traded here, he would assume sit out the remainder of the year over suiting up for us.

Pacersfan46
02-15-2010, 02:02 PM

1) Shaq isn't a Superstar anymore.

2) I heard that same thing about the Colts too. It'll happen, one day.
-- Steve --

Mr_Smith
02-15-2010, 02:03 PM
1) Shaq isn't a Superstar anymore.

-- Steve --

Ok I'll re-word. No former or current superstar will play for the pacers. That better??

Hicks
02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm changing the thread title. It suggests an actual report, when in fact it's just the author's speculation.

Sollozzo
02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
1)

-- Steve --

People want to play for the Colts because the Colts are winners and contend for championships. The Pacers are the polar opposite right now. It has nothing to do with Indiana as it does the fact that this isn't a winning atmosphere right now. Shaq is fine with playing in Cleveland (which isn't exactly LA or Miami) because it gives him a great shot at a ring. The Pacers used to be an attractive destination for players because they had a winning atmosphere.

Trophy
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah...us getting Shaq?

Pacersfan46
02-15-2010, 02:10 PM
People want to play for the Colts because the Colts are winners and contend for championships. The Pacers are the polar opposite right now. It has nothing to do with Indiana as it does the fact that this isn't a winning atmosphere right now. Shaq is fine with playing in Cleveland (which isn't exactly LA or Miami) because it gives him a great shot at a ring. The Pacers used to be an attractive destination for players because they had a winning atmosphere.

..... you think I heard that no superstars will play for the Colts while there's a superstar here? Think before you respond.

The Colts did exist before Peyton Manning, I promise. Even when people didn't want to play here, and we weren't winners. They existed. Most people don't know that though.

-- Steve --

PR07
02-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't think Shaq would report. We'd probably have to buy him out.

Will Galen
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I ran Shaq in place of big Z though ESPN's trade machine weeks ago when West was hurt. I ran it as Shaq and Hickson for Troy and TJ Ford though.

But I don't think we would do a deal with Shaq included. One, I don't think he would come here. Like Adam said, he would just set out the rest of the year. Or, he would develop an injury and just not play and collect his money.

I think what would happen if we were just going to go for an expiring and Cleveland's first is Cleveland would just sign Wally Szczerbiak and trade him and their first to us for just Troy. They would probably throw Leon Powe in because they would have to cut somebody anyway, and we would be short of power forwards.

The more I think about it the more I think that's what would happen because Cleveland wouldn't want to be without both Z and Shaq for a month.

Plus if Cleveland gets to the finals against the Lakers it would be better to have both Z and Shaq in case one got hurt before hand.

I don't know if we would do a trade for Cleveland's first though. The last few picks in the first round aren't as valuble as the first picks in the 2nd round because all first round picks are guarenteed a certain salary while 2nd round picks aren't. If we did it, it would probably mostly just be a salary dump to get under the tax.

esabyrn333
02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
..... you think I heard that no superstars will play for the Colts while there's a superstar here? Think before you respond.

The Colts did exist before Peyton Manning, I promise. Even when people didn't want to play here, and we weren't winners. They existed. Most people don't know that though.

-- Steve --

I loved the comeback colts with Jim Haurbaugh, Faulk goes down and Zack Crocket steps up

That was almost a superbowl team and would have been if we had replay at the time. Kordell Stewart ran out of the back of the endzone and came back in to catch the go ahead touchdown.

F-n BS no need for a hail marry at the end of the game if Refs had done thier jobs :mad:

kellogg
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM

I hate life watching him coach...

Trader Joe
02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Shaq has never given me the impression that he's that type of player...minus the Dwight Howard incident.

Are you kidding? Don't you remember when the Lakers were trying to move him?

BRushWithDeath
02-15-2010, 04:38 PM
It's all moot. Nobody is taking Dunleavy. Especially a legit title contender. He's a terrible player with a worse contract. Shaq at least has merit for a team.

SMosley21
02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
According to one of my buddies, they were just talking about the possible Shaq for Murphy + Dunleavy deal on Around The Horn. I wasn't watching so I don't know exactly what was said, but he says that supposedly the deal is an actual possibility.

DaveP63
02-15-2010, 08:55 PM

Obviously, Shaq cannot stretch the floor....

NapTonius Monk
02-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Great avatar of the cut up Chuck. The current Chuck looks like he ate that Chuck whole.

