PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Favors

Trophy
02-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I was looking at some highlights of him and his defense is really good. I think he and Roy would be big defensive stops playing together. Also either he or Tyler would start and one backs up the other at PF.

It won't be easy to determine if he will be available when we select which currently appears to be the 5th pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19377&draftyear=2010

This is from a little over 2 years ago.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xO4hLIP6-ic&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xO4hLIP6-ic&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

esabyrn333
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Personally I would take Favors with the first pick in the draft. I think he is going to be a beast in the NBA and he doesn't seem to have the bad rep that Cousins has sournding him.

owl
02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Favors or Cousins is who I would like to see opposite Roy. The more athletic and quick and
powerful the better.

Hicks
02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Favors or Cousins is who I would like to see opposite Roy. The more athletic and quick and
powerful the better.

I like Favors from what I've read/seen, but I don't Cousins. Lots of baggage, as I understand it.

vnzla81
02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I like Favors from what I've read/seen, but I don't Cousins. Lots of baggage, as I understand it.

Favors still developing he is young and if he gets drafted it would be for potential, knowing Larry Bird draft record he would go with an older guy somebody who is already showing that they can play in the NBA. In this draft are going to be like 20 PF's, if the scouts do a pretty good job this year they could get a really good player in the second round.

Justin Tyme
02-14-2010, 07:19 PM
I watched the 1st half of the KY/Ten game last night, and what I saw of Cousins with his attitude is a walking time bomb.

I have no idea who won the game or how Cousins played the 2nd half, but from what I saw Cousins isn't the type player I would want wearing a Pacers uni.

I have a friend in KY that is an avid KY fan, going back to Rupp, and their comment is Cousins is a handful for John C.

vnzla81
02-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Marcus Morris is one guy I been paying attention to he is a PF who can shoot from almost anywhere, he can post up, really good defender, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDt0AeWo-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYep6yAodMs

Infinite MAN_force
02-14-2010, 08:14 PM
The early reports on Favors that I heard compared him to Amare, but the more I read it sounds like he is a lot stronger on the defensive end and kind of raw on offense. So if he is the "defense first" version of Amare, he sounds like exactly the kind of big we need. An extremely athletic defensive oriented PF who is big enough to also play center, and still has the potential to develop an offensive game. Sounds like a nice compliment to Roy.

I wouldn't touch Cousins with a ten foot pole. Huge character red flags. As far as I can see Favors would be my #3 guy after Wall and Turner.

Lance George
02-14-2010, 08:20 PM
If we walked out of the 2010 draft with Derrick Favors I would be very happy. He hasn't blown up like a lot of freshman have lately, but he's still a highly athletic PF with a complete game and near unlimited upside. I've also heard he's a great guy with a willingness to learn. He's definitely the kind of player we need.

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I would be extremely pleased to say the least if we got Favors with the #5 pick. Hypothetically speaking, if he stuck around until his senior year, he'd average 15rebounds and 4 blocks once he got used to everything in the NCAA like Gani Lawal has had the chance to do. He is the perfect player to put next to Roy, and Tyler off the bench can bring the toughness, defense, hustle, and free throw shooting to possibly make this the best trio of bigs in the league. :laugh:

idioteque
02-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Favors will most likely be a Top 3 pick in the draft. He probably won't be available when the Pacers pick.

Favors is in a class all by himself when it comes to bigs in this draft. Taking him at 5 or wherever we end up picking would probably be a no-brainer.

Bird will stay far away from Cousins. No need to worry 'bout that.

Naptown_Seth
02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Personally I try to avoid adding too much to these one-off threads when we have a very active prospects thread that can quickly be searched by names.

That said, I just started looking at the GaTech vs Wake game and I was going to drop into the prospect thread to express my serious change of heart on Favors.

I've been pushing for him as a 4-5 pick due to his size and athletic potential, but I've flipped on him lately because of his utter lack of ability to contribute nearly anything to games. He's only slightly more of an impact guy than Ed Davis, who I would certainly pass on in the 4-6 range.

In the GT Wake game, at least the first half, it's clear that Aminu and Lawal are MILES ahead of him. Not a year, more like a career's worth of improvement. To me that's a major, major risk, drafting him high and praying he learns the sport.

He should have Aminu by size and strength, and he has great quickness too, but Aminu is just putting him to shame.

I've said the same about Lawal in many posts, but due to his physical stature I kept placing Favors up there anyway (as have the mocks). At this point I don't see how that can keep up.

People get on here all the time and rave about whichever guy has a great mixtape, but I've seen guys like Garcia (Seattle) or Brackins (Iowa St) make those same amazing moves yet not show they can definitely be a top PLAYER either.

Favors is almost done with conference play and has yet to really have an impact game, one where he was the force that all others stood in awe of. Lawal has had tons of them.

Why take Favors and hope he develops when you can take guys like Aminu or Lawal who already have developed?

I can tell you why others do this - they pray that somehow he will develop and that extra 1-2 inches or 20 pounds will totally destroy anything those other players can do. I'm just not sold on that anymore.

Frankly I think Love and Blair proved my points the last 2 years anyway. Basketball is a set of skills built upon a set of abilities. You need ability, but the skills prove that there are a lot of variations of what abilities can be turned into skills. We get caught up in the obvious ones, the jumping and speed, but those are worthless if they aren't honed into a skill applicable to a majority of the plays you are involved in.

Favors is long overdue to start showing any development of a skill set. What happens when he has to jump over the backs of guys like Lawal, Booker or Ndiaye who have carved him out of the post space with hip strength and technique? Fouls and less rebounds is what happens.

Favors will get rated high so he won't stay in school. But like Ed Davis, he should stay because he's not ready for the NBA yet.

Cousins is a head case, but he does have a skill set that applies very strongly to a positive outcome. He worries me, but not more than Favors never panning out does.

Thesterovic
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Not to beat the horse about him, but Bill Russell wasn't a very good basketball player when he played with San Francisco. But now look at what he has become. Same with Josh Smith, Kendrick Perkins, Jermaine O'Neal, and Dwight Howard. And then you have the Emeka Okafors, Ike Diogus, Greg Odens etc.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just putting some thoughts out there.

Noodle
02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe, unless Cousins is available. Bird needs to risk it on Cousins. His youthful antics could deter teams from choosing him so high, which might allow him to fall to the Pacers. I believe teams who pass on this kid will regret it for a long time.

Justin Tyme
02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Maybe, unless Cousins is available. Bird needs to risk it on Cousins. His youthful antics could deter teams from choosing him so high, which might allow him to fall to the Pacers. I believe teams who pass on this kid will regret it for a long time.

One more time, how can Herb Simon chance another problem? Look what those previous problems caused to the image of this once proud organization not to mention the loss of money that ownership has had to endure. Ownership can't afford anymore PR nightmares. Cousins won't be drafted by the Pacers if he's available when it's time to pick.