PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad & The Ugly From All-Star Saturday (PER REALGM)

Kemo
02-14-2010, 08:16 PM
PER REALGM

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly From All-Star Saturday
14th February, 2010 - 1:32 pm
http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/1622/20100214/the_good_the_bad_&_the_ugly_from_all_star_saturday/

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Pierce_Paul_bos_091122.jpg

By Jarrod Rudolph

All-Star Saturday night supplied us with a few thrills and a few disappointments. Overall the event was mildly entertaining. Let’s take a look at the good bad and the ugly of All-Star Saturday night.

The Good

Paul Pierce’s victory in the three-point shootout was great. A win by the best player – and statistically best three-point shooter in this year’s field – was an appropriate result to the contest.

“I worked on it,” Pierce said. “I really took pride on it from ’02 when I came in and stunk it up. This is something I really wanted to do and really wanted to show everybody that I could put on a better performance and what better way than by bring home the trophy.”

The Skills Challenge, despite Pierce’s great shooting, was the evening’s best event. Featuring a couple of All-Stars, the participants in the Skills Challenge seemed a little more interested in winning than the guys in the other contests.

Steve Nash, a seven-time NBA All-Star, fought off a competitive field and a lack of rest to win his second Skills Challenge.

“Got in at 7:00 (AM),” Nash said. “Got a little bit of sleep before practice this morning. But it makes it okay when you win a resume-builder like this.”

The Skills Challenge continues to be the best event of All-Star Saturday because of the involvement of the league’s top-tier players and the skills they bring to the competition. The field of Nash, Deron Williams, Brandon Jennings and Russell Westbrook was, in my opinion, must see TV and the guys didn’t fail to disappoint.

The Bad

The events of All-Star Saturday are in place to bring an entertainment element to the best All-Star break in sports. This year’s event, however, felt a bit forced. Pierce’s performance should be appreciated, but it would have been nice to see some of the league’s best three-point shooters participate in the event. A shootout between J.J. Redick, Jason Kapono, Pierce and Anthony Morrow would be as entertaining as watching Dwight Howard go up against Josh Smith in the dunk contest.

The events need stars, no doubt, but if the league is unable to get the biggest names to participate in the events they should go after the guys that do it the best.

The Skills Challenge shouldn’t be the best event of the evening; if they league selects a few different guys it won’t be.

The Ugly

Let’s first state the obvious – the dunk contest wasn’t great. The contest may have been the worst dunk contest of all-time.

Nate Robinson becoming the first three-time champion was nice to see, but his package of dunks won’t have people talking for more than a couple of hours. Robinson benefited from the lack of creative dunkers that made up this year’s field.

Gerald Wallace didn’t seem very interested and Shannon Brown clearly spent most of his time developing his website because his dunks lacked any real creativity. DeMar DeRozan did a good job – he probably should have won – but he also didn’t offer anything that would provide anything other than a quick roar.

You have to wonder what the dunk contest become. Superstars are needed in this event more than the others, but there isn’t anything about this year’s contest that leads me to believe LeBron James, Dwight Howard or any other All-Star will enter.

Kemo
02-14-2010, 08:19 PM
The Skills Challenge continues to be the best event of All-Star Saturday because of the involvement of the league’s top-tier players and the skills they bring to the competition. The field of Nash, Deron Williams, Brandon Jennings and Russell Westbrook was, in my opinion, must see TV and the guys didn’t fail to disappoint.

LOL , is it me, or does this comment bolded NOT make any sense in context to the article? roflmao

I think what he meant was.. " the guys didn't disappoint" or "didn't fail to come through on all star weekend"

lol

But , I agree .. so far all star weekend has sucked IMO... It really has gone downhill ...

It seems to be a hollow shell of it's former self..
The NBA and Stern REALLY need to do something to revamp all star weekend...
I have never seen it , in recent memory , be so bad..

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 08:38 PM
They should do away with the dunk contest if LeBron doesn't do it next year.

Lance George
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
They should lower the rims to 6' and have a midget slam dunk contest. Or even better, widen the rims and have the players dunk midgets instead of basketballs.

Kemo
02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Yya, you KNOW it is pretty horrid, when you have Reggie and the other announcers joking about walking out during the dunk contest ..lol

First time I have EVER heard comments like that ..

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 08:55 PM
No one wants to see people dunk, they want to see Lebron dunk, or a midget that likes t********g people bigger than him in the shower. So do away with it; Lebron doesn't want to, and Nate has ran out of things to do.