Smoothdave1
02-15-2010, 09:52 PM
You think that Shaquille O'Neal, a 4 time champion and probably the most dominant, confidant big man of all time, gives a $@%# about Roy Hibbert? Shaq has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much pride, ego, and dignity to waste his time tutoring a kid on a team going nowhere except the lottery. He would laugh in your face if you asked him to mentor someone on our team. The only way Shaq is playing is if it's in significant role on a championship-caliber team. If he were somehow to be traded here, he would assume sit out the remainder of the year over suiting up for us.

Actually, I was at the Pacers-Phoenix game last season and was in the Best Locker Room after the game and guess who comes over to talk to Roy after the game? That's right, Shaq. Shaq spent a good 10-15 minutes talking and encouraging Roy after the game and you could see through their hand motions that Shaq was giving Roy some advice and teaching him a few things.

Will Galen
02-15-2010, 10:57 PM
You know what would be absolutely great! To enlarge this trade to include TJ Ford.

Troy, Dun, TJ, for Shaq, who we buyout, Hickson, Powe, and say Danny Green.

It would give Cleveland what it really doesn't have, good depth.

We would thus clean about $26 million off our books for next year. But most importantly . . . it would chop a year off our rebuilding process. We would be about $13m under the cap. The cap mind you, not the tax.

We could afford a near max contract next year ourselves. And then the next year we would lose another $12m from Foster and Tinsley's salary's.

Sookie
02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
You know what would be absolutely great! To enlarge this trade to include TJ Ford.

We would thus clean about $26 million off our books for next year. But most importantly . . . it would chop a year off our rebuilding process. We would be about $13m under the cap. The cap mind you, not the tax.

We could afford a near max contract next year ourselves. And then the next year we would lose another $12m from Foster and Tinsley's salary's.

lol..maybe Troy Dun and TJ would be more "inspired" on a good team.

But I doubt switching teams fixes TJ's decision making, Dun's poor shooting, adn Troy's defensive suckiness.

kielbeze
02-15-2010, 11:29 PM

I find myself wondering why you are a member here if your opinion of this team is that low.
I bet when we were in the finals you were the guy who told everyone about how you were the biggest pacers fan ever and fully supported them, and then said i told you so when they lost.

joeyd
02-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Wouldn't want Shaq unless he promises to endeavors to hit more than 55% of his free throws. His missed free throws would frustrate me!

Thesterovic
02-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Why would Cleveland want to take our salary hell and put it in their hands? This is illogical to say the least.

Justin Tyme
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM

While you are dreaming, could we just trade teams too?

PR07
02-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Troy Murphy is a nice player and makes a lot of sense for the Cavs, but I can't see them taking on an additional 20 million of salary or so (with him + Dunleavy), just so the Cavs can add him. Troy Murphy isn't going to keep LeBron in Cleveland. if anything trading a big name and media force like Shaq, when he's only arrived for a half a season, may drive him away.

Tom White
02-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Obviously, Shaq cannot stretch the floor....

I dunno. I bet he could if he was mad, and pulled really hard.

spreedom
02-16-2010, 12:51 PM

Shaq has never had a shred of dignity in his professional career... through charitable contributions and such he's been admirable, but as far as I'm concerned he's always been a look-at-me player who is a frontrunner and is very quick to deflect any blame when his team loses.

I would buy him out immediately just to keep him off of my team.

Sookie
02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Shaq has never had a shred of dignity in his professional career... through charitable contributions and such he's been admirable, but as far as I'm concerned he's always been a look-at-me player who is a frontrunner and is very quick to deflect any blame when his team loses.

I would buy him out immediately just to keep him off of my team.

I dunno.

If he would stay, I'd keep him.

We'd got more butts in seats, Roy would most definitely get time as Shaq can not play nearly as much as Murphy. He could also help Roy out. And it would force JOB to play a normal style.

Speed
02-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Like said before, Shaq was brought in to play Orlando/Dwight Howard in the playoffs. I can't see them trading him unless it's certain, he's bought out/resigned.

count55
02-16-2010, 06:03 PM
From Windhorst

PDcavsinsider

Anyone who thinks the Cavs are trading Shaq has absolutely no grasp of reality. Been awhile since a game, but remember Cavs are 43-11.