PDA

View Full Version : We'd talked about our weak schedule, but I didn't realize how bad it was.

Anthem
02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
This is amazing. Go read this immediately:

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2010/02/advanced-stat-talk-a-different-way-to-look-at-strength-of-schedule/

Summary: Going purely by the classic strength of schedule stat (win-loss records of our opponents), the Pacers are second-to-last in the league. Only Philly has had an easier schedule.

In terms of who we've won against, it's even worse. We're dead last in the league.

Those hoping for John Wall might be in better luck than you'd imagined. And those worried that the Pacers might once again just barely miss the playoffs probably don't have much to worry about.

vnzla81
02-14-2010, 06:54 PM
good, I don't want John Wall I want Evan Turner;)

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd just like multiple picks. I trust Bird with the people he's drafted. I really hope we get one or two more 1sts.

Naptown_Seth
02-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Ditto.

I don't trade down out of #2. Too bad Wesley is playing his way out of the mix, and it might be too late for Aminu to play up to #2 himself. Looks like it's a top 2 pick or healthy drop unless you can get Cousins on some good meds. :)

BTW, I just read the article before swinging by here. Good lord. It's like hearing a disaster casualty list go up. You knew it was bad but somehow it just got worse without anything new actually happening.

DGPR
02-14-2010, 11:04 PM
So in other words we are actually a worse team than we thought? Go John Wall!

vnzla81
02-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Ditto.

I don't trade down out of #2. Too bad Wesley is playing his way out of the mix, and it might be too late for Aminu to play up to #2 himself. Looks like it's a top 2 pick or healthy drop unless you can get Cousins on some good meds. :)

yeah Wesley is moving down, he got hurt last week and has not been the same. I hope somebody takes Cousin second in case the pacers have a 3th or 4th pick so we can get ET

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
We rock!

Mourning
02-15-2010, 05:42 AM

I'd settle for either one of them ;).

We rock!

:jules:

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Over the next 11 games the weak schedule gets a huge upgrade.

Sparhawk
02-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I read over that yesterday. I was kinda surprised yesterday as well, but I wonder how the Pacers strength of schedule is the rest of the way? I didn't see that in the article.

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I read over that yesterday. I was kinda surprised yesterday as well, but I wonder how the Pacers strength of schedule is the rest of the way? I didn't see that in the article.

I'm sure it is tougher the rest of the way. Although playing in the Eastern conference will keep the schedule less difficult than for the western teams.

Here is the next 11 games.

Spurs
@NO
@Rockets
@Dallas
@Chicago
Bucks
Bulls
@lakers
@Portland
@Denver
@Phoenix

and beyond that the pacers still have the following tough games - I'll list the games against at or above .500

@Boston
@Cleveland
Bobcats
Thunder
Jazz
@Atlanta
Rockets
@Cleveland
Magic

count55
02-15-2010, 09:57 AM

SoS remaining games is .522.

SoSHR rest of the year is .523.

I don't have all of the numbers, but I'd bet it was among the toughest remaining schedules.

Anthem
02-15-2010, 10:24 AM
SoS remaining games is .522.

SoSHR rest of the year is .523.

I don't have all of the numbers, but I'd bet it was among the toughest remaining schedules.
Well by the end of the year everybody's SoS is the same. So if we have the weakest so far, then we have the toughest remaining.

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Well by the end of the year everybody's SoS is the same. So if we have the weakest so far, then we have the toughest remaining.

Not to split hairs. But teams don't play the same SoS. All the east teams play the west teams 2 times and vice versa.

But within your own conference you either play each team 3 or 4 times, so there is some differences there

count55
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM

No, not everybody's is the the same, because not everyone plays each team the same amount of games. The simplest example I can think of is that teams out West only get to play the Nets twice, while Eastern Conference teams get them 3 or 4 times.

Last year was pretty balanced, with the Pacers having the "toughest" at .506, and the Spurs, Lakers, and Jazz the "weakest" at .496.

However, the two years prior, there was a 20 point spread between toughest and weakest.

Anthem
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Not to split hairs. But teams don't play the same SoS. All the east teams play the west teams 2 times and vice versa.

But within your own conference you either play each team 3 or 4 times, so there is some differences there
Ok, that's a fair point. Still, I'd bet that we have one of the 3 or 4 hardest schedules remaining.

count55
02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Ok, that's a fair point. Still, I'd bet that we have one of the 3 or 4 hardest schedules remaining.

7th.

Re-wrote the end...I'd added a paragraph last night noting the .523, but I just re-did it to look at the rest of the league.

Only changes in the last few paragraphs.

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2010/02/advanced-stat-talk-a-different-way-to-look-at-strength-of-schedule/