Personally, I'd like to see a full court streetball 3 on 3 game, just to really see what these guys can do with the ball, with all point guards or shooting guards. Just imagine CP3, John Wall, and DRose vs. Rondo, Williams, and Chauncey just to really see what these guys can do on the fast break. Of course you would have to use a game clock instead of 21, because they would make Jason Williams look like Gary Payton at defense.

LG33
02-14-2010, 09:02 PM
“Got in at 7:00 (AM),” Nash said. “Got a little bit of sleep before practice this morning. But it makes it okay when you win a resume-builder like this.”

Nash was the highlight of my All-Star weekend, though I liked Pierce's win too (I was always a bigger fan of Paul's than his talent should dictate). Nate Robinson shouldn't have any dunk contest wins, let alone three straight.

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Agreed Nash, Williams, Curry, and Pierce all did an exceptionally well job to make this entertaining.

idioteque
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
If life were fair (it isn't) the NBA should just force Lebron, Josh Smith, whoever to be in the dunk contest. Why not? Where else are they going make the kind of money they are making playing basketball? It would be a great treat for the fans.

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Hate him or not, Josh McRoberts would have won this year's contest hands down. He does better dunks during warmups and games than these guys do during the dunk contest.

KnicksRGarbage
02-14-2010, 10:11 PM
I was pretty :censored: off when it got to the dunk contest. I sat through the events leading up to it just to see some garb they called the dunk contest? Im a six foot tall white guy and I could have impressed 'Nique and Spud Webb more than those clowns did last night. And i wouldnt even had to have dunked to do it either. Steve Nash certainly made me laugh more than once last night, and horse got boring with all the missed shots and its too bad it had to end on a shootout. but i was not happy i wasted my evening for that. that could have been a good 2.5 hrs on xbox man...
And like it was said above, it's a bad thing when Reggie Miller is saying those are dunks that he sees and can do at the Rec center in town.
Man epic, epic, epic fail.

Ps. Nate Robinson FTL

Addendum: Sir Charles is hands down THE highlight and best part of this weekend.

Anthem
02-14-2010, 11:05 PM
You know what would be better than HORSE?

Mr_Smith
02-14-2010, 11:08 PM
The dunk contest this year was the worst EVER...hands down

LG33
02-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Holy ****, LeBron James.

DGPR
02-14-2010, 11:51 PM
The HORSE contest was boring and bland as regular oatmeal and the dunk contest was absolutely terrible. Needed more star power!

vnzla81
02-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Shakira and Alicia Key were the best of the weekend.................:drool::drool:

Lance George
02-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Looks like we're gonna have a good finish.

Hoop
02-15-2010, 12:46 AM
I didn't watch the dunk contest, I've boycotted it ever since that little p*cker head won after getting 150 attempts a few years ago. Sounds like a good thing I didn't watch, I might have broken my TV.

I didn't watch any of the all star Saturday stuff for the first time in years. The All Star game tonight wasn't to bad, I guess. I'll try to catch the rookie game on a replay.

DGPR
02-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Reggie Miller had one of the funniest quotes of the night saying something along the lines that they are doing some of the same dunks he does at the rec center on weekends. They were pretty bad but not since Larry Hughes has somebody looked so unimpressive in a dunk contest (yes I'm talking about you Gerald Wallace).

KnicksRGarbage
02-15-2010, 01:25 AM
haha yeah, Gerald Wallace should NEVER even be allowed to dunk a ball again.
Your nickname is Crash??
Yeah, Crash and bloody burn like the Hindenburg.

Dr. Awesome
02-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Yya, you KNOW it is pretty horrid, when you have Reggie and the other announcers joking about walking out during the dunk contest ..lol

First time I have EVER heard comments like that ..

My favorite part was when Reggie said something along the lines of "This is pathetic, I should just go put on my sneakers and show these guys hows its done." and Barkley followed with "Please, don't make us que up the tape of Tayshaun Prince chasing you down."
:laugh:

The sad part was, a high school dunk contest honestly would have been more fun to watch than that crap. They should suspend those guys a few games for wasting the fans time.

Trophy
02-15-2010, 01:28 AM
I still like the 3 point shootout as my favorite event.

Danny really sucked the fun out of it last year.

Bball
02-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Hate him or not, Josh McRoberts would have won this year's contest hands down. He does better dunks during warmups and games than these guys do during the dunk contest.

I had to double-check who posted this... I thought it might've been Naptown Seth! ;)

Mourning
02-15-2010, 06:39 AM
You know what would be better than HORSE?

I LOVE that game :).