PDA

View Full Version : Pacers losing money by the barrel

90'sNBARocked
02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35401379/ns/sports-nba/

Stern said the NBA is losing $400 million this year and has lost at least $200 million a year for the four previous years. Other sources say that among the teams losing money by the barrel are Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit, Miami, Orlando, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Indiana, New Jersey, Minnesota, Charlotte, Milwaukee and Philadelphia.

I guess this was common knowledge but have never heard it described as "by the barrels"

Stern has a point about the league and its revenue, the NFL however is extreemly profitable yet they want the players to take an 18% pay cut

bulldog
02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
You know how we all think the Stoudemire to CLE rumors were leaked as a bargaining chip for the Murphy trade?

These figures were leaked as a bargaining chip by Stern for the new CBA negotiations. Apparently the two sides are pretty far apart and had a really unproductive meeting right before the All-Star Break.

Not saying the figures are wrong, but it's obvious why the stories are coming out now, and I'm not surprised that teams are losing money when they have such huge fixed costs (players salaries) in the midst of the Great Recession, when people have really cut back spending on non-essentials. I think the long-term outlook for a lot of these teams is a lot brighter than their outlook this year.

avoidingtheclowns
02-15-2010, 11:40 AM
It seems pretty irresponsible for NBA teams to keep their money in barrels.

2minutes twowa
02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
It seems pretty irresponsible for NBA teams to keep their money in barrels.
:picardriker::laugh:

ksuttonjr76
02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm surprised that Orlando and ATL were mentioned.

d_c
02-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Atlanta has not had good attendance for years.

Orlando has an $80M payroll. They are roughly $14M over the luxury tax, which means it's really a $94 payroll.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Winning and making money are not correlated.

Note that the Clippers are rarely on the "losing money" list. Sterling runs them like a business.

graphic-er
02-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Barkley said it best though, though the players would be stupid to let a lock out happen. We're talking about millionaires arguing over a couple million dollars. Everyone still gonna make alot of money, well not the Pacers, because they signed a lopsided royalty contract with several defunct teams from the ABA. You'd think the simons would of offered them a buy out, or even the league step up and offer a buy out.

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Atlanta has pretty good attendance but they still comp a lot of tickets and I think their overall ticket prices are low.

The Magic sell out every game and I don't think they compa hardly any tickets, but they play in an outdated arena. next year they move into their new place with club seats, more suites.......

My guess is off the top of my head - I bet the Pacers easily lose over $20M this season - wouldn't be surprised if it os well over $30M

90'sNBARocked
02-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Note that the Clippers are rarely on the "losing money" list. Sterling runs them like a business.

agreed

However, losing money and losing are

the jaddler
02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
And where can I find these barrels of lost money???

vnzla81
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM

under Jamal Tinsley's bed..........

Naptown_Seth
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM

What business, a 3rd world sweat shop? That's a "business".

:-p

EJ is toiling away in the Staples basement sewing Clippers logos onto uniforms every night.

Hoop
02-15-2010, 06:13 PM
What could it hurt to eat another couple million and go ahead and can JOB early? That's just the skim off the top of one those barrels.

Putnam
02-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Especially not in St. Louis.

The Spirits haven't won a game or sold a ticket since 1976, and they're still making money.

Young
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Nearly half of the teams in the league are losing money "by the barrel". So by that I am thinking these are just the teams losing ALOT of money.

Something is very wrong there. I would think the league and teams have plans to make some big changes as to how they do business. I would think the CBA is only the beginning...

Pacersfan46
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Nearly half of the teams in the league are losing money "by the barrel". So by that I am thinking these are just the teams losing ALOT of money.

Something is very wrong there. I would think the league and teams have plans to make some big changes as to how they do business. I would think the CBA is only the beginning...

Anyone think they might crack down on people illegally watching internet feeds of games? I really don't know, but sometimes business do crazy things when the pressure is on.

Maybe Hicks is psychic and saw this coming. ;)

-- Steve --

ksuttonjr76
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Especially not in St. Louis.

The Spirits haven't won a game or sold a ticket since 1976, and they're still making money.

Seriously?

Smoothdave1
02-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Seriously?

The Spirits worked out a deal with the surviving ABA teams so that they received a percentage of their future revenues forever (I think). Needless to say, given the NBA's increase in popularity in the 1980's and 1990's, they've made a ton of money.

MLB007
02-15-2010, 10:00 PM

You walk the beaches, early in the morning. ;)

Bball
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABA–NBA_merger

ChicagoJ
02-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Each of the former ABA teams gives 1/7th of their national tv money to the former owners of the Spirits and will do so in pertpetuity (in other words, forever).

The NBA only wanted four teams and that was the way the Nets/ Pacers/ Spurs/ Nuggets got the Spirits to walk away from the NBA